So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

On 9/10/2019 at 8:11 AM, WarpSpasm said:

Myself and Gman are both playing singleplayer, not sure if it's something to do with SP settings or not.

If you try it please let me know if it works, this situation is interesting to me.

this whole last week I spent 2hrs a day looking for a giga on official from the center of the island and all around the north east area of the map, and would you believe I couldn't find a single giga to attempt this with?  so still no luck, this weekend im going to be spending a lot of time on Extinction, so won't be looking then.  one thing did notice, there seems to be a heck of a lot more lvl 5-20 dinos everywhere, even in the hard areas then before.

I did notice something with my singleplayer island map vs. official - the tek cave won't allow me to uncryo dino's just inside the entrance, or even outside of it after the doors been opened when I can do that on official.  And the one cave that was removed on official in the nw corner of the map for getting a artifact from still exists on my single player map even though it has the new biomes, so something fishy is going on with my single player island map, may have to upload the dino's and items there and delete the save and restart it :(

=====================
What I did in ark today
=====================

Today on extinction I found a nice little raised platform with lots of plants on it that was covered, no one had claimed the spot so I quickly threw down pillars on it, then built dino gates and gated it off.  After that I proceeded to transfer my baby monkeys over and releasing them all in that pen set to wander.  Now my baby monkeys can grow up and feed themselves :) that saves some time for sure.  After they are all grown im gonna pod about half of them and leave the others there.  That way when I need monkies I can go back to the pen, wait for a baby to pop, and claim it :), after these guys are grown I think i'll be set on monkeys for awhile though :)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Today i will breeding argy and ptera eggs, it´s my frist babies!!!! ???

Make sure you have lots of meat ready in fridges! You dont need to sit and stare at the babies either. If I remember correct 1 stack of meat = 5 minutes time for babies on official settings. Use this to your advantage and have some (small) base things to do while raising babies. Sitting idle staring at the babies is a huuuuge rookie move! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caleb68 said:

And the one cave that was removed on official in the nw corner of the map for getting a artifact from still exists on my single player map even though it has the new biomes,

Is that the artifact of the skylord cave? Had problems with the artifact not spawning there last year. New biomes? Has there been an update for the island that I have missed? I have spent my time this year hoping around the other maps setting up starter bases and getting new and interesting tames.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, WarpSpasm said:

Is that the artifact of the skylord cave? Had problems with the artifact not spawning there last year. New biomes? Has there been an update for the island that I have missed? I have spent my time this year hoping around the other maps setting up starter bases and getting new and interesting tames.

New biomes are Redwoods. He is speaking of way before your time before the Island map change. Redwoods are new (in relative) 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, d1nk said:

New biomes are Redwoods. He is speaking of way before your time before the Island map change. Redwoods are new (in relative) 

I would love to see the island pre redwood, swamps and snow biome again.

Lol the memories, when they introduced the redwoods I couldnt even look at them without dashboarding ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AngrySaltire said:

I would love to see the island pre redwood, swamps and snow biome again.

Lol the memories, when they introduced the redwoods I couldnt even look at them without dashboarding ?

I was luckily playing on The Center when biomes released. Was a few months until TC got its (giant) map addon making the redwoods and landbridge etc

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caleb68 said:

baby monkeys

Now look here, I may just be a crazy old coot with one foot in the grave and the other in a jar on my fireplace, and I know that the manners and fashions of the day ebb and flow like the contents of my chamber pot, but in my day you didn't post a comment about baby monkeys without a screenshot of baby monkeys. Fie and for shame, sir.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, WarpSpasm said:

the island map got a major overhall that changed the biomes a long time ago, things got moved around, changed abit, even the bosses got changed instead of fighting them at the obelisks, you get teleported in, It was a change a long time ago link D1nk said, but my games seems to be having a mix of old and new, not sure why. 

1 hour ago, chris282 said:

Now look here, I may just be a crazy old coot with one foot in the grave and the other in a jar on my fireplace, and I know that the manners and fashions of the day ebb and flow like the contents of my chamber pot, but in my day you didn't post a comment about baby monkeys without a screenshot of baby monkeys. Fie and for shame, sir.

well this old coot was just getting ready to hobble his way to the kitchen to get some grub to eat, but I sat my creeking old bones back down in my chair, fired off ark and headed onto extinction, crawled out of bed, and got on the griffon to fly over to the pen.  Took a minute or two but finally got them all to show up for a group photo, sry for the quality, seems abit fuzzy for some reason... but here's the shot:
5243F7D8BEB0D04CE007579E8DEC24F137874FD3

• Like 4

I ventured back underground today, in search of ravager saddle blueprints. Sadly I found none but on my travels near the rad zone, not far from my earlier ravager trap, I noticed a strange little creature flying around. It just wouldn't stay still long enough for me to get a good look at it, so I shot it (with a tranq dart), as it lay on the floor with it's feet in the air I was able to get a good long look at it but was not able to access it's inventory. And that's how I discovered that Featherlights are passive tames.

On the plus side I now have a new pet that I have never tamed before and it glows and dododex says it doesn't spawn on Valguero, so I guess that makes it rarer than the unicorn I still haven't found.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, caleb68 said:

well this old coot was just getting ready to hobble his way to the kitchen to get some grub to eat, but I sat my creeking old bones back down in my chair, fired off ark and headed onto extinction, crawled out of bed, and got on the griffon to fly over to the pen.  Took a minute or two but finally got them all to show up for a group photo, sry for the quality, seems abit fuzzy for some reason... but here's the shot:

Above and beyond the call of duty, consider my fie thoroughly retracted. I shall raise my nightly glass of cod liver oil and cooking sherry in your honour.

Watch out for this fella, there's something about him I just don't trust.

redeyemonkey.thumb.PNG.58bb67440f247d43f01cd43df544e569.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 9/12/2019 at 11:15 PM, Cythraul said:

Lol, you make me want to try out PVP again. I don't know how you survive. Anytime I get to the level you are at and begin taming the animals you are taming... I not only get raided but completely wiped by some dude with super high level wyvern or managarmr.

Hi Cythraul - I'm by no means an expert, and what little I do know I've learnt through a lot of mistakes, but I'd be happy to talk survival tips if you're interested. Feel free to drop me a pm.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cythraul said:

I would love to take you up on that offer except I am finding this forum hard to navigate at times. How could I send you a pm? Another question I have had is how to react to content.

hover over their icon picture next to their post, wait for the popup box, click 'message' :)

=======================================
What I did in ark today
=======================================
EU-PVE-Offical-TheIsland
-----------------------------------------
I hopped on and thought about doing some stuff there today but the server was lagging pretty bad, so I fed my dino's, did a little care around the base, then refreshed the beds and decided to hop over to extinction and check on the monkeys.

EU-PVE-Official-Extinction
------------------------------------------
Once I got there things seemed fine except the 1 minute server save lags that kept happening,  I cryo'ed up all the normal Monkeys that had fully grown and left the colored ones out, giving a bunch hats with clown masks and dodo masks.  After being there for awhile I decided to head out to the wastelands and look for airdrops, and thats when everything went down hill.  The server began getting massive lag spikes, and people were getting disconnected left and right, it would settle for about 2-4 minutes and then again, everyone was getting disconnected.   This all started happening just as I came up on 4 reapers on my giga.   I thought for sure I was going to be dead.

luckly when i was finally able to gt back to my giga, it was still alive and the 4 reapers were running off chasing a gas bag, luck held out that time.  I started moving the giga back to the city, I knew this wasn't the last of the lag spikes, I got 1/2 way there and just as I was about to kill a rex, disconnect again.   This time it took the upwards of 15 minutes before I or my tribemate could get back on the server.  once again, my luck held out, when i finally did get back on, the rex was dead by something, not my giga as it was set to passive, but dead none the less.  I started heading to the city and got in the west side where the green area is with the beaver dams, after passing it, and just getting up the ramp to the main central path... another disconnect.  this time the server didn't let anyone get back on for at least 10 minutes, I was the first to get back on it.  Managing to get my gig back and cryopodded i headed to the transmitter and found i had 12 minutes to wait.  Just about the time I was going transfer out... server offline... fun... sat around wating for it to come back, when it did, it was already lagging yet again, so i got to the transmitter and was able to transfer back to the island.

EU-PVE-Official-ScorchedEarth
-------------------------------------------------
I had a crafting character on scorched earth so I decided to hop on it and avoid doing any transfering, once there, more lag.... whats going on today?  I headed out with the rex and gathered abit of meat for him, and some fish, he loves fish... after returning to the little base, there was a dung beetle just outside, so I checked the feeding trough, sure enough spoiled meat! so i tamed the dung beetle who was only a lvl 25, and shoved more meat into the feeding trough so the little guy would have something to eat as well. so much rubberbanding during all this, after taking care of the dung beetle, i decided to log out of that server.

EU-PVE-Official-Valguero
----------------------------------------------
A Friend needed some help over there taming a argy, so i told them about my open taming pen, and they headed over, I was standing around waiting for them when a 135 argy came out of nowhere and ate my poor little naked body. Okay no problem have a bed there, so i respawned.  They showed up shortly after and lured the bird into the trap and I scarficed myself inside the trap to the argy because, yep you guessed it, more lag and rubber banding.  they started tranqing the argy when a bronto tail decided to get in the way, one swoop and the person i was helping went flying off the cliff and into the water below, luckly surviving, me, not so lucky, I looked like a rag doll bouncing off the cliffwall all the way down to the beach and across it to the water... obviously dead.

I spawned back at my main base grabbed my wyvern and started collecting mutton for them,  on my way back to them, they said a alpha carno was close by so I headed in a strait line to them, rubberbanding several time backward over the water, thankfully no disconnects though, and when i arrrived I was the carno, just above on the hill, so i flew over and tried pulling him away from the pen incase it decided to flee while being attacked.... and then it happened... a large lag spike...when the lag stopped and I rubberbanded, the carno was standing On top of my wyvern... I couldn't move... I kept biting and watched my wyverns health get lower and lower... but then a passing diplo distracted the carno with a head butt, and it hopped of my back, I quickly flew off and regained stam.  I managed to pull the carno after that to a far cliff and got it to walk off the edge.  The argy being tamed was safe.

after they got the argy tamed I bid them farewell and headed back to base, more lag, more rubberbanding.. wasn't just me either all the '1'  popping up in chat surely showed that.  once back at base I parked the wyvern, headed upstairs, laid on a bed, waited for a server save and logged out.

UE-PVE-Official-Extinction
----------------------------------------------
I remembered my rollrats were still out, and a couple baby monkeys that were only to juvi stange so I decided to hop on via the second account and go cryo them.  I got to the pen where the baby rollrats were picking their own food, and.... crash....well... not really a crash... the server disconnected once again, but this time instead of sending me back to the main menu it locked up ark tight, I couldn't even alt tab out of it, could pull up the windows menu, but couldn't get any program to take focus over ark.  I had to reboot.   After rebooting I went to fire off ark and... "Install Ark" was the button in steam.... okay restart, nope same thing, restart steam, nope same thing... click the install button .... check downloads.... "validating ark" .... just not my day... at this point I gave up... the juvi's will be dead most likely and the rollrats by the time I'll be back on... rip...

and with that... I quit playing ark for the day.

Could someone please explain how the "Server Network" is "Healthy" when there are constant lag spikes that are obviously server side sense they are effecting everyone?  How in the world can this be considered "Healthy" and if that actually is "Healthy" I gotta say.... *looking up at the previous happenings* ...I would really hate to see a "UnHealthy" ark server...

• Sad 2

I tamed my very first Giga today. 

I know everyone says to use the metal gateway method, but I opted for something a bit more risky: A cage of giant stone gateways. Four, to be exact, with a door on each end. 

I set it up at the base of the eastmost mountain on the island, and added pillars between the spaces of the gates to make absolute sure the giga wouldn't get out. I figured I'd need bait, too, so I bred my two summer bash event trikes and ended up with nice looking white twins. Both were named "Giga snack", and with my super easy settings I raised a poison Wyvern just to kite the giga. His name is Nymph and he actually has really cool colors: A brown body with deep green wings. 

I also had a butt ton of narcotics and arrows from grinding in preparation a few weeks back, so I made a tiny metal base next to the stone cage and put everything I needed in it. My plan was to leave all of my things in the bunker, get on Nymph, grab a Giga snack, and kite the giga all the way from the top of the mountain into the cage where I'd drop the bait trike to keep its attention if the bear traps in the cage didn't snag it first and make it stay still long enough for me to shut the doors. 

The plan was executed, and worked perfectly! Even if the gates are going to need serious repair, I know they can hold up to at least a wild lvl 1 Giga. And, as a bonus, Giga Snack survived! It landed perfectly on top of the gate while I was dropping it in during my escape. It still kept the giga's attention. 

Once the beast was down, I let its torpor drop to half before loading it the hell up with narcotics. That kept it down until it ate.... once! All it took was one kibble, and he was mine. 

Do I have super easy settings? Yes. Am I proud of my achievements nonetheless? Also yes. I named my Giga "Hulk", because you won't want to see him when he's angry. 

I can't attach a picture, but here's a clip of me playing with him around my base: 

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/dragonhop417/video/79259610

• Like 3

Well, it's been quite a long time since I posted last. One of the reasons why I don't really play on servers much anymore is because I don't have the time to dedicate to regular gaming the way I used to even a couple years ago. Life happened, and I set Ark aside.

But this weekend I loaded up for the first time in about 2 months and tried to remember where I left off. I do remember I had to roll back to an earlier save after an S+ update, which even this long afterwards still sucks. I haven't gone back to re-tame that basilo yet. After checking around the base a bit and reacquainting myself with my situation I took my loyal yet unnamed argent and set off.

Over the course of it, I feel like I actually made a decent amount of progress. I ended up taming 3 more rexes, including 1 female, finally. No standout stats on any of them, but I was still able to finally, finally get a bred and imprinted rex. This rex has a very important role, clearing spawns and kiting yutys into my taming arena.

Immediately put her to work doing just that and tamed 3 more yutys, slowly building up both my stat line and my kibble flock. Despite their long breeding time even on my greatly increased settings, I managed to put together a pair with my best stats and even got a stamina mutation...that was immediately outclassed by my last tame. That's ok. I'll keep this bred one, Yulia, and continue working on that line in the background. If/when she falls to a boss, I'll replace her with a stronger yuty.

Also tamed about 10 new argents. I'm a bit conflicted, as I did get some higher stats...but only by 1 point each, when I know I could get a good roll for 8-10 points higher on those stats. I kept those birds but haven't bred them in yet, because it seems silly right now. However, I did start mutation stacking on my stamina because I just can't imagine having a wild tame stand up with a better roll. 54 is my clean base line, which I've already stacked 2 mutations on and now have 58.

During my travels I raided every red and yellow drop I could find and got an ascendant longneck, but that was the only drop of note. I desperately need better saddles for all of my animals. I still have an alpha rex hanging out on the iceberg I kited it to because I just can't kill it until I get a high armor argent saddle. My birds can and have killed them before, this one is just too high a level for my current line.

Finally, I did a significant amount of work around the base. I built a chem bench and an industrial forge and rearranged my breeding area. It's open now to better fit larger animals. I'm actually playing with PVP on like Syntac does so I can level up my animals by killing the unwanted babies, it works so fantastically well that I can't imagine playing standard PVE ever again tbh. M still can't play, so unless/until he can I'll stick to single player anyway.

After a couple of incidents and a close call while kiting a yuty, I also finally laid out and started building my outer perimeter, about 1/3 of the way done already. Once that's done I'm going to move my raising area away from the hatchery...

While this is still based on the Ultimate Ark run, I also decided I'm going to change my rules up a bit, mainly because I dislike redundancy and I intend to play the maps normally afterwards. So my rules are going to be I still start on each map with only my character, nothing else. But once I tame an animal on a new map, I will allow transfer of that species from previous maps. So I'm not starting out super op, but I'm not wasting my time breeding a brand new army and scrounging for gear for each set of bosses either, that's just silly. I think it's a fair compromise. However, I will not allow the transfer of anything Tek between maps, that I'll have to build new each time if I want it. For animals that are map exclusive, I'll allow transfer of them only after defeating the alpha bosses of that map. Outside of boss prep I don't expect I'll be transferring much anyway, at least not until I've done everything.

Current goals: continue working on the argent line, finish my perimeter wall, and tame the 150 yuty I know is running around not far from my base. Also need to get some metal runs in, I've been sorely neglecting my resources. Can't even build that longneck because I spent all my metal on my crafting stations earlier.

• Like 3

I finished raising the last 4 rock drakes I had growing. a 175, 3 145's.  Cleaned out the Rock drake nests and got a 190, 2 175's, 180 and a 150. It's good being on a low pop official ab server. Only bad thing is i have to clear the nests before i can grab keeper eggs. The 1st batch i grabbed all disappeared once i got them in my inventory. Tamed another crab and did a bunch of metal runs. I'm up to 70k ingots since I transfers have been disabled. I know i can transfer my character but i let my tribemates handle SE while i do AB.

• Like 3

PS4 - Uoffiical cluster

As I mentioned last week, the unofficial cluster I played on for the previous 3 months has been experiencing a lot of turmoil and turnover in the last 2 weeks. So I haven't really played on it at all. Just popping in to refresh the dinos and decays.  It is hard to get excited to play there, as I don't know if it will last, and my 3 online pals have already moved over to the new cluster basically. 

The new cluster only has Rag & Val, but they mentioned this weekend that they are adding Abberation, because even though they got Reapers to spawn on Val radiation zone, rock drake eggs will not. So they are going to remove the Drakes and Reapers from the Val radiation zone, and instead add Extinction (Owls, Gachas and Manas) to the Valguerro map.

And with Abberation map being added, that means that drake eggs will be available, as will more Reaper QUeens! 

But in the meantime, On Thursday or Friday last week I went Reaper hunting on Val for the first time, and we managed to not only get pregnant by high level Reaper Queen, but later we got a good level event colored babies that are Red body with white highlights! Amazing looking.

Saturday I spent most of the day in a continued quest to get more event colored reapers (map is running the Summer Bash) and I finally got Grey body with bright blue belly reapers, but the level was horrendously low, so I will keep those babies as lawn ornaments only. I won't actually use them.

its a trap GIF

My buddy Texas and I are the only people on the cluster who have been farming reapers, so I build a couple traps next to each other, including a public one. This way, we kite a Reaper into the trap, and as long as we stay in render distance, she is trapped in, and we can continue to get pregnant over and over if we want.

Sunday, I spent most of the day as well farming reapers, and never got another colored one, but then last night right before going to bed, I got a max level queen trapped, and she knocked me up. Sadly the baby was normal Black and tan looking. But a great level, so I went back for a second time, and she got me again.

I then pm'd Texas and told him to get on before I go to bed, so she doesn't despawn.  A bit later, he logged in, and I then went to bed.

I must have given birth to 25+ Reapers since Thursday, and only 2 of them queens produced event colored babies.sad andre johnson GIF

Oh well, I still enjoy it, and on the Val map, the Radiation zone is so small I can';t get lost.  Plus I built my trap in the safe area, so I don't have to worry about getting exposed to radiation while getting pregnant from Reaper.

Once we switch over to Abberation, then the scary times return, as I always get lost and all turned around in the Radiation zone on that map, plus it is so much more dangerous. and there is always the danger of dying when falling into element river.

But that also adds to the excitement right!?

• Like 3

Extinction and Ragnarok  PS4 PVE Official

Had an exciting weekend myself. Tribe of three, we have been working towards taming titans for gamma King Titan Fight. We are just practice taming at this point so we will be good enough to go get all three for the king titan. We have our base in the desert and have tamed the desert titan numerous times but never tried the ice or forest. That being said, I dont know why it took us this long to try the other titans as apparently the desert is said to be the tougher of the three tames. Well i think they are right, we tamed up both the ice and forest in less time than we have ever tamed the desert. We used meks for both ice and forest, IT WAS A BLAST.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

• Like 3

Official PvE Valguero, all by myself

I still have not settled in an area to build a base.  The most interesting place along the lake that is unpopulated by castles is currently populated with three Spinos.  I might be able to trap one, but three is a bit much at this stage of development.  In the meantime, I have discovered that you can build a lot on rafts even in areas that have been overly pillared.  I now have my main raft with living area and enclosed construction devices up through metal plus a "trap" raft with a 3x3 capture area at the end of a ramp plus a "hydroponics" raft just for farming.  I discovered that you cannot put plumbing on a raft, but crops work with just the regular rains if you are willing to wait for them.

I used my "trap" raft to catch a male and a female Stego, my first tames.  Their eggs will drive my standard kibble process along with the farming.  I just caught low-level ones since I will only be using them to make eggs for kibble and a 150 Stego would take over six hours with just berries.  After I make enough kibble, I will go for a high-level Ptera to give me more mobility.  I am kind of torn between a Ptera or a Pelagornis, but the Pelas on Valguero never seem to perch on land making them a bit harder to catch.

Then I guess I will go looking for something large to tame with standard kibble.  With a Ptera, I might even be able to steal a Deinonychus egg or two.  With all the times that i died in the White Cliffs (20+ per day for a couple of weeks), I deserve to get something good out of them.

I am glad that i decided to restart in PvE.  I can build up resources and not have them stolen every day or two.  A few of the neighbors have stopped by to say "hi", but I will probably have different neighbors when I finally settle down from my nomad phase.

• Like 4