So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Yesterday I decided to leave my bases at the Volcano (for demo) and the blue Obelisk (for building) alone and fly a little through the ARK world with my Quetz to see, what I could find. I was not specifically up to something, just a random look around for possible new base locations or new tames or whatever. On my way over the swamp I came across one Titanosaurus and I decided to try and kill it. It tried to escape but then it got stuck at one rock, so I had the possibility to hover over it with the Quetz and kill it (gave me two levels up). I looked for a safe place to land after I looted the dead Titano and found a cliff with just few Dilos on it, so nothing to fear. While I was waiting for my Quetz to regain Stamina again I had a nice look around and found another Titano. So I tried the same again, unfortunately it escaped in the Redwood Forest and I did not follow it there (I always find it quite difficult to maneuvre with a Quetz in there). So I got on with my flying exploring and on foot of the Volcano I found another Titano, so the same thing again, but also this stupid (or actually intelligent) beast decided to look for shelter in the Redwood, so I gave up und continued to the North. And guess what, when I reached Death Island, you would never guess, what I found!?....Yes, another Titano. So next try and this time I was lucky because it jumped into the water and was so closed to the surface, that I could reach it with the metal arrows shot with my compound bow. So I followed it, while it was swimming around in the water and found a safe place to land in between to regain Stamina and finally I got it. Unfortunately looting it would have meant to commit suicide in these waters with at least five Megalodons and seven jelly fishs around the body, so I left it for good and was happy about another two levels gaining.

So I headed back to our main base at the waterfalls on the West Coast and spent my new gained engram points in some saddles (Basilosaurus, Baryosaurus (or how this is called), Iguanosaurus (or so) and of course Thylacoleo) and crafted those saddles also and had a small ride on one of my Thylas to try (wow this cat can jump far). So most probably I will break my plans for not breeding anymore and will try to breed my couple of Thylas for a Baby Thyla, so I can explore with one of them and have still a pair for breeding left, I will see.

This was my yesterday's action in ARK.

17 hours ago, Oermens38 said:

Me as noob was very happy finding a carno with a rex very far away so it wouldnt kill it when taming. I shot the carno KO. Tamed the heck out of it. 5 raptors came by, tamed 4 and lost 1 due to the rex being curious what i was doing. I lured the rex away with my ptera and continued. 3 hours later i got down like 300 narcs and got 3 raptors and a carno rdy to walk home. 

Halfway a therizinosaurus ambushed us and killed my tames :'( 

I am so sorry for your loss :( . But chin up: tomorrow is another day.

So I decided to give the new Iso: Crystal Isles map a try and had it installed this morning. First glance: wauw, so beautiful and colorful, a totally new and magic world to explore. I'll try to get a small base set up this evening, and start exploring after.
(I'm on Single Player, and obviously not the Island map, hope that's ok to add my adventures here?)

Edited by tiryanabell

Last night was shorter than usual for me, as I got home late due to an accident on the highway. Always wear your seatbelt, it could save your life.

Anyway. I held off hatching any new eggs in case I got my target animals, I don't want to stay up too late imprinting them and then be tired at work. So I had to find another way to amuse myself. Fortunately P had the answer, as he logged in shortly after I did. He reported that about 2.5 hours before someone had told him there was a 145 allo running amok by The Frozen Tooth. Ironically with my breeding project coming to a tentative end I'm still interested in finding new animals, so I grabbed my gear and hopped on Saphira.

Saphira is not one of my animals, she's a tribe tame quetz with a platform saddle. I successfully designed and built a taming box with a cabin on her back with the exact vanilla structure limit. Unfortunately I don't currently have any screenshots of it, but it's basically 3 dino gates and a hatch with ramps and a tiny cabin in front. Originally it was for quetz trapping, lately M has been using it as an argent box to avoid the issues with them fleeing essentially forever once their torp gets high.

Allos are an absolute pain to tame so with P around to help me, I figured I would see if together we could lure this supposed high level allo into the box and simply tame it that way.

Naturally he hitched a ride on top of the box on the way there. I don't blame him, he still insists on using his nerf bird instead of upgrading to one of the many post-nerf argents available from M's mad breeding. It took two trips to get there; for some reason despite being a tribe tame, no one is giving this bird any of her level up points. Between that and the nerf bat she has under 4k stamina, not exactly impressing anyone with her mobility. I know part of the reason why though; A tamed it so even though it's a tribe tame, M is reluctant to spend "someone else's" points. Don't even get me started on P and quetzes, I'm still annoyed about his behavior from the last time we tamed one, and that was last year, literally. So as per usual it's up to me to do the "dirty" work of allocating a tribe tame's points. I almost never use this particular quetz so I had no idea that was an issue.

I could seriously write a book on being a tribe leader; how anyone manages the mega tribes that own multiple servers, I don't even know. Managing the 4 of us together is hard enough as it is.

So we get to the mountain and start scouting. Tons of allo packs around, but the spyglass reveals about what I expected to see. The information is either wrong or the animal despawned. We went around the whole mountain and surrounding area, out of probably 5-6 packs there wasn't a single 100+, never mind a 145. Sigh. This is why I don't rely on reports from unknown sources. Heck, I don't believe half the reports from known sources.

Not a total loss though. On the way home I came across a 150 anky, which I carried home with me. He was already bloody but luckily I had darts for once since they're absolutely required for allos. Got him down with no issues. While he was taming I decided to scout around for theris, barys, or another anky. I was halfway across the map when P announced he had a bary and was afraid to drop it in the other pen, in case it clipped through the wall and hit the anky, and could I come and KO it while he holds it? Sigh. Thanks for the heads up, man. By the time I flew back the anky was standing up anyway so I just carried him down the lower tier out of the way and let P do his thing.

The new anky has a high roll! In oxygen. Sigh. I'm not rebreeding for a single not very useful stat, but I'll keep the anky and wait until I have at least one more good stat before I work it in.

I had time so I did another scouting run and found a 140 anky, carried her home too. No good stats, tempted to keep her for colors though, she has those sweet dark red leg plates. We'll see. I did put her in the extremely large cull pile, but I might move her when I get home. Plus I get way more male ankys than females, so she might be useful as a pivot for stats. I think I may have just talked myself into keeping her. Mutations aside, I do like breeding for attractive colors, and my current max level ankys are anything but. I don't want to rely solely on the RNG roulette for a good color mutation. My original goal was to breed basically a black anky until I realized they have one color locked region that can only be changed via mutation, which is why ankys always look the same. But I might still do that and then simply breed for a mutation on the back to add some flair.

That was about the end of the night for me. I actually went to bed early anyway since I was tired after staying up late the night before taming that spino, who I might add has 2 new high rolls. I'm so exciting to breed spinos again, with mutations in I can really start getting into color morphs with them. I just really want to get a base spino with really good stats first, which is definitely not easy with such a rare spawning animal.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Scatterbrained it until I had my Megalodons killed by the Manta parade from a passing Basilosaurus...

The terror birds have not been kind to me the last couple of days. I've now managed to get pretty much all the colours I want to the highest levels I can with my unmutated stats. Now it's time to work those mutations in, plus I'm trying to avoid unnecessary doubles of any stat on the natural coloured birds to boot. I did manage to get all four mutated stats in on a pair of twins, unfortunately, they're the blue ones and thus only useful for getting a nice blue/white bird for my friend as promised. Closest I've gotten is three mutated stats on another pair of twins, male and female this time. I'm trying to breed the missing stat in on the male, as I only have a female with said stat. No luck so far.

I've gotten some more useless mutations with accompanying horrifying colours, a purple bird (not a good colour on terror birds it turned out), a bright yellow bird, a cerise belly on one, red on another and then I got this fellow that I kept:
l23a3wB.jpg
I like his colour but not together with the colour on the beak/legs. I'm going to try and get his colour and the more yellow beak/legs and see how that looks. I don't know if the terror birds can get this colour "naturally", but I've never seen one (it might not be visible in the screenshot, but the colour is quite eye catching).

I've gotten quite some mutations during this project and I've tried to keep track; out of about 150-200 eggs hatched (I'm not kidding), I've gotten a melee mutation five or six times, an hp mutation twice, stamina three, oxygen four or five, food three, and weight three or four times. The sad part? It's ALL been mutations on the base stats... I also got one female with two mutations at one time, which I've never gotten before. Unfortunately, one of them was in food, so she had to go. I'll try and get some of the mutated stats to mutate again, but first I need some birds with all mutated stats on.

4 hours ago, Cymas said:

The new anky has a high roll! In oxygen. Sigh. I'm not rebreeding for a single not very useful stat, but I'll keep the anky and wait until I have at least one more good stat before I work it in.

I had time so I did another scouting run and found a 140 anky, carried her home too. No good stats, tempted to keep her for colors though, she has those sweet dark red leg plates. We'll see. I did put her in the extremely large cull pile, but I might move her when I get home. Plus I get way more male ankys than females, so she might be useful as a pivot for stats. I think I may have just talked myself into keeping her. Mutations aside, I do like breeding for attractive colors, and my current max level ankys are anything but. I don't want to rely solely on the RNG roulette for a good color mutation. My original goal was to breed basically a black anky until I realized they have one color locked region that can only be changed via mutation, which is why ankys always look the same. But I might still do that and then simply breed for a mutation on the back to add some flair.

You seem to suffer from the same male curse as I do whenever I breed my ankys. I get way more males with the stats I want than females, which can get quite frustrating after the third male triplets you have to kill only because they were male. :(

Oh, and it's quite fun to read that you're trying with colours on them too. They don't have many nice colours, but some look better than others. I'm personally trying to create a white anky (I already have the white mutation from previous breeding) with whine red stripes, leg plates and spike tips, then the same with the more tan colour. I have all the colours (I kept one pretty useless anky only for his wine red leg plates), but not on the same anky... It's going to take forever though.

Two days and I've done very little.  Sleep pattern is screwed, which saps my will to play as well as to live in general.  Should get better though, I think it's bottomed out.  This has affected my judgment though, as you will see.

Dead tired, fire up the game.  I don't feel like doing anything, but I've gotta do something.  Haven't went looking for deep sea crates.  Lets do that.  Don the scuba gear, do I take the taming raft or the fishing one?  Neither, hell, I'm in scuba gear, I'm gonna swim around the whole map!  See what my state of mind was?  Rational thought was not possible.  By some strange miracle, I managed to not get eaten until I got to the first loot drop location.  No crate, but a mosa decided I looked like lunch.  Got away, but not before my tank broke.  How I got this far I'll never know.  Head to the next drop.  Oh frak, I'm drowning.  Pop up to the surface.  Oh yeah, tank is broke dumbass.  Oh frak, stamina is almost gone.  Head for shore, frak, megalodons.  I'm gonna die.  Gulp down some jerky and a stim, make it to shore with 25% health.  Whew, just some dilos and pteras.  Recover stam and health.  Do I head home though?  Nope, back out we go.  I managed to somehow get half way up the west coast by hitting the shore regularly.  Not a sign of a crate.  Now I figure out this isn't going to work.  I'll just use the teleport command!  Well, that doesn't work like the wiki says.  Now I'm in the air, over land.  Crap, god mode.  Enemy invisible mode.  Turn god mode back off.  Where the hell am I?  50,50.  Great.  Try it again.  Apparently you can't put in coords for the teleport command, or I'm just in too much of a sleep deprived stupor to figure it out.  I'll just head home.  Raptor aggros a bronto, get caught in the tail swipe and thrown, the rest of my scuba breaks.  Frak.  Don the flak.  East of the redwoods, walking along the bluff on that isle, I hear monkeys.  Since I'm out here, I've been spyglassing the dinos, looking for good ones to come back for.  A 135 female!  Tame it.  It has crap health, but good stats otherwise, white fur and black skin.  Well, that was even a color combo I was looking for!  Kill the 5 and 20 that are running around, even though the 20 has colors I want as well.  Just around the corner, a 135 compy!  Nope, not going back on land with a dino train.  Put the spyglass up, find a way down to the swamp and sprint.  Manage to not run out of stamina near troodons.  Get home, put the monkey up, and remember I'm still in invisible mode.  That's why I didn't die!  Turn it back off, repair the scuba.  This time I take the fishing raft.  Oh, and I'm running the moby sausage-less mod that tones down the leeds, so a raft is still viable.  Night is falling, we leave at dawn.  Ok, am I really seeing this?  Hundreds of pelas.  They're like flies, lines of them spawning right in front of me.  I must be seeing things.  Over by cragg's, holy quetz batman.  A 145 is even in the mix, along with an all-black low level one.  I'm making rex kibble when I get back.  Around the west we go.  I've never seen so many pelas in my life.  I counted 12 Q at cragg's.  Geez, what's going on?  Get to carno island, not a single crate yet.  This frakkin sucks.  Gathered 2k silica pearls in an underwater cave.  Get between carno and far's peak, a crate!  Go to it, and an ascendant giga saddle!  Problem is, I don't have a giga.  Still a keeper.  Night falls again.  Oh well, I'm headed to herbi anyway.  Sun comes back up about the time I get there.  Check out the last 3 drops, there should be one more crate.  Nope, must have missed one of the others.  10pm, I'm not going back around again.  Get home, dock the raft, check the troughs and shut down.  I'll play again when I can actually think, and not do absolutely stupid things like attempt to swim around the map.  I just hope the massive pela over-spawn won't kill all the other ones.  May have to do a pela wipe.  IIRC there is a way to do it.

Spent more time searching out Equus, god are they hard to find in decent levels. Total bust on the search, continued my breeding project, have a male that tamed out at 151, and a female that tamed out at 67, so im working on basically breeding out the female's stats to have a stream of 151's to use as backup in case they get killed by accidents as, well its ARK, and accidents are its middle name. It is slow going, the males love to pop out at 151, but the females have been a chore. First one bred out at 92, next at 107, very slow going on getting a good female for back up equus.

They also refuse to mutate, so they are all now zebras, same black secondary, white primary.

Found a gorgeous burgundy and black male that i was so tempted to get just for its colors.

Found out my dedicated will be switching to scorched for the weekend, so breeding project is on hold until we get back, but wont be able to be on due to work, so hopefully my tribemates will score us some great stuff while we are there.

Well, the three most frequent players have been on today. One to look for pigs so we can test them out (no pigs found), the other to hatch spinos and argents and then to go looking for more high level argents, and me with my terror bird project. I still haven't had much luck all four mutated stats on one bird. Got one female and am trying to get more females and at least one male.

My spino and argent breeding friend gave me a very good idea. She has her argents in breeding pens and just leaves them on wandering and lets the egg collectors collect all the fertilized eggs, and then she gathers the eggs and hatches them when she has time. I decided to do the same with my terror birds so I don't have to do the micro-managing anymore and it's wonderful! Only thing is I feel a bit bad for the birds being crammed into these small breeding pens on wandering and my friend as already threatened with PETA. xD This is the setup:
4PkvOtE.jpg

While looking for pigs, my tribemate spotted a 145 female rex on Carno Island and I decided to take a break in the bird breeding and go and take a look. She was gorgeous! White spine, dark green back and sides and white belly. I was going to try and breed this colour, but having it handed to me on a platter? Yes, please! I got her down without her fleeing out into the ocean and drowning herself. I asked my other friend for help (the spino breeder) as I thought I wouldn't knock the rex out that easily, and my friend was heading towards carno island when she spotted another 145 female rex close to my base. As she didn't have anything on her to knock it out, she took over baby sitting the beauty, and I went and knocked out the other one. She had nothing amazing but she was worth taming at least, while the green and white one had decent stamina and oxygen. The pretty rex got 43 levels in oxygen and the other one got nothing and ended up as wyvern snack. Oxygen was not what I really wanted or what the tribe needs, but since she's so pretty she got to follow me home.

Back in the base, I imprinted the last time on the cyan coloured terror bird I hatched yesterday and that my tribemate really wanted (he's already got the Danish bird, but he wanted this one too) and then the server crashed... We're still waiting for any sings of life from it and have filed a support ticket asking what's going on. No answer yet. :(

Edit: We found out what the issue was with the server, a mod and our admin messing up. The server did a bit of a rollback, so now the pretty green and white rex got much better stats (the other female isn't tamed yet), nothing over 40 unfortunately, but we got a new best stamina which is always something I guess. No matter what; she's still gorgeous. I need to imprint on the terror bird again as well. 

Here's the terror bird btw:
U87VNAV.jpg

Well yesterday was long and productive. As per my personal policy, I do not hatch eggs the first day after a patch. The reason why would have been immediately apparent by the number of hotfixes.

I had plenty of other things to occupy myself with. First and foremost on my list was finding a daeodon. If they're worth taking up a slot I definitely want to breed them for boss fights. Therizinos are already powerful animals who can heal themselves with cakes, the extra boost to their longevity could tip the scales in our favor on the harder difficulties.

I was also looking around for a kentrosaurus, as that's P's latest shiny toy. During my search I came across a 145 allosaurus, but I was not able to tame it before I had to leave for some errands. My luck.

When I got back P was on and looking for a new extra spikey companion on his own, so up into the snow I went. Turns out the pigs of the underworld are very common in the snow. Did not find any good ones on my first circuit, so I came back around and started clearing them out. Eventually came across a 135 female, after some technical difficulties (it started to get a bit slapstick with the wolf I kept picking up instead of the pig) we got away safely. P had found and tamed a kentro in the meantime so there was no pen jousting.

Pigs are annoying to tame. They run around like crazy. But at least you don't have to worry about killing them, lol. By that point our server still had not done the hotfixes so I couldn't test it at all, but I had one at least. P generously donated his 2 iguanadons to the kibble farm and tamed a new male to go with them as well, just in case we end up needing them.

With the start of potential tribe breeding project #3 secured, I decided to take a break from hunting. P had to leave and do some errands of his own and M can't play much on weekends, so I was on my own. Time to do some city maintenance. Narcotics have been so overcrafted that our designated boxes are overfilled, and I keep finding them all over the place. Stacks of them stashed in boxes labeled for other materials, in the smithy, in the kibble house, all over. It drives me crazy. I used some of them to manufacture some darts, then did a wood run to mass produce charcoal in the industrial forge. Since I had the forge on, might as well do a metal run. Went to the mountain to the east and the mountain formerly known as the Grand Peak, now Red.

While all of that was going I invested some time into making and putting down a bunch of new storage boxes to alleviate the overflow of supplies and streamline a few things. It kind of bothers me that the guys won't ever dare to do things like this, M especially as some of the boxes went into builds he did himself. But no, can't dare touch something or Cy will get mad, or something. Uh no I won't, I'd be thrilled someone is helping me out. A used to but she can't play, more's the pity. So I spent probably a couple of hours in the city just doing that and cleaning things up.

During this period I had to put up with O begging global for help with kibble. He's already gotten free animals and fertilized eggs from us and others on the server. Naturally he went to the public hatchery and popped some eggs, then "forgot" about imprinting kibble and was asking for supplies/kibble all afternoon. I finally got annoyed enough and gave him a stack of each main non-egg kibble ingredient since he claimed to have "most" of the required eggs. Just to shut him up, I know I'll never see a return on those.

P came back just in time for the server to get patched, naturally. He tamed some pegos for whatever it is P is doing and his usual swamp run. Nothing good.

After the patch I went out to hunt again, this time for theris, ankys, or turtles, and possibly checking for that allo again. Last rumored 145 was either a despawn or didn't exist, so I didn't hold my breath. Well, it was in the cards tonight as that allo was still there. Awesome. It was a pain but I lured her down the side of the volcano to the public taming pen. It's convenient and besides, I had to have P run me darts and kibble. I know, I wasn't prepared. In my defense an allo is the only animal I currently hunt that I can't carry home and good ones pop rarely. Got her down and tamed, then walked home. Naturally everything short of a giga decided to have some fun with us but allos don't give an eff if you know what I mean, she wrecked everything with support from myself and P. There's a reason almost nothing messes with them.

Once we got into the city I was able to check her stats. New melee high roll, awesome. Can't say I was that surprised with her eating half the swamp on the way home. As a nice bonus she even has one of the colors I need. With the hotfixes applied it was safe to do eggs so I bred her immediately, plenty of meat on Gina from our extended northern flight. Sadly the baby did not come out with anything I needed.

Then O called a 145 theri for me in chat right before I planned on logging. Well, I guess that's not a bad return on some supplies. Grabbed him, brought him him home, tamed him. No high rolls, sigh. I was feeling a little cheeky so I asked if anyone wanted to buy him. O did, as it turns out, since he's all about low effort. So for the price of 10 megalosaurus kibble made with mostly my own supplies and the megalo eggs from the public hatchery, he got a free saddled therizino, basically. The 10 kibble will let me tame another one on our timers. Wasn't much point in asking for anything else, I already know he doesn't have anything.

Let's see.  Friday, did nothing because the patch was late as usual, and my internet is slow, so it was midnight before it downloaded.  Saturday, looked at the version number.  Decided not to load my game until things had settled in.

Finally decided the dust had pretty much settled, so I loaded my game.  It usually takes about 10 minutes.  Half an hour later, I killed it and tried again.  It successfully loaded this time, with much more startup lag than usual.  Great.  If this gets any worse I'm going to just quit playing.  I have lots of other games that don't take so long to load up and get going.

Now that I can actually do something, I made sure the troughs still had food in them, and took off on the wyvern to check out the volcano.  I was underwhelmed to say the least.  So I went back to base.  Gotta respec my engrams.  Thanks Wildcard, really.  I have custom levels as well, just vanilla with double engram points for SP, but still.  At 96, that's a lot of engrams to relearn, especially with s+.  Oh, and now I've got to go back to SE, just to relearn the engrams.  I've had to roll back my save before because s+ messed up and all my structures were gone, and when that happened my engram points were negative until I got the levels back.  Now, why couldn't the game just recalculate what I had spent and earned and put the difference up?  I guess that would be too complicated.  Oh, another thing I found out.  If you have a custom levels list, the game now chops the top 15 levels off for ascension.  I also had no engram points to spend, they hadn't been refunded, and my max level was 90.  I was expecting to respec engrams, but this was just ridiculous.

So, I jumped on the argy, opened the hatch, and headed out.  Went east of the redwoods, and there's that 135 compy.  There's several of them around, so I grab him and head back to base.  Taming a compy is not that big of a deal, the problem is trying to kill the rest while sparing that one high level.  Check several times to make sure he's still there.  He is.  Over the hill, pull up over the taming pen, drop him, go inside, he's gone.  What the hell?  May have scraped him off on a tree or something.  Look around the base a bit to make sure I didn't accidentally drop him on the roof.  He may be in my dino pen, but probably won't be aggressive, so I dunno.  I go back out.  Snatched a lvl 25 achatina near the redwoods.  Took it home and tamed it.  Went to make a metal foundation to keep it on, wait, I can't.  I can't make anything.  Sigh.  I happened to have 2 in storage, so I plopped one down and threw it on that.  It crawled off and stopped right under the item collector.  Oh well.  I'm going to go get some more later, easier than hunting beaver dams.

So, I spawned in a mindwipe to get my engram points back.  That was over an hour of just clicking trying to get back the building and weapon engrams.  I didn't even bother with saddle engrams, as I have to get in my bookshelf and figure out which ones I have bps for.  Plus I apparently don't have my double points anymore because I'm running low.  I might have enough to relearn the SE engrams.  Might.  So I closed the game and set in adding 10 levels to my custom list and spreading the xp above 100 out for the top levels.  That should allow me to level back to 96, and therefore on up to 100.  I've still got to add points for the top 10 levels now, if that even works.  As a temporary work around, I just slapped 1k points in at lvl 90, and I'll use that unless I get to rework the rest of my ini around the new patch.  It's tomorrow, I've been at this far longer than I wanted, so that was it for the night.  I've still got a lot of ini work to do.

I had a pretty productive day yesterday. I've always had trouble with the snow cave on the island (solo player), so I thought I'd fix that since the loot drops are pretty good in there. I spent most of the morning gathering up all the materials and making the structures at my main base that would be needed to build a small base inside the cave. I then jumped on my weight Argy and headed out. It took me awhile to get everything properly setup and moved from my earlier cabin outside the cave to my new small base but it was well worth my time. Now for the next step....choosing which dino I wanted for my new base. I went back to my main base and was looking over all the possible candidates. I ended up choosing my Thylacoleo's to breed so I could take the baby in the cave to raise. I tell you I was really nervous about flying the pregnant female on the back of my Quetzal since he's a lot slower now lol. I finally did make it without her popping the baby out before I got there. I tell you what, the Thyla works amazing in that cave (climbing, jumping, and wrecking everything) and I have no problems at all now. On my first trip I ended up getting a MC fur chest piece from the first red drop (I had a journeyman before). We all know life in Ark.....you just never know how things are going to turn out but thank goodness it ended up a good day!

1 hour ago, phantomman01 said:

I had a pretty productive day yesterday. I've always had trouble with the snow cave on the island (solo player), so I thought I'd fix that since the loot drops are pretty good in there. I spent most of the morning gathering up all the materials and making the structures at my main base that would be needed to build a small base inside the cave. I then jumped on my weight Argy and headed out. It took me awhile to get everything properly setup and moved from my earlier cabin outside the cave to my new small base but it was well worth my time. Now for the next step....choosing which dino I wanted for my new base. I went back to my main base and was looking over all the possible candidates. I ended up choosing my Thylacoleo's to breed so I could take the baby in the cave to raise. I tell you I was really nervous about flying the pregnant female on the back of my Quetzal since he's a lot slower now lol. I finally did make it without her popping the baby out before I got there. I tell you what, the Thyla works amazing in that cave (climbing, jumping, and wrecking everything) and I have no problems at all now. On my first trip I ended up getting a MC fur chest piece from the first red drop (I had a journeyman before). We all know life in Ark.....you just never know how things are going to turn out but thank goodness it ended up a good day!

I will have to breed a thyla myself for that reason now,  it makes perfect sense to take one of them in there

ARGY TAME - Monster

tamed a 145 argy that was giving me a hard time in the redwood, I was out looking for the new kento, and this one argy just kept attacking me time and time again, turn around and check bam 145 argy,  Switch modes into argy taming mode and kited it all the way back to my base in the swamp. Tamed him out and holy crap did I get a roll, 390 damage after tame. I immediately put him over one of or three of my female argies that are all half decent.  1/3 argies got the damage the other two were sacrificed to the gods for better luck next time. With imprinting this baby argy came out with 440 base damage. I Called him the monster. Spent the next few hours/whole night Levelling him up, checky prick ended up with over 700 damage 5k health and 3 k stam. He is a genuine monster of the sky now

Edited by spacejam

I ran around the island and roleplayed a cannibal and cooked and ate someones friend while I made them watch from a cage. Afterwards I asked them one riddle and if they answered right they would be spared and given a gift before they were set free. They got it wrong and I cooked them too.

The riddle was, "How many new bad dino sounds does it take to make someone quit the game?"

Edited by TheBanditKing

Guest BubbaCrawfish

I ventured out today to tame a thylo, came back with 2 Sarcos, a Kapro, a Beelzebufo, and a Thylo, just to have a hungry Baryonyx chow down on the Kapro, Beelzebufo, and one of the Sarco.

Now I can hang the Thylo on the wall in my overcrowded stable.

The weekend wasn't particularly eventful, i finished my base, placing nice metal glass  railings on all the walls, constructed an industrial forge (man the burning of metal took forever, so i'm very glad i finally got one), and bred/raised a pteranodon, it didn't get the wanted stats from the parents (lowest stamina sigh...) but it was a female so kept it for eggs and a spare search and rescue mount :)

Yesterday evening was a bit more eventful and frustrating due to my own noobishness :dod-xmas:, i ventured out to find me a baryonix. After scouting the whole central river (center map) without seeing any, i went looking at the swamp. At the edge of the swamp saw a spino, looked at his level, a 135!!! this is the highest spino i've ever seen on the center so decided to tame it. I kited this beast all the way from the swamp to my taming penn near skull island, which took about 40mins of chewing through every turtle it saw. (for some reason these are the only animals where the spino completely ignores you)

With the spino inside the taming pen i flew to my main base for kibble and extra narcotics and arrows. Flew back and started shooting the spino. Then my noobishness reached a new height. While shooting i saw the spino get bloody but instead of checking my x-bow i thought, it may have lost some health while fighting everything. Then the dreadful message: You killed a 135 spino!!! Then it hit me, i was shooting normal arrows which i had equipped the night before to protect me from an onyc attacking me on skull island... Needless to say that i was very pissed at myself for such a stupid mistake.

Nothing to be done about it, changed all arrows into narcotic arrows and ventured out again looking for a nice tame.

No baryonix worth levelling sadly but i did find a 140 carno which after the tame came out with a whopping 40 levels on health. This is a great starter to breed with :). Went out again and found a high level female scorpion with nice colors: all black with pink legs. Lastly i went looking for parasaurs for imprinting kibble (always searching for 130+ to keep me from hoarding) and found a male 140 and female 140 in about 10mins.

In the end i was pleased with the overall outcome but that spino mistake will hunt me for a while tho... :S   

Last night was a nice Ark session.

So my tribe and I have finally grown discontent enough with our current server to seek out a new one. I found a likely candidate right here on the forums and decided to scout it out ahead of any potential tribe moves, so that's what I've been doing for 2-3 hours at night for the past couple of days.

Sunday I got to be a noob again, but I have to say experience really does make a huge difference in knowing what to avoid and how, and also how to quickly set up basic defenses. The unofficial does have a higher exp multi than I'm used to, so in just one session I went from fresh spawn to a tiny stone box with a fence, a forge and a smithy. Also I accidentally tamed a pego lol. They're kind of ugly up close, no? But Peggy makes a nice backpack, it's nice to not be completely alone even if it is something that looks like a rabid roadkilled porcupine.

Last night my plan started coming together. I had 2 small crop plots and 2 compost bins down to get the basics done. Started one narco and one mejo plant, then got a large crop plot down in preparation for some rockarrot. I scraped together enough metal for a crossbow and a pike and started making arrows. It was kind of a pain but I also scraped together enough chitin/keratin and hide to make a ptera saddle. Made it to level 50 still in cloth armor lol, scrub style. Hide was too valuable to waste on armor, and I don't have easy access to chitin or metal. I also tamed 4 dodos to get eggs going, and set up a preserving bin after a kibble surprise in a white beacon, apparently this server has modified loot drop tables. Taming a theri is now an option...

Anyway, my plan is basically to tame a good ptera and use it to scout for a territory, so I'm not building up past what I already have, and all of my tames so far are small enough to be carried by it. I anticipate not finding a good ptera very quickly--frustratingly there was a lv 174 (max is 180) hanging around outside my little stone shack, but I wasn't ready to tame it yet. Patience and preparation, this is now a waiting game. I need fertilizer and crops, I can get meat easily enough and I already started making narcotics with the narcos I get from gathering fiber.

Honestly I don't remember the last time I spent this much time on foot, without an animal for defense. I have died a few times, most notably getting spawn camped by a 114 raptor. Killed it as soon as I could make a bow. I could have tamed it as a scout but I really would prefer a ptera so I can make short hops for metal to make and repair basic tools.

If you're wondering why I'm doing berry crops instead of say just taming a trike, the answer is simple. Time. I can only play for 2-3 hours a night while at work and at this early stage there is so much I need to do. Crops do the work while I'm at work, and as a nice bonus I don't have to try to run a trike halfway across the map later. It's easier when I am 100% sure I'm not staying where I am since it's much easier to demo and rebuild a few crops.