So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Xbox - Nitrado Unofficial Server - Ragnarok 

Much to my surprise I managed to get on Ark tonight, xbox downloaded the update quickly must have been a small patch size and so I tore myself off Forza and hopped on Ark. I continued with breeding various things. Stockpiled a fridge and a bit of abberant megalosaur eggs in preparation for a mass hatch for muts. Bred up a few shinehorns for use on Ragnarok from the breeders I moved across from Aberration and also bred up the next generation of glowtails. Going to have to breed another gen to get the neon green markings onto the main breeders though to mix with the good charge capacity and black bodies. Maybe even get an individual with the blue body colour from one of the wild tamed mixed in for some variation.

Also built a small outhouse next to my main build to accommodate all these shoulder pets I seem to have accumulated. Its good to finally get some organisation with them, I had them dumped everywhere.

Edited by AngrySaltire

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 2:46 PM, AngrySaltire said:

Xbox - Nitrado Unofficial Server - Aberration and Ragnarok 

Did a bit of megalo and glowtail breeding today. Trying to get some health or even melee mutations onto my aberant megalosaurus for a potential boss run at some point. Hatched up a bunch but had difficulty culling the rejects. Transfered beeding operations across to Ragnarok for access to a lightning wyvern. Hatched up more megalos and didnt get a single mutation tll the last egg. Wasnt a useful mutation so I culled it despite the cool colour. Kept a few females to help breeding. Hatched up some glowtails and lucked out with a charge capacity mutation on the first egg. 

Hah I went through a lot of asc pikes killing my megalo babes :P Looking good man! Havent had any time lately so no updates from me. 

Im glad you're carrying on with ascension, msg me on here if/when you're going to do it and i can (probably)hop on and help be another shotgun

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Hah I went through a lot of asc pikes killing my megalo babes :P Looking good man! Havent had any time lately so no updates from me. 

Im glad you're carrying on with ascension, msg me on here if/when you're going to do it and i can (probably)hop on and help be another shotgun

Yeah my poor pikes, takes forever to kill them too lol. Lightning wyvern all the way lol. Hopefully see you on soon :)

Sure thing, I'll let you know if I go for it. :)I am attempting to continue with ascension anyway. Probably going to run out of time before Extinction hits. Just need to get one more artifact and thats that sorted. Need to get a good drake saddle bp from the surface. Still alot of prep needs to be done lol.

• Like 1

I logged in, realised we were not tame capped for the first time in a week. Set over 100 eggs on the floor and started getting timers down.

Harvested some metal and then went and checked on my ReaperKings that tribemate had collected. Took a nice 4k screenshot and checked its stats... 26k hp with 389 MD, not half bad :)

Returned in game, sorted through eggs which were no longer required and kept the newest best stat eggs ready for event (if not tame capped by then).

Will probably log in later, tame as many dodos as possible and have 25+ ready for a culling session when I need to be able to hatch an egg over the event :)

• Like 1

Updated our unofficial servers - Ragnarok upgraded without any issues, Valhalla was corrupted and a new map started from Day 0!  It was bound to happen eventually so reverted that server back to The Center now until Extinction lands, closed ARK and continued learning about making my own map.

I can now understand why there are so many incomplete maps out there now. Sooo much to learn and you can very easily get bogged down in the detail and forget to return back to the basics.

I started off wanting to do a simple UK landmass based map but couldn't get height-map imports working as nicely as I would like so decided to start with a fresh map, Island sized and manually sculpt the terrain.  Again I quickly got bogged down in the detail and was spending a lot of time trying to get my terrain levels correct.  Turns out it's not all that important as most map makers simply make up the vertical features and paths and such using place-able rocks instead of relying on the terrain itself.

As I was now moving over and using rocks/boulders to build up the terrain features I had a vision and some idea on how I now wanted to make this map - which was more aberration style, multiple vertical levels but not all underground like Aberration with one or more "floating island" style places using the Tek Ruins from Aberration but extending and adding to the models to refresh them, remove the rust and grime and make things new and shiny again....

... so I need to learn about making my own models - a little Googlin and I decide that Blender is probably going to need to be learned too so commence download and installation of that and watch more hours of video on using Blender to create models and learn about UV unwrapping/mapping and such to colour my models.

Ok - well hangon, if I can make my own building models how difficult would it be to learn how to make my own creatures.. maybe my own end-game boss battle for my new map.  Commence learning about bones and rigging animations in Blender. 

So I have a basic insect styled model, rigged with bones and start to wonder how I would code up some AI for it.  A few hours later I have downloaded the full unreal engine as the options in the videos I watched were unavailable in the ARK Dev kit version.  It's currently "hovering" rather than walking but have a basic "follow me" event graph blueprint hooked up and my model is now following my player character in the Unreal Engine sample.  Very basic but a start to learning how to make the AI character move based on player movement.

Back to the map at the weekend, still lots more to learn about modelling and making animations work so that my new boss build starter model walks along the landscape instead of gliding/floating behind me.  Gonna need to learn animations properly to do sequence scenes and such, would love to make a proper boss with different phases during the battle.  Extending the idea of the Overseer and Rockwell bosses instead of your typical Tank and Spank mini-bosses of ARK.

You know what's gonna happen though.. Extinction will hit and take ALL of my spare time until we complete it.. then the DEV kit will be updated to include Extinction content and my ideas and thoughts on my own map design change again.

• Like 1

Xbox - Nitrado Unofficial Server - Ragnarok 

Continued with the Abberant creature breeding on Ragnarok. Transferred some nameless venom across from Aberration and hatched up some Rock drake eggs, a 185, one of the many 175s I have and a 170, for my Ragnarok character. Raised and fully imprinted them. Now all I need are some saddles.

Hatched up nearly 2 fridges worth of Abberant megalosaurs. Got about 5 or 6 mutations but no health or melee muts so I culled the lot. Thats alot of experience for me and my lightning wyvern, and my poor tribe log lol. Started to stock pile up the next batch of megalo eggs for another night.

Hatched up the next gen of my glowtails. Finally got all the right colours on to the final breeding pair, jet black with green and neon green markings with the charge capacity mutation. Culled the previous generation. Now all I want is maybe to get a spare male glowtail with the blue body colour from my other wild tamed one onto the black and green just for some colour variation, then I'll be finished with the glowtail breeding.

• Like 2

Unofficial ragnarok 

Pretty lame night , well in ark at least spent most of it with the gf lol. Went megalo hunting came up short guess I been lucky lately . Saw a gorgeous green rex at 224 I figured if I starved homie a bit then bombed him with the kibble I have I can 90% tame this dude . But for some odd reason he decided as soon as the torpor got close he wanted to go for a swim , I got frustrated with trynna chase him back on shore and shot him in the butt with a tranq , too bad cause that put him to sleep , big homie sank like a rock ....rough 

• Sad 1

Unofficial ragnarok-

Went rex hunting on the ice wyvern , didnt see too too much at first , a couple really nice event colours but levels were poop. Found myself just being a tourist again lol

Found a burgundy f rex at 224 , she took some work but I got her , kibble and primes tamed her at 92% making her 321 with a stat boost in melee . Home girls name is queen piru cause she a g lol

And was playing around with the starve timer on a pteranadon and I didnt realize that I was doin things the hard way all along jeez 

• Like 1

ps4 - ragnarok - unofficial

Bred the gigas again; trying to get another melee mutation (currently sitting at 250 melee and can breed 6 eggs at a time). Thinking of going to aberration to get some ravagers to start breeding because I feel like an awesome pack will help me start extinction; plus I'm going to have to get around to banging Rockwell out at some point.

9 hours ago, Ninjasharrk said:

Word? I thought I was safe from them on a wyvern ?

1 hour ago, Floffy said:

The reason was probably because I had landed on the ground. ?

Nah even mid air on a wyvern, thylas will still take you. I have even been flying along the border of redwood thinking I was far enough from the edge and they still snipe me off a wyvern. Pretty sure they'll take you off most mounts flying or not lol.

Edited by AngrySaltire

1 hour ago, AngrySaltire said:

Nah even mid air on a wyvern, thylas will still take you. I have even been flying along the border of redwood thinking I was far enough from the edge and they still snipe me off a wyvern. Pretty sure they'll take you off most mounts flying or not lol.

Oh damn, thanks for the heads up then, I’ll be even more careful flying around that area :D

3 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

And I thought I was basically invincible on those guys lol probb cause I didnt see much on the island, 

Unofficial ragnarok-

This server is f'n great like legit , the admins have been away for a few weeks and gave us all a quetz as a present that was like unheard of for my official ways lol, and I got a fire wyvern egg!

Decided to try and find a bear cause i love bears but they're a pain to tame and yes I know use a pen, but is that as fun? a green one at 240 gave me the slip oh well but I stumbled across wyvern cave..poison wyverns are jerks and alphas at lvl 150 seem terrible 

After I found a egg and decided I wanted to hatch it, the admin showed me how to use the community wyvern trap ...legit right? Copped some wyvern milk and I'm literally raising them as I type 

• Like 3

PS4 - Single Player - The Center Primative Plus

So I started a new character on Wednesday, as well as doing it in the Prim Plus mod. Used default settings. Wow, what a grind, but by bed time, I had tamed up 2 trikes a parasaur, a Iguanadon (it got stuck it between my trikes, so it was an easy no brainer tame.) and a handful of dodos for eggs.  I also tamed a flying Pego bird, but when I took him out to hunt for fish, he took off and disappeared out of render over the water.  With no boat yet, I could do nothing but watch him leave.

Built a small thatch then upgraded to wood base. and have been gathering resources. Last night I took the Trikes and the Iguandon out to gather iron/carbon and crystal, so I could make a spyglass and upgrade to Iron tools. Things went great for the first couple hours, but then I heard a noise and turned around to see a Rex appear out of nowhere. MY three dinos put up a good fight, but since the Iguandon didn't have a saddle (I'm not high enough level yet) he went pretty quickly.  The trikes fought valiently, but they died too. Then the Rex took a chomp at me, and it knocked me off the cliff edge, and I fell to my death. :(

I spawned back at camp and took the parasaur back over in hopes of recovering my gear.  Luckily the Rex was distracted by raptors, and I got my body bag items. I then grabbed as much stuff off one of the Trikes and headed back to camp. I returned 4 more times to get all of the other stuff left in the trike and iguandon bags.

Then I spent the rest of the night at camp making iron axe, pick and crossbow. Three times we were attacked by raptors at the base, and the parasaur and I were able to fend them off. I quite honestly am shocked by how many raptors the Parasaur killed himself. 

I searched for oil in the water, but could not find any nodes, in the spots I checked, even though wiki says there are nodes there.

I need to tame up some more trikes and Iguanadon again, there is one stuck in some trees near the base, so I'll go after it tonight.  I also need to tame a couple sharks so I can look for oil better. (not sure what level the saddle is at though)

Kind of a fun change up to the game, but default rates are soooooo grindy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aushegun said:

I searched for oil in the water, but could not find any nodes, in the spots I checked, even though wiki says there are nodes there.

The Center has a massive underground world in and of itself so if you couldn't see the oil nodes on the ocean of the normal map it's likely they are in that underground system.

2 hours ago, MirageUK said:

The Center has a massive underground world in and of itself so if you couldn't see the oil nodes on the ocean of the normal map it's likely they are in that underground system.

Thanks .... Since I don't have any water dinos yet, I was only venturing just a bit off shore, as it was too risky to swim any farther without any protection or scuba.

The Wiki showed a few oil nodes in the bay of the Tropical Island South on the far east side of the map. (This is the island I spawned on, and am currently based on)

But after venturing into that bay 3-4 times, I've yet to see an Oil node.  I have not swum all the way across it, due to sharks. But I have explored the bay from many sides with no luck.

Once I get a shark, I'll be able to explore much better and I'm sure I'll find some.