So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Just started playing Ark recently and joined a beginners server today on The Island.

I spawned into the easiest zone and started off with gathering resources and making the basic tools, i.e pickaxe and hatchet. After this I went foresting for berries and went hunting for dodos to gather some meat for later.

Once I finished that, I decided it was time to create a base, I made a 2x1 base out of thatch and placed a campfire and a storage unit inside just to start off, I then found a supply drop and received a bed and 2 more storage units and decided it was time to expand my base so I added a 1x1 onto the side and connected it with a doorway.

My current goals now are:

Level up enough to be able to start taming some low level dinos easily.

Get some better tools and hopefully go on the hunt for metal.

• Like 2

Spent the majority of last night breeding. Started off on Extinction, saw in discord the others were doing OSD so I hopped over. Couldnt find a red osd but we did a 50k vein, over 200 element each of the 4 people.

Went back to Rag and hatched up some Quetzal and finished off imprinting my Giga (and one Quetz) Hatched a bunch of Theriz and combined our new HP mut. Between I ran the gachas, did a few hide / paste runs and hopped over to Aberration to grab 15k ingots or so.

Prepped a whack of mats into the replicator, made: 2x asc theri saddles for our boss squad revival, 1x cheap apprentice giga saddle (77arm came out 102) some cheap jm rex saddle, a bunch of my good metal pick BP and flak pieces and finally the Tek legs blueprint ive been putting off for Rag. 

Did a bit more hatching then went to extinction to hunt snow owls and manas. Spent a good 3 hours killing stuff, finally spotted a good owl; 140 female. No good manas despite killing so many. I was waiting for the owl to tame up, landed to gain stam and killing some wildlife when my game crashed. 

When I got back in my 180 hatch lightning wyv had died. Gutted I made the long run back to our owl trap. Thank raptor jesus for the glide suit. The owl tamed out with high melee (396) and i went home then logged for the night. 

Been spending more metal mats today building a remodel of our underwater breeding spot while Saltire was doing his thing there. Plan to knock out some stuff ive been meaning to do for awhile today between plays. Got a dining room table im redoing, should look nice! 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Which map on the cluster are you building on ? Am sure I have seen you logging on to Rag last night.

Just rag for now. Working with my other half on our base.

I meant physically not seen anyone not that I haven't seen chat. In case that's what you meant. 

Edited by SnowboundGem
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 5:59 AM, Cymas said:

@Richman4 Tame a seagull for super easy prime meat, set it to hunt and retrieve and have it attack dodos. Harvest the body when it drops it for you and you'll get prime meat. Also works for fish prime from fish.

Turns out this doesn't work on official becasue of PvE flyer pickup being turned off. I think their base  damage when not picking up a dino is only 1 so it cant even kill a level 5 dodo and it cant pick it up to damage it due to official settings 

It was useful to tame a otter though!

Edited by Richman4

Best husband death yet in ark.. 6 vultures agroed on him flying my argy, carrying his newly tamed glowtail and a newly tamed thorny dragon.

They dismounted him with tames on passive due to recent taming of the thorny.. he died to a 145 vulture. He then returned and got 2 of my pteras killed in doing so, he took them to help recover his stuff and tames.

Followed by a ptera taming to which a megatherium killed him as he threw the Bola at it instead of the 145 ptera who was sat next to the megatherium. It ate him and his glowtail again argy just watched.  

He did nearly finish our base foundations. Whilst I sat wondering how he would die next.

Just one of those days. ?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 4

PvE Official Island Day 5 

Today was a day of ups and downs. I died while fighting a theroziosarus on my argy. I ran back just in time to see my argy die. While it sucks to lose an argy with 4000 weight, in a way it makes everything feel more legit. I was given the argy but now I can earn it back myself. I got 2/3 imprints on my tek paras. That doesn't really effect anything but I plan to keep them since they are female. I will have 4 female 1 male that I breed for the dust/electronics. I tamed a male raptor so now I have 2 female 1 male raptors for kibble. I attempted to breed them becasue I'd like at least 3 females but I didn't pay close enough attention to the eggs and my fire went out so they never hatched. I tamed a male and female pteranodon. I mostly wanted these to lure an argy. Found someone on my map willing to trade a snow owl egg for 2k ingots so I spent the rest of my ingots on that. It won't be easy to get more until I have something to carry my anky. I tamed a level 15 icthyornis becasue I thought it is useful for prime meat. On official map PvE it cant get prime meat, only prime fish meat, due to flyer carry being turned off. However it was useful when I found a 110 otter to tame. I traded the otter for a frog so now I have a good source of cp. Once I get another argy I will be ready to upgrade my base to metal and set up some industrial crafting stations. I hatched the snow owl and will be up most of the night. Hoping to get most of the imprints

Current dinos:

Anky (metal and berries)

Beelzebufo (Caves and CP)

3x Dodos (Basic Kibble)

Ichthyornis (Prime Fish Meat)

Phiomia (poop for fertilizer)

2x Pteranodons

3x Raptors (Simple Kibble)

Sarco 

Snow Owl Baby

5x Tek Parasaurs (Electronics and dust)

15 hours ago, Richman4 said:

Current goals:

Icthy (I have a mastcraft longneck from someone in my alliance) -- Done

Doed

Anky -- Done

Set up a farm so I'm ready for higher level kibble -- Done

Male raptor for kibble -- Done

Trike or stego for berries - Anky works fine

Male tek parasaur to breed for free electronics/elemental - Done

Current goals after day 5:

Doed

Breed or tame 1-2 more female raptors for kibble

Male and Female Argy. Start a breeding line.

Breed and raise 4x paras

Rebuild my base larger and with metal. My current base isn't placed very well and I can't enlarge it due to uneven ground and poor planning

Build 1 of each industrial crafting station (forge, chem bench, cooker, grill)

2-3 fridges

4-5 vaults

male and female Icthy becasue I think they'd be fun to breed

Female anky to start a breeding line with

Baryonyx for caves (maybe male and female)

Sorry for the long post but they help me to set goals and focus on progressing. These goals are not all for one day. I'll keep checking them off and adding to the list as I move on

Edited by Richman4
  • Like 2

@Richman4 The mod was updated...the problem was it either updated again or the update itself failed/was corrupted...either way I lost basically my entire base twice in as many days. Wasn't worth the effort to me to replace it all again.

Had a very long day in Ark today. Started out from almost nothing, and ended with this:

sp120190629224507_1.thumb.jpg.e8b7016686e67611696a53a849cb6988.jpg

The taming arena in the background has 5 pens, including one covered one for argents. So far I've had 3 pens in use at the same time.

• Like 1

Just now, Cymas said:

@Richman4 The mod was updated...the problem was it either updated again or the update itself failed/was corrupted...either way I lost basically my entire base twice in as many days. Wasn't worth the effort to me to replace it all again.

Had a very long day in Ark today. Started out from almost nothing, and ended with this:

sp120190629224507_1.thumb.jpg.e8b7016686e67611696a53a849cb6988.jpg

The taming arena in the background has 5 pens, including one covered one for argents. So far I've had 3 pens in use at the same time.

Damn you're making fast progress!

Maybe it is because I am still relatively new compared to people who have been playing since 2015 or 2017 but this thread is incredibly intimidating. I keep reading things like, "Just started Rag and now taming a spino, rex, giga, and setting up a breeding line for mutant theriz..."

I made that up but you get the point.

Me on my little Island SP map taking hours upon hours to just build a decent shack out of wood and then celebrate when all my hard work pays off and I tame a ptera.

I cant even imagine taming the high level carnivores without turning to creative mode nonetheless ever making it to a boss arena.

I am playing on default settings because any changes feels like cheating but will likely change the taming, breeding, hatching, crop growth times as that becomes important.

• Like 3

@Richman4 I have a lot of practice starting from scratch lol. Also I've had the concept of that arena in mind for awhile so the design wasn't as fussy as it could have been.

Normally I start out on a raft but I decided this time I would just go where the animals are instead of having to carry them all home. This area is just south of carno point on The Island, where you can find all kinds of things to tame. My basic progression these days is dodo > trike > icthyornis > ptera > argent > doed/anky/wood gatherer/caver > apex predator. It's more or less the order I went in here, although I did sacrifice my first trike to get my first argent, then went and tamed a new trike. I also took time away from building to hunt down an alpha raptor for exp after taming my ptera in order to power level myself up to 62 for the argent saddle.

As soon as the arena was built I started collecting my "second gen" of utility animals at much higher levels. I basically don't tame anything under 100 these days even when just starting out; anything less is simply too weak to keep up with the demands I put on it. Now I'm going for top levels in hopes of getting some breedable stats, and since I'm constantly patrolling for high level rexes and yutys close enough to lure in anyway.

Then I started to get tired of things attempting to attack my animals and decided to build an actual base, lol. Up until the last half hour of my day my entire base was jammed onto just 8 foundations with everything clustered around it. I have the shell of the house done sans roof and plan to build an attached stable for the utility animals, particularly the birds. I'm not too worried about anything else, especially with that rex around. He was a 150 wild.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cymas said:

@Richman4 I have a lot of practice starting from scratch lol. Also I've had the concept of that arena in mind for awhile so the design wasn't as fussy as it could have been.

Normally I start out on a raft but I decided this time I would just go where the animals are instead of having to carry them all home. This area is just south of carno point on The Island, where you can find all kinds of things to tame. My basic progression these days is dodo > trike > icthyornis > ptera > argent > doed/anky/wood gatherer/caver > apex predator. It's more or less the order I went in here, although I did sacrifice my first trike to get my first argent, then went and tamed a new trike. I also took time away from building to hunt down an alpha raptor for exp after taming my ptera in order to power level myself up to 62 for the argent saddle.

As soon as the arena was built I started collecting my "second gen" of utility animals at much higher levels. I basically don't tame anything under 100 these days even when just starting out; anything less is simply too weak to keep up with the demands I put on it. Now I'm going for top levels in hopes of getting some breedable stats, and since I'm constantly patrolling for high level rexes and yutys close enough to lure in anyway.

Then I started to get tired of things attempting to attack my animals and decided to build an actual base, lol. Up until the last half hour of my day my entire base was jammed onto just 8 foundations with everything clustered around it. I have the shell of the house done sans roof and plan to build an attached stable for the utility animals, particularly the birds. I'm not too worried about anything else, especially with that rex around. He was a 150 wild.

Are you playing single player or a server? What settings do you use? Do you still consider an icthyornis worthwhile if it can't gather prime meat like on official pve?

Single player with heavily customized settings. Exp is default, though. Taming is 10x, breeding is 45x since the game does not progress when I'm not playing, unlike online servers. So I can't just fill a baby/trough with meat and wake up to an adult animal the next day lol.

If the icthyornis can't gather prime then no, you'd be better off with a dimo or 3. A flock of high level ones will melt almost anything. As far as gathering prime goes, if you're on foot or have something like a trike sacros are easy enough. If you have a ptera/raft and can travel far enough north, headshot some low level argents.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cythraul said:

Snipped for forums' sake

The biggest thing to tame anything big or high level - Being prepared. Big help is a taming pen. You can make a really great one, many types: Drop pen (for argy or quetz/wyvern to drop tames into) just need 8x dino gates in a 2x4 square with a few fence foundations in 2 or 3 of the gate holes, fill with stone doorframes (empty) to shoot though. Same build but add a ramp up one side to lure tames if u cant flyer pickup into a box, works for alphas as a kill box too.

Rex? Spino? Stone behemoth gate, 8-10 dino gates, place gate, ring in with dino gates. Open behe gate so it is open facing outwards. Optional: place a large bear trap in the center, armed. Lure rex or spino or theriz or w.e into the trap, exit the back and run around to gate, close then run back to the back. Voila. Same concept but build a ramp up non-behemoth gate side and safey trap any dino in the game.

Always use atleast stone. Its most efficient and nothing damages it except gigas and other niche dinos.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cythraul said:

I am playing on default settings because any changes feels like cheating but will likely change the taming, breeding, hatching, crop growth times as that becomes important.

Changes to setting are not cheating at all the game is designed to either make it harder or easier for you depending how you like it, what you have time for etc. Pretty much like any game that has easy or hard mode. The settings are accessible for that reason.

I do understand the intimidation, I remember a first map play through with default setting I had, I struggled to get decent level Dino's to fight the bosses. That's when I discovered breeding and mutations of stats. The mut colours matter little to me unless I'm breeding it in at the end for a finished look. 

I then found out I could turn up the difficulty of Dino levels and made life a bit easier on myself. Also a bit harder as I was used to easy tames I didn't know about correct/effective taming food and breeding or food timers etc back then. 

I would just get used to finding high rocks to shoot tranqs down onto a carnivore learn how they move etc before taking them on. 

Learn to build taming pens and taming rafts, I use a few different traps but prefer the stone gateway trap. Have a look at YouTube for traps ideas.

Either way as long as your having fun with the game there isn't any rush to complete one map or the next.

I'm sure others here have advice or pointers they too can offer if you need any and I'm not assuming you do. Just trying to share a few of my learning curves.

How long have you been playing? 

Edited by SnowboundGem
  • Like 1

@Cythraul @Richman4 is correct, I'm using official difficulty with override on and SP settings turned off so the max level is 150. Taming is at 10x so it takes a lot less time and I can prime/mutton most animals without losing effectiveness, but it still takes the same amount of effort to actually KO anything. I'm also using the game.ini code I linked to a page or so back that equalizes the levels on vanilla maps so high level animals spawn much more frequently because that's a huge QoL issue for these maps.

I also have PVE carry on, which is why I built that huge arena thing in the background of my screenshot. I can lure argents/rexes in to dedicated pens, and simply use one of my argents to drop other stuff in the other pens. On official I can only imagine you have to either tame in the wild, use community taming pens (maybe? I've never played on an unofficial server that didn't have those), or utilize something like a taming raft that can be brought to wherever the animal you want to tame is located while still being reusable. I've done all of the above pretty much interchangably, I just vastly prefer the convenience of a taming base build so I can safely tame while doing other things.

The other reason is because as I said, I only tame 100+ these days even when just starting out. The only real exception is if I don't have a good level trike around and just need something to farm berries. Sure, weaker animals are easier to tame, but they're also, well, weak. Their use is extremely limited and they should be treated as disposable. I generally treat early game tames that way anyway. Like how I mentioned I sacrificed a trike yesterday to tame an argent. Not the first time I've done something like that. I had a temporary pen for argents and the bird would not get in the trap, it was 100% focused on the trike. So I let it kill the trike while I shot it, then it chased me into the pen and I got it down immediately. It sucked losing the trike, but in the grand scheme of things an argent is 100x more valuable. And I just went and tamed a new one after anyway even though I don't strictly need one anymore.

Location does play a big part in this, though. I picked the spot I did precisely because of "carno point", a tiny area of the map that continuously spawns a ton of different animals, mostly carnivores, that are constantly battling each other. Most of the animals that spawn there are things I need to tame. Rexes, argents, allos, ankys, doeds, and I'm close enough to lure a yuty in if I happen across one in the snow. So it made sense to build a pen close to where so many things spawn in. That's how I accumulated so many animals so quickly. I wasn't planning on taming an extra anky or a doed for example, but when I find a high level I take it. Both of them were 145 wild while my original ones were just 100+ to get started. The nice thing about the pen is also that when you find an injured herbivore, they can safely regen inside the pen before you attempt to KO them since they'll usually despawn if you leave render range after moving them. 

• Like 1

I spent most of last night in our new water breeding setup raising and imprinting the 3 tuso babies I had in cryo while attempting to merge the new basilosaurus colours into our current line. D1nk has also been working his magic with a underwater base, so we are all good to go with water breeding on Ragnarok. The tuso raising was an absolute drag, they take so long to reach maturity. Got all three up to 94% imprinting though,once I get our ascendant saddles on them these will be beastly. Going to use one of the males as a personal mount and leave the other male and female in reserve as a back up pair. 

Didnt have much luck with the whales, but I settled on an intermediate male with some of the stats and colours to switch with the current low level male. Am hoping this doesnt take too many more generations, I hate mammal breeding and aquatic mammal breeding is even worse. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cythraul said:

Maybe it is because I am still relatively new compared to people who have been playing since 2015 or 2017 but this thread is incredibly intimidating. I keep reading things like, "Just started Rag and now taming a spino, rex, giga, and setting up a breeding line for mutant theriz..."

I made that up but you get the point.

Me on my little Island SP map taking hours upon hours to just build a decent shack out of wood and then celebrate when all my hard work pays off and I tame a ptera.

I cant even imagine taming the high level carnivores without turning to creative mode nonetheless ever making it to a boss arena.

Don't be intimidated! Keep in mind that most of us have done this enough times that it's routine. If you read back far enough in this thread I've actually fresh started about 6 times in the past 2 months alone. In the beginning we all do pretty much the same things you do. It's just that I've done it so many times I've learned what I can easily skip to get to where I want to be in game. I also know the map well enough that I generally have an idea of where I want to build before I even spawn my character in, so I'm starting off with a purpose and a game plan. I know where I want to go and what I need to get there, so that's what I do.

Even with all of my game experience I love the early game levels for its unpredictability and sometimes I wish I could actually play it more like I used to when I was new, too. Don't worry about what the rest of us are doing, relax and enjoy doing what you're doing now. That part of the Ark experience is special and can't ever be replicated no matter how many times you start over.

• Like 3

Technically, I did this stuff yesterday. Anyway, I managed to find a LOT of reaper queens, and my now lv 500 drake was able to survive all of that thanks to the boosted stats I added to my SP playthrough.I managed to find a 260 queen, but I got a level 20 reaper instead, so I don't know what happened, then again, there were like 5 reaper queens there. Also, I managed to get a bit of nameless venom and pheromone glands 

• Like 1

Good day yesterday. Got to catch up on a lot of smaller projects ive been meaning to do. Spent a lot of time sitting around gachas, have 2 pairs set up (crystal/obs, org poly - element dust, crystal/pearls) black pearl seperate.

Did some minor base additions, fleshed out the breeding barn top, finished the greenhouse, then went over to The Center. Helped out an ally with a mana baby and in return he gave me a ridiculous amount of Fibre (212k) and my wonderful tribemate did a huge hide run so the name of the game is: Big Crafts! 

Grabbed some stuff from Center, 5 snails, Ovis pair, whole bunch of blueprints and some tames. Organized all my theriz into pods and stored away for rag future bosses then went back to Rag. 

Organized my crafting mats, went to the server mates place and gave him a rock drake egg, then back to base to craft. I made 14 mindwipes earlier and grabbed a few. I was a tad short from everything I wanted to make so I did a bit more gathering. These squid saddles alone are 38,000 fibre each! Nuts. Mindwiped and made in total: 2x asc tuso saddles, 1x asc rex saddle, 2x asc megalosaurus saddles, 1x apprentice Tek Rifle, 2x 500 dmg pike bps and a few random utility items. We have stacking .ini up to 1000 for hide, fibre, ingots etc and it was close to filling my replicator! 

After crafting I did a mad Adobe spree and put together a few buildings ive been putting off: Snail hut and a second Gacha/Owl tower.

After enjoying my new builds i set about to make a Public trading area for offline trades / safe meeting spot. A server mate and I have been discussing it all day. Ive spent most of my resources by now so I did a bit of transferring around to gather up a tek genny, teleport, tek behe gate and some premade stone structures. I installed it all in one part of our Waterfall base, under the beaver dams on Rag canyon area. It will have an unlocked tek behe gate, teleporter, building with a few pincoded rooms assigned to tribes and a small crafting spot with a few AC and other helpful stuff,should a new person need it.

• Like 2