So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Its been an interesting week. We easily defeated the Gamma Dragon and attempted the Gamma Tek Cave - the cave itself was easy, the Overseer we just lost as we almost killed the Dragon stage.

Last night there was only 2 of us on so we decided to throw some of our lower breed REXes and some of the wild tames into the easy monkey - we needed more trophies to do Gamma TEK again and also a cleanup of our older, lesser REXes.

As per usual when going in with the expectation of losing some to re-stock with better levels the low level REXES absolutely spanked the Gamma Monkey - no losses, barely any HP drain on any of them so we ran it back to back 3 times... still no losses.  So we got a few element and 3 new trophies towards more TEK cave attempts.

As there are only 2 of us that will be available over the holiday periods I decided to rent another server to give Aberration a go this weekend with him.

Today in ark, I updated the servers of mine to the latest version, and then installed a fan on the back of the power supply to make it stop spinning the fan up high about every 10 minutes for 20 seconds. Then went off to work. Yeah that silverstone 1000W psu, keeps the fan off, and then puts the fan on full power to cool down, then back off again. Kinda noisy.

In-game, I wish. lol... Would be great to spend some more time playing the game.

LAst night was my second nigh playing Aberration. I play single player, and was enjoying it, but with the Pick Axe breaking so quickly, I could hardly get anywhere, before getting stranded. Even with multiple sets of Axes.  Having no flyers really sucks.

Thus far, I am torn. Aberration seems so much harder than any other map, and it is by far the hardest map to get around in. I've never seen so many piranhas and sarcos at once.

And those damn Ravagers.... I've died more in 2 days, than in the previous 6 months.

I'm not sure what my next step is.  I love flyers, as they allow me the chance to get a view of the landscape.  With nothing that flies, I am kind of stuck grinding out armor and weapons until I can tame high level Spinos and Ravagers.  Not really looking forward to it.  I still can't find any oil, so no Fabricator ...... Going to be tough going. I hope it gets easier.

Today in Ark: I gave into temptation.

I’ve had a great time with Aberration so far. It’s a completely new way to challenge myself as a player, since I always use fliers for everything, learning to manage on ground level has been a royal pain, but in a way I find enjoyable.

I love the new animals. I have yet to lay eyes on a creature I didn’t want, which leads me to how Aberration broke my heart - the only thing about the map I hate.

On my first day, I learned I’d set up by a cave that had surface access, and it was far too enticing to not climb my way up to check things out. And I saw them - mid-size dragon like creatures...I wasted no time at all grabbing my long neck and unloading into the two that were there. A dozen odd darts and lots of frantic sprinting later, something seemed up, and I grabbed my super spyglass...to realize these creatures didn’t take torpor, but clearly couldn’t be passive tamed either. So I skuttled back below and grabbed my phone, because by god I wasn’t leaving without the little dragons.

They were seekers, I learned...and they weren’t tameable. It broke my heart.

I haven’t stopped coveting these weird little dragons, and as I was battling through the trench today hunting high level featherlights, my spyglass landed on a level 112 seeker...the first 100+ I’d seen.

It was too tempting. I wanted him.

So...I quickly hit playersonly, wandered up to him, and one forcetame later he was mine. Teleported him out of there, led him inside, and named him Cthulhu.

I realize that at a certain point I do not care about Ark’s rules. I play single player, so those high level seekers are mine if I say they’re mine, gosh darn it.

I regret nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So....

I originally had plans to go explore the blue biome with my girlfriend and our new ravagers......

Ark however decided otherwise....

In the morning I had to update the server for new patches. As usual I destroy all wild dinos. Nothing special right? WELL......

Turns out Ark decided to spawn an alpha crab at our Base wiping out most of our ravagers we wanted to use for exploring.... 

So we decided to rebreed them. No big deal....

Then we finally started to clear around the Base a bit only to see us getting attacked and several ravagers plus our stage jump down.......whistling gone wrong...

So we go down on the zip line to try and recover them losing our gear and ravagers in the process.....

Breeding again....

Several hours later we finally set off to the exploration of the blue biome. Until we ran too far and somehow triggered blue poison spores to kill us. Using our remaining ravagers to go back for our original one. Only to lose it all due bugged ziplines....

Stay classy Ark 

Edited by Olivar
  • Sad 1

I wanted to farm some chitin but I went to carno I cave instead. Killed some scorpions around the island first. Saber is extremely weak though! 135 kibble tamed and a journeyman saddle and gets shred by onycs at cave. Never taking her again. Got stuck as I was getting out of the cave in between a gap. Had to jump off and somehow didn’t fall. Then, some more onycs appeared and started attacking her (just 2) so I panicked and whistled aggressive... boy, she jumped all the way down. I couldn’t risk my fur blueprints I had just gotten. So I went back to base to get my thyla, she managed to survive. I was getting chitin to complete my green house but ended up not having enough crystal so I ended up leaving it as is. But tamed an oviraptor though. One man tribe problems...

• Haha 1

I couldn’t post yesterday but here it is:

We has decided to restart after the basilisk melted us and we spawned at the river leading down the canyon again without j...again.So we decided that we would just build a temporary house rather than explore for now and we wiped all the dinos from before (i have skipped a fair bit of playing but it was mostly the same as the first post dying to ravagers).J came on after we started making a foundation he made two wooden foundations then went. I made a water pipe up the cliff because the water drain is crazily fast but as I was making it O was throwing glowsticks everywhere I ran from some ravagers into the water and  O threw a glow stick after me the ravagers suddenly turned back and I celebrated until I turned behind me to see a massive crab leaping out the water towards me! I managed to swim away whilst O ,not seeing what was going on, managed to stick a glow stick to himself and the crab took immediate aggro on him we didn’t know why until O threw another glow stick at the path to our base and it followed it. So we knew that crabs follow glow sticks so throw one in the ocean and it will follow it right? Wrong because of O,s glowstick trail up to our foundations it was getting up to our base so I did the brave thing and ran under the crab and speared it’s belly and ran into the ocean with the crab following, I swam to the drop off to the deep part of the lake the crab close behind but disaster struck and it grabbed me as it fell off the drop off and my bulbdog and I drowned never to be seen again... until I respawned but the bulbdog was lost forever.O had to go then so I didn’t have time to be upset and I pulled myself up the portable rope ladder and O logged off.

• Sad 1

We started playing on Aberration yesterday as planned. It begun a bit weirdly, with me choosing the easiest spawn area like the others, but ending up in area 4, medium difficulty... Instead of starting with new characters like we did on SE when it came out, we decided to go with our high level characters instead and the only reason for this, was that our tribeleader wanted to follow the lore/story. We had to come up with an explanation as to why we ended up on Aberration instead of SE though, and now the story is that my character tripped and slammed her forehead on the console, sending us to the wrong ARK and my character to the wrong spawn. She still has faint imprints of the keys on her forehead. It's official tribe-canon now.

In the end, all of us ended up at the same place and could form a tribe again. The first thing all of us did, was taming Bulbdogs. They're so adorably ugly! One thing that REALLY bugs me with them, is how their size changes when they are on the ground, compared to on your shoulder. It's like the next level of riding on a turtle. xD

Also, I heard my tribemates die several times to Raptors, Basilisks, once to Bees... It was quite amusing. We built a shack to call home, found metal, made a forge and then a smithy and some metal tools + weapons and, most importantly, climbing picks. These are my absolute favourite things so far and probably one of my favourite mechanics in ARK as well. I LOVE them! They're so easy and intuitive to use and they open up the map so much. The plan is to go exploring today, using these bad boys (and us probably dying horrible deaths over and over again). Me and two of my tribemates have only tamed Bulbdogs so far, but our fourth member also tamed a Dodo for some reason (a male, so only brown eggs) and a Stego.  We're going to try and tame some Ravagers today after spelunking, hopefully we'll manage to get one each.

My other favourite thing so far, from the limited area we've been in, is the map itself. Holy moly, does it look awesome! Credit to Ben & Co for creating such a gorgeous environment, I absolutely love it. The last thing that happened yesterday, was after we had logged out from the server. We were talking on Discord and both me and my friend fell quiet and just listened to the soundtrack instead of talking. We hadn't heard the completed version earlier and it was amusing that it had the same effect on both of us. xD

Some pictures of the environment:
UNR2UPe.jpg

FhjeivS.jpg

dDm9w4S.jpg

Edited by TotallyUncool
Forgot the pictures
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I logged on today looked around for 6 minutes and i dced.

after 15 minutes trying to rejoin i got it and instantly dced again. Finnaly after 25 minutes i got in the game! Yay!! So i made some dodo kibble and went to look for a 150 pter. Im on official xbox center so lots of high  lvl birds. Once i knocked one down i went back to base to get spiked walls. And boom dced again. After about 25 minutes of trying to join every button i pressed took me 5 seconds later for the reaction.

so i went offline and went to fix my car which is less stressfull.

• Sad 1

Been a while since I updated. We were getting bored on our Ragnarok map so we decided to take a break till Aberration came out. 

So my wife and I started on our own private Aberration server earlier this week with fresh characters. After a few hours of dieing and trying to find a decent spawn we finally got a small base established near the fertile river. Today we got lucky with 90% day/10% night. We started off building a small 2x2 thatch shack with a fence around and lots of storage. Our evental plan is to build a more permanent base on a cliff side, but till we reached the required level, we spent most of the morning just gathering to prepare for it. It was actually a really quiet day, only ran into a lone raveger that we bolaed and killed and also tamed a lvl 112 raptor and 3 bulb dogs.

We ended up with over 2k stone (all done by hand with stone picks...i miss metal tools and gathering dinos, lol) and 100 metal or so but used most of our wood/thatch for building walls and storage and we reached lvl 18 or so. So our plan later tonight is more gathering and a little bit of taming as we inch closer to climbing picks and cliff platforms. Over all not a bad day

Edited by Jabnlab
  • Like 1

Searched for low level Titanboas to tame (only want them for eggs) of course lowest I found was 100. I abandoned the search and hatched a level 175 Poison Wyvern. Decent stats so I'll keep her.

Went to the scar and found a 185 Lightning Wyvern egg, stole it and ran like hell back to base to refrigerate and hatch another day. 

• Like 1

Another interesting day in Aberration yesterday. We decided to go exploring a bit, as all three of us had gliding suits now (our fourth member couldn't play together with us). Firstly, we decided to check out the cave, came across the first Seeker and saw a couple of Ravagers and immediately turned back. We felt too unprepared, but we'll go in again with better weapons and armour.

After that, we decided to jump down to the blue-glowing part that's pretty close to our base (we don't know what's it called yet) and that almost ended in a disaster. On the way down, my Bulbdog ran out of charge and all of a sudden, three Nameless popped out of the ground (I only saw one, but apparently there were three). I completely panicked and tried to jump away from them, forgot I had the glider on and accidentally pressed 'space' twice, got even more panic when I realized I was gliding away from safety, my tribemates, everything, so I pressed 'space' again and tried to get a hold with the climbing picks on the cliff face, but it didn't work for some reason (maybe I was going too fast?), so I plunged to my death. I died a second time when trying to get my stuff because the climbing pick broke and I had forgotten to put another one in my hotbar... Aberration teaches you harsh lessons, that's for sure. Thanks to my tribemates, I got my stuff and my little (varying in size :P) Bulbdog back.

We decided that we were not brave enough for going to the glowing place and decided to stick to the lit parts instead. It was great fun trying to learn how to use the gliding suits (still struggling with mine and I will derp more times) and then we got attacked by Ravagers and all of us jumped off the cliff we were on and landed in different places. xD We tried to find each other for some time, before giving up and trying to make our way back to base individually instead. We felt quite hopeless and then it turned out that I had landed a short jogging distance from the base, and same with my friend (we were laughing quite hard at this). Our tribeleader was thoroughly lost though and tried to make his way back for quite some time, until my friend told him to look at the map. It turned out he had landed pretty close to me, but walked off in the other direction. We're so good at adventuring!

Aside from our mishaps/adventures, we enlarged the base and I built a fence around it. Also, we actually started the day with downing a 130-Ravager and me taming him. The reason why he became mine, is probably because I found him and I was also the one chasing after him when our tribeleader had run out of bolas and my friend had run out of tranq arrows. I got devastated when he fell down from the ramp we were on (above the cave close to us), but I climbed down after him and found him knocked out on a couple of cliffs. It was easy-peasy to tame him after that. I must say, I really like the Ravagers as tames. They're very manoeuvrable and can carry quite a lot. We also found a 135 for my friend, but we were smarter this time and built a trap and kited him into it, so that was an easier tame. The plan was to look for a high level female for our leader today, but he found one and tamed her by himself.

Next on our agenda, is to build a lift and tame an Anky and get it up that way. Oh, yes, our leader tamed a low level Doed yesterday as well, so we now have a stone harvester. We're also going to go back to the cave (we have shotguns now) and also the glowing place. We forgot to use our glowsticks yesterday... We need to get used to the new mechanics/items. xD

Oh, and as we want to experience the maps as vanilla as possible, we don't have any mods and I think the only settings we have is x2 on taming and lower baby food consumption.

Some pics:
W9SjqSS.jpg

s1oVHiX.jpg

Edited by TotallyUncool
  • Like 1

On 16/12/2017 at 12:17 PM, hollander said:

I logged on today looked around for 6 minutes and i dced.

after 15 minutes trying to rejoin i got it and instantly dced again. Finnaly after 25 minutes i got in the game! Yay!! So i made some dodo kibble and went to look for a 150 pter. Im on official xbox center so lots of high  lvl birds. Once i knocked one down i went back to base to get spiked walls. And boom dced again. After about 25 minutes of trying to join every button i pressed took me 5 seconds later for the reaction.

so i went offline and went to fix my car which is less stressfull.

Maybe the server knew you needed to fix your car 

• Haha 2

Finally starting to get a grip on Aberration. Got a tiny little shack next to Fertile lake, a little taming pen for a steady supply of disposable Ravagers (disposable cos I can't seem to get any high levels) Finally got a route mapped out for quick nipping into the Biolum for metal without too much drama, although a pesky Megalo did put a serious crimp in my day and cost me three of my best Ravagers as I tried to get back the metal I'd just gathered. I now finally have a saddle for the Roll Rat that I tamed on my first day at the lake so I'm covered for wood now. A 140 carno spawned close enough to the pen that I was able to get tamed up, and a nice 150 Doed too, so progress is being had. With these guys I can feel a bit more secure and start thinking about moving away from the lake and maybe closer to the Biolum zone.

• Like 1

Things didn't quite go as planned yesterday, as our exploring plans went out the window, sort of, since our tribeleader and his friend went exploring on their own and during the night to boot. They got lost and his friend got killed several times and much screaming happened (it was too bad me and my friend missed joining them, because it sounded like a lot of fun).

After the friend logged out, our tribeleader started making his way back (still being lost naturally) and my friend went to see if any red gems dropped during earth quake close to the glowy area (they do). Somehow, our tribeleader popped up there and with a newly tamed Shinehorn in tow. I suspected he had tamed another of the glow pets, as all of a sudden, my friend started making a lot of squeaking noises (she adores the glow pets and we will have a billion of them when she's done). He managed to get back, but instead my friend got lost as she climbed too high up when going back. She got killed by Ravagers, so she returned home at least, but she wanted to save her Bulbdog and I went with her as I had an idea where she had been. After leading her there, we found her Bulbdog perfectly safe and she could retrieve her stuff. The way back to the base took some time, as she got confused again and insisted I was going the wrong way. In the end, she followed me anyway and we got back safely home, and I kept poking her about her bad sense of direction.

After this, we started talking about taming a Roll Rat and that we needed honey to get as high effectiveness as possible. I decided to see if it was possible to steal honey, which turned out to be the case, except I got hurt pretty badly. It's time to make a ghillie suit and some bug repellent if we want to use honey, so that's next on the to-do list. 

I got extremely tired, logged out and didn't know if we would play anymore that day or if I would even be able to if I wanted. Later, I got a message from our tribeleader that he and my friend would be logging in and attempt the cave, for real this time. I joined, despite being as tired as I was, but I figured it might make me less tired playing with them. I was right actually. We had a lot of fun, getting through the cave, armed with primitive longnecks, crossbows, flak armour and a ramshackle shotgun. We got lucky with many of the mobs ending up stuck in the walls when trying to get to us (needs to be fixed), and then we spotted some weird, moving, glowing worms or something, which spooked us a lot. It turned out to be the tails of Glowtails and all three of us melted all over the place at their cuteness. Despite having four types of mushroom with me, none of them worked, so we have to collect Z-seeds and go back in. Thanks to my friend's excellent eye, spotting mobs waiting at the artifact area, we managed to get the artifact safely and then return outside. It was a blast and a great way to end the day. I stuck around and finished our new floor on the house as we were running out of storage space, then Iogged off.

Today, I'm going to be socializing with the Z-plants in the area, because we need more cute glow pets! Seriously, look at this adorable thing :Jerblove::
Aw6aPu8.jpg

• Like 2

This is more a "What we're going to be doing" post:

We've figured out where to finally obtain rockdrake eggs in Aberration.
The only problem is getting there safely, which at our current progress is simply not doable.

So we've been saving up resources, and we're going to be jumping of the edge of the bio-luminescence area, using the wingsuits to glide all the way down to the Chasm.
The goal is to find some safe spot down where we can build and outpost and slowly work on getting there with dino's so we can get eggs :D

• Like 1

Well today I wanted to play. Instead I spent a few hours doing support tickets, and poking at the backend of the server to get it working right. Seems some settings were forgotten about. Now testing a mod on one of the servers on cluster, a small one, that people can give feedback on, hopefully.

Eh, I hope I can play soon. -_-

Played about 14 hours of Aberration over the weekend.  I'm still really not loving it, as it takes FOREVER to get around.  I got so sick of getting attacked left and right, that I finally said Raptor It, and I forecetamed the next Krab that tried to eat me. Amazingly, it was a 100+ level, so it is a good one.

So I spent all of Sunday traveling around the river gorge with the Krab, but still felt like I wasn't finding anything new, other than 2 gas pockets. I just happened to have pre-made a gas collecter, so I installed that.

I then realized that the Krab makes taming things a breeze, as I pick up the Ravagers with the Krab, then I tranq it until they collapse unconcious.. So now I have 3 Ravagers, and when they trail me on the Krab, we are pretty bad ass.

But I still feel like the map is too big (I know, crazy huh?)  I have spent close to 30 hours on the new DLC already, and I haven't found any oil, haven't seen any shoulder mounts other than Bulbpugs, and I still can't find a source of Red and Blue Gem, other than the quakes or getting lucky with a Roll Rat.  But it sucks to have to kill the Roll rat everytime.  I've tried stealing the Gems and running away, but he just keeps chasing me, until I have no choice but to kill him.

I've been playing this new DLC, without using online help, but after spending all of my tranq arrows to knock out a 100+ Roll Rat, only to find out I couldn't tame it, I am getting cranky.  I may have to look for online resource maps, and find out how to tame a Roll Rat. I already built the damn saddle, so I don't want to waste those resources. Sure wish I could find a DungBeetle.

Ended up logging off Aberration last night, and logged back into Ragnarok.   God I love Argies. I kited and tamed a 150 Female, to go with my 95 male. I then got my self a 60 Trike to speed up my Narco berry collection. I used most of my tranqs on the 135 and 145 Rexs I tamed last week.

For the DLCs with flyers, I've got it all figured out.

1) bola and tame Ptera

2) build trap for Argies

3) Kite Argy with Ptera, trap and tame.

4) Use Argy to find Tapejara. Bola and tame Tapejara.

5) Use Tapejara to track and tame Quetz

6) Use Quetz to tame Doed and Anky.

7) Use Doed & Anky to gather resources to build more stone traps, then use Quetz to collect and drop Dinos into Trap. Or use Argy to kite the larger Dinos into the trap. (I always keep a Argy sitting my Quetz platform, when traveling, in case I need some firepower to fight harder/aggressive dinos.

Not sure if I will go back to Aberration, until they allow flyers to be transferred in. (At least allow it for Single Player!!!!)

Edited by Aushegun
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

Not sure if I will go back to Aberration, until they allow flyers to be transferred in. (At least allow it for Single Player!!!!)

I allowed it on my server cluster. I actually got told that flyers will destroy the feel of Aberration. However I know too well that the map is a bit big to be relying solely on gliders and such. I think I made the right move.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sphere said:

I allowed it on my server cluster. I actually got told that flyers will destroy the feel of Aberration. However I know too well that the map is a bit big to be relying solely on gliders and such. I think I made the right move.

I can understand for multiplayer leaving it without Flyers, especially PvP.  But why limit the Single Player mode?

Maybe they could introduce a dino that can't carry more than your average survivor (say 225 pounds) and cannot fight, nor carry stuff.  It's only use would be to serve as a explorer transport, to learn the map, and find out where things are. 

24 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

I can understand for multiplayer leaving it without Flyers, especially PvP.  But why limit the Single Player mode?

Maybe they could introduce a dino that can't carry more than your average survivor (say 225 pounds) and cannot fight, nor carry stuff.  It's only use would be to serve as a explorer transport, to learn the map, and find out where things are. 

I also had transferring enabled for the first few days.. Because eggs were the problem before they patched it.. No point in restricting it.. Then i held a vote when the eggs were patched and my player base unanimously voted (8/8 players low pop yes but we arent all buddies either just trying to survive) to disable incoming vanilla dinos.. Aberration is a new play style and everyone on my server thought the same way that theres a mindset "why change and learn new ways of doing things when there is the option for me to continue do what im comfortable with and used to doing." So people wanted the challenge... Though i recognise not everyones the same way... And those people should find an unofficial aberration server where importing vanillas are supported if you simply cant let go of your fliers.. (Edit) going back to your singleplayer.. You can spawn the flyingdinos in and tame them normally.. Aberration doesnt have the spawn points at all. You could also go into the gus.ini and add lines of code swapping out the aberration dinos for the flying vanilla dinos you want to tame on singleplayer.

Back to the OP.. (Im at work right now) so yesterday i practiced drake egg getting with picks gliders and hazSuits... Explored a bit more of the blue area and set up a zipline system to get easy gems for my hazsuits

Edited by Phyrist
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phyrist said:

(Edit) going back to your singleplayer.. You can spawn the flyingdinos in and tame them normally.. Aberration doesnt have the spawn points at all. You could also go into the gus.ini and add lines of code swapping out the aberration dinos for the flying vanilla dinos you want to tame on singleplayer.

I might be the dumbest person alive..... I didn't even think of spawning in a Flyer for me to tame and use.  I guess I just assumed they weren't allowed like some caves on the other DLCs, where you get forced off the flyer when you try to go in the cave.

I will spawn a flyer in tonight. Then I can explore. Thanks!

I understand people wanting the new challenge, and if I played with a group of friends, it would be fun. But since all of my friends are too busy raising their children to play video games, I have no one to play with, thus the Single Player.

Been killing Eurypterids in Viking Bay for black pearls non stop the last few days. Finally have enough to tame a max level squid, will wait on one of my brothers to help me with that.

Found a 145 Megalosaurus sleeping right outside my gate, tamed her up real quick, now all I need is a male and I can start going after Thunder Chickens :)

Resumed my search for low level Titanboas to no avail, painted my armor, cooked up some kibble, fed everyone and logged off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aushegun said:

I might be the dumbest person alive..... I didn't even think of spawning in a Flyer for me to tame and use.  I guess I just assumed they weren't allowed like some caves on the other DLCs, where you get forced off the flyer when you try to go in the cave.

I will spawn a flyer in tonight. Then I can explore. Thanks!

I understand people wanting the new challenge, and if I played with a group of friends, it would be fun. But since all of my friends are too busy raising their children to play video games, I have no one to play with, thus the Single Player.

One could give themself a challenge in life by not wearing a seat belt while driving, crashing, flying through the windscreen, and getting permanent disabilities. I wouldn't recommend it. However just like how a seat belt doesn't give guarantees, neither does a flyer. Already hearing people dying with flyers. Especially with how the map is causing game crashes.