So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Busy, busy day today on the Ark.

Early in the morning one of my lesser issues became a highly relevant one. Found a 150 female rex, perfect for my needs. Unfortunately when I was trying to kite it into my pen, my own rex had chased a corpse a bit too far down the hill. The rex aggro'd him, then came up the hill and started chomping my base. I had to kill her because even a 150 isn't worth losing my base and tames. Very annoyed about that.

So I spent a good part of the day after that building.

I also did a run to chitin cave. I'm sorry, I really want to like sabers but I just can't. They're much too fragile. Mission aborted. I ended up taming a bary instead and successfully used it to go to the southern cave and get a beetle. The mastercraft saddle helps, I'm sure. Over 100 armor, found the BP in a drop.

Continued hunting for a new rex and came up with a very large problem. An alpha rex popped at carno point. Even if I wanted to challenge it my rex had no saddle at that point, I was too low to craft it. So I warily kept an eye on it and avoided the area as much as possible to avoid it rendering in and wandering up toward the base.

I also tamed up a really nice argent and despite the cramped space, I started breeding my birds. A good argent can take an alpha rex, so it seemed the logical solution to the problem. Sure I could admin kill it but that would be against the spirit of the game. It took about 4 generations of breeding but I managed to pop 3 birds with my key stats--48 HP, 54 stamina, 43 weight and 40 melee. Imprinted all 3 since I don't have a proper breeding area or a way to separate them out. The first one, a female, is now my actual mount. The other 2 are a male and female pair that are backups in case something happens to this bird, I can breed another one.

Took the new bird out for some levels, then circled back around and took on the alpha. It was a low level thankfully as I only have a primitive saddle so took a lot of damage. But we emerged triumphant, if bloody.

sp220190630222934_1.thumb.jpg.a7aacd5c57ba5313c16e924412a9f4f1.jpg

I decided my day was as done as it was going to get after that.

• Like 3

PvE Official Island Day 6

I didn't play much today but I made some good progress. Last night someone from my alliance gave me a rex they didn't want. It felt kinda cheap but I really needed something decent for meat runs. I bread it with one of his however I didn't watch the egg close enough and it didn't hatch. I decided no more breading till I have a good back with AC units. I mistaking killed someones tek para that they were taming while on a meat run so I gave them one of my partially imprinted ones. Turning out better than what they were taming anyway. I got 3 imprints in my snow owl and cryptoed it for the night. I work tomorrow so I'll open it when I get home and get another imprint before bed. It should be raised Tuesday evening. I tried to tame an argy. I found a level 150 but it was instantly killed by a rex. I got frustrated and tamed a level 55 then returned to find a higher level. I currently have a level 115 knocked out. I'd still like to find a higher level one but at least I can do short metal runs now and start to rebuild my base. I've been avoiding placing electrical/industrial stuff because I didn't plan my base very well. I want to destroy and rebuild it once I craft up a bunch of metal building supplies. I'd like to upgrade from stone anyway. I hatched my 3 tek para eggs (I know I said no more breeding but para eggs are much easier than rex) They don't take much effort to care for. I got 2 male and 1 female. I'll kill the 2 male once they're grown and use the female to replace the one I gave away. After rebuilding my base I can breed all 4 females and hatch another batch.

Current goals

Doed

Breed or tame 1-2 more female raptors for kibble - removing this goal until I have my base upgraded

Male and Female Argy. Start a breeding line. - Tamed 1 male and female but nothing good enough for a breeding line

Breed and raise 4x paras - Raising 3. No more breading until my base is upgraded 

Rebuild my base larger and with metal. My current base isn't placed very well and I can't enlarge it due to uneven ground and poor planning

Build 1 of each industrial crafting station (forge, chem bench, cooker, grill)

2-3 fridges

4-5 vaults

male and female Icthy becasue I think they'd be fun to breed - Removing this goal becasue its mostly for fun and I'd like a full base first

Female anky to start a breeding line with - Putting this goal off until I can kibble tame. I don't want to start a breading line with crop tamed dinos 

Baryonyx for caves (maybe male and female)

This is my first time really playing official for more than a day or 2 and I feel like I'm making good progress. Does anyone have suggestions for regular kibble dinos? I'd like some barys anyway for caves but do they lay a decent amount of eggs? Are carnos or turtles better?

Cya all tomorrow for day 7

• Like 3

@Richman4 All animals with the exception of dodos lay eggs at the same rate. Most people will usually tame whatever the smallest animal is so they take up the least amount of room. I will also add that with this kibble system you can use higher tier kibbles in place of lower ones. If you really wanted to skip all the hassle of a traditional kibble farm you could tame or trade for a few yutyrannus, their eggs are used for "special" egg tier kibble aka extraordinary kibble and people usually have tons of them because yutys are used in boss fights. A few of those around and you need literally nothing else for kibble. Even works with imprints. Don't forget to tame up an oviraptor for their egg boosting ability too if you don't already have one.

Good plan with the holding off on breeding. I feel like it's one of the bigger mistakes new players make, they rush headlong into breeding before being set up properly and then can't keep up with themselves, basically. Luckily AC units are fairly cheap, but on officials I think you still need at least 9 of them to guarantee hatching anything. Granted I literally just did that myself, but in my case the issue was a lack of space and not a lack of prepardness. It was really cramped hatching argents in my stable lol.

As for the uneven ground, it is actually possible but prepare to be frustrated. Going downhill is easier than going uphill, but using a pillars and ceilings system you can build up and then use ramps to make the addition accessible. Or just make another building entirely. I pretty much always end up with an entire base complex. It's not better or worse so much as it is that it's easier to plan and build one smaller building from scratch than it is to build one massive base to hold everything. Plus on a large base build, one misplacement or accidental removal can have dire consequences...ask me how I know lol. I have so much respect for anyone who builds in vanilla/official, I honestly can't function without S+ these days. Not being able to at least stack foundations to make even floors is just madness to me. And I have built without it, that's why I don't anymore lol.

I would also add that before anything else, you really want to push for that forge. It makes literally everything else so, so much easier to get. I usually start "saving" some of my metal to build one as soon as I get my first anky. Literally I make a box just for forge supplies and 10% of all the metal I smelt goes straight into that box until I have enough for it. Also if you're rebuilding in metal and you don't already have some, tame up a few snails. They make cementing paste and polymer.

• Like 1

@Cymas I thought I read about certain dinos laying eggs less often, like titanoboas and scorpions? I could go for all the highest grade kibble but I kind of prefer the progression of building up one tier at a time. I'm located on a small peninsula near the southern edge of the island (I'll get cords after work) but there is a decent amount of space with shallow water so I plan to build part of my base with pillars/ceilings. I'll have the breading/hatching area with normal foundations becuase I've heard if glitches with babies falling though ceilings but my crafting area will be over the water. I'll build with thatch/wood first then replace it all. AC units can go under the foundations if I remember correctly. I've never tamed a snail and I hate going into the swamp other than riding dinos. I do have a frog so I might just use that. They also get lots of cp.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 10:11 PM, Cythraul said:

Maybe it is because I am still relatively new compared to people who have been playing since 2015 or 2017 but this thread is incredibly intimidating. I keep reading things like, "Just started Rag and now taming a spino, rex, giga, and setting up a breeding line for mutant theriz..."

I made that up but you get the point.

Me on my little Island SP map taking hours upon hours to just build a decent shack out of wood and then celebrate when all my hard work pays off and I tame a ptera.

I cant even imagine taming the high level carnivores without turning to creative mode nonetheless ever making it to a boss arena.

I am playing on default settings because any changes feels like cheating but will likely change the taming, breeding, hatching, crop growth times as that becomes important.

Enjoy ARK at your own pace.  It is not a competition.  And yes most of us posting here have 1000-3000 or more hours into playing this frustrating, enjoyable, addicting wonderful , stupid game.

DO what you enjoy in game. That is the great benefit of SP. you can start and stop at your leisure.  Just have fun!

PS4 - UNofficial Cluster.

Since I was still sick, thanks to @SnowboundGem  lol; I spent a lot of time playing this weekend.

The cluster was running Easter event on The Island, and Christmas event on Ragnarok. I spent the first part of Saturday on The Island looking for high level colored Pteras to tame, to add some flavor to my current line.

I got a few, but was surprised at the low levels of the majority of the stuff I saw. I also came across two event colored Thylas on the same tree, and was able to tame up both of them.

I then switched over to Rag, and continued looking for high level Thylas to breed these colored ones to.  After a lot of searching, I ended up finding an all bright red male.  Otherwise it was really slim pickings. Partially due to 2-3 large bases built in the desert that appear to be blocking the Thyla spawns.

I also spent time searching for colored wyvern eggs. I eventually found a mid-level Green & White FIre  wyvern egg.  My guess is that everyone else was looking for eggs too, as I frequently came across empty nest areas.

I did manage to kill an alpha wyvern, so that helped raised up the new Green & White one

Lastly I spent my time searching for an taming event Griffins. I got really lucky, and was able to tame up 3 different level 392 Griffs (max level 420)  One looks just like Christmas, with Green wings and upper body, with Red chest. The next is Green body with brown wings, and the last one is my favorite. Red wings and red chest, with a grey body. along with the yellow beak and claws, it looks amazing!  I also found and tamed a couple other high level Griffs, but those are my favorites.

I also tamed up a max level Male Rex in Red. White and Green.  Had no luck finding a max level female yet however. Nor do I have a mate for my max level Tek Rex I tamed last week.

On Sunday afternoon, one of the admins put on a race on the server.  I was raising and imprinting the Green/White Wyvern, and some thylas, so I could not compete in it, but it was a trip watching the chat.  Basically the entrants were all given Therizino at Red OB, and had to race to Blue OB. From Blue OB, they had to use a Archeoptrix (sp?) to glide to Green OB.  This leg took forever. But then the final leg was to run from Green OB, back to Red OB carrying a Dodo.

The dinos were all provided by the admin, so they were all the same level/specs.  Amazingly, there were a couple cheaters who cryo'd the dinos and then used Tek suits or other dinos to get from one checkpoint to the other.  The admin was quick to call out and DQ the cheaters thankfully.  But even then at the end, there was a handful of people who either didn't finish in the top 3, or just didn't finish who continued to complain and demand a prize. I felt bad for the good intentioned Admin who had to deal with these people.

"Where's my prize, I participated!"   This line of thinking is so crazy to me. When I was a kid, you only got a trophy if you WON, and sometimes for finishing 2nd in a tournament.   I firmly believe the current "everyone's a winner" mentality is just creating a generation of greedy un-motivated brats. But I digress.

The winner got a really nice package of Element and Tek, along with a level 1000 colored Giga egg.  Pretty cool.  I hope they do it again next weekend, as I will try to enter this time.

• Like 3

@Aushegun I sincerely apologise for my virus which I somehow infected you with. I know it's probably giving you a hard time. My advice is get plenty of rest. 

The race sounds like fun, I don't get the need people have to cheat or feel entitled to things. Maybe being nearly 40 has changed my outlook on life. I work hard for everything in life and if I can't have something then I'm ok with that.

Let us know how it goes next time it happens. The race not the virus haha.

1 hour ago, SnowboundGem said:

@Aushegun I sincerely apologise for my virus which I somehow infected you with. I know it's probably giving you a hard time. My advice is get plenty of rest. 

The race sounds like fun, I don't get the need people have to cheat or feel entitled to things. Maybe being nearly 40 has changed my outlook on life. I work hard for everything in life and if I can't have something then I'm ok with that.

Let us know how it goes next time it happens. The race not the virus haha.

Of course you're forgiven. :)  I jest in a good natured way.

• Like 1

So today I decided to tame the much needed Rex and Argie. Since I was too lazy to gather the resources and build a trap, I mindwiped and put my points into stam and speed. I then put everything but my 600% damage longneck and tranq darts into my storage boxes and flew to Lava Island (The Center). I ended up taming an 840 and an 870 Rex, and an 890 Argie. Max level on the server is 900.  I made an insane shot when the Argie started to fly away. It was almost out of render and I took a random shot, thinking it to be a lost cause. I hit it and got a perfect tame.

8 hours ago, Aushegun said:

Enjoy ARK at your own pace.  It is not a competition.  And yes most of us posting here have 1000-3000 or more hours into playing this frustrating, enjoyable, addicting wonderful , stupid game.

DO what you enjoy in game. That is the great benefit of SP. you can start and stop at your leisure.  Just have fun!

This is so refreshing.  Thank you.  I play SP only and wonder what I'm missing from PVP/PVE server play.  It's just that much easier to start/stop when I have time to play and not scheduling it into my busy lifestyle.

• Like 3

PvE Official Day 7

Not a very productive day today. Uncryptoed my snow owl. I gave a new player my low level female ptera. Shortly after that a higher level female ptera got stuck inside my base. Naturally I tamed it and named her Karma. Did two metal and crystal runs. Played around with my frog in the swamp and didn't get near as much cp as I hoped. I guess I'll need to take @Cymas advice and tame a few snails. Crafted a bunch of thatch foundations and wooden pillers. I played around with ideas for a new breading area. Crafting 10 AC units and tried to raise the thatch foundations enough to fit the AC units under. I quickly grew very frustrated with the snap points. I may give up and build foundations, place AC units, and build ceilings half a walk about using railing. I worry about dinos falling though the ceilings so I'd really like to avoid that. About that time my owl was ready for an imprint. Cooked Prime Meat, easy enough. I took an argy toward the swamp, killed a few titanoboas till I got one, headed back but right before I got to base an Ikthy stole it. *sigh* one of those days. Finally got the imprint, 67% now and 67% mature not sure if I'll be able to get the last imprint. Recrypoed and I'm heading to bed. Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive and less frustrating.

Current goals (in order of priority)

Tame a few snails

Design a breading/hatching area. I'm going for 6x6x4 or 7x7x4 with a big ramp and larger 2nd floor I can move dinos to as they grow. The 2nd floor will have a behemoth gate and an exit ramp 

Rebuild my base larger and with metal. My current base isn't placed very well and I can't enlarge it due to uneven ground and poor planning Changing this goal slightly. Once I finish the breading area my current base will feel less crowded. The building will be next to each other so I can take my time and design a designated crafting/storage area. I'd like a hatch frame so I can drop dinos like an anky right next to a forge/vault and an exit ramp. It doesn't need to be much larger than my current building since it will be only for crafting.

2-3 fridges

4-5 vaults

Build 1 of each industrial crafting station (forge, chem bench, cooker, grill)

Build a 3rd building to store dinos and a water pen. This will complete my base. A haching/raising building, a crafting/storage building, and a dino "garage" all surrounded by gates 

Doed Removed for now to keep me focused on getting my base set up

Baryonyx for caves (maybe male and female) Removed for now to keep me focused on getting my base set up

Edited by Richman4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbfrnritunbv6 said:

I solo tamed my first ever Quetzal! I used two argies, tons of parachutes a lot of tranq arrows and patience. In the end it was actually very doable, but you need to stay focused. It took a long time, but it was fun and now I finally have a big bird myself :)

Would love to know how you chose your forum name. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PS4 - Unofficial Rag Cluster

Logged on last night, and saw that there were still some event colored Wyverns flying around the wyvern cave/cove area.   I jumped on my max level tank Fire Wyvern and headed off to the cave. got inside and spotted my first egg. grabbed it, and got attacked by a lightening wyv.  No worries, we chomp chomp chomp and its dead.  then Suddenly "You have been killed by a Poison Wyvern!     Oh dangit, I totally forgot a gas mask and got killed!

Now I had forgotten to swap out my top level tek gear and tools including a 744 longneck before going to the cave. Just stupid and poor planning on my part. I guess I was just too anxious to try and get some event colored eggs.  So now I have a dead body full of cryopods including 2 of my best Pteras plus all that gear, plus my best wyvern and bulbdog are sitting on PASSIVE being attacked.

So I spawn back at base, throw on some riot gear,  because now I realize I don't have the materials to make a new gasmask. And I jump on my 3rd best Ptera. 

I fly in to the cave, and try to whistle my wyvern to follow me. but I'm too far away, and then I realize i didn't grab another spyglass, so i can't event do that.  So I decide to try and kite the wyverns (which at this point is easily 6-8 beating the crap out of my wyvern)  I spinroll into the group of them, and it manages to get a few after me, which I quickly get stuck on another part of the cave. I then go back for the others, and kite most of them away. So I return to my wyvern and body bag, and I am trying to reach the body bag, when I get stuck between my wyvern and a large dino bone. I cannot move, and I am literally just an arms length from my body. I start panicking (because now I realize I should have just jumped on the wyvern, and moved it a few feet, and then tried for the bag again)  but regardless, I am trying to get to the bag, and finally " You have been killed by a Poison Wyvern 462"

Well crap, I was oh so close, so I spawn back at base, put on more armor, get a spyglass and grab another Ptera (my last one that has an ASC saddle) we race back to the cave, and this time I use the spyglass to get my wyvern to come to me. He takes flight, and makes it about 1/2 of the way to me, when the other wyvs finally kill him. RIP Habenero 

So I try kiting the wyverns away from my body bag, so I can at least get that. But I get triple teamed by Lightning and they knock me off my Ptera. I fall into the water, and begin swimming for my life.  I finally make it out, and then am still being attacked as I swim to land and then begin the long run home. Oh yeah, by now it it midnight, and pitch black too.

I finally get back to base. But by now I am totally deflated and defeated.  I just won't be able to get my stuff back from that cave. Dejected, I jump on my event colored Green & White Fire Wyvern "Chipotle", and we then spend the next 2 hours hitting every drop. plus the desert and ice cave loot crates.  We got some gear to replace the lost stuff, but I could only get a longneck with 246, nothing close to the previous one I had.  I had zero luck finding any more ptera saddles either.

All in all, it was a pretty sad day. and all due to making an hasty Noobish decision. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Aushegun said:

PS4 - Unofficial Rag Cluster

Logged on last night, and saw that there were still some event colored Wyverns flying around the wyvern cave/cove area.   I jumped on my max level tank Fire Wyvern and headed off to the cave. got inside and spotted my first egg. grabbed it, and got attacked by a lightening wyv.  No worries, we chomp chomp chomp and its dead.  then Suddenly "You have been killed by a Poison Wyvern!     Oh dangit, I totally forgot a gas mask and got killed!

Now I had forgotten to swap out my top level tek gear and tools including a 744 longneck before going to the cave. Just stupid and poor planning on my part. I guess I was just too anxious to try and get some event colored eggs.  So now I have a dead body full of cryopods including 2 of my best Pteras plus all that gear, plus my best wyvern and bulbdog are sitting on PASSIVE being attacked.

So I spawn back at base, throw on some riot gear,  because now I realize I don't have the materials to make a new gasmask. And I jump on my 3rd best Ptera. 

I fly in to the cave, and try to whistle my wyvern to follow me. but I'm too far away, and then I realize i didn't grab another spyglass, so i can't event do that.  So I decide to try and kite the wyverns (which at this point is easily 6-8 beating the crap out of my wyvern)  I spinroll into the group of them, and it manages to get a few after me, which I quickly get stuck on another part of the cave. I then go back for the others, and kite most of them away. So I return to my wyvern and body bag, and I am trying to reach the body bag, when I get stuck between my wyvern and a large dino bone. I cannot move, and I am literally just an arms length from my body. I start panicking (because now I realize I should have just jumped on the wyvern, and moved it a few feet, and then tried for the bag again)  but regardless, I am trying to get to the bag, and finally " You have been killed by a Poison Wyvern 462"

Well crap, I was oh so close, so I spawn back at base, put on more armor, get a spyglass and grab another Ptera (my last one that has an ASC saddle) we race back to the cave, and this time I use the spyglass to get my wyvern to come to me. He takes flight, and makes it about 1/2 of the way to me, when the other wyvs finally kill him. RIP Habenero 

So I try kiting the wyverns away from my body bag, so I can at least get that. But I get triple teamed by Lightning and they knock me off my Ptera. I fall into the water, and begin swimming for my life.  I finally make it out, and then am still being attacked as I swim to land and then begin the long run home. Oh yeah, by now it it midnight, and pitch black too.

I finally get back to base. But by now I am totally deflated and defeated.  I just won't be able to get my stuff back from that cave. Dejected, I jump on my event colored Green & White Fire Wyvern "Chipotle", and we then spend the next 2 hours hitting every drop. plus the desert and ice cave loot crates.  We got some gear to replace the lost stuff, but I could only get a longneck with 246, nothing close to the previous one I had.  I had zero luck finding any more ptera saddles either.

All in all, it was a pretty sad day. and all due to making an hasty Noobish decision. 

This perfectly describe ark. Everytime you try to get ahead you end up 6 steps behind

• Like 1

Bred yet more owls haha

My orange and white had a stamina mutation which is awesome, and his offspring got a colour mutation (sadly cyan that doesn't work with the orange at all but at least it can be bred into the lineage.) 

My current main 4. The one far left is not as dark as it looks there. 

IMG-fefa5eb2-d8e1-487f-bdd6-d36b4eb0ed22

IMG-f26aca80-26a1-4610-a4f6-437564f9d39f

Edited by Nicoli612
  • Like 3

Thanks for all of yall's responses!

I have looked up videos on taming pens and built a portable one on a raft. I was looking for carno to tame and got aggroed by a theri so panicked and ran back to my raft. Long story short it got stuck and I got away so now I have tamed my first (albeit lvl 20) therizinosaur. I guess I just needed some inspiration from Youtube and people like @Cymas.

I have watched ark videos since 2016 but had my first chance to own and play it about 3 months ago so have been playing (when I have time which is not much) since then on my Xbox.

I had to pack my xbox up yesterday because it is taking too much of my time when I should be studying for the MCAT but I will keep watching videos for ideas and reading this forum. I'm mainly just glad to see on this forum that Ark still has an active base of players.

I still have lots of plans and things to do on Ark with the first and foremost being to reach Ascension on The Island.

• Like 2

What is it with my tames and my husband killing them? Lost my male thyla last night to drowning. Whilst he was otter hunting. So he tamed another to replace it. That was a further 2 hours of work.

It's stats are nothing special for a 145 health very low 2200 ish. So we are now proud owners of the most squishy thyla on rag.. I'm taking bets on how long it stays alive. My girl tamed out with 5800 health.

Did some drop hunting whilst he hunted otters, what's with the electrical cables bps, forge bps and glass jars bps? I got 7 blue prints for glass jars from multiple blue drops come on game! I hit lots of yellow and purple also missed out on reds due to distance. So basically spent 2 hours and got saddles and a couple of weapons nothing to write home about. And more bps than I ever need for engram items.

Oh well back too it. Need to get the base up now we have the platforms down so while he's at work I will build the aviary. 

How's everyone else getting on?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1