You're Ruining The Ocean! (Video Proof)

Crows

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got an idea, what if after 5-10 seconds of your tame being stunned they got "used to it" they could move/attack and function normally just a bit slugish, and the shock starts to badly hurt them(like it would irl). Like anywhere from 10-50 dmg a second as long as your mount is being shocked. Even if you were dismounted if your tame is decent enough it will be able to defend itself, and if it is really weak it'd die.

8 hours ago, Bolty said:

OMG that video is making me feel like I was watching horror movie. xD

On serious note tho they needed to be fixed or removed from the game.

They make most water dino useless, and its in no way balanced that we can only use 2 water dino.

which 2 exactly? Theres only one water mount that i'm aware of, basil.

56 minutes ago, GravitronX said:

He was not getting stunned that was the hit boxes working incorrectly that is not part of the game itself it is a problem that the devs have not tried to fix yet

You can't attack on a tuso while stunned by eels. And them getting stuck in you is a bug, but its probs not gonna be fixed for months

59 minutes ago, GravitronX said:

He was not getting stunned that was the hit boxes working incorrectly that is not part of the game itself it is a problem that the devs have not tried to fix yet

Bugs are part of the game until they are fixed. Saying they are not an intended mechanic and don't count doesn't make them go away (if that is what you were trying to say), the ocean is still broken until these types of bugs in it are fixed.

watching the video makes me wanna scream. that is just pure insult. I was wondering a few days ago if I should even bother venture to the sea since I am pretty much a solo player (my tribemate isn't always around)

I don't mind the challenge of getting dismounted or stun locked. but getting it stuck in hitboxes are just plain insult to players time and effort. imagine the effort taken to kill alpha mosas to collect black pearls then to tame squids just to let these lil' turds kill it and having no way to fight back. it's not just a simple case of "i got careless and my tame got killed" it's more towards. "this game is just an insult to my time spent"

let's not forget the amount of time and effort required to tame quetzes to make kibble then to tame mosas then to collect black pearls, then only to get a reply such as "as a player myself, I too feel the pain" from tech help. no you don't, I am quite sure  you are not playing the game the way it is intended to be.

On 3/25/2017 at 9:11 AM, Zergling963 said:

Are electrophorus even on the centre map?? I haven't seen them honestly! Same for ammonites etc?? Or do these still need to be added/updated with the center map?

I do have the Giant Squid on my centre map though! But I haven't seen some of the supposed water dinos around so was curious!

Thanks

Not yet, they will be coming soon, and they will ruin your water experience, so get in the water now, while you still can.

17 minutes ago, ilShadow said:

Not yet, they will be coming soon, and they will ruin your water experience, so get in the water now, while you still can.

No doubt, I got smoked by a squid and eels at the same time. I was out trying to get a Basil with 2 high level Mosa's, and 2 high level Plesi's to watch my back and got hit out of nowhere. I died twice and the third time my small army finally killed everything. Then the best part the squid glitched my highest level Plesi in a huge rock. I've left one of my mid level Mosa's there and put the Plesi on follow and aggressive so hopefully it will render out at some point....if not R.I.P. Nessie lol!

I think it would be safe to say that the Ocean has had the least amount of effort directed to it as far as development goes. Hopefully soon, perhaps after they've reached a desirable position on their TEK content, they'll apply a bit more thought into the Oceans. With that being said, as the game currently stands there isn't any reason why you SHOULD go into the ocean. Sure the Ocean provides a 'fun' factor and offers a different challenge from the rest of the game, but looking at it objectively, the problems with the Ocean aren't 'game-breaking' in any way other than just being ignored/forgotten until they are fixed.

In response back to the OP, I would tend to agree that they are (and seemingly deliberately) ruining the Oceans. In regards to the Eels, no one here has picked up on the biggest problem, in my opinion, with the Eels. Yes the Eels' perma-stun capability, along with clipping and agro issues are destroying any ability to explore the oceans in an engaging manner. But my biggest problem with the Eels is the fact that they utterly butchered what we know about the Electric Eels. For instance, Eels are Freshwater animals and they are obligate oxygen breathers. This means that they would NOT be found in the Oceans at all. They reside in medium to shallow depth rivers, and must surface to breath. These two things right off the bat makes me wonder if the designers of ARK have ever even heard of a Text Book, or hell - nothing I've said here couldn't be learned from a simple Google search. I know that 'historic and scientific' accuracy are not a huge concern for Wild Card. They are making a game for entertainment purposes and not educational. This is fair. But they put Winter creatures in the Snow Biome, 'rain forest' animals in the Red Woods, Amphibians in the swamps, etc. So they are showing SOME degree of trying to match the animal to the habitat. They completely threw that out the window with the Eels. 

And lastly, according to Biologists, Eels generate on average about 600 volts (up to around 900 in some cases) over a duration of up to about 2 milliseconds. Those with any knowledge of Bio-kinetics would know that while this voltage is sufficient to create a 'stun' effect and in some cases cause death. The issue comes in with the duration. Any amount of voltage over 2 ms is not enough to cause much anything other than a muscle spasm and intense pain. Electric Eel's do not hunt by 'stunning' their targets. The Electric Shock is mostly for defense. In addition to this, Eel's do not have teeth, and do not even begin to mess with animals larger than their mouth. 

While these points may seem as just 'being picky' or calling WC out for faulty game design, that was not the intent. Some of the recent changes to ARK's oceans have completely ruined any content they have or plan to have in the oceans. I'm hoping that with further development some of these issues get fixed, even without being 'accurate to reality'. 

4 hours ago, phantomman01 said:

No doubt, I got smoked by a squid and eels at the same time. I was out trying to get a Basil with 2 high level Mosa's, and 2 high level Plesi's to watch my back and got hit out of nowhere. I died twice and the third time my small army finally killed everything. Then the best part the squid glitched my highest level Plesi in a huge rock. I've left one of my mid level Mosa's there and put the Plesi on follow and aggressive so hopefully it will render out at some point....if not R.I.P. Nessie lol!

Sorry to say man but if you are talking about the same thing that happened to my mosa, your plesi will despawn as soon as it exits render :/

14 minutes ago, Gainsboreaux said:

I think it would be safe to say that the Ocean has had the least amount of effort directed to it as far as development goes. Hopefully soon, perhaps after they've reached a desirable position on their TEK content, they'll apply a bit more thought into the Oceans. With that being said, as the game currently stands there isn't any reason why you SHOULD go into the ocean. Sure the Ocean provides a 'fun' factor and offers a different challenge from the rest of the game, but looking at it objectively, the problems with the Ocean aren't 'game-breaking' in any way other than just being ignored/forgotten until they are fixed.

In response back to the OP, I would tend to agree that they are (and seemingly deliberately) ruining the Oceans. In regards to the Eels, no one here has picked up on the biggest problem, in my opinion, with the Eels. Yes the Eels' perma-stun capability, along with clipping and agro issues are destroying any ability to explore the oceans in an engaging manner. But my biggest problem with the Eels is the fact that they utterly butchered what we know about the Electric Eels. For instance, Eels are Freshwater animals and they are obligate oxygen breathers. This means that they would NOT be found in the Oceans at all. They reside in medium to shallow depth rivers, and must surface to breath. These two things right off the bat makes me wonder if the designers of ARK have ever even heard of a Text Book, or hell - nothing I've said here couldn't be learned from a simple Google search. I know that 'historic and scientific' accuracy are not a huge concern for Wild Card. They are making a game for entertainment purposes and not educational. This is fair. But they put Winter creatures in the Snow Biome, 'rain forest' animals in the Red Woods, Amphibians in the swamps, etc. So they are showing SOME degree of trying to match the animal to the habitat. They completely threw that out the window with the Eels. 

And lastly, according to Biologists, Eels generate on average about 600 volts (up to around 900 in some cases) over a duration of up to about 2 milliseconds. Those with any knowledge of Bio-kinetics would know that while this voltage is sufficient to create a 'stun' effect and in some cases cause death. The issue comes in with the duration. Any amount of voltage over 2 ms is not enough to cause much anything other than a muscle spasm and intense pain. Electric Eel's do not hunt by 'stunning' their targets. The Electric Shock is mostly for defense. In addition to this, Eel's do not have teeth, and do not even begin to mess with animals larger than their mouth. 

While these points may seem as just 'being picky' or calling WC out for faulty game design, that was not the intent. Some of the recent changes to ARK's oceans have completely ruined any content they have or plan to have in the oceans. I'm hoping that with further development some of these issues get fixed, even without being 'accurate to reality'. 

To be fair, the ocean is also freshwater, evidenced by, you know, us being able to drink it. 

As an electrician, I can tell you that your numbers to kill someone are way off. It isn't the voltage that kills someone, it's the amperage. 100-200 milliamps will kill you. Anything higher will stop your heart, and you might be able to be resuscitated, but that's pretty unlikely underwater in a game without defibrillators. So, some math: you find amps by dividing voltage by resistance. The resistance of a human body varies, depending on area of the body, dampness, etc, but in water or when you're sweaty it can get down to 1,000 ohms. 600 volts or 900 volts over 1,000 ohms gives you 600 to 900 milliamps.  People have died from as little as 10 milliamps depending on the situations. So I'm no eel expert, but I can tell you the electrical details behind it lol, as it's kind of important for us to know. 

1 hour ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Sorry to say man but if you are talking about the same thing that happened to my mosa, your plesi will despawn as soon as it exits render :/

It's still there, went back and forth a few times. I might try to tame a squid and see if I can't pull her out. I tell you what though, it's a little nerve wrecking being in the ocean now lol!

2 minutes ago, phantomman01 said:

It's still there, went back and forth a few times. I might try to tame a squid and see if I can't pull her out. I tell you what though, it's a little nerve wrecking being in the ocean now lol!

Yeah it is xD But be warned, the tuso can grab your tamed in a bugged manner that makes it unresponsive to anything

3 minutes ago, phantomman01 said:

I've had multiple dinos ranging from Spino's to Mosa's stuck in the geometry. This is your best bet, toss the Plesi on Passive, unclaim her, and try to grab her out of the geometry. Sometimes it will just kill them, but most of the time they glitch out of the geometry.

I think an easier way to balance this would be to add a form of fortitude to large creatures that counters stuns the same way fortitude on players counters torpor effects. Then you have the freedom to maybe not the fastest megladon/squid/etc but instead have it be more tanky against said stunning creatures so it could actually fight back and not just get stun locked to death. This option both gives players a new option on how to counter stuns without making it game breaking as there is only so many points you can invest on lvl ups. As far as the eels getting stuck in the squids head thats just a crappy sorting out on their design for the squid, needs to be fixed.

Archived