So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Ok, as OP, I feel I shouldnt use this as a moan thread but it is part of my experience since two weeks ago so I feel I can tell it as my 'What did I get up to today' post.

2 weeks ago, I logged in on a Saturday morning (perhaps Sunday) and played for an hr. I logged off, went out and came but to find that something had updated (possibly Windows 10, possibly ARK). 

I went to load ARK but Steam said I had to install it - now that really confused me. Restarted PC, went to load ARk - wasnt there. Tried accessing via the library - wasnt there.

I reinstalled to another drive incase my current drive was corrupt. Game crashed constantly - couldnt even get on my official server. Hmm.

Verified game cache, installed back to original drive, still crashing to desktop, lots of random never seen before errors. 

All week I tried various things. I play with a fairly high end PC, i7, 16gb Corsair Dominator RAM, Asus Sabretooth mark S Mobo, R9 295x2 GFX card and for over 1000 hrs have been playing at 2560x1440 at a mix of high/epic settings running at 50fps.

I hadnt changed any settings, resinstalled windows drivers and tried ARK in many guises and different servers... still no lukc. Submitted a support ticket - still unanswered.

Finally, a trade partner from my server popped up on Steam asking why she hadnt seen me on and I explained my issues. She told me that ARK had updated their hardware on their servers so I should lower all my settings and try that.

This seemed non-logical to me, why would this upgrading the hardware of their servers cause me loading issues? I had run out of ideas so I gave it a try.

Now my pc is setup for 4k and rarely do I drop down to 1440... now I was at 1080. it looked awful but I was in. It stayed stable... but it was ugly.

So I have researched that ARK wasnt supporting dual GPU/Crossfire/SLi but until their recent hardware update, I could run at 1440, apparently I cannot anymore. Well done WC - it might be worth doing some testing next time before assuming your changes wont affect a number of players. 

Needless to say, I have logged on about 4 hrs in the last 2 weeks... fed some dinos but have lost that 'wanting' to get online and play.

Maybe this weekend I will get on for a session and have some great story to say... sorry for this rant but it might help others with issues recently. 

Edited by Anarki
  • Sad 1

So this was my short weekend and I decided to only focus on raises that could be completed in a little over 2 day time frame as I had family plans on one of my days off and would be absent for the game for the entirety of the day. Life loves to alter your plans though and this ended up being a longer than normal weekend and I could of raised that new Rex egg if I had known that. I fell sick so ended up missing some work time and canceling the family outing. Only sleeping a few hours at a shot, I definitely would of had enough time to raise.

Oh well. Still got some stuff raised, tamed, and built. 

I finished the flyer barn.

5a7c436b04631_Flyerbarn.thumb.jpg.68b9b78e85a8dc621c219ca0800ab9c3.jpg

There is still some cosmetic stuff to do and I have added a landing platform in the middle section with a stairwell that connects to the natural pathway so far. This area doubles as our water pen too (located on opposite side of cliff). I am considering building a top section or even just engulfing this area and moving our main base down here. There's an oil pump here that is currently owned by an ally so we could switch a pump with him. Maybe if we can go full tek I'll consider that more. 

Tames:

I decided to reboot the Argy line. With the TLC coming up I want the best Argy's on the market and the first step is to get a fresh set. I tamed quite a few this weekend and hit some high points in the process. 

Tamed a male with 38 points in hp pre-tame, finished with 50 points or 4015 HP. Very excited about that.

Tamed a male with 45 points or 760 weight. This equals what we currently have but it is on a non mute now. 

Tamed a male with 1220 stamina. I rolled the dice on this one hoping for a bump but did not get it. This is slightly lower than our current high but is again on a non mute. It may not matter as the mute who has this only has one mutation and also has our 408 melee. she is a raise. The part I was hoping to get out is her Xmas colors. I want to try for natural mutations. Still, I'm more of a stat oriented guy so I'll use the best stats regardless. 

Tamed two females that had decent stats but none of the highs. They are breeders as we we try to combine these stats into a mating pair with the cleanest lineage possible. I'll keep knocking out Argy's as I see them and built a public Argy trap too. I am focused heavily on getting a monster weight stat. Lots of tranq darts will be used in this quest. 

I knocked out several Saber's, Thyla's, a couple of Thorny's, a Yuty and a couple of Rex's too. Nothing to add to our lines though. 

I did tame a 145 female Direwolf. RNG got me there as she had 31 points in melee pre-tame and finished with 36 points after, despite a perfect tame. She now has the exact same hp and stamina and has 1 point lower melee than our male dire wolf. I don't know why I am pulling my focus from sabers. I'll probably try to move them and the xmas wolf I tamed. 

Raises:

Nothing new and exciting, low key raises for trades mostly. I cooked down several eggs though and will continue to do so. I was cooking down a 185 poison egg. Decided we needed another weight Wyvern and happened upon this when I was in the crystal cave looking for an alpha someone had spotted in there. So I was cooking it down and the timer was at 7 seconds and I was waiting for it to get to 1 because I'm not sure if or when there is a Valentines day event but I can almost guarantee we will approach tame cap when it happens. Anyway I want my eggs to be prepared and this thing hatches at 7 seconds left. So now I'm raising a Poison Wyvern. I hope it survives. If it doesn't I'm not overly concerned and can just buy an adult one unleveled. My tribe mate does not do milk runs and I wouldn't ask him too. He said he'd be on a good portion of the day today so I told him if anyone offers up free milk he can grab it and force feed the Wyvern. I'll go home at lunch and if it is still alive I'll get it some milk then. 2900 food when I logged off at 5 AM this morning. Go to lunch around 12 so as long as it doesn't take me long to find a female it should be alright. 

My tribe mate did do some glow pets though. We have taken to calling the new area in the desert where he raises these the shoulder mount dojo.  High level bulbdogs and shinehorns. He's starting to get the breeding fever. He has another bunch going right now. We have about 6 to kill off too. We don't want to flood the market with average one's so we'll wait until we get them how we want them to trade them. 

Trades:

I did quite a few so hard to keep track of them all but;

Tamed a 150 Rex for a guy who only plays part time so can't really breed or spend time taming. I had knocked it out to check stats anyway so he gave me 2k ings for it. I also traded the 150 Argy tame I held on to from last week to him for some CP and he gave me a 175 lightning egg I'll raise for him this weekend. Good trading partner here. 

Traded the extra Quetzal from the new stat line for an ascendant fishing rod and a 90 armor MC Theri saddle. About equal value in my eyes and the guy considered it a deal from his perspective. He only focus' on farming and boss fights (so Rex, Theri, Megatherium's) as well as running caves. Same guy I got our Rex saddle BP from. Always a pleasure to deal with him. I'm raising him a Doedic this weekend too. 

Traded a Saber on our island server and set up a customer for the future. It's a fairly big tribe (12 members) so they all want a top notch Saber to run the island caves with. I'll breed them those over the next couple of weeks. It ends up being a good deal as it's our Saber stat line (2250 hp, 980 stam, 387 melee) and has a MC saber saddle from a 69 armor blueprint made with my island crafting character (currently 400% crafting but will eventually get to 800%) included. It meanwhile gets me poly, ings, and crystal to use for our Rex saddles and other BP's that I can craft with the crafting character and then take the items to Rag. 

I did some other smaller trades for kibbles and what not too.

So it ended up being a low key weekend. I got to get out and farm the desert drops, do some mat grinding, and do my favorite thing in taming and hunting. 

On the docket;

Add to the flyer barn, more tames, start the Argy raise program, hopefully more trades, and finally run the caves we keep getting distracted from doing. The biggest raise I see this weekend, barring a breeding event, is the new Rex egg. 12.5k hp, 449 melee. Hopefully it pops male and I can start mass breeding not only for proper boss Rex's but maybe our own stat mutations. I may also pop some Theri eggs too. 

If there is a breeding event, I'll probably raise some more Yuty's and Quetzal's and trade the adults since they go for more than the eggs. 

See ya next week. 

• Like 1

Last night I managed to get a ceiling on the 2nd floor (living space) of community house and started working on the 3rd floor - our little greenhouse.

17 x 8 foundations

4 rows (4 x 8) contain medium plots for each of the crops – 8 plots per crop.

Remaining (13 x 8) have 4 small plots to one foundation – 416 small plots for berries.

Probably have a row divided for each of the normal berries (8 plots per berry) then a row for stimberries (32 plots) and rest for narcoberries (352 plots).

greenhouse.jpg

At one point whilst our re-gathering more wood to grind down to thatch Hep suddenly dropped connection - a few minutes pass before he returns with an unexpected but highly comical reason for his departure.  "Sorry, lost internet as Cat decided to try and sleep on router!" - that alone made my day.

Hep noted from the tribe logs that our best wild tamed Anky had been killed - but it was safe in our cliff edge base in the NW surface entrance cave?!?!?  Map data is downloaded and scraped and we find that the other Anky that was with her is now at 50/50 on the map!!  It would seem the game decided to teleport them 2 from NW surface cave to 50/50 - and as this is under the skeleton by the drake pit one of them had already been killed.  Guessing part of the previous patch/fix.

Managed to download a backup, restore to single player, find the Ankys - teleport them to an obelisk, upload and download back to our server.

Edited by MirageUK

9 minutes ago, MirageUK said:

Last night I managed to get a ceiling on the 2nd floor (living space) of community house and started working on the 3rd floor - our little greenhouse.

17 x 8 foundations

4 rows (4 x 8) contain medium plots for each of the crops – 8 plots per crop.

Remaining (13 x 8) have 4 small plots to one foundation – 416 small plots for berries.

Probably have a row divided for each of the normal berries (8 plots per berry) then a row for stimberries (32 plots) and rest for narcoberries (352 plots).

greenhouse.jpg

At one point whilst our re-gathering more wood to grind down to thatch Hep suddenly dropped connection - a few minutes pass before he returns with an unexpected but highly comical reason for his departure.  "Sorry, lost internet as Cat decided to try and sleep on router!" - that alone made my day.

Hep noted from the tribe logs that our best wild tamed Anky had been killed - but it was safe in our cliff edge base in the NW surface entrance cave?!?!?  Map data is downloaded and scraped and we find that the other Anky that was with her is now at 50/50 on the map!!  It would seem the game decided to teleport them 2 from NW surface cave to 50/50 - and as this is under the skeleton by the drake pit one of them had already been killed.  Guessing part of the previous patch/fix.

Managed to download a backup, restore to single player, find the Ankys - teleport them to an obelisk, upload and download back to our server.

Yay, finished it! Im gonna start playing singleplayer, so I guess I will have updates on that. :P 

Went for a flight on a poison wyvern, found a giga stomping around in the woods and attempted to fight it. Quickly lost health and almost died. Decided to try and use breath attack while hovering, less than successful so landed on a large stone outcropping to regain stamina. Jumped off wyvern and shot all my ammo at giga then flew back to base to get more ammo. Landed back on the same rock and shot a few more times before realizing that the giga was not moving. It was stuck between a rock and some ruins, so i jumped off the rock and ran up behind the giga, pulled out my sword and began to chop away. After stopping to rest a half dozen times, finally chopped the big sucker's foot off killing it. Back to the base to finish healing the wyvern. Noticed a large red glow in the woods near the base and went out to investigate on the wyvern. Yep, it was an alpha rex. After a running/flying fight, I managed to lead the alpha down a hill to the beach away from the base. Wyvern is almost dead, so i fly back to base and switch out to an ice wyvern. The ice wyvern also nearly dies because of its relatively low level. Land down the beach from the alpha rex and it begins to tear up all the other dinos on the beach. It must have been attacking a small dino because it was just standing there broadside chomping the air, so i pulled out my fabricated pistol and emptied 13 clips of ammo into it while standing on the back of the ice wyvern. Halfway through the 14th clip the alpha goes down and now its head is mounted on my wall. Decided that was enough excitement, so went back to smashing rocks and picking berries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Finally logged on for more than 5 minutes - and played without crashing for over 3hrs. 

Tribemate was already raising a Rex, so i decided on a Thyla - only a 228 but better than my other one. Had eggs running the timers down to 10 second but got distracted by my daughter falling over - returned to find my 2 Boss Rex eggs hatched :( I knew I couldnt keep them both and typically one had the 12.1k hp and th 461 melee - attempting to keep that going as well as the Rex and Thyla - will log in, in 5hrs - hopefully to find them all alive.

Have all the artifacts now - went to SE and ran the cave with a dimporph as couldnt get any other dino in there. Was in Riot/Falk gear nad 200% pump action shotgun. Tribemate and I sailed through and are now ready for manticore gamma. Tribemate and I will make a decision this week as to which boss we should attempt - got decent Rexes with   a mix of 50 and 70 armour saddles - got the weapons, armour and artifacts... looking forward to trying something new on our own without going with a ally who has downed the boss over and over again.

Oh, and I started my Ptera line again as I wanted to clear the  mutations down - my 312 ptera now has one totally clean side and with any luck by the end of the week woll be clean on the other side too and can start breeding all over again.

• Like 1

Tried unsuccessfully for several hours to tame a karkinos. Killed about 6 of them. Finally, all my tribe mates who were on gave up. I decided to try a level 40 by myself. Managed to get it down and tame it! With a little help from my cousin/tribemate. Biggest thing I've ever tamed. Done passive tames, pter, and ravager. Until today!

Changing the colours back on my rexes and being bothered by the lessening of colour grading on the new (improved, especially the "waddle" when walking xD ) rex model. Some colours I've "brought" with me for two and a half years, feel ruined now.

This is the same non-mutated rex, pre- and post-patch:
Qw1SXXX.jpg

Edited by TotallyUncool
  • Thanks 1

We started upgrading my house and made plans for the second floor, we also tamed a pair of trikes and got terrorized by sea gulls. We started exploring the other way and knocked out a level 16 spino. It tamed out to 20 somthing, I know it’s not high by hey, it’s a spino. We  also found a 108 barynoyx and decided to tame it, and it tamed out to around 150 also not much considering the wild max on my ark is 300. Later today we plan to find explorer notes until I can make a saddle for our baryonyx (we named him onion.)

17 minutes ago, Gogohorse said:

We started upgrading my house and made plans for the second floor, we also tamed a pair of trikes and got terrorized by sea gulls. We started exploring the other way and knocked out a level 16 spino. It tamed out to 20 somthing, I know it’s not high by hey, it’s a spino. We  also found a 108 barynoyx and decided to tame it, and it tamed out to around 150 also not much considering the wild max on my ark is 300. Later today we plan to find explorer notes until I can make a saddle for our baryonyx (we named him onion.)

Onion xD 

Was it because of his colors?