So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

14 minutes ago, Chudz66 said:

Well, the plan was to tame that Quetz I saw last time, but it never really got off the ground. 

I hopped off my Argy while it was flying just above the ground, grappled to him, hit the "All Move To" key while pointing into the sky, and . . . he landed. "What the heck?" I made sure he was in the right tame group and listening to whistles, and he still did it. I must have tried for a good twenty minutes getting it to work, but he just wouldn't cooperate. One time, I hit the key when we were on the ground and he started walking in that direction. Definitely don't think that would be much help with Quetz taming. I don't know if this has anything to do with it being a no flyer carry server. So I figured, I''d go the Tapejara route. 

I tame one of those, hop in the front seat, hit the "All Move To" key, and he lands too. "Rassin Frassin!" So I eventually gave up on the Quetz.

As a consolation prize, I did a mega-metal run and finally built an Industrial Forge. I also put out a grinder from the Automated Ark mod. Afterward, I decided to get some working dinos and tamed a Doed, Megaloceros, and am working on a Castoroides now. Think that will be it for the day.

If it helps any.. theres a few spots on The Island you can force the quetz to get stuck for easier taming: Volcano sidemo obsidian mountain river side cliff, snow biome 3 spots (by the 'murder beach' theres a cliff edge) - on the same side as above but higher up the mountain and near blue obelisk it will get stuck in the mountain. 

Easiest without Griffin, could also rare flower pull it, no?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, d1nk said:

If it helps any.. theres a few spots on The Island you can force the quetz to get stuck for easier taming: Volcano sidemo obsidian mountain river side cliff, snow biome 3 spots (by the 'murder beach' theres a cliff edge) - on the same side as above but higher up the mountain and near blue obelisk it will get stuck in the mountain. 

Easiest without Griffin, could also rare flower pull it, no?

I'll check those spots out, thanks.

I can't remember which board, but I read that the flowers didn't work on Quetzs, so I've never tried them. If they've worked for you, I'll definitely start with that. 

Scorched Earth - Private Xbox Cluster

Made a fresh start. Forgot how brutal this map is in the early game. Spawned by the central mountain and put together a little shack half way up the mountain so I can at least see any predators lurking around.

I didn’t play for long, but at least I’ve made a start. Just need to find a flat spot near a water well so I can build up without dying of dehydration and then I’ll make a start on taming. My main task that session was to get a bed down, basic storage, mortar and pestle and preserving bin.

• Like 3

Part 2 of the Long Night (*NEW* Now with less Arya!)

When i got back on made those two Tek Helmets, threw one in Saltires vault then went over to Extinction to knock out another Titan. This time brought a new guy and another server member. We got shafted on loot so i gave it to one of the other guys. Only one tek bp last time we got 4!

Hopped over to Aberration and went on a mission to hit some surface drops. Only really been twice before quickly but this time I stayed out the whole 90% night. Hit 3 90% nights like this. Over 20 drops and the only good loot was a jm roll rat saddle and two premade asc saddles; Megalo and Spino. Threw the megalo saddle on Saltires body then hopped over to the crafted character i made on Ab. Hes been sleeping in a Tek Pod gaining exp, threw on the grinder and before i knew it he was already level 60. Maaan.. crafting element is so much easier with crafting. It makes it the same speed as stone walls! Made 150 element then logged out had a pounding headache

Today is Reaper day! @AngrySaltire and I are heading down to the Rad zone in our best dressed looking for a chick to knock us up. Hopefully we wont spend too much on drinks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Had to post this. Was just at the surface getting drops. Was on my last drop of the night, popped down for a yellow. Ive been pretty good at these drops - perching up high waiting for it to drop then zoom down, right beside drop and loot - back to up high. Not a single close call.

This last yellow i did the same, zoomed down and it was right beside the obelisk. Hopped off grabbed drop and as I turned around a reaper king burrowed between my Drake and I.. wham! Tail swipe sends us both flying. Im wearing full blueprint tek gear so im scrambling back to drake,Wham! Another tailswipe sends me into 2 other reapers and im dinner. Scrambled up a haz suit and borrowed a drake ran back up to save my tek gear mostly.. drake and shinehorn died as soon as I got to my body.. got my gear and scrambled out of there. 

RIP Drakzin and Lamb of God (my awesome black and red shinehorn from Ab v.1) Thrilling! These are the moments why we play ark. 

• Sad 3

Aberration 

Spent the night hunting reaper queens with d1nk in the red zone. We start off by attempting to kill low level with our drakes but even level 5s and 20s were giving us greif. So we started trapping and teleporting them back to base to munch on them with megalosaurus. Definitely the way to do it. Had a slight opsy with our first attempt. Tried teleporting a low level back to the holding pen but none of us went with it. Got back to an empty holding pen. More than likely it despawned upon teleportation but I find it funny to think there a queen hiding away somewhere. 

Eventually ran into a 120 queen so kited that back to the reaper trap and successfully trapped it and teleported it back to the holding pen. Used megalosaurus to bring the health down and started impregnation. Also word got out on our chat that we had a queen trapped so we had people lining up to trade us to get access to the queen. Set up 3 other folk with kings. Think in all both d1nk and I got 3 each from her, raised two fully and cryoed the last. Named mines Hydra, Kraken and Behemoth. 

Raised up another batch of megalosaurus while I was waiting around base, going to have to get my trench squad sort out soon and get them into the trench. D1nks getting impatient for some 190 drake eggs haha. Oh boy I look forward to getting down into the trench again. Love it down there.

Edited by AngrySaltire
  • Like 3

Had a little hiatus from posting/playing. Started my single player world over, had some RL stuff happen, as I talked to @d1nk about, and then got bombarded with some other things, so I wanted to just take a step back and start out fresh, even in game.

Single Player- Island- Ps4

Been grinding for almost the last week on the south side of the island (Spawn). Didn’t build a base for a LONG time, just relied on a single foundation lol. Started off taming 4 Dilos all 70-95 pre tame, and 2 lystro’s 25 and 145 pre tame. I also happened to find 2 ptera’s 95 and 100 that were great color patterns, and even tho I was a long way off from unlocking the saddle, I tamed both of them anyway. During the 2nd tame, at over 90% completion, I get hit from behind by a bary lvl 15 thankfully (it didn’t hit the ptera), I bola’d it and Ko’d It just to have it on my side lol.

After a while, and getting the ptera saddles , I venture out looking for a sarco, found an otter along the way and tamed it up (I was probably more pumped about that than I probably should have been lol). I find a 50 sarco and really just wanted to tame it for the water traveling purposes for the time being. Successfully tame it, and man was it a beast. I got a little too confident with it, as I was going through the ocean I see jellyfish. Now the noobness in me remembers you can get something from jellyfish but I could not remember what. I decide to attack the group of 4 head on. Welp, I am dumb, I die, my otter dies, but I am able to retrieve my stuff because the sarco is tanking. I was a decent way out so I pressed “follow all” to try and maybe save the sarco since I didn’t have any creatures near me, or so I thought. I glance over and see a bary in the water, and it was my bary, The sarco dies and they immediately go over to it and kill it pretty easily. I make a dash for shore, as I get almost to shore I see all my Dino’s getting into the water, dang it, so I have to stop them and they all get out just barely beating the jellyfish to the shore line. 

I get everybody together and gather my thoughts, well, only way to handle this. Revenge mission... I fly my ptera to the top of the rock right off the shoreline and the jellyfish start heading out to sea. I pull out my long neck (scoped) and I pick off all 4, in 4 shots (I know, I was surprised too lol)

live game footage (lol):

Anywho, lol, that made me build a big Dino pen and no new tames other than a trike. I built a warehouse/base (all stone) and have just been crafting my life away. Lol

Edited by MaverickAU
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

So, I've been contending with this server admin over the mating timers since day 1, pretty much. New new friend has been chatting with me and brought up the idea of moving servers. I'm open to the idea if I could just find one with the mods and multis I like. The big one for me is flyer mods are a deal breaker, full stop. The flyer nerf was how long ago now and we have griffins and rock drakes and manas and cryopods and tek everywhere, there is 0 need to continue to abuse a massively outdated mechanic. Anyway, he left to go check out a server while I bred my newly grown base bloodline pair. Bred them, 2 day mating cooldown. Popped the egg, male spino.

I got him to juvenile and logged because honestly this is ridiculous. What's the point of playing on an unofficial if you're still going to get bottlenecked by official rates? It's so incredibly frustrating.

Took a bit of a breather and eventually logged back in...to single player. I wiped all of my data, updated my mods and started fresh. Yes, I have a backup save of my Island map so I didn't lose anything irreplaceable and I'll always have the memories and screenshots anyway.

The Island, single player

Spawned at Cragg's Island, that hilly area toward the front. I don't care how many times I do this, I really do enjoy the beginning bit, the initial struggle to survive and the sheer unpredictability of early game. Plus, when you first stake your territory and go full Harvest Moon on the rocks and trees and plants, just clearing it all out. I built on the second hill to start, with 2 dodos when one couldn't fit everything.

An early raptor kill netted me a pike, which was great.

Grinding metal on normal rocks kind of sucks, but I have rates up enough that it's not tear your hair out aggravating.

Made my crossbow and immediately tamed a trike. Super low level but it doesn't matter, his only purpose is berry and thatch farming.

Got ambushed by a sarco, took it down for some levels and prime meat.

Went after a ptera to take advantage of said prime, unfortunately the choices were all low levels. Found a nice 135 but it happened to be near an alpha raptor. No thanks. Took the next highest level, a mere 25. Killed a couple turtles for keratin, made the saddle. Then a slow, dangerous flight to the redwood mountain to collect a small amount of crystal and metal. Success.

Left for the afternoon to hang out with a friend.

Came back, melted the ingots down. Tamed a seagull mostly on a whim.

And through the entire day I was building. One thing I've never built but always wanted to try is one of those huge, sprawling, ridiculously intricate bases with all those crazy things like stables for individual animals and whatnot. My builds are big but not sprawling like that and usually lack a lot of detail work. I'm the type of person who can build a castle but the interior would look like a warehouse, you know? All business. So this time around I'm taking my time to assemble things as I need them and to build all of the interconnected elements together. So it will be a bit haphazard and slapdash and unique to the events of this playthrough.

Here's what I've built so far, it's been awhile since I shared any screenshots:

newspbase20190609214732_1.thumb.jpg.3b0ea8d12dd74dd9e506b48c2a22c6c1.jpg

Obviously still very much in progress. That huge stairway down to the beach is for my raft, I do have one built and it's only slightly out of the frame. So I still need to build the actual pier at the bottom.

The gazebo started out as a temporary hut for the dodos, they're still in there pooping out eggs. Need a proper home for them since that's more of a travel area now. Plan to move the crop plots a bit but first I need more space for the compost bin. Wherever the dodos end up, I'll probably build a kitchen and move the bin to that area. It won't be too far, I want it near the crops. They are indeed empty but I always place them early so they can fill with water by the time I'm ready to plant.

Also need to design a better workspace area and material storage.

And of course none of my animals or myself really have any dedicated areas to stay. I was going to make a perch where the icthyornis is now but then I decided to do that giant staircase down instead. The most important thing is space for the ptera since it can't defend itself or anything. The trike is pretty weak too and should be protected when not out farming, so he could use a stable.

If you're wondering why I'm building in wood, this area isn't all that dangerous for one. And for two, this is not my main base. Since I can build wherever I want I decided to set up here near the obelisk for easy transfers and relative safety. This is essentially the starter base that I will probably abandon or use as an outpost once I've got some better tames.

All in all, much happier to be back in control of my Ark experience again. The one thing I don't like about single player is the lack of community, but maybe I can find people to chat with on Discord while playing, who knows.

• Like 5

p44akyN.jpg

So sorry the picture resembles something from an old potato of a phone. I took a screenshot with Xbox but somehow can't locate it. So took one with my huwaii p20 and it looks terrible.

Started moving into my cliffside build spent hours relocating resources into them. Haven't moved any tames yet. 3 week of hard work and it's not all done yet.

Feels nice having almost completed a huge project.

Big question is there a construction limit? 

Stuck on what else I can do I'm thinking of a tree top city. 

• Like 3

Was over visiting a new tribe member today. He's new to our server, but has a lot of experience in the game (2500+ hrs). Anyways, the one area he's still not that experienced with is the stat breeding and breeding for mutations. Since I'm on the search for good Rex stats to work into my line, I took a look at his three recently tamed Rex's. I did a double take as I noticed a natural 47 roll on one of his Rex's melee damage. 47 !!!! With his permission I brought my male Rex over for a little Rex on Rex action, and got an egg. First egg hatched gave me a male with the 47 levels on melee damage... that's more than 400% at hatch! Now just to weed out the crap stats and transfer that 47 to my breeding line. 

Edited by DeHammer
  • Like 1

Ill be honest, I have been slacking... just lost interest this last couple of weeks. 

I have logged on to Center, bred for eggs, left some out incubating and forgot to pick them up. Ive nipped on to trade for some people to help them along and then run a few meat runs.

Other than that... nothing. I need a fresh plan :(

On 6/9/2019 at 1:10 AM, Chudz66 said:

I'll check those spots out, thanks.

I can't remember which board, but I read that the flowers didn't work on Quetzs, so I've never tried them. If they've worked for you, I'll definitely start with that. 

I tried rare flower on a Quetz this weekend. It did NOT react. and I was all up in his grill with the flower scent.

Edited by Aushegun
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Aushegun said:

I tried rare flower on a Quetz this weekend. It did NOT react. and I was all up in his grill with the flower scent.

Thanks for testing it out. I would have over the weekend, but I was grumpy as far as Quetzs go and didn't feel like messing with them. Instead, I finally went after some Rex eggers for kibble.

I land on Carno Isle, set up my trap, and then go scouting. Not a single Rex in sight! Oh, I just bet the Quetzs airlifted them off the island just to mess with me. Grr! Anyway, I start clearing one side of the isle. It takes a while, but a level 24 male finally pops in. So Murphy, my ptera, and I fly over and bonk him on the head to get his attention. He focuses on us and gets a few nips in on the way back to the trap, but it works like a charm. Raw Prime stacks on this server, and I have at least fifty by now, so he tames up quick. I use a soul sphere to make him portable then reset the trap and head out again.

Now I need a couple of low level female Rexes. I see one almost right away, a level seven, and . . . she's killed and eaten by a horde of small dinos, swirling around her ankles, before I get much closer. This repeats again with a level 20ish one. Hmm, time to clear things out, so we get to work. After that, Murphy and I head back to the trap to rest up and wait out the descending night.

The sun creeps over the horizon, and we set out on another scouting mission. I'm thinking that we need a female Rex that's a little higher level, so she can fend things off until we can lead her off. That's when I see a level 203 female Rex (Max Dino level is 210). Oh yeah!

She tames without incident, aside from her losing interest in us on the way to the trap like a bazillion times. I left after that and added a Rex enclosure at base and am anxiously awaiting eggs. Next time, I might head back for some more Rex eggers, or there was talk about a turtle race around Carno Isle. So maybe I'll go looking for a thoroughbred turtle.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Aushegun said:

I just spent 45 minutes writing my long recap, and it is gone.  too tired to rewrite

Uhhmm... i think the same thing happened to me.... i spent my lunch break typing out my story (even as a reply to this very post) and after hitting submit it went back to the thread as if i posted....but nothing?

That's why I always copy long posts before I post them, if you take too long to write them the forum tends to kind of refresh and lost things.

Anyway, I have to admit I was pretty excited to hop on today. Didn't really do anything super exciting though, mainly a lot of trial and error as I worked on my base build. A lot of reshuffling, crafting and harvesting. The farthest I went was a brief sojourn across the river on the ptera. Otherwise I was entirely at base. This is what I ended up with:

spbase20190610215038_1.thumb.jpg.2bfd9dce1054b5673d23eda4823d1309.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Cymas said:

That's why I always copy long posts before I post them, if you take too long to write them the forum tends to kind of refresh and lost things.

Anyway, I have to admit I was pretty excited to hop on today. Didn't really do anything super exciting though, mainly a lot of trial and error as I worked on my base build. A lot of reshuffling, crafting and harvesting. The farthest I went was a brief sojourn across the river on the ptera. Otherwise I was entirely at base. This is what I ended up with:

Did you jump and parachute for the picture? Dedication

PS4 - Unofficial - Ragnarok Grinder E server

Server was offline when I got home last night, so I choose a random unofficial server and joined. Well the entrance message said must join Dischord to play on the server. I'm thinking what, well I will just play for a bit and get off.

Sure enough about 1.5 hours later, and admit in chat says "hey you new person, (me) you need to join Dischord to be on this server."

So I logged off. screw that.

Thankfully my server was back online, and I logged in. I am building a rex army for the boss battle, and over the weekend tamed a level 420 female (Mary Jane) and a Level 405 male to start the army. The max level is 450, and the male actually has much better melee damage than the female. 

Anyways, last night I am helping a friend tame a event yellow Griffin, when I hear a roar, and a black level 420 female starts coming at us. Luckily, I had gates already in  my hot bar, and proceeded to trap and tame it up. Spark powder and gun powder are mega expensive to craft on this server, so I use tranq arrows until the very end. But with a high quality crossbow, she got pretty bloody. Cryopod her and take her back to base.

I then did a crystal run and gathered up 37k in crystal, which along with 3k black pearls crafts me about 200 element. so that will keep the the geny and forcefield running for a couple more days.

I then bred the rexes until I got about 6 eggs and hatched 2. I will hatch a couple more tonight.

Edited by Aushegun
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Cymas said:

That lighting is stunning. I see you left uncut trees.. I have one near our base my husband keeps threatening to chop but he hasn't and it makes it look nice having trees. Build is looking good ?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SnowboundGem said:

That lighting is stunning. I see you left uncut trees.. I have one near our base my husband keeps threatening to chop but he hasn't and it makes it look nice having trees. Build is looking good ?

My last base, I intentionally did not cut down any trees on the island my was on.  I would travel to other islands to gather wood.  I like having trees (plus PvE) so no need to worry about not seeing enemies attack.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

My last base, I intentionally did not cut down any trees on the island my was on.  I would travel to other islands to gather wood.  I like having trees (plus PvE) so no need to worry about not seeing enemies attack.

We just play on sp Xbox. I like to keep the environment natural he likes everything flat and bare. Can't wait to see your progress I'm currently building cliffside because I never have before. But itching to do a tree top city.

Where have you chosen island?

Aberration, Singleplayer, PS4

Finally decided it was time to acquire a reaper, so I crafted a bunch of stone foundations and dino gates with the intent of permanently trapping one of I crossed a high level.  Set out on my rock drake Blue Dragon.  First reaper queen found is a level 10.  I figure I would kill it to promote more spawns.  The fight took much longer and more of my drake’s health than I would have liked, so when the next two I encountered were a level 15 and 20, I simply ran away.  Then met a level 90.  I thought, hey this is probably good enough for a first reaper.  I get her trapped in 4 dino gates and bite away at her health.  Checked her health periodically with the handy magnifying glass (first time I ever crafted or carried one of those).  She gets below 5% Health, so I turn off the light, see the red glow, hop off with my Journeyman shield in hand, and slowly approach.  She does nothing - no bite, no tail spin, no roar, nothing.  She just stands there like a big shadow with eyes.  I pull out my sword (because walking up to a large beast and wracking it point blank never ends poorly, right?).  Sure enough it makes her mad and she tail spins me away.  I then realize the red glow is gone.  Jump back on my drake and find that health has ticked back up.  I did this at least 5 more times until I was halfway through durability on my 2nd shield and broke a set of hazard gear.  I then tried getting her as low on health as possible and... I killed her ?

went back to base to fix stuff and grabbed my best rock drake Ironfist (Blue Dragon was my 2nd best and down to ~15% Health).  Back in red zone I bypass 3 low level queens, and encounter a level 50.  I settle and go for it.  This one, though, is too squirrely and I fail to trap her.  We played ring around the dino gates for a while trying to get her stuck on them - instead she hops atop some red gem nodes and gets stuck.  That works.  I apparently learned from my prior failure as it only took me 2 tries until I was grabbed.

Some xp later I birth a 125 baby reaper king.  He is a wild little thing with a face only a mother could love - must take after her.  

While he is growing up I will hang around base to finish raising and leveling my Megalosaurus army in preparation for Rockwell.

Edited by WizardNuuk
Correct Auto-correct.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1