So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

On 9/1/2019 at 9:24 PM, WarpSpasm said:

'The apex way' posted a video of him doing the tek cave with other tribes about a month or so ago, it may be useful to you.

I found the link, 

I wish you luck for your glorious rematch.

I can see clearly where they went wrong with their venture in the tek cave when it came to the alpha boss, we even had more time then they did in the video to defeat the boss, seems they weren't truthful about doing the alpha "many times", im guessing they did the omega not alpha cave with the method they were using.  thanks for the video WarpSpasm, it clearly showed what was done wrong :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WarpSpasm said:

You are most welcome, glad it helped you. I haven't done any boss fights yet (only recently started breeding tek rexes on the island for bosses) but solo ascension scares the heck out of me.

ha yeah i know i'd probably fail solo ascension, speaking of, i need to find someone i can join the king titan battle with again :( still need to finish recovering my character from the great character wipe. The GM helped with getting some of the stuff back and getting all my imprints back so that saved alot of time there, but still need to redo all them bosses.  I'd hate to try to do alpha tek cave by myself, still looks pretty difficult,  i do need the cave though, as im stuck at level 105 now.  Someone offered to take me for a run for 50 element but i didn't have the element and i'd rather join in, cause thats half the fun.  So far I have alpha broodmother, alpha ape, beta manticore, and beta dragon done.  Soon i'll be heading in to a boss fight on Valguero with a tribe to do the alpha's, so that will get me the Alpha Dragon and Manticore, and the rest of my manticore armor skins :D, then its just rockwell, tek cave, and the titans on Extinction to do :)

EU-PVP-Official-[REDACTED]

I'd been hanging around the mountain for too long, picking up too much heat, so I packed up shop and moved out to Safehouse 3. It's a compact, bijou residence with a striking Cubist design.

No real pvp action to speak of for the last couple of days, I've mostly been keeping my head down and making pokeballs cryopods.

• Like 2

it was a slow day today, spent most of it hatching and raising Rexs, and painting rex saddles so I knew who had prim/ramshackle/journeyman/mastercraft. 

traded 12k worth of organic poly gacha crystals for a Black griffon clone with red underbelly and abit of red on its wings.  Thinking about going to extinction and farming some element veins so that I can clone this guy, only 14k shards needed.

• Like 2

Extinction, SP

Played short sessions throughout the last few weeks, but was able to spend a fair amount of time in Ark over the long weekend to finish projects.

Finished raising and imprinting my 5 member flock of Argys.  With over 1000 weight after imprint, they are excellent as carriers for metal runs.

Finished raising and imprinting a 5 member wolf pack.  They are from my Rag breeding line that has red body and feet with a black back stripe.  500 melee after imprint, so these guys are going to shred.  I have dubbed them the Knights of Tails; Sir Chewsalot and Madam Swift are the pack leaders.

I then tamed a snow owl, which came in handy to find the seemingly near-extinct Queen Bee.  Tamed the bee and set her up in my greenhouse. 

The bees took their jolly sweet time creating honey so I multitasked by popping out my breeder Rexs and set to work raising and imprinting 5 Rexs.  By the time the beginning of my Rex army was saddled, the bees had done their job.  I plopped down my new industrial cooker and made 5 veggie cakes.  The snow owl and I then hunted down a low level Achatina; we had to save it from 3 spiders.  Tamed it, and set it wandering in a Dino leash at base.  

Metal shortage problem - solved 

Paste shortage problem - solved

• Like 4

Official Valguero, PvP, all by myself

My usual griefer came calling yesterday as I was on.  As previously documented, he jpined my tribe as a level 4 and promptly killed me with the weapons that I gave him.  This time, he flew in on a dragon (probably a wyvern - I can't really tell between dragons except for Managarmrs) so I did not kill him on sight.  He spent a little while picking up my Stego and dropping it and then picking me up and dropping me.  I was shooting with my crossbow with tranq arrows (I had been taming a Ptera when he caught me outside) and when he was done playing (or maybe when his dragon started getting groggy from tranq arrows), he killed me with a shotgun.

The good thing is that he did not kill my Stego and did not loot my body or wreck my base (not sure if he could actually hurt stone).  It was no problem to respawn inside my base and wait until he gave up taunting and went away so that I could go collect the stuff on my body.  The bad thing is that even though i have a mastercraft shotgun (it was safe in my base while he was killing me), I really do not have adequate defenses against him other than hiding in my base.  My dinos in the pen are vulnerable to flyers unless I attempt to build a truly huge box with a large dino gate.  I suspect that the roof could not be built without foundations below it or lots of pillars in the middle of my pen.

I am debating giving up on this whole PvP thing.  I have tried it and have survived and prospered, but it is a real pain to do anything permanently.  I cannot keep any dinosaur too large to put in my house (I have a large hatchframe and can put small flyers like Pteros inside).  I may just move to a PvE Valguero server as I have heard that the neighbors are more friendly on PvE  ?  If I move to an offical PvE server, can I move back to am official PVP server in the future?  I would hate to lose the only PvP survivor that i have leveled up in case I want to return to PvP someday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stretch11 said:

Official Valguero, PvP, all by myself

My usual griefer came calling yesterday as I was on.  As previously documented, he jpined my tribe as a level 4 and promptly killed me with the weapons that I gave him.  This time, he flew in on a dragon (probably a wyvern - I can't really tell between dragons except for Managarmrs) so I did not kill him on sight.  He spent a little while picking up my Stego and dropping it and then picking me up and dropping me.  I was shooting with my crossbow with tranq arrows (I had been taming a Ptera when he caught me outside) and when he was done playing (or maybe when his dragon started getting groggy from tranq arrows), he killed me with a shotgun.

The good thing is that he did not kill my Stego and did not loot my body or wreck my base (not sure if he could actually hurt stone).  It was no problem to respawn inside my base and wait until he gave up taunting and went away so that I could go collect the stuff on my body.  The bad thing is that even though i have a mastercraft shotgun (it was safe in my base while he was killing me), I really do not have adequate defenses against him other than hiding in my base.  My dinos in the pen are vulnerable to flyers unless I attempt to build a truly huge box with a large dino gate.  I suspect that the roof could not be built without foundations below it or lots of pillars in the middle of my pen.

I am debating giving up on this whole PvP thing.  I have tried it and have survived and prospered, but it is a real pain to do anything permanently.  I cannot keep any dinosaur too large to put in my house (I have a large hatchframe and can put small flyers like Pteros inside).  I may just move to a PvE Valguero server as I have heard that the neighbors are more friendly on PvE  ?  If I move to an offical PvE server, can I move back to am official PVP server in the future?  I would hate to lose the only PvP survivor that i have leveled up in case I want to return to PvP someday.

Hey Stretch, if you'll take some unsolicited advice from a fairly new solo surviver - rely on your base as little as you can, and be prepared to ditch it at short notice. You can always come back later. A wrecked base with no door that's been empty for a week can be safer than a brand new base, though anything of value is best stashed away elsewhere. Cryopods will (partially) solve the dino problem - 10 crystal, 15 fibre, 5 hide, 2 metal, 4 oil, 8 polymer and you can make them at a cargo beacon.

As a solo pvper you're always going to be outgunned, but sometimes you can outsmart the buggers. Good luck!

• Like 2

PS. Pro tip: gamma 4

PPS. One more pearl of wisdom, while I think of it. Don't get too hung up on tech that you don't absolutely need for survival or fighting. The real advantage of levelling up is being able to survive with less. Go back to basics, see what you can live without. In the immortal words of William Gibson's Johnny Mnemonic, "If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical, go crude."

And finally, hiding in your base is a perfectly acceptable military strategy. I've spent a fun twenty minutes taking potshots at a tiny man in pants who was quite frustrated that I wouldn't come down and fight him with a club like a man. ?

Final edit. With that said, a club is an absolute must in the arsenal. These zippy little guys want to get up close and personal before you can aim, but often can't take a punch.

Edited by chris282
Additional.
  • Like 1

I'm on PS4 and I'm stuck on AB so i built a new crab trap. Went egg hunting and found a few eggs (180, 175, 2 145's). Raised a 160 drake and two 100's as backup. Got pregnant by a 110 reaper and started doing metal runs down in blue. So being stuck has been good for me.  Made a couple of deals for 1002 melee rexs so now i have something to look forward too.

• Like 4

I continued with the Island base update. With the main base finished, I tore down the owl tower and old breeding barn. I layed down the ground work for the new breeding barn. Took a bit of fiddling but I got the cliff platforms down. The rest went up pretty quickly. Mostly happy with the build but am a bit unsure about the bare ground in the middle of the barn for maturing dinos. Its a bit of a mess with the cliff platforms and rocks, but shall see how it goes. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chris282 said:

PS. Pro tip: gamma 4

PPS. One more pearl of wisdom, while I think of it. Don't get too hung up on tech that you don't absolutely need for survival or fighting. The real advantage of levelling up is being able to survive with less. Go back to basics, see what you can live without. In the immortal words of William Gibson's Johnny Mnemonic, "If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical, go crude."

And finally, hiding in your base is a perfectly acceptable military strategy. I've spent a fun twenty minutes taking potshots at a tiny man in pants who was quite frustrated that I wouldn't come down and fight him with a club like a man. ?

Final edit. With that said, a club is an absolute must in the arsenal. These zippy little guys want to get up close and personal before you can aim, but often can't take a punch.

I have given up so many bases, it is not funny.  I am perfectly familiar with starting from nothing over and over.  When I was on The Island, I had to build up a metal base bit by bit so that only C4 could get in (and there were plenty of griefers carrying C4).  I guess I am getting a little attached to this stone base which I have been able to maintain a few tame dinos.  I have not tried to Cryopod yet, but that sounds like it might be a useful option to keep my dinos safe and to raise them a bit at a time when I have an hour here and there.  Clubs sound nice, but I have preferred pikes and swords so far.  I can usually get to those technololgies in a few hours after starting from scratch.  Flak armor is nice, but I can make do with hide.  Crossbows are nice (rifles are nicer), but I can get by with bows.

I just have to decide whether my purpose in playing at the moment is about proving that I can outlast, outwit, etc. my fellow survivors or whether it is to beat the game and its dinos and bosses.

What do you mean by "gamma 4"?  Is this a setting to make the game run smoother?  My computer is running enough FPS.  Is it something to lighten the display?  I have cranked up the brightness of my TV to where I can see in pretty much every condition except the night/fog/rain condition on The Island.  The drawback is that i get crazy lens flares when the sun is low in the sky and I cannot stand to see myself in metal armor.

Thanks for the info and advice.

• Like 1

went osd hunting on extinction today, we found 4, first was a blue and gave a decent amount of loot, but mostly wood construction items.   Second was a yellow, got a nice bit of cryopods from it but most the items were blue as well as the blueprints,  third was a yellow and had a decent amount of loot in it, however one items showed as a "Tek Replicator" when we picked it up, it vanished from our inventory.

The last was a red, we were a little freaked as it was the first red we had tried by ourselves, though it went threw as a major success and got quite abit of nice loot from it, but again, another item showed as "Tek Replicator" and as soon as it was picked up, it vanished from our inventory. 

So this happened twice, we though "oh cool a tek replicator we can use!" but it just turned out to be a cruel joke thrown in our faces not once, but twice by wildcard.

After that we headed back to base after deploying some gasbag balloons to take a bunch of the loot back to base.  once there we put it all away and called it a night.

• Like 2

Extinction, SP

Went on a metal run for ~2.5k metal ingot worth.  Then wacked some lampposts and tables with a doedic for ~5k crystal and ~5k element dust.

I spotted a blue OSD and decided to give it a shot (I’ve not done an OSD before).  I brought one of my newly raised Tek Rexs and 2 wolves: Sir Chewsalot and Madam Shadow.  After several rounds I was very comfortable thinking this is easy.  But then, as the last wave starts, the sky darkens and the precursor fireflies of a meteor shower start to fall.  I debated giving up the OSD, but figured that trying to cryo my dinos as the wave of corrupted dinos hit was a bad idea, so I risked it.  OSD Completed.  As meteors crashed all around, I rushed around gathering the loot - most of which was useless, but I did get a few extra cryopods.  The main benefit was the confidence that I can handle the OSDs.

Safe back at base, I sorted all the loot and started looking through collected enforcer blueprints.  The best I have is an Asc level 110, but is very costly (13k element dust, but I only have 8k). A level 95 journeyman, however, had only slightly lower health and melee percentages, and was a third the cost.  I crafted this one, named it EN37.  It’ll make a good starter enforcer.

• Like 3

EU-PVP-Official-[REDACTED]

Things have been working out well at Safehouse 3, and with a decent stash of cryopods under my belt I decided to upgrade my raptor to an argie. I've spent quite enough time chasing birds around like Grandpa Simpson, so this time I did my homework and found this nifty little trap.

Flying in the face of my own sage advice I returned to the mountain where I knew there were plenty of argies. I found a good one, level 110. After a couple of false starts I got it locked down. Blew away some low level birds for prime meat and settled in for a long tame. At around about 95% I thought, 'Well, that's pretty much done. I'll just grab a coffee and when I get back I can take her out for a spin.'

Of course it was killed. Of course it was.

Then on the way home someone dropped a giga on my head.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 9/3/2019 at 11:00 AM, caleb68 said:

I can see clearly where they went wrong with their venture in the tek cave when it came to the alpha boss, we even had more time then they did in the video to defeat the boss, seems they weren't truthful about doing the alpha "many times", im guessing they did the omega not alpha cave with the method they were using.  thanks for the video WarpSpasm, it clearly showed what was done wrong :)

FYI, you have unlimited time once in the overseer section.

On 9/3/2019 at 11:26 AM, WarpSpasm said:

You are most welcome, glad it helped you. I haven't done any boss fights yet (only recently started breeding tek rexes on the island for bosses) but solo ascension scares the heck out of me.

19 rexes 20k hp 500% dmg equipped with 80 armor saddle + 1 yuti will let you solo the gamma one, but expect losses in the dragon phase (lost 14 rexes in my very first run).

18 theriz (20k hp, 700% dmg, 120 armor saddles, 15 cakes each) + 1 yuti and I have yet to lose a single one to the gamma overseer after 3 runs through the cave.

Why 18 theriz? Because I ride a sacrificial rex to clear the cave while the crew is following. 3/4 of the opponents can be sniped and baited into lava.

For higher difficulties, mutated creatures and 100+ saddles are mandatory. ~1400-1500% dmg theriz were needed for the alpha seer. And for the record, I do it on my unofficial server with "official settings", so it's perfectly achievable solo granting time investment.

Cheers!

Edited by Darkholis
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Darkholis said:

FYI, you have unlimited time once in the overseer section.

time wasn't a issue, the damage they were doing was.

32 minutes ago, Darkholis said:

For higher difficulties, mutated creatures and 100+ saddles are mandatory. ~1400-1500% dmg theriz were needed for the alpha seer. And for the record, I do it on my unofficial server with "official settings", so it's perfectly achievable solo granting time investment.

Cheers!

in alpha phase my rex with 32k health and 986 melee was holding out pretty good, he only had a 78 saddle. didn't take any real damage until it was just me and the guy on the yuty.

getting to the chamber wasn't a issue, just took our time going there, and pulled the giga into the lava, everything else got ate along the way.

• Like 1

Extinction, SP

Took the enforcer on an adventure to the waste along with 4 members of the Knights of Tails.  Wandered around a bit and found a spot with a handful of rich metal nodes, so I made a mental note of the location for later.  Went a little farther and spotted a corrupted fire wyvern.  Ain’t no way I’m messing with one of those with my current crew, so I backtracked and spotted an element vein.  I haven’t figured out how to gauge the difficulty of veins, but this was apparently an easy one as waves were primarily pteras and dilos with a few trikes, stegos, raptors, and Rexs sprinkled in.  I didn’t have my mantis with me, so had to harvest by hand.  Walked away with 31 element, 105 shards, and 3.5k dust.

I brought these back to base, and didn’t do much after that other than craft 3 vaults and tame a second Achatina.

• Like 2

We completed the Gamma Ascention , Happy days !

not an achievement to many but we have tried and failed this a few times , only a two man tribe so were happy !

there dont seem to be many strategies out there for completing it , and we won but not as comfortably as i would like to then attempt Beta. 

we had 6 Rexs 

So any suggestions ?  

• Like 4

PS4 - Unofficial Cluster - Abberration

My online buddy "Texas" and I headed down to the Radiation zone on around 10 pm.  I told him I need to get to bed at a decent time, as I had to get up at 6 am for work.

Well the server is running the Easter event, so we have been trying to get colored Reapers. last weekend we farmed a decent level queen, that gave us Yellow body, neon green belly and pink accent Reaper Kings babies. We got 3-4 each.  Then during the week my buddy got a cyan and tan one, and last night after 2 full hours of very, very low level Queens, we finally found a good level. We built a trap, and kited her in, and then proceed to both get pregnant withing 2-3 minutes!

We quickly built a birthing room (boosted rates, so pregnancy is under 30 minutes) and mine popped out, and it had the neon green body!  This is the color we have been looking for the entire time. So we continued to try and farm her, but after the first round, she became very glitchy, and would not attack, and kept running away from us in the pen. However 2 hours later, we each had 4 babies from her. I raised one to the juvenile stage, and realized that the belly is yellow, with tan accents, so basically I have my "GB Packer" Reaper King!

On the way out, my buddy got knocked off a cliff by another Queen, and where he landed, another decent queen spawned, so he got pregnant by her on the fly, and when we got back to his base, it was Orange with a Cyan belly!  I wish I would have jumped down there and gotten pregnant too, but by the time I was back at my base, and logged off it was 2:25 am !!!!

My alarm went off at 6:01, and I've got a long day of work.  But I am so jacked about getting the Neon green (we refer to the color as "Toxic Green") Reapers.  I am going to give one to my online buddy Indiana, who always has to go to bed around 8pm, due to his work schedule; so he never gets to go with us. Also, just like last weekend, online buddy California, was down with us; and in a repeat of last time his young foster son (health issues due to drug addict mother) started having problems, so he had to get off immediately.  This has happened twice now, both times while we are trying to get pregnant from a Queen that turned out to be event colored.  So I want to give him a Toxic Reaper baby too.

His Character and Karkinos were left down in the Radiation zone also, as he logged off so quickly. I sure hope they don't get killed, as he was loaded up with back up Tek armor and cryo'd feather lights he tamed while we looked for queens.

After HATING on Abberration since it came out, I am starting to like the map.  I still get lost ALL THE TIME, but I'm kind of addicted to getting knocked up by Reapers.  We plan on going back tonight!

Edited by Aushegun
  • Like 4