Wiping Officials: The big Reddit discussion

JetJaguar

5 hours ago, JetJaguar said:

Why would I get rid of pillars? Are you kidding me? Ive played this game since the day it came out. Don't give me the Server Police routine. its a public server. Yes there are idiots who play this game but that doesn't mean if falls on you to become the servers Pillar Police. That then leads to you pillaring wherever the hell you feel like all while attempting to justify it by saying "But Im protecting resources...". I have more then enough screenshots of people pillaring every and anywhere that have NO RESOURCES AT ALL. No rhyme or reason to it.

The simple fact is people want to become Landlords of the island and dictate who can and cannot build where and when. I didn't pay $30 to WC so I can kiss some other player's ass and beg and plead with them to remove a pillar so I can toss a base up. Gimme a break.

I can understand putting some pillars INSIDE your base, but that's the extent of it.

I've also been playing since the game came out (as if that makes a difference) and thought a lot like this until 3 neighboring tribes decided to thatch foundation every tree and rock out of existence for months. Even then I was like it's "Duh-oh well it's their $30 too and I still have some trees and rocks next to my base." Then I log in and there are foundations straight up to my fence line. Now my trees are gone, but that doesn't matter because I could not build anything inside my own base now anyway. No, pillars are the most important tool to any tribe on official PVE. Until WC gets actual real time admin support it's the only thing to yes, police the server.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SuperGenki said:

I've also been playing since the game came out (as if that makes a difference) and thought a lot like this until 3 neighboring tribes decided to thatch foundation every tree and rock out of existence for months. Even then I was like it's "Duh-oh well it's their $30 too and I still have some trees and rocks next to my base." Then I log in and there are foundations straight up to my fence line. Now my trees are gone, but that doesn't matter because I could not build anything inside my own base now anyway. No, pillars are the most important tool to any tribe on official PVE. Until WC gets actual real time admin support it's the only thing to yes, police the server.

People pillaring and putting foundations at your base so you cannot build is harassment on a PVE and can and should be reported. Ive had this done to me, reported it, and it was promptly taken care of by WC.

5 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

People pillaring and putting foundations at your base so you cannot build is harassment on a PVE and can and should be reported. Ive had this done to me, reported it, and it was promptly taken care of by WC.

When was this week one? WC support hasn't done anything promptly for over a year. They so don't promptly do anything anymore that they placed a warning on their support page that their lack of promptness will be slower than usual. At best you will receive an automated response telling you that since you haven't responded the problem was resolved. 

1 minute ago, StoneyDiagram2008 said:

It may just be me... I haven't read EVERY SINGLE POST but on the ones i have read through... Comment after comment... it seems that most people requesting a wipe are PvP Players. Correct me if I am wrong.

Most of the posts are the same two people agreeing with each other that all servers should be wiped but I do believe some of the others are mostly referring to PVP which is where the duping issue was centered around.

4 minutes ago, StoneyDiagram2008 said:

It may just be me... I haven't read EVERY SINGLE POST but on the ones i have read through... Comment after comment... it seems that most people requesting a wipe are PvP Players. Correct me if I am wrong.

Honestly PVE servers could use a fresh start even if survivors are not directly affected by the rampant duping exploits. I'm good either way though.

I think they need to be careful, wiping is going to have effects both positive and negative.

I can only comment on PVE but if they wipe the server I play on, many will simply leave, or so they say.  I wont but I will be kinda annoyed.

I hope they would introduce new servers and force new, first timers on to these, kind of like a preffered server setting.

Its the same as the whole lets despawn unclaimed dinos, I see a real issue with this as we have a dino limit, its not like dinos stay unclaimed for long periods of time.

I hope the devs look at every option before they decide.

The issue is'nt just about losing stuff and dino is about inside server (pve) we create friends and ownn community who knows and help neighbord fighting and taming nature together , its my way to play ark... I dont need to wake up every morning, seeing my base still destroyed , and just raging about tribe destruct my base if its your play ,dont complain. about the dupe you cant tell if they cheat or is alpha...but in both way you'll argue.the real probleme is mixing pve /pvp data throught the obelisk... Mixing both gameplay is actually unfair for guys who begin pvp and had lil chance to have fun (same if you wipe)just keep dino data in one way pve or pvp so kitting will be less hard ,because all i know about pvp is if you mean to try alone getting something "no life" and try to destruct alpha base with your lonely rex 1st day of the release , wipe it or not, you all cry anyway there is alpha whos growing too fast anyway so plz dont wipe(pve at least)

7 hours ago, FlyingSheep said:

Problem with that, there is simply too many items to all have a unique code. Even if you were going to limit it to per server, once they find  away to change the code, in theory it should change that item, granting cheated items. And if it was the latter of what I just said, people will be able to find out the codes from other servers.

I wish the official ark forums had voting options for this reason.

10 hours ago, Unseen said:

Hope there is a wipe maybe not right now give it a month to release the rest of the new dinos and tek and maybe another month to try and polish the game a bit lol 

Guess what...They have a game mode for this... People are asking for wipes and they are given wipes in extinction (I think is the name). However the majority of players like the game how it is, and don't want it wiped so it shouldn't get wiped for the few that want to just be awkward

2 hours ago, Wodlez said:

Guess what...They have a game mode for this... People are asking for wipes and they are given wipes in extinction (I think is the name). However the majority of players like the game how it is, and don't want it wiped so it shouldn't get wiped for the few that want to just be awkward

False. Even a lot of people in mega tribes say it is time for a wipe. Just because people think they are entitled to something doesn't mean they are. It is not only a game but an early access game. The thing is either way nobody deserves to keep their stuff based on the fact that they worked hard it. Real world or game world, stuff gets taken away.

i still can't grasp these entitled people ???

1 hour ago, Volcano637 said:

False. Even a lot of people in mega tribes say it is time for a wipe. Just because people think they are entitled to something doesn't mean they are. It is not only a game but an early access game. The thing is either way nobody deserves to keep their stuff based on the fact that they worked hard it. Real world or game world, stuff gets taken away.

i still can't grasp these entitled people ???

So, by your logic here. Let's say there's a new neighborhood under construction. Not finished at all. There's houses going up, but the streetlights aren't in, the road isn't paved, and the park playground equipment won't be installed until later.

People who got in at this time get in cheaper, and have their pick of the lots for their houses.

Fast forward a couple of years, everything's finished, there's a few spots left, but not enough for everyone who wants in.

The developers of the land say they have two options. They can build in another nearby area, giving the same opportunities to the new people as the early birds got, or everyone can be kicked out of their homes, and everyone be given the same chance to buy up the lots again.

By your logic, the second option is the one to go with?

10 minutes ago, vanyelxp5 said:

So, by your logic here. Let's say there's a new neighborhood under construction. Not finished at all. There's houses going up, but the streetlights aren't in, the road isn't paved, and the park playground equipment won't be installed until later.

People who got in at this time get in cheaper, and have their pick of the lots for their houses.

Fast forward a couple of years, everything's finished, there's a few spots left, but not enough for everyone who wants in.

The developers of the land say they have two options. They can build in another nearby area, giving the same opportunities to the new people as the early birds got, or everyone can be kicked out of their homes, and everyone be given the same chance to buy up the lots again.

By your logic, the second option is the one to go with?

No absolutely not. If it came down to the situation you are talking about and it was time to go somewhere else because of let's say a "super freeway" was coming (official realease) they could buy them out by giving them skins.

but just like real life if you don't want to move and you aren't willing to, they will just take it. Happened many times before. Hop on the real world train because these servers will be wiped. The past is the past, and the past will make way for the future.

past players don't matter anymore, they are the elderly that is getting ready to be put in a home. You may not like it but that is how the world works. Ark does work like the real world after all lol

I hope they wipe Officials. BUT Let's be honest, it wouldn't solve anything since the majority of the dupe methods havent been fixed.

Having had our home server invaded by dupers like VDD, where their resources seemed completely unlimited, where we killed the same ptera's(Same critter ID) tons of times, the same quetzels the same rex's, turtles, etc. All with identical IDs, and the massive amount of resources they brought to the server, turrets, structures, etc.

It was a horrible 2 weeks fighting them all day/night. It was exhausting. That was back in December.

It has only gotten worse since as new dupe methods were found since then, and fewer were fixed. Fighting against No No No, BLDX, With/against VVG, against Spartans. You can't get away from it, they're all doing it. And by all, it only takes a few people, by and large I know most of these guys arent all guilty of it, but it only takes a few people to raptor it up for everyone. I've reported people I caught duping, screenshots, the method, etc. took 2+ weeks for a response and the guys are still playing. They blanket ban innocent people in the hopes they get the people actually doing the duping, and fail.

The methods arent being fixed, or arent being fixed as fast as new content comes out, because every new content patch they add a new multitude of ways to dupe. Content is all well and good, but at some point you have to fix the bloody game, you cant keep banning everyone who is in a tribe with someone who duped, you arent tracking who is duping so you cant even point a finger at any one person unless you catch them in the act.

Fix the bloody game.

My tribe, myself, we play honestly and fairly and it's hopeless, most have already taken a break from the game, or have quit, we cant be in a multi-server coaltion, we cant help allies attack or defend without the risk of getting banned ourselves because an ally may have duped, and we dont want to get banned from being guilty by association. We can't compete with every other tribe out there duping like crazy. The work we get done in a week, or a month preparing for war, or a single server raid, someone else can do in a couple hours, and it largely goes unchecked.

We've been building the hell out of our server for a year and a half, and I would gladly see it all wiped, all gone. start over fresh, if it means we can get away from all this duping bullpoop.

Fix the game, wipe the servers.

22 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I hope they wipe Officials. BUT Let's be honest, it wouldn't solve anything since the majority of the dupe methods havent been fixed.

Having had our home server invaded by dupers like VDD, where their resources seemed completely unlimited, where we killed the same ptera's(Same critter ID) tons of times, the same quetzels the same rex's, turtles, etc. All with identical IDs, and the massive amount of resources they brought to the server, turrets, structures, etc.

It was a horrible 2 weeks fighting them all day/night. It was exhausting. That was back in December.

It has only gotten worse since as new dupe methods were found since then, and fewer were fixed. Fighting against No No No, BLDX, With/against VVG, against Spartans. You can't get away from it, they're all doing it. And by all, it only takes a few people, by and large I know most of these guys arent all guilty of it, but it only takes a few people to raptor it up for everyone. I've reported people I caught duping, screenshots, the method, etc. took 2+ weeks for a response and the guys are still playing. They blanket ban innocent people in the hopes they get the people actually doing the duping, and fail.

The methods arent being fixed, or arent being fixed as fast as new content comes out, because every new content patch they add a new multitude of ways to dupe. Content is all well and good, but at some point you have to fix the bloody game, you cant keep banning everyone who is in a tribe with someone who duped, you arent tracking who is duping so you cant even point a finger at any one person unless you catch them in the act.

Fix the bloody game.

My tribe, myself, we play honestly and fairly and it's hopeless, most have already taken a break from the game, or have quit, we cant be in a multi-server coaltion, we cant help allies attack or defend without the risk of getting banned ourselves because an ally may have duped, and we dont want to get banned from being guilty by association. We can't compete with every other tribe out there duping like crazy. The work we get done in a week, or a month preparing for war, or a single server raid, someone else can do in a couple hours, and it largely goes unchecked.

We've been building the hell out of our server for a year and a half, and I would gladly see it all wiped, all gone. start over fresh, if it means we can get away from all this duping bullpoop.

Fix the game, wipe the servers.

Very true, a wipe will not fix duping. And I hope by the time an official release comes out atleast most if not all exploits are fixed. Will people always comes up with new ones? Yes but once they finally stop adding content then they can finally concentrate on the exploits. I hate exploits as much as the next guy and they need to be fixed.

the thing is once they are fixed, there has to be a wipe no matter what. I know you agreed with the wipe so I am not arguing, this is also for anyone else that reads this. Your stuff is not your stuff! Plain and simple. You got to test a game for a lower price than anyone that will play later on. You don't get to keep it.

i will not insult or ridicule anybody for thinking they won't wipe the servers, but it's time to see the writing on the wall. They already knew cross ark was a mistake but they tried it anyway and it became more of a mistake than they thought. Does anybody really think they will just continue it? For now yes because once again we are early access, but for the official release they will do a complete overhaul on this game. Don't be surprised if breeding isn't even around anymore(I am not saying breeding specifically but that is an example). Everything will be wiped, and it's a lot more common sense then people think.

ok I am getting off the soap box, hopefully you understand 

24 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

No absolutely not. If it came down to the situation you are talking about and it was time to go somewhere else because of let's say a "super freeway" was coming (official realease) they could buy them out by giving them skins.

but just like real life if you don't want to move and you aren't willing to, they will just take it. Happened many times before. Hop on the real world train because these servers will be wiped. The past is the past, and the past will make way for the future.

past players don't matter anymore, they are the elderly that is getting ready to be put in a home. You may not like it but that is how the world works. Ark does work like the real world after all lol

Except that past players do matter. For the same reasons that games like WoW continue to try to draw people who have left back in. Expansions.

Yes, the new players represent a larger up front chunk of cash if they buy everything all at once. But WC would be idiots to cut their profits in half by driving 50% of their current playerbase away. And even those who are the most critical of them as game developers admit they are smart business people.

No, they will do everything they can to keep everyone happy. Because even if they don't care about the players themselves, $3,000,000 is more than $1,500,000 when it comes to the next $30 DLC expansion.

And even if they'd only lose 20%. $3,000,000 is still more than $2,400,000. It would be a horrible business decision to wipe the servers after saying that they won't. Opening new servers, and only wiping those with active populations below a certain threshold to re-use for new players is the smartest option, and the only one that makes sense from a pure business perspective.

17 minutes ago, vanyelxp5 said:

Except that past players do matter. For the same reasons that games like WoW continue to try to draw people who have left back in. Expansions.

Yes, the new players represent a larger up front chunk of cash if they buy everything all at once. But WC would be idiots to cut their profits in half by driving 50% of their current playerbase away. And even those who are the most critical of them as game developers admit they are smart business people.

No, they will do everything they can to keep everyone happy. Because even if they don't care about the players themselves, $3,000,000 is more than $1,500,000 when it comes to the next $30 DLC expansion.

And even if they'd only lose 20%. $3,000,000 is still more than $2,400,000. It would be a horrible business decision to wipe the servers after saying that they won't. Opening new servers, and only wiping those with active populations below a certain threshold to re-use for new players is the smartest option, and the only one that makes sense from a pure business perspective.

I couldn't disagree more. Ark isn't going to be nearly as long term as WoW. And it is a totally different game as WoW. Nobody gets wiped in WoW, you almost have a guarantee you do get to keep everything. World of Warcraft is the worst example to use. I played WoW and I know at anytime I can get on and have everything I had before.

this game is an early access game and it doesn't follow any of the same ways WoW does. You can lose anything in an instant. And NO PAST PLAYERS DO NOT MATTER! And the reason for that is we are not players, we are alpha/beta testers. We don't get the right to call ourselves players yet.

and as far as the whole money thing goes, a wipe will still benefit because there will not be that many expansions as you you call it left. Maybe bringing Valhalla to consoles, but after all of the Dino's they will add before release, there will not be that much left to add. Sorry man, but the new players will bring in the new cash flow and then hopefully wildcard will save enough of it to start working on the next big thing. 

Testers of ark will soon be as old as the Dino's they ride/breed

i can't wait to see the next game that wildcard comes up with because they have good ideas ?

Problem is that where a regular player will quit the game after a bad experience, those who joined the game solely to cause bad experiences won't stop.

A hacker I've known buys ARK on backup accounts whenever it goes on sale, and when he does get banned, he just moves to the next account.

Regular players will probably quit ARK the moment they get banned on their main, but the people who are here to hack/exploit and troll are WILLING and READY to continue grabbing more copies of the game on sale just to troll and ruin Official servers. This is a plus for WC's development (one person buying cheap copies constantly is major revenue, then add a 10 man tribe onto that, its $200 every ban sweep), but unfortunately that means if the game continues as is, WC will have to axe this reliable revenue source to protect its one-time buyers.

1 hour ago, Volcano637 said:

I couldn't disagree more. Ark isn't going to be nearly as long term as WoW. And it is a totally different game as WoW. Nobody gets wiped in WoW, you almost have a guarantee you do get to keep everything. World of Warcraft is the worst example to use. I played WoW and I know at anytime I can get on and have everything I had before.

this game is an early access game and it doesn't follow any of the same ways WoW does. You can lose anything in an instant. And NO PAST PLAYERS DO NOT MATTER! And the reason for that is we are not players, we are alpha/beta testers. We don't get the right to call ourselves players yet.

and as far as the whole money thing goes, a wipe will still benefit because there will not be that many expansions as you you call it left. Maybe bringing Valhalla to consoles, but after all of the Dino's they will add before release, there will not be that much left to add. Sorry man, but the new players will bring in the new cash flow and then hopefully wildcard will save enough of it to start working on the next big thing. 

Testers of ark will soon be as old as the Dino's they ride/breed

i can't wait to see the next game that wildcard comes up with because they have good ideas ?

To be fair we aren't even official testers, just customers that can provide -SOME- input if we have the right ties (lol Jat ain't gonna read all this crap unless we real important). They do have official testers running around in the forums that have their lips closer to the dev team's ear.

I have spent over 1,500 countable hours on ARK (at least the hours tracked by my steam, I spent way more playing offline) and WC has only made $35 bucks off of me. That ain't a big profit either. Even if I got all my friends to buy the game + the DLC, that's like maybe 350 more dollars, which can maybe pay an overworked developer for one more week. 

47 minutes ago, LilNastyGurl said:

To be fair we aren't even official testers, just customers that can provide -SOME- input if we have the right ties (lol Jat ain't gonna read all this crap unless we real important). They do have official testers running around in the forums that have their lips closer to the dev team's ear.

I have spent over 1,500 countable hours on ARK (at least the hours tracked by my steam, I spent way more playing offline) and WC has only made $35 bucks off of me. That ain't a big profit either. Even if I got all my friends to buy the game + the DLC, that's like maybe 350 more dollars, which can maybe pay an overworked developer for one more week. 

You are right on both counts.

the new players will be paying 59.99 plus tax as well as the 30 for SE though. I on the other hand have only spent 50 total and 35 for you. We may not be official testers, but we are called testers lol

i just really want people to realize that the future of the game is a wipe. Not because I am salty or anything like that. There is a reason WC hasn't officially said they won't do a wipe. Not sure if you saw the video they did just this month but the laugh at the beginning and when they said they are going to wait and see how things go pretty much means they are leaning towards the wipe.

just think how happy the new players will be to have a fresh clean game. They are the future, not us.

EDIT: not just that but I think people will figure out it is fun to restart things again and if not.... oh well, guess you didn't like the game that much

10 hours ago, StoneyDiagram2008 said:

Most of them, (and there ain't many, just the same handful parroting over and over to produce the illusion of volume) are PvP players who have no way to get back at alphas that dominated them.  They see the defunct wipe discussion as their only outlet, their only recourse for any form of revenge and satisfaction.

It doesn't matter that the devs have said they aren't wiping on release, nooo no no no "that might not be what they mean.  We's experts.  The wipe I desperately need is needed b b b because of cheaters... And pillars! Yaassss wipe needed."

8 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

i can't speak for wildcard

Exactly. So please stop insisting on a wipe. You are HELLBENT on a wipe but don't speak for Wildcard. its an extremely strong opinion you have of what you want. Others disagree.  You cant say what you said there and then make comments like "i just really want people to realize that the future of the game is a wipe." - No, that's your opinion, that's not the "future" of the game and not everyone shares your opinion.

Here, try this:

Archived