So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Day 2: Foundations

So, it turns out my stacking mod is working, I forgot it won't apply retroactively. So add StackMeMore 1.4 to my mod list. I also removed the weight multi I increased since it's no longer necessary.

First thing I did upon logging in was make some bolas and do a sweep for that pelagornis. Unfortunately it seems to have flown out to sea while I was occupied with other things and is nowhere to be found. That's ok, I'm sure I'll find another one soon enough. It would have been extremely convenient is all, given that I have a beached meg in my harbor. It's not dead, it just can't move. Easy pickings for piscavore feed. No point trying to tame it really. She'll just hang out and look pretty until I need to turn her into fish food, I suppose. Of course she's event colors too.

Almost all of my time today was basically a game of Harvest Moon. You know when you first inherit the farm and you have to go around breaking boulders and clearing tree stumps? That was me pretty much. I didn't make nearly as much progress as I would have liked but then, it is quite a large area. I basically built a border all around the inner sanctum of the island, for the lack of a better term. All the way down to the water on each side. I also cleared the whole area out.

Little known use for parasaurs, they make great arborists. Their hitbox is so narrow you can easily remove just the plants you want without accidentally knocking down a particular tree you want to keep. Sadly my effort was wasted when I accidentally hit a bronto's tail while chopping rocks. It didn't kill me or anything, but it annihilated the tree I wanted to keep. Jerk. TBH I did use admin commands to delete him and his friend, life's too short to deal with brontoquakes when trying to build.

I also tamed 2 more tek paras. The one I scouted yesterday, and a new cooler looking one that popped up after I cleared out a huge herd of stegos for hide.

Set up my crop plots, not really enough fertilizer and I'll probably need 2 rain storms for full irrigation, but at least that's off the list for now.

Tons of levels from all the crafting, so much for progression. I got around 25 levels total, high enough to get me into metal tier and electricity when I don't even have a roof over my head yet. I'm debating doing an open base layout though, with only a small enclosed room for myself. I like to run high fort anyway so it won't matter pretty soon.

I know it's only day 2, but I'm already getting bottlenecked by my need for advanced materials in order to progress. But I really have to focus on the base build before I really do anything else. This isn't going to be hugely elaborate or just plain huge like the Arkanus used to be, but I refuse to make sloppy builds. I'm also incapable of small bases lol.

It all depends on what I feel like doing tomorrow. I could also build the raft and/or go hunt for a pelagornis. I could just grab a ptera but I don't want to, I want to try something new (to me). I'm stubborn like that. I could also try my luck on the coastal bary spawn over by weathertop, would be an easy tame. I could also break down and just go for an argent to make it easy for utility animal collecting. So many coulds and what ifs. The curse of a sandbox game, sometimes there's too many choices.

I didnt log on yesterday and wont get to forums over the weekend but this evenings plans are Tek Raptor... tame tame tame until I get one I want to keep. I will be on the look out for the elusive Albino Ptera.

Metal farming and feeding will also be on the agenda.

Other than that... artifact runs and maybe a few underwater expeditions :)

Wife and I have returned to this game recently and have decided to make an outpost near green ob to store some of our "less used" dino's. I left her to make materials while I roamed around hunting for black and red dino's to tame. 

Found a black and red Griffin, level 95... Crap. Almost tamed him anyway, cause of how badass he looked but decided against it. Roaming the desert, I discovered a 130 purple and black Giga. I thought about it for a minute (usually won't tame anything under 135) and decided to head back to base to make a trap.

Get back to base and notice an extra Rex in the group. Solid black and pretty sweet looking. Call out to R (my wife) and ask her about it. She said he wandered around the perimeter wall for awhile and she thought he looked pretty so she tamed him. I was very proud of her for tackling a Rex by herself. Also, Nihlus (new Rex) has great stats, so he will be added to my boss Rex group. 

Told R about the black and purple Giga and she helped me craft up a metal trap. Was getting late so we logged for the night.

• Like 1

Got a two part episode, I promise no cliff hangers lol.

Day 3: Mine!? Mine.

So, I decided although the logical thing to do would be to work on building, I really wanted a pelagornis. I'm not entirely an idiot though; first I moved basically everything valuable into storage boxes on the beach. If another whale fish attacked, I wouldn't lose anything overly painful. Did keep the refining forge on and running though, gotta melt that metal.

Anyway. I set off and of course it didn't take long before I spotted plenty of pelas. I picked one that was conveniently already walking around, one bola and 2 tranqs later it was out. Unfortunately it was also a low level. Once it stood up and I put the saddle on, I was quick to realize that like pteras, they just don't have a lot of stamina. They have higher base stam, but at low levels it doesn't make much of a difference. So I continued on and tamed a second, slightly higher level pela.

Then I went for a long flight cruising around. Pelas are quite fun actually, I love the water landing feature. Plus they are boss at killing piranhas. Definitely a great utility tame for someone who spends a ton of time around water. I also flew up to harvest a small amount of crystal and made my first super spyglass. Love it. So I scouted around the rivers mainly. Very happy to see so many spinos and barys out and about. Can't wait to start taming them.

But, patience. I'm not ready yet.

I was also scouting for a female pego to go with my male. Need the eggs for taming high level pelas.

As you might guess by the title, I also tamed my first icthyornis ever. You know, I never realized how big they actually are until I saw one up close. They are comically large on a survivor's shoulder. I think I probably will tame at least one high level to make breeding easier. I hate taming these things, and I hate running into them wild, but tamed they are perfect for my needs.

That took up basically all of my evening, so I sailed home with my new small flock. The other reason I tamed 2 pelas is my personal rule about animals that fly or swim: always have 2 of each in case you lose one. Many a panicked rescue mission has been salvaged by simply having multiple animals that can travel the same way.

Day 4: Advancing

After my field trip, my adventuring spirit was calmed for a bit and I quickly got to work. Since herb island is safe, and there's no one else around to worry about, I built an entirely open crafting platform. Pretty simple, bordered by railings. With S+ and its integrated inventory system I don't have to pull tames up next to the working area, so I kept it relatively small.

I also got my crops started, as the large plots finally filled up enough.

The most exciting part was advancing enough to build a fabricator and a generator. We've got power! And can now craft anything I could possibly want to make.

But obviously I've still got some work to do before I can truly advance in tech. Namely, the severe lack of utility tames is now going to be an issue. I cleared the raft and built a small taming pen on it. I just have to add a few amenities and I'll be ready for my next immediate target: an argent. I know I have the pelas, but it's impossible to ignore the pick up ability for taming. Especially since the bird can now pick up the animals I need the most right now: a decent bary and a doed.

That's today's goal. An argent, a doed, and two barys, basically in that order. And possibly a mammoth, although transporting it will be problematic. Oh and maybe a deer too...

Yeah, I'm going to be taming a lot today. I honestly love the hunt more than anything.

I should probably make some saddles first.

• Like 1

Xbox - Single Player - The Island

Started of by marking out the final dimensions for my buildings out of thatch foundations. Was tricky to get it right, the island doesnt really lend itself to nice large flat areas like Ragnarok. Eventually worked out the loactions for my main building, stables and breeding barn.

Decided it was time to go hunt for an anky. On my way to the nearest anky spawn, I remebered about the event coloured thyla I spotted ages ago, a nice blue level 55, would be good later on for breeding into higher level thyas. So I scooped her up and managed to get it to my taming raft without it murdering my argy. Knocked it out and tamed it up. Went back on the anky hunt. Ended up at herb island, and after a bit of a search I found a level 125 so I tamed it up and got it back to base.

Started the resource gathering back at base to start building. Took the liberty of spawning in a set of stone blueprints and a few wooden blueprints so I could mass produce things like stone walls and foundations in a smity (would love a vault but havent got one yet), saved so much time. Got the stone foundations down for all three buildings and finished the main build and stables. Probably wont do the breeding barn quiet yet. I think the next project is to make a metal outpost on obsidian mountain and then a snow iceberg outpost for oil. Then at somepoint I need to make a start on water tames for silica pearls and for that I might make a water pen at herb island.

Edited by AngrySaltire
  • Like 1

Weekends, the boon and curse of Ark.

Day 5: The Circle of Ark

Having set myself up handily with supplies and a new taming raft, I decided it was time to go pick up some utility tames, and my first dedicated combat mount. Off I went with just my seagull in search of an argent, all the way back to carno point. I specifically chose that area because there's a spot away from the fighting where dodos spawn, and I know the gull can get prime meat from them.

Unfortunately the only bird there worth taking hit a dimo. I wrote it off immediately and went after the prettiest of the remaining birds, because why not. They're all gonna suck might as well get something I can breed later. Got a gorgeous, golden feathered male successfully taming. Didn't bother with prime, he was only level 10 anyway.

Got the saddle on and immediately left the area, parking on the weathertop side of the river around the back of Cragg's Island. So many glorious spino spawns up and I refuse to block any of them. There are so many in spots I've never even seen before because of those spawns being blocked on every server I've ever played on. And this is from someone with 4k+ hours who maintained an active list of spawn points long before anyone thought to map them on the wiki. There is nothing as beautiful as spino river being actually full of spinos. And barys

My goal was not a bary but rather a doed. I had seen an event one by black beach that I wanted. Unfortunately it had been attacked and was balled up, so I went scouting around instead. And this is where the game gets frustrating, not from any sort of challenge but rather just plain cheap crap. I had to take a phone call and landed on a high, high ridge on the side of the volcano. There was absolutely nothing around. I got up for about 30 seconds to check something. Came back to see I had been killed by a 174 (!?) Tek raptor that had come literally from nowhere and pounced me right off the bird. Really game?

I got back to the area just in time for the argent's death message to pop up. Wrote off the seagull entirely, it wasn't worth searching for.

Luckily I had already planned to go have coffee with a friend from my previous job, so that gave me time to calm down and collect myself.

Back to carno point for another argent. Misfortune turned to luck as I spotted a level 50 argent with more than a passing resembling to a phoenix. I tamed him successfully, he even happened to have the same golden feathers on the trailing edge of his wings. There was also a low level doed in the area, as soon as the bird was up I put him to use and got the doed. Then on the way home I tamed a pair of dilos for eggs.

I returned home triumphant and offloaded my finds, then right back out again to get a bary. I almost managed to carry a level 95 all the way back to the raft but a rex ate it and I ended up with a 35 instead. But he is pretty neat in his own right, purple with blue spines and an orange underbelly. He'll make good color breeding stock later. If he lives that long.

Got a new icthyornis too, killed about half a dozen before I thought to switch to a regular bow. What I really need is a gun and tranq darts. I also really need to build a bigger taming pen and get my first spino, I'm tired of being dragged off my mounts by raptors all the time. I don't really have the build for that kind of damage.

I also took the bary on a long walk around the edge of the redwoods to eat deer and collect pelt. Got enough to make 3/5 of a set of fur, so I can use my good pela to farm organic polymer to make a set of ghillie. That was about the end of my day.

Today's plan: I haven't quite decided yet. I've already chosen where to build my breeding base, so now I'm debating if I want to even keep this outpost on herb island. It really is quite far out of the way. On the other hand it would be a great sea pen but again, so far out of the way. I still need a deer, and a female seagull for breeding. I'd rather breed a few in case I lose one than have to keep taming the stupid things. I could try to recover the one I lost by the volcano if it's still alive, it was a female. I think at this point a spino or a rex would be the most beneficial. I might just go for a rex, then start setting up the second/main base. I'd just rather be taming, you know? Building gets stressful for me because I get so hung up on design/details. I have never once built a boring box or behemoth gate base. Just not my style.

• Like 2

Finally, this weekend I got the feeling of loving ARK again. Its been a while, I have come back from a 4 month rest but was still struggling to get into the game.

This new feeling had nothing to do with the charity event and x 2, x4, x6 and x8 rates - even thought the metal runs had me in stitches as I kept encumbering myself until tribemate came online and could carry me with the 3k weight Argy we have. So much metal that all our Industrial Forges were full and were pretty much consistently smelting.

So, we gathered enough metal for some tek replicators, clone chamber facility, to redo the old Spino building into a metal building purely for breeding and cloning. We gathered, crystal, obsidian and stored it all before I thought out loud, shall we go and get some black pearls? Tribemate was like hell yeah, lets take the Basis. They arent amazing bred or imprinted but both are around lvl 280 with 25k health, 450 melee and as a pair can look after themselves. Ill cut a long story shorter... we got roughly 500 pearls in our two runs. now the first run...

Came across a 135 Alpha Mosa, panicked and swam to surface as both were on half health from previous encounters. As we surfaced just off red woods, we realised we werent actually that deep so we healed up and headed back down to see what the damage would be like. Tribemate tanked and we took out the A Mosa without too much worry - helped that the A Mosa got stuck in a rockface for a bit of the time. Think we both lost about 15k hp so headed back and unloaded. 

Run two...

Got some more pearls and this time we came across an A Tuso but it was only a lvl 20. Still, thoughts were this would be hard, and a normal Mosa 95 also came and attacked us. The A Tuso went down quick, really suprised by that  as was expecting it to be tankier. Still, got our first A Mosa and A Tuso kills in the same day. Cant wait to breed and imprint on a new Basi as we ahve some with some great stats and the imprinted bonus to speed would be lovely.

Overall, a good weekend and managed to get 2 of our Boss rexes raised within a day too with 80% imprinting.

• Like 2

When I got home I realised there was still 2hrs left on the 4x rates so decided to stock up on more metal.

My 5 yr old daughter likes the colourings of our heavily mutated Anky so she decided she wanted to go 'Smash rocks' (those were her words). She got the hang of moving direction with the mouse so I just left her to smash rocks and gain me some metal. When she complained it wouldnt move anymore I emptied the stone and off she went again. After dropping the metal off each time into the Indy forge - she had amassed about 5k ingots for me - is that what people call slave labour?

Other than that, still capped so had an early night.

• Haha 2

PS4 - Ragnarok - Nitrado Server

I haven't been playing much the last 2 weeks. Mostly Prim Plus on The Center, but I did spend a few hours on Rag. and I ended up taming 3-4 event colored Griffins, all but one was 135 or higher. Of course the best colored one was only level 95, but I couldn't resist.

Also tamed a couple of high level Tek Raptors, to add to my breeding pool.  I'm going to bred up a ton of them and go on rampages across the country side.

I FINALLY found a Tek Quetz, and it was the most amazing mix of Black, Blue and Silver. Gorgeous!  and of course, it was only level 10!  ??  So I left it for now, as I might tame it later, but I proceeded to kill all of the other regular Q's I came across.

Stumbled upon a event Purple and black Rex, level 140, so tamed it up using a griffin.

The Ravager breeding pens have not been kicking out any new color mutations for weeks.  I had been holding out for a pink mutation or a Albino mutation.  No such luck, so I turned off wander on most of the females, as I might just stop trying for those colors.

I took Ghost Pepper (fire Wyvern) out to look for some Wyvern eggs, and found a few, but nothing about level 150. I grabbed them anyways, and added them to my fridges. I now must have over 50 eggs level 150 or higher. Plus about 50 of low level eggs, that I use for leveling up dinos or taming. Or when I'm bored, I just eat one myself, and pretend it was a fabulous feast from Fogo de Chao.

I am not surprised to see that the PS4 Extinction was delayed, so I will not be missing anything while out in the woods using vacation the next couple days.

• Like 3

Extinction - Modded Single-Player: Let’s Do This!

So, here begins a new adventure, and boy did it ever kick off in style. I woke into Extinction filled with excitement, and immediately set about my well-trodden routine of scrambling my initial tools, and learning what new horrors hate me.

Or, at least, that’s what I would’ve done but SNATCH!! Welcome to Extinction, the (insert expletives) klepto seagulls are a thing. BAM. Instant rage. I. Hate. Those. God. D*mn. Things!!!

I was honestly amazed the freaking seagulls were the most malevolent things in the area, and began to wander, marveling at the beauty of the spawn region, and the fact enforcers don’t hate you. I picked off some turtles for keratin  and dodos for hide and I meandered onward, looking for a good spot to build my Outpost, murdering along the way for levels, until I emerged into an absolutely gorgeous garden with a man-made lake with bridges across it, and my mind was made up. I’d never been more in love with an Outpost spot.

I set about that silly responsibility thing, and I was so enamored with my build site I elected to build a larger Outpost than I usually invest in. A single foundation held a forge, smithy and mortar to work while I put everything else together, until I had my fully-outfitted Outpost, with only a few horrible, seagully setbacks to delay me.

I scrounged up a rifle and a handful of tranqs, invested my chitin and keratin into an argent saddle and a snow owl saddle, I spawned a GPS so I’d be able to find my way home, and I was ready to see what there was to see!

I had tactically shuttled a good number of points into movement speed, because my somewhat less than strategic plan was to chart a course northbound toward where I hoped there’d be snow, to which end I’d farmed up the deer for pelt for fur armor. Because if I found snow I’d find eagles, and snow ought to also mean snow owls.

And so, with the safety net of the personal grave, I bravely (stupidly) sprinted forth, out of the dome...and wow does everything hate you out there! But points in movement speed and melee were negotiating the situation until I paused on a ridge to survey the area, getting a spyglass on the gasbags looking for a high level one to call my own when CHOMP. And my life was over.

I generally pride myself on being aware of my surroundings in Ark, but unfortunately I’d happened upon a graduate of some ninja’s academy for deadly dinos, a corrupted giga VERY close to the dome that just came out of nowhere. I seriously have no clue where this thing came from.

And so grumbling to myself I patched my shattered armor and reset, and I found a 112 gasbag right as I was leaving the dome. I had to argue with some corrupted dinos for the right to bring him in, but I tamed him successfully, used the dino pickup mod to sprint him home since I lacked the resources to saddle him, and took off once more, successfully reaching the snow dome, and a perfect 120 eagle that was a serious sight for sore eyes.

But...I had company. I’m undecided on if she was wanted or unwanted company, but whereas it took weeks to find the Dragons and Enhanced Creatures mod working on Aberration, there was a 136 water wyvern a stone’s throw away from my tame in progress.

And in the end, for fear of her munching my eagle and because I can’t be trusted to say no to a dragon ever, I walked the few yards into agro range and dropped her too. I was in pretty bad shape for the fight, but I’d kept my lovely water wyvern from obliterating the tame efficiency of my eagle, and I got them both up without additional interruptions. Dino pickup for the wyvern and flew the eagle home.

And it seems it was fate I built an oversized Outpost because it allows (sort of) enough space to keep her indoors. I was still smelting the metal I’d need to saddle her, so I headed back out with the eagle to pursue operation snow owl.

Said snow owl was also easier to find than he had any business being, and I dropped him after picking off a few dire wolves and his weaker friend.

And so I called it mission accomplished on day one, and I have many things with wings to aid my exploration of the gorgeous new map...outside the munching range of those pesky corrupted stealth-gigas.

• Like 3

Its been a few months but Im back. Took a break because we were getting a little bored but extinction got us hooked again. So as a recap I play on my own private cluster with my wife and 2 brothers. Before extinction it was The Island, Aberration, and Scorched. Now we swapped Scorched for Extinction. Rates are 7.5 difficulty (max wild of 225), 7.5 taming, and 3x gathering.

So my wife and I transfered over to Extinction with our lvl 98 characters. We decided to set up our starter base just out side the city right under the obelisk. Its actually a good place to start. Its up on a plateu with only 1 small path up. Theres several beaver dam spawns so we have all the paste and wood we need early on. Theres a few metal, crystal, green gem and even obsidian nodes around. Probably not a long term place but its nice for now. The defense units do a good job of killing hostile dinos too.

So we only have about 3 hours into it now and we've been taking ot slow. So far we have a small 3x2 stone building and metal tools and weapons. This morning we tamed a moose and a low lvl raptor.

Its actually been quite uneventful till this morning when 3 raptors decided to pay us a visit. I was out gathering metal and stone when I heard them coming so I took off to our base. Managed to make it inside the walls before them. So i grab some arrows and quickly take out a low lvl one. The last 2 kind of seperate so i hop down and bola one of them and start killing it with my sword. Not 2 wacks in and his buddy shows up and pins me and I get killed. So I respawn, grab my stuff, bola again and get eaten again, lol. Finally 1 runs away so I bola and kill the other. Then run after the 3rd and tranq and tame it.

So our immediate plans are to get a stock pile of narcotics and tranqs so we can start taming gathering and pack mule dinos. We dont really plan on expanding this base because we plan on moving as soon as we can fend for ourselves, lol

• Like 3

I think its only right that I post the 3500th post on this thread.

So basically, I finally downloaded extinction - 4hrs to download 18gb and install it - wow! It worked but nearly all servers were 70/70 so I just started up a SP game and started to explore. I was amazed by the lack of threatening dinos, they all except for the ants and flies left me alone. The odd dilo came after me but I outran them. Saw a pool of water and was in need of a drink - jumped straight into a gator - cheers. Funny though as he took no notice of me and carried on after a metal looking drone thing - fine by me, carried on exploring whilst picking up anything I could for experience. Started heading over to Red obby which looks like an Scortched Earth biome - could be fun that. It was quite a way off, saw some Scorpion when looking over a ledge. 

After 20 mins of looking around and coming to peace with my surroundings, I decided enough was enough, I had given myself a preview of where i want to be on an Official server... I jumped!

It was a long way down, and to there my life ended. Logged off and went looking for an Official to start on. 

Not found a server yet but that is tonights plan. Im liking what I am seeing though and fairly stable FPS too.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jabnlab said:

Its been a few months but Im back. Took a break because we were getting a little bored but extinction got us hooked again. So as a recap I play on my own private cluster with my wife and 2 brothers. Before extinction it was The Island, Aberration, and Scorched. Now we swapped Scorched for Extinction. Rates are 7.5 difficulty (max wild of 225), 7.5 taming, and 3x gathering.

So my wife and I transfered over to Extinction with our lvl 98 characters. We decided to set up our starter base just out side the city right under the obelisk. Its actually a good place to start. Its up on a plateu with only 1 small path up. Theres several beaver dam spawns so we have all the paste and wood we need early on. Theres a few metal, crystal, green gem and even obsidian nodes around. Probably not a long term place but its nice for now. The defense units do a good job of killing hostile dinos too.

So we only have about 3 hours into it now and we've been taking ot slow. So far we have a small 3x2 stone building and metal tools and weapons. This morning we tamed a moose and a low lvl raptor.

Its actually been quite uneventful till this morning when 3 raptors decided to pay us a visit. I was out gathering metal and stone when I heard them coming so I took off to our base. Managed to make it inside the walls before them. So i grab some arrows and quickly take out a low lvl one. The last 2 kind of seperate so i hop down and bola one of them and start killing it with my sword. Not 2 wacks in and his buddy shows up and pins me and I get killed. So I respawn, grab my stuff, bola again and get eaten again, lol. Finally 1 runs away so I bola and kill the other. Then run after the 3rd and tranq and tame it.

So our immediate plans are to get a stock pile of narcotics and tranqs so we can start taming gathering and pack mule dinos. We dont really plan on expanding this base because we plan on moving as soon as we can fend for ourselves, lol

Hey man :) Glad to see you around here again. I also have taken a few months off and havent logged in my server so ive probably lost everythijg to spoil :P Had a few nice rock drake eggs in my fridge but id assume theyrr gone now

Undecided whether im going to pay a visit back to Ark when extinction drops for xbox.. im pretty hooked back into my old pc game (and I mean old.. Tibia 20 years old now..) without a pc capable of even dreaming of running Ark im stuck with my good ole faithful og xbox one.

Maybe @AngrySaltire has plans for extinction? Going in fresh or transfer? I should plan my stuff now if I do decide to jump in

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Hey man :) Glad to see you around here again. I also have taken a few months off and havent logged in my server so ive probably lost everythijg to spoil :P Had a few nice rock drake eggs in my fridge but id assume theyrr gone now

Undecided whether im going to pay a visit back to Ark when extinction drops for xbox.. im pretty hooked back into my old pc game (and I mean old.. Tibia 20 years old now..) without a pc capable of even dreaming of running Ark im stuck with my good ole faithful og xbox one.

Maybe @AngrySaltire has plans for extinction? Going in fresh or transfer? I should plan my stuff now if I do decide to jump in

If you ever need rock drake eggs just let me know ;) Been a while since I was on the server (burned out a bit) but I do trench runs for fun so would so wont mind jumping back on for the giggles. 

Havent decided yet. Probably going to jump on fresh to get the full DLC experience, with intensions of transfer of stuff later on.

• Thanks 1