So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

3 hours ago, chris282 said:

It seems implausible to me, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that anyone would take even a simple raft onto the ocean without a cursory understanding of basic safety procedures. And yet we are expected to believe that this man - this self-styled "Admiral" Chris - led a fortified stone gunship to its complete destruction, killing all hands on deck, because he "forgot about the whales."

Well I did say I wonder how Dorothy would depart this world. Now I know! ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, chris282 said:

It seems implausible to me, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that anyone would take even a simple raft onto the ocean without a cursory understanding of basic safety procedures. And yet we are expected to believe that this man - this self-styled "Admiral" Chris - led a fortified stone gunship to its complete destruction, killing all hands on deck, because he "forgot about the whales."

I fear for the captain's safety.  I smell a mutiny!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

PS4 - Unofficial Cluster

So everyone was eagerly awaiting the release of Val for the cluster on Friday. I of course was patiently waiting for my 6 hour download to finish.

Only to watch as a 2 hours patch download immediately after.

So I went to bed on Friday Valguerro-less.  Got up early saturday morning to drive thru a tornado ravaged area from the night before on the way to my shack up north. Got there, and my Bro-in-law decided to cancel due to weather. So had to unload a full trailer by myself in a thunderstorm, then drive back home.

After drying off and having lunch, I am playing Valguerro by 12:30.  But there is a problem with the server settings, and it is at Official settings.  I have not played official settings in a long time, and the other maps on the cluster are boosted, so it was a shock to the system. It took my over an hour and multiple deaths to sneaky Allos, before I found a dodo to kill and get hide.  finally, after 4 hours, a dozen deaths and only being level 14, I made it to the Green OB; only to have a max level raptor camping directly on the OB!

Had to play the kiting game away from the OB, but finally got the raptor lured away far enough, after a couple more deaths.

Access the OB, and I cannot download the gear and cryo'd Owl I had uploaded.  Apparently only live dino upload/download was working. Well that sucked. Quit Valguerro and log into Extinction. Breed some owls, then transfer over to Center to breed some more owls. In the meantime, my new best friend totally loses his character transferring to join me. GONE!

So after hearing the horrors of losing your character, I decide to make a new Toon on every map in the cluster. I then get a helpful admin to jump from map to map, to add my new toon to my original tribe.   Sure I will no longer be transferring my Toon between maps, and that means the long upload and download procedure of items.  BUT, at least I won't lose my toon.

Meanwhile the Valguerro map is totally bjorked with the admins and cluster owner working non-stop to fix it. Seems to be a Nitrado issue, as other clusters had similar problems.

People on the cluster are bitching and moaning about Valguerro not being up. They seem to forget that they are on a free boosted cluster. Maybe they should rent their own servers.

Poor Admins (which are great on this cluster) are tired and stretched thin, putting up with complainers.  I finally decide that I will wait on Valguerro to settle down in a week or so.

Spent Sunday on jumping between Rag, Center & Ext. breeding owls and finally found a guy that had the missing Pink shoulder mutation I needed. He wanted a ton for the breeding, but only slightly more to buy the owl outright. So then I see he has a female with a zone I like, and ask to breed to that female, with the male I just bought. He says sure... as we are breeding, he says he has another egg from that breeding. I pay the man, and he gives me the two eggs.  Then he says he has to go and logs off. Well the second egg was from a totally different female, and NOT the one I wanted. Needless to say, not happy with his bait and switch. No really money exchanged, just element, but still. Not cool dude.

anywhooo, get the pink shouldered male back to Ext, and breed him with my pink zoned females.  Eventually i get to an all pink owl except for red stripes.  I just need to breed those out, and will have my all Pink owl.  At the same time, I FINALLY got my all Yellow owl to click, and ended up getting an all yellow breeding pair.

So this month, I have completed my All bright red, All bright blue, all Neon Green, and all yellow Owls.  Nearly done on the all Pink as well.

However I now need to build a huge secure barn, because twice this weekend while breeding owls, I would run into my base to grab a saddle or more meat, only to come out and watch someone fly off, and they had stolen some fert eggs.  They must have been watching for me to go into the base, and timed it right.

The second time I got the name, and tried to confront him in chat. He would not reply, but I have his name.  Sad that people resort to this.

Next in line are all Teal, all Cyan and all light Blue.  I managed to get a new Teal zone mutation, as well as a new Cyan zone mutation, so getting closer with those. Also got a Mint green mutation to add to my other 2 Mint green mutations. Now I just need to start combining those into 1 owl.

Late last night, a kid came on, and asked if he could borrow a flyer from anyone for a few minutes. Well considering I I had about 75 owls sitting out, and another 200 in cryopods, I said sure I'll help you out.

So I pick out a low level Owl I had tamed and go meet the guy at Red OB.  I give him the owl and return to base.  About 15 minutes later, he says he is done with owl, and can I meet him at the Blue OB.  Since I was planning on looking for leftover event owls and manas in the snow biome, I meet him there. He gives me back my owl that I loaned him.

He then asks if I can help him tame an owl for him to keep.  I used a ptera and 3 dino gates to trap, and so I told him to grind up 6 gates and 4 doors (enough for two traps)

In the meantime, I go out scouting for owls with my Ptera.  right off the bat, I find 1 level 228 in amongst two other Owls. So I land and put down a quick trap (I already had my own trap supplies with me) Well I managed to kite two of the 3 owls into my trap. and knock them out. Only to realized that the 228 wasn't one of them. I then lead the two owls back to the kid who is excited. I tell him I will be right back. I return and tame up the 228 female. Now he is very happy. He also has the traps  materials crafted.  So I fly him over to a good area, and show him how to lay out the trap, and how to use a ptera to kite the owls into it. He says thanks and takes off. I am sitting there a minute, when I see a cool looking Gray and brown owl (nothing like the wild ones I have tamed before) So I check it out, and it is a 236 level male. I quickly trap and tame it. I message the kid and say hey bring the good female back and I will breed it to a good male. While waiting for him to return, I realize I have a top level wild female in my inventory. SO I pop her out, and breed her to the new male.

The kid arrives, we breed those owls, and now he has 2 good eggs, a good female, a medium female and a low level male. I also gave him a couple saddles.  Not too bad of a start for him.

A little later on, he says in chat that he just saw my base (with the 70+ colored owls sitting out), and that amazingly his base is very close to mine.

I told him if he gets a color mutation with his owls when breeding them, to let me know, and maybe I will buy a breeding from it, or we can trade breeding if he wants some color.

I won't let anyone breed to my full color ones, but my my single or double zoned colored ones is fine.

I also got two eggs from my Tek Quetz pair, and will be raising them soon.

Last but not least, I flying around the city on Ext, and see some cool colored Gigas. I stop to take a look, and there is a fert giga egg sitting there, with nearly no health left. I grab it, and call out in chat to the base owner. multiple posts, and no response. during this time, I noticed he has a dead baby yuty and some dead baby velonasaurs laying around, plus the Velo have a fert egg too.

Pretty obvious this guy is not online, and left his dinos on mating.  After trying one more time in chat  with no response, I decide to keep the giga egg, and head back to base.  I think in this case, it is ok to keep the egg since it was going to spoil anyway in minutes, and the owner was offline. Am I wrong?

• Like 4

@Aushegun I can't answer your query as to right or wrong. I can only say what I would do. I don't want you to think I'm being rude I'm just sharing my thoughts.

Personally I would have saved the eggs for them, would even build a pres bin in my base specifically theirs seeing them next online and letting them know, maybe they would say to keep it. Maybe not. But I'm guilt free.

Either way it's a good deed and wouldn't result in Ill feelings if there was ever a chance to trade breeding with them. Or if it was ever discovered because you called it out in chat. Etc. I'm too honest for my own good.

It's great you helped a new person get started I've seen so many posts where people just ignore, troll or do their damnedest to see them quit. Each to their own play style. I applaude your efforts to help this person. 

How is it you can teach someone online how to set up a trap? I'm in the same room as other half and he still can't understand me. Go me! 

Hope the map is up for you now. It's a very pretty map and it's up to you where to start etc but I can say green ob and the local area has everything you need to get started. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnowboundGem said:

@Aushegun I can't answer your query as to right or wrong. I can only say what I would do. I don't want you to think I'm being rude I'm just sharing my thoughts.

Personally I would have saved the eggs for them, would even build a pres bin in my base specifically theirs seeing them next online and letting them know, maybe they would say to keep it. Maybe not. But I'm guilt free.

Either way it's a good deed and wouldn't result in Ill feelings if there was ever a chance to trade breeding with them. Or if it was ever discovered because you called it out in chat. Etc. I'm too honest for my own good.

It's great you helped a new person get started I've seen so many posts where people just ignore, troll or do their damnedest to see them quit. Each to their own play style. I applaude your efforts to help this person. 

How is it you can teach someone online how to set up a trap? I'm in the same room as other half and he still can't understand me. Go me! 

Hope the map is up for you now. It's a very pretty map and it's up to you where to start etc but I can say green ob and the local area has everything you need to get started. 

Gem,    Your opinion isn't rude, since I asked for input on the subject. :)

not a bad idea about putting the egg aside.   The Ext map on this cluster is very low populated (8 people was the most I ever saw on it.)  I have never seen this play on, and their base is pretty close to mine.  I play nearly every night, and way too many hours over the weekend. so my guess is this is a person from another country, and on a totally different schedule than me.  

I have the egg in a fridge, and know specifically which one it is.  I'll keep a look out for this player for another couple weeks. If no luck, then I will keep and hatch. The levels on the egg are lower than my current Gigas, but the color is different, so that would be cool to get.

• Like 1

Just now, Aushegun said:

Gem,    Your opinion isn't rude, since I asked for input on the subject. :)

not a bad idea about putting the egg aside.   The Ext map on this cluster is very low populated (8 people was the most I ever saw on it.)  I have never seen this play on, and their base is pretty close to mine.  I play nearly every night, and way too many hours over the weekend. so my guess is this is a person from another country, and on a totally different schedule than me.  

I have the egg in a fridge, and know specifically which one it is.  I'll keep a look out for this player for another couple weeks. If no luck, then I will keep and hatch. The levels on the egg are lower than my current Gigas, but the color is different, so that would be cool to get.

What colour was the giga? I just realised I have never worked on gigas.  That's sad I have over 5000 hours in ark most with thylas, otters, rexes and yutis. I need to explore other Dino breeding. 

2 hours ago, SnowboundGem said:

What colour was the giga? I just realised I have never worked on gigas.  That's sad I have over 5000 hours in ark most with thylas, otters, rexes and yutis. I need to explore other Dino breeding. 

Giga was a nice Royal Purple.  I have a breeding pair of a blue topped Male and a cyan female currently. So it would be fun to add another color to the mix.

• Like 1

*** MINOR BREAKING BAD SPOILER WARNING *** MINOR BREAKING BAD SPOILER WARNING ***

I woke up in handcuffs, and not in a good way.

Since the regretable incident with the "Flying Monkey" I'd been holed up in my mountainside hideaway like Walter White at the end of Breaking Bad, licking my wounds and planning my next move, but the mountain base had become too hot. I'd already tussled with a minor league raider, now they'd upped the ante.

It was time to leave the mountain, scream abuse at my wife in a way that established plausible deniability, rescue Jesse from the slaver bike gang and go out in a blaze of glory. But I couldn't do it alone...

6iqAOJh.png

The Yellow Brick Road Gang Ride Again!: (L-R) Aunt Em, Hank, Uncle Henry and Betsy.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chris282 said:

*** MINOR BREAKING BAD SPOILER WARNING *** MINOR BREAKING BAD SPOILER WARNING ***

I woke up in handcuffs, and not in a good way.

Since the regretable incident with the "Flying Monkey" I'd been holed up in my mountainside hideaway like Walter White at the end of Breaking Bad, licking my wounds and planning my next move, but the mountain base had become too hot. I'd already tussled with a minor league raider, now they'd upped the ante.

It was time to leave the mountain, scream abuse at my wife in a way that established plausible deniability, rescue Jesse from the slaver bike gang and go out in a blaze of glory. But I couldn't do it alone...

6iqAOJh.png

The Yellow Brick Road Gang Ride Again!: (L-R) Aunt Em, Hank, Uncle Henry and Betsy.

insert the "Dun dun dunnnnnnnn" sound bite.

• Like 2

Been a few weeks since ive posted! The whole TEK Cave mess up was weighing on me, I was still playing but mostly preparing for Valguero. Just couldnt muster the will to post my dailies since they were mostly just breeding colour lines, taming random things and just base tear down. Ill run down the few weeks randomly

We had our plan, going totally no fliers, I had Ravagers I was combining to start with and we banged out our Thyla line. I caught a new 150 with higher melee so I had to combine it to all 3 of our colour lines. Saltire tamed quite a few event Ravagers so I was making lines of them with my good stats. Two of my real life buddies joined the cluster but were playing on other servers as their main. One came over to Rag to grab something from me and I just tribed him to make it easier. He was hanging out with me all week also preparing for Valg. I let him get some of our breeding lines and I figure he will probably stay in the tribe or join us on another server (Probably not Valg but we will see - he doesnt want to go no fliers and I dont want to risk cross contamination of our challenge playthrough) He's probably the most alike me for playstyle, more grind centric than I am and ive been tribed with him for years, he was also in my first tribes when I joined the cluster long ago.

Anyways, the owner decided to put a 3 week no item/dino transfer so our main lines arent of any use yet - they will still be a good boost later though. We are still starting fresh and still going no fliers though!

Spawned at the main lakes spawn. Spent awhile exploring the small area I was in and a lot more time than id like to admit trying to kill my first few phomia for some hide. Those tall bushes are a pain! I later figured out they have a whacky hitbox for farming and I was able to get my first shack / supplies going. Went exploring around trying to find signs of AngrySaltire but really didnt make it far. Set up a small shack once i got some hide going. Built a drop box taming pen out of wood close to my base and was trying to get this 102 Tek Steggo into it. Success! This will be a great starter tame. Started pelting it with rocks from the slingshot. Kept having to repair it, 120 rocks later a wild steggo was near and aggro'd to me, like a  huge spikey ninja. I was dead in two hits. I respawned trying to lure it away and ended up getting killed, the steggo in the trap broke free and they tag teamed my shack, destroying my bed and boxes plus most of my house. Almost foundation wiped by some steggos, love it.

Built back up, re-trapped the 102 tek steggo and went back to pelting with rocks. It was fleeing, almost knocked out aaannd... I killed it. Damn.

Went to grind up a forge, mortar and made some sparkpowder to level up to 25. Got some narcotic and arrows,  ill get my tame tonight.

Edited by d1nk
  • Like 5

I haven't done anything in Ark today. Been watching the server list screen for 2+ hours so far while I wait to join the official PVE OC Valguero server. I was trying to ;log in at 7:30 am Aussie time which should be the slowest time of the day but no the server is over crowded with selfish Americans who can't stick with their own servers! And Australia and New Zealand only get one PVE Valguero server.

• Facepalm 2

Operation Giga-nap was a success. I set up the trap, and a Giga strolled up. "I'm supposed to step in the spikey-thing, right?" he inquired.

"Absolutely, good Sir," I replied. Whereupon, he triggered the trap, and I put up the last gate. 

At the sound of the trap closing, a hundred dodos dressed in dodo-ghillie popped out of the bushes and began to pelt our target with marshmallow armed slingshots. I brought him martinis during this time to assist with the torpor. He was out in no time and tamed up in a jiff. Seeing as it was still early, we all decided to have a pool party back at the base where adult libations were plentiful. Fun was had by all...

Believe it or not, my first ever Giga tame didn't quite go down like that. Instead, I had found a level 196 yesterday and went on a prep spree, making all sorts of tranqs and gathering bio toxin, etc. Today, I flew over there, located the Giga, and decided on a place to set up my trap. I land my Wyvern and wake up a rock golem. EEK! (That's the noise my Wyvern made, not me.) Anyway, it's low level, and my Wyvern manages to chew it up without attracting the Giga. I'm afraid of what my Wyvern's dentist bill is going to be, though. So then, I move my Wyvern back and set up the trap. 

Of course, the Giga sees this going on and is like, "Wow, he's setting up a trap. I really like traps. I think I'll go take a look." 

"EEP!" Although, that seemed to come out of my mouth, I'm blaming it on my Wyvern who is big into ventriloquism right now. I back off as the bear trap arms, and I'm like this could still work! Of course, the Giga swerves around the trap and heads right for me. "Son of a bi--" That one was totally me, no ventriloquism involved. I sprint toward my Wyvern, hop on, and we launch into the air a second or two before the leviathan's maw snaps shut a few feet below us. 

So we're circling in the air, while I make a mental note to bring extra clean underwear to tames like these in the future. The Giga eventually wanders off, grabbing a few snacks along the way and ends up by a cliff. Vash the Stampede (My Wyvern) and I land again, and two more rock golems pop up in the distance. Luckily, they were woke up by some other dinos and not us. So as my heart rate falls below three-fifty for the first time in the last few minutes, I begin rearranging the trap. 

The trap's all set, and Vash gives me a, "Let's do this!" nod. I take aim with my longneck rifle, there's a slight popping noise, and I miss completely. "Wrassin Frassin!" I move a little closer and manage to hit the thing that is literally as big as the side of a barn. Running, I take up a position in back of the trap. But . . . the Giga is still by the cliff. "Hmm, trying to lull me into a false sense of security, eh?"

Nope, he wasn't. It turns out he was stuck by the side of the cliff. So I knock him out after four hours, and he tames up without incident. Now, I need to find Zod a lady Giga.

Edited by Chudz66
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, ChakramPrincess said:

I haven't done anything in Ark today. Been watching the server list screen for 2+ hours so far while I wait to join the official PVE OC Valguero server. I was trying to ;log in at 7:30 am Aussie time which should be the slowest time of the day but no the server is over crowded with selfish Americans who can't stick with their own servers! And Australia and New Zealand only get one PVE Valguero server.

I'm on a Cluster that is 50% Aussies & Brits, yet is owned by a Canadian.  So I guess those people are selfish for playing on a North American server too huh?

PS4 - Unofficial cluster

still working on my colored owls, so I was jumping around from Center to Rag to Extinction, breeding and moving breeders around.  I now have 3/4 zone for a Cyan owl, but need to get them all on one owl.

I have 4/4 zones for an all Pink, but best I can get thus far is 3/4 on a baby.  and over on the center, I managed to finally get my first all orange owl. Now that is a bit misleading, as it is two different tones of orange. But it still looks pretty good.  I will continue to try and find the other zones in both oranges or continue to breed for color mutations to get them.  But I'm making some progress.

I also got a new color mutation zone for the Mint Green owls. I now have 3 zone for that. but I haven't really done any work on it, just setting aside the ones with that color mutation, and will start combining them in the next week.

Also, while on Rag, I was waiting at my friends base in the desert. I got bored, so I went out hunting scorpions. (on this cluster, Scorpions/Wolves & raptors can randomly give 3-7 element when killed. I got on a hot streak and had farmed up 100 element in about 30 minutes.  (insert Borat voice "Great Success")

So then I fly over a sand dune, and I come across a huge metal behemoth trap.as I fly up and over it, I nearly crash into a wild Giga!   it was not in the trap, but only a couple hundred yards away.  I figured, what the heck, I kite it into the trap, and see how long it takes for it to figure out how to go back the open gate.

So I get it into the trap, and for giggles I decide to check to see if by the grace of ARK, the builder left the gate UNlocked.  indeed  they had!  So I lock in the Giga, and proceed to KO it.

It was not a high level, but a nice Gray color that I rarely see on gigas on this cluster.   Running out of narcotics, it was down to 5% torpor, when it took it's final bite and stood up!

I was so worried, I had already exited the trap, and was figuring I would have to return and KO it another time.  But  I got lucky!

Led the Giga back to my friends base, and we did some owl breeding, then went to bed, while he went back to valguerro.

• Like 4

Got back into Valg. I had arrows made from the night before and I wanted to get a tame going finally. Been taking it slow enioying Bob life. There was a nice red Trike near me, kited it into my makeshift trap. As i was tranqing it. 135 trike came over and got stuck in my trap walls - decided to KO it instead. It took chase away when low and i knocked it out on the shore line. Went around gathering berries like mad to keep it out and went to the bathroom right before it tamed. When i got back it got eaten by a shark .. mustve poked itsself onto the shore or something.. 

A little bummed I start making a raft. Made a mobile taming pen and went exploring a bit. Trying to find a server mates base I died a few times when I ventured into Redwoods then after a long body recovery got back to my raft and spotted a 135 Stego.  Got it in my trap and knocked it out (after having to club.it ran out of arrows lol) This time I wasnt taking any chances and rammed my boat up to shore to watch it tame. 

Finally, Stego tamed and saddled, did a small berry run then packed up my.base (left the trap unlocked for future noob use) and went down the coast to where I thought Saltires base was. Ended up finding it like 5 minutes later, forced myself into tribe and checked out the boats. Nice home base boat, bred up an Equus and while waiting for imprints did a stone run, then just explored a bit.

Got two imprints and logged for the night. Ill get up to the base today and start building

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, chris282 said:

Another attempt to establish a foothold in the north ended... disappointingly. Daeodons and Dire Wolves were too much for us. There may have been a friendly fire incident.

"May have been" indicates this was entirely true. Glad I can turn that off in sp on Xbox. I think your running out of Oz names now.  Unless you decide to revive the names. 

Paint everyone orange and green and name them after the... orange and green small people.. shoot I forgot what they are called.

That or time to find new inspiration. 

I sometimes struggle for names.. it becomes very obvious because I start with the swear words. Or just plain numbering them. 

Edited by SnowboundGem
  • Like 2

Xbox sp Val - 

I spent the afternoon moving us from behind green ob on Val to approx 50, 50 where other half wants us to have a base. Meh I wanted to live on a cliffside not on flat land, I like the building challenges.

He has decided the two of us need a town ? so I helped out and spent 2-3 hours grinding out mats for building. 

Then an hour batch cooking narcotics because I'm sure he feeds them to every tame regardless of if they need them. Throws them about like sweets. 

Had a few strange incidents taming a 145 doed. It was trapped and was still up but not moving and it's damage numbers from tranq darts reduced. 

I went out of render needed more darts came back and it was curled up. Within seconds it was up again not moving but taking normal damage until it finally let me tame it. 

Just as I watched it eat it's last % its food filled but not the taming bar it ate twice more then it tamed. Not seen that before but I'm sure it's probably happened I just don't normally babysit tames. I leave that to other half. I knock em out he cares for them. I find next victim... I mean friend..

Because of this I have called her Glitch. I'm so original in my naming of Dino's.. ?

• Like 4