So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

On 6/21/2019 at 7:07 AM, Cymas said:

So basically it still isn't very stable lol. It's a running joke that Microsoft only produces a decent OS every other version. XP was great, 7 is very nice, Vista only worked on beefy machines, 8/Metro was utter trash, and 10 is still unstable? Sounds about right. 

Win10 is working surprisingly well for me, esp. for Ark and gamez. I did have to download Windows Update Blocker so they can't force updates on me. That settled all stability issues, I prefer to let others test MS's patches for awhile :)

Side note, the compact.exe with Win10 is a gem. It crunches apps by 40% and there's zero impact to Ark's gameplay that I can see. It does take a few more seconds to load the client, but nothing else I've noticed. (this is on an SSD so YMMV).

2 hours ago, Aushegun said:

PS4 - The Island - Unofficial

So last Thursday night for fun, I jumped on a totally different unofficial server, and started out from scratch. This server has boosted drops, but not crazy boosted, and most of the stuff is for Abberation, even though this The Island map. It also has a good mix of dinos from all maps.

So I played about 4 hours that night, and managed to make a small stone base, and tame up a couple Griffins and a few Pteras and Moschops.

One of the last things I did was make a fabricator. I then spent my last time doing resource runs.

So on Saturday morning, I log back onto the server, and I immediately jump on a Griffin, and hit drops and grab resources for a full hour. (The Weight stat for humans and dinos is the only boosted stat, so basically unlimited weight)

So I finally get back to my base, and upon entering it, I start to load my resources into the fabricator. I notice that it is empty.  Hmm that's odd, but maybe I never put anything in it on Thursday.  Then I I check my Smithy, which I know had resources in it.  EMPTY. Every unlockable item in my base was empty. Except for a note from someone saying "Get Raided".

This was a stone foundation, stone wall, and stone roof base. only 2 doors, and both were closed and pin coded.  This is a PvE server.

Sooo how does someone get in and steal everything and get out again?   I've never seen this before, and the only thing I can think of is the windows. They somehow got in thru the tiny holes in the stone window walls.  But I didn't think that was possible.

I then spoke to another player that I had befriended on Thursday night, and he said the same thing happened to his base, but his is all metal, and without any windows.

At this point I believe it must have been some hack to get the thief thru walls.  Needless to say, I quit the server.  No point in continuing if I can't protect my resources.

Tell the server admin and show them the evidence. You don't have to stay on the server but the other server ppl deserve the warning. 

You can get clipped through walls, esp. windows in a number of ways. Climbing picks are known to let you pop through windows and walls at corners, YT has videos showing you how. Picking someone up with a dino lets you push them through things (mesh biting). Monkeys can even be thrown through windows to unlock doors, but that's for PvP use, not sure if it works in PVE

• Thanks 1

Busy day Sunday. Mostly breeding and farmng. Half the day was spent over on Ragnarok combining all my new theriz stats and getting my mutation squad squared up. Was letting the gachas run all day while doing so. 

Did a few hops over to Rag Desert mountain to farm some ingots and even went over to Ab to do the same. Made some vacuum chamber pieces for my next build project then took a few down to my ally base in the deep ocean, set a few up for a bed spawn and started finishing my tuso off.

Went over to Extinction and got together with 3 other server folk, ran a couple Red OSD, a 50k vein and killed a desert titan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aikar said:

FYI you do not need to set pin codes on your things, that actually decreases your security as someone can guess the pin code.

The only reason to ever set a pin code is if you WANT to allow someone outside your tribe access. If you only want for you and your husband, don't pin anything. Everything is default locked, don't unlock it.

I have been on servers, where the ONLY way to lock your stuff is to pin code it.  EIther Pin coded or unlocked. no other choices.  

2 minutes ago, Aikar said:

That's one weird server... I don't get why that would be a thing. 

Yeah, learned the hard way, when I did not pin code my turrets (on a PvE) and someone stole all my bullets out of them.  Once I pin coded them, I never had an issue again, and I even caught the theif coming back to steal again, but watched him leave in frustration when he couldn't steal them the 2nd time.

Aberration 

Got on for some fun tonight. I had planned to get on and raise some theris and yutys for spare back up boss dinos and in preparations for another Tek Cave attempt, but I got side tracked instead. D1nk let me know about our new shared water breeding pens on Ragnarok and the Center with one of the other guys on our cluster. Both are in massive underwater caves and also utilise the underwater vacuum compartments. I loved it. So I just had to do my bit to help grind out more mats for further vacuum compartments, but also to try and get back into d1nks good books as I basically havent played much in a week.

Hoped onto Aberration to make use of our Ab metal farming outposts. Normally I prefer to make use of safer metal farming spots but yhe new outpost just gets us so much metal. Did one metal run and had to take a break as the anky was taking a beating from all the wild aggros. So I took a trip into the drake trench for some more drakes eggs. The trip netted a few 160 and 170 eggs but none of the much sought after 180s or 190s. A final couple of metal runs to round out the night before logging off.

• Like 2

So I ascended yesterday, and today I decided to transfer to ISO Crystal Isles to get some drake/wyvern eggs, and harvest some element to automate my gachas producing metal for the kibble mod. Transfered a freshly tamed megalosaurus , my velonasaur, snow owl, managarmr, 2 gachas and my enforcer. I intend to set up at the little hole in the terrain at the drake nest, due to it being so easy to get eggs that way.

Edit: my  posts above this one were accidentally posted. I give my Apologies.

Edited by BusyEXE
Explanation of above posts

@Kodking194 That's an interesting compromise, I don't think I'm quite ready to spawn stuff in just yet though.

@SnowboundGem I know Far's Peak very well, that was my go to spot for allos for awhile. There's almost always a giga up over there but it may be worth a shot anyway.

@Milsurp I am reminded of how you need a separate removal tool to get rid of McAfee because the program is harder to remove than most of the viruses it claims to protect you from, lol.

Spent pretty much my entire day today doing this:

spsnowhide20190624205552_1.thumb.jpg.9f75c9e8257406589e0a5529dd4ae131.jpg

Creative mode base build: a "high hide" yuty/snow taming base.

Fun fact about yutys, I don't know if they were based on the old rex model or what but they do fit through regular dino gates. I noticed this when mine kept ending up in the space underneath my other base, the openings there are considerably smaller with no gates and they still manage to stick their feathery heads in whenever something wanders in.

There are two gates here that open directly into small taming pens. Kite the yuty in (there's room to fly clear on a bird and/or doors to run through on foot) and tame at your leisure. Plenty of ACs for comfort and an elevator that can bring tames up to the middle, open tier while they await transport.

The pens will work for anything smaller too. I don't really plan on taming anything but maybe I'll find a good anky or something, who knows. Still plenty of work to do but it should be basically functional, just need to get gas and run wires and all that fun stuff.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Aushegun said:

PS4 - The Island - Unofficial

So last Thursday night for fun, I jumped on a totally different unofficial server, and started out from scratch. This server has boosted drops, but not crazy boosted, and most of the stuff is for Abberation, even though this The Island map. It also has a good mix of dinos from all maps.

So I played about 4 hours that night, and managed to make a small stone base, and tame up a couple Griffins and a few Pteras and Moschops.

One of the last things I did was make a fabricator. I then spent my last time doing resource runs.

So on Saturday morning, I log back onto the server, and I immediately jump on a Griffin, and hit drops and grab resources for a full hour. (The Weight stat for humans and dinos is the only boosted stat, so basically unlimited weight)

So I finally get back to my base, and upon entering it, I start to load my resources into the fabricator. I notice that it is empty.  Hmm that's odd, but maybe I never put anything in it on Thursday.  Then I I check my Smithy, which I know had resources in it.  EMPTY. Every unlockable item in my base was empty. Except for a note from someone saying "Get Raided".

This was a stone foundation, stone wall, and stone roof base. only 2 doors, and both were closed and pin coded.  This is a PvE server.

Sooo how does someone get in and steal everything and get out again?   I've never seen this before, and the only thing I can think of is the windows. They somehow got in thru the tiny holes in the stone window walls.  But I didn't think that was possible.

I then spoke to another player that I had befriended on Thursday night, and he said the same thing happened to his base, but his is all metal, and without any windows.

At this point I believe it must have been some hack to get the thief thru walls.  Needless to say, I quit the server.  No point in continuing if I can't protect my resources.

i dont know if this was patched, but with climbing picks, if your character is small they would have been able to climbing pick into the base and loot, i say lock your stuff aswell,  or they could have used a monkey, apparently monkeys can unlock doors. also i doubt an admin would do this as yes they would get nothing out of it accept for a angry server member. i have been told that small survivors can glide into bases through windows with glide suits, but it takes practice and presision.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Aushegun said:

I have been on servers, where the ONLY way to lock your stuff is to pin code it.  EIther Pin coded or unlocked. no other choices.  

If you play on PC unofficials (rented for PS4), there are better options. I allow all structure locking on my cluster to prevent that type of theft. Only structures with inventories will be effected but they lock by default on placement, but crafting stations that have fuel in the them can still be toggled on/off.

Edited by SaltyMonkey
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

If you play on PC unofficials (rented for PS4), there are better options. I allow all structure locking on my cluster to prevent that type of theft. Only structures with inventories will be effected but they lock by default on placement, but crafting stations that have fuel in the them can still be toggled on/off.

salty do u run a ps4 server. if so i am looking for a decent server to join once i get internet that can handle it. what r the settings/ community and mode like

10 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Yep, the two servers I play on regular now, both have everything auto locked.  So nice to have smithy, forge, etc locked.

PS4 - Ragnarok - Unofficial

Logged into the Grinder Element server last night and took my Fire Wyvern out to hit drops and look to tame some more colored Griffins (I'm addicted).

Before I even got to the first Griff spawn area, I see a high level Tek Rex, so I fly down, set up a trap, and kite it in. While I am tranqing it, I hear a Rex roar, but from behind me. I turn around to see a top level regular rex chomping on my passive Wyvern.   So I run around an trap that one, while it was focused on chomping on my wyvern.

I then proceeded to KO'd both of them. The Tek Rex stood up first, and so I then took the remaining kibble over to give to the still knocked out regular rex. But seconds after I do, I get jumped by a pair of Terror Birds, and they hit the sleeping rex as well. Or I did, while trying to fight them off. Needless to say, the rex taming efficiency went in the toilet, so I took my kibble out, and force fed it stimberries. I then left it to wake up, while I went on my way.

I ended up taming 2 very high level colored Griffins. The first one was Denver Broncos Blue, Orange and white. The second one had Red Wings and body, with the light tan chest.

I also ended up taming a mid level colored Anky, to help me harvest Flint, as the sparkpowder and gunpowder recipes on this server are crazy expensive in flint.

On the way back to base, I saw a ringed drop near the Wyvern cover/hidden have, and I swung down to grab it. We then got attacked by a Alpha Wyvern, and my Wyv was able to tank and kill it. Then as we started to take off again, we spot another Alpha wyvern in the same area!  I've never seen 2 before like this., so we go and kill than one too.

Back at base, and with 100 bottles of wyvern Milk, I decide to hatch up all of the wyvern eggs I had. The majority of them should be event colored, so I was pretty excited. Well, an hour later, I had 11 wyvern babies, and only 2 of them were colored. Quite disappointing. So I cryo'd  all but one of the babies and will give them away/kill them off later. on this server, the tamed dino HP recovery rate is so high, that it is basically impossible to kill your own tames, unless you cryopod them, and put them in the Grinder.  It sucks when you are breeding Gachas trying to geta Dust one, to waste so many cryopods, but either that or leave them scattered around the map, and piss off the admin. So I just grind all my unwanted babies.

While working around the base, in between imprints on the Wyvern, my "Air Raid" Tek Para, told me about an intruder just outside my front gate. When I took a peek, it was a beautiful Green Bay Packer colored Thyla. So I quickly tamed that up.

Then I called it a night.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Anarki said:

I logged in this week, fed my dinos, logged off. We lost our Rag server the other week as other tribemate hadnt logged on to refresh everything... still not got the feeling to come back yet.

A few more weeks possibly.

NO harm in taking a break. Enjoy the summer, and come back at the end of July, and maybe you will have a Valguero server to explore!

• Like 1

ISO Crystal Isles 

Okay, so I set up in the same hidden cave, which seems incomplete to be honest. I decided to take my Owl out for drake eggs, got lucky with a 640 Drake Egg! Though I found out that the max level for drakes on difficulty 20 is 740, meaning that it is generally overpowered considering nothing else (other than wyverns) can get to 740 naturally, unless perfect tamed. May go wyvern hunting today.

I may even Buy aberration today! :)