Wiping Officials: The big Reddit discussion

JetJaguar

2 minutes ago, cxxm said:

servers need to be wiped on release.

besides, a good percentage of players already get wiped on the regular and don't quit, or if they do its temporary, and then they come back and start fresh again and again. all of you people saying u will quit are full of it. if u had something better to do you would be doing it instead of putting thousands of hours into an unfinished game where the risk of losing everything is constant. honestly a complete wipe might do some of u guys good.

also, the only way to completely get rid of all exploited items and dinos is a complete wipe. i know this, the devs know this, and you reading this know this.

*drops mic*

somebody give this man a cookie!

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

They have already gotten a lot of bad reviews. They literally can't win and I do feel bad for them in that aspect. The thing is it will be better for buisness with an official wipe. Yes people that already paid will leave but that's the thing. Catering to them doesn't bring them more money so why should they do it? Because those people think they are special for some reason. But they are really just selfish and don't think about the new players

If you want to keep the game alive you need new and already established playerbase. Otherwise the game will end up like Evolve. Game had terrible PR and publisher only cared about players money, not their opinions. Money it's not the only important matter. If you did something stupid that destroys a good name of your company, you will earn much less money anyway and scare potential customers off.

To be honest, I don't believe this game will gain much more players during the launch. This game is on the market for 1,5 years, who could have bought it, had already done that. Well, we will see.

4 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

If you want to keep the game alive you need new and already established playerbase. Otherwise the game will end up like Evolve Stage 2. Game had terrible PR and publisher only cared about players money, not their opinions. Money it's not the only important matter. If you did something stupid that destroys a good name of your company, you will earn much less money anyway and scare potential customers off.

To be honest, I don't believe this game will gain much more players during the launch. This game is on the market for 1,5 years, who could have bought it, had already done that. Well, we will see.

The established player base is the problem. The fact that they are not willing to let go of their "stuff" for the new players shows they only care about themselves. Why should the devs care about them in that case?

and no. If new players know that the servers are already cluttered and filled with lvl 100's that will bring in less money. Please understand that.

6 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

The established player base is the problem. The fact that they are not willing to let go of their "stuff" for the new players shows they only care about themselves. Why should the devs care about them in that case?

and no. If new players know that the servers are already cluttered and filled with lvl 100's that will bring in less money. Please understand that.

There is no win-win choice to the "The Wipe" matter. Some customers wants to keep things they already have due to hundreds-hours effort. They want Wildcard to respect their time and they have all right to be irritated if their progress would be deleted. There, as you said we have new customers who would like to have even chance on official server. 

Also don't forget Wildcard plan to release more DLCs and old playerbase may be the most willing people to buy it. (It's cheaper to buy DLC than buying launch ARK price + all DLCs)

There is a matter of chosing the lesser evil.

12 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

If you want to keep the game alive you need new and already established playerbase. Otherwise the game will end up like Evolve. Game had terrible PR and publisher only cared about players money, not their opinions. Money it's not the only important matter. If you did something stupid that destroys a good name of your company, you will earn much less money anyway and scare potential customers off.

i bolded the important part. not wiping is exactly what you describe as something stupid that would scare away potential customers

1 minute ago, BobRoss said:

i bolded the important part. not wiping is exactly what you describe as something stupid that would scare away potential customers

We will find out sooner or later. On the other hand I don't see why they wouldn't open new and sperated cluster of servers, because they have money to pay for them. 

28 minutes ago, cxxm said:

servers need to be wiped on release.

besides, a good percentage of players already get wiped on the regular and don't quit, or if they do its temporary, and then they come back and start fresh again and again. all of you people saying u will quit are full of it. if u had something better to do you would be doing it instead of putting thousands of hours into an unfinished game where the risk of losing everything is constant. honestly a complete wipe might do some of u guys good.

also, the only way to completely get rid of all exploited items and dinos is a complete wipe. i know this, the devs know this, and you reading this know this.

Exactly, especially all of the metal from the unlimited weight glitches that every single person has used for months.

and yes there is a new unlimited weight glitch that I brought to the devs attention. And it is a true unlimited weight glitch that hopefully they will stop before even more metal is exploited. Smh 

19 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

We will find out sooner or later. On the other hand I don't see why they wouldn't open new and sperated cluster of servers, because they have money to pay for them. 

because u cut your playerbase again. instead of 2 big groups (PVE and PVP) you will get 4, thats alot less action and a lot more boring servers to take care of.

and people saying they should wipe these old servers once activiy drops, whats the difference with wiping them now? its only ok if you guys are bored of it?

• Volunteer Moderator
48 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

I would honestly feel bad for the pve guys but in all reality I think people would get even more enraged if it just happened to pvp and not the whole game lol

I'm playing on PVE myself and while I would hate to lose my progress, I think wiping PVE servers would be a good thing. 3/4 of the tribes on the servers I play on are no longer playing the game actively but still connect once a week to feed and reset their timers. They do that because they invested a lot of time in the past and doesn't want their beloved dinos going to waste even if they are taking dust for the past few months meaning that a wipe would force them to move on with their life leaving their claimed lands free for newcomers.

59 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

I'm playing on PVE myself and while I would hate to lose my progress, I think wiping PVE servers would be a good thing. 3/4 of the tribes on the servers I play on are no longer playing the game actively but still connect once a week to feed and reset their timers. They do that because they invested a lot of time in the past and doesn't want their beloved dinos going to waste even if they are taking dust for the past few months meaning that a wipe would force them to move on with their life leaving their claimed lands free for newcomers.

Which is a very good point. Why should they be able to keep there stuff if they don't actively play. Either play the game or don't, but they shouldn't be ruining the game for the people that do actively play. Very selfish

6 hours ago, fewcm said:

No, a wipe won't solve anything or serve any legitimate purpose. Will only serve to piss people off.

This 100%. You can have 1000 reasons why you think it will do something, but in the end it will server no legitimate purpose whatsoever. All your reasons are all fine and sound, but a wipe is simply not the answer. And if they actually do wipe the servers you'll all see in a matter of a week everyone will be right back to where they were before. Ark simply isn't a game for new people, never will be no matter if everyone starts at even footing or not. New people will always get completely rekt, multiple times. They will then either stick it out and learn, and get better and better every time if they choose to put the time in. Or, i'd say about 93% of them will just put in 20-100 hours, get rekt once or twice and then quit.

There doesn't need to be any explanations or reasons or debating. A wipe will simply server no legitimate purpose. Which you'll all see if it actually does happen, because it will change nothing and then you'll all be confused and try and justify why it didn't work. "Oh well it's because they didn't wipe correctly..." Lol... :|

1 hour ago, Myj said:

This 100%. You can have 1000 reasons why you think it will do something, but in the end it will server no legitimate purpose whatsoever. All your reasons are all fine and sound, but a wipe is simply not the answer. And if they actually do wipe the servers you'll all see in a matter of a week everyone will be right back to where they were before. Ark simply isn't a game for new people, never will be no matter if everyone starts at even footing or not. New people will always get completely rekt, multiple times. They will then either stick it out and learn, and get better and better every time if they choose to put the time in. Or, i'd say about 93% of them will just put in 20-100 hours, get rekt once or twice and then quit.

There doesn't need to be any explanations or reasons or debating. A wipe will simply server no legitimate purpose. Which you'll all see if it actually does happen, because it will change nothing and then you'll all be confused and try and justify why it didn't work. "Oh well it's because they didn't wipe correctly..." Lol... :|

And how many games is in beta and keep data at release?this is totally true ....you buy any multiplayer game and 3 days after he came out... Everywhere you get no life or abusive long time player so youre new your new!no need to make testers pay any problem there is wipe will report problem you can fix now

I'm going to push the separate clusters idea again, with no transfers between EA servers and full release servers. Here's why I think this will probably happen:

• WC keeps promise to only wipe low population servers - EA players DO MATTER (more below).
  • WC allows full release players access to a "virgin" game.
  • WC has the technology to do this now. Unless the goal is to actively drive off EA players (see EA players matter), why wipe and re purpose populated EA servers? Assuming those players don't quit they're just going to move, so its essentially the same bandwidth.
    • In PvE, I get that wiping servers would get rid of years of accumulated structures and dinos, which improves performance, but that's a pretty temporary solution anyway. In fact, I think it'd be much better for new players to offer fresh servers while leaving the active EA servers alone. Why have the folks that don't quit come in full of salt and pillar off half the map while noobs are playing on the beach? We'll call these salt pillars.
  • The thoughts on fragmenting the community are interesting, but the popularity of the no tames servers show people probably want more game modes than less, and this is an exceptionally easy one to provide. The other thing is, as legacy servers die off, they can simply get shut down and re purposed. If there's not an active player base, they won't stay around forever.

On the topic of why EA players matter, it's mostly this: Does anyone really doubt that if they have a successful launch they are going to pump out a $20 DLC 3-6 months after they release the game? They want as many people as possible to buy that. We may not be as valuable as new customers buying the game, but if you can (easily) avoid spurning thousands of your more diehard fans that mostly have already demonstrated their willingness to pay for a DLC why would you?

On 3/20/2017 at 2:45 PM, TherizinoMcLovin said:

It was $55 prior to tax on PS4 without option to just buy base game.  And many games have said no wipes planned, but due to things coming up that weren't planned did anyway.  Most games do just plan to wipe as it's easier and levels the playing field. 

And you're still ignoring the fact that with server transferring available anything other than wiping servers puts all non-EA players at a significant disadvantage.  And leaves EA players to sweep in at release and just wipe each new server or troll them.

Which would lead to massive amounts of negative press, feedback, ratings, etc.  even more so than wiping official servers of an EA game.

Glaring flaw in your argument. People who have played before and have experience are still going to walk all over noobs. 

2 hours ago, Arkasaurio said:

I'm going to push the separate clusters idea again, with no transfers between EA servers and full release servers. Here's why I think this will probably happen:

• WC keeps promise to only wipe low population servers - EA players DO MATTER (more below).
  • WC allows full release players access to a "virgin" game.
  • WC has the technology to do this now. Unless the goal is to actively drive off EA players (see EA players matter), why wipe and re purpose populated EA servers? Assuming those players don't quit they're just going to move, so its essentially the same bandwidth.
    • In PvE, I get that wiping servers would get rid of years of accumulated structures and dinos, which improves performance, but that's a pretty temporary solution anyway. In fact, I think it'd be much better for new players to offer fresh servers while leaving the active EA servers alone. Why have the folks that don't quit come in full of salt and pillar off half the map while noobs are playing on the beach? We'll call these salt pillars.
  • The thoughts on fragmenting the community are interesting, but the popularity of the no tames servers show people probably want more game modes than less, and this is an exceptionally easy one to provide. The other thing is, as legacy servers die off, they can simply get shut down and re purposed. If there's not an active player base, they won't stay around forever.

On the topic of why EA players matter, it's mostly this: Does anyone really doubt that if they have a successful launch they are going to pump out a $20 DLC 3-6 months after they release the game? They want as many people as possible to buy that. We may not be as valuable as new customers buying the game, but if you can (easily) avoid spurning thousands of your more diehard fans that mostly have already demonstrated their willingness to pay for a DLC why would you?

I would be fine with that. Once again though, only if they legacy never touches the new servers, even a year later. I could get on board with that.

2 hours ago, akamurk said:

Glaring flaw in your argument. People who have played before and have experience are still going to walk all over noobs. 

Yes but atleast they will have to work harder at it. Not having 20 gigas 30 dragons and 50 birds along with 20 quetzals will make them spend more time accumulating that and not on the noobs.

then there is the arguement.... well they will get there in days. No they won't it takes over a week to breed a giga. It will take months and even if it only takes a few months, it will still bring some peace atleast for awhile. Everyday a dragon doesn't come wipe their base is a good day for them

8 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

I would be fine with that. Once again though, only if they legacy never touches the new servers, even a year later. I could get on board with that.

Yep, that is the idea behind a separate cluster. Although, maybe people can do a one time port of all the cosmetic stuff they've accumulated (why not, just trophies). Also 3 months in, who cares if someone wants to transfer a naked character (nothing else0? Unless they majorly change the way leveling works, that wouldn't do anything.

I could do without either of those exceptions though if the "cluster technology" wouldn't allow for it.

If they're going to wipe the servers, they need to announce their intent to do so now, not later, not 5 minutes before release. Now, so people don't put another year into the game under the false pretense that they're going to keep their progress from it.

If they do that, they'll lose some people, maybe even a lot of people. But it's far more likely that they'll come back eventually if the company is open and honest about their intention instead of stringing everyone along for a year, and then announcing the wipe just before launch. They talked about how concurrent player count is one of their most important metrics for the game, well, if they want to keep that rising, they need to do this right.

1 hour ago, Arkasaurio said:

Yep, that is the idea behind a separate cluster. Although, maybe people can do a one time port of all the cosmetic stuff they've accumulated (why not, just trophies). Also 3 months in, who cares if someone wants to transfer a naked character (nothing else0? Unless they majorly change the way leveling works, that wouldn't do anything.

I could do without either of those exceptions though if the "cluster technology" wouldn't allow for it.

You almost had me with the trophies. Then you mentioned the leveled naked character.... no absolutely not. They have to level like everyone else. Yes it is fast to level but that's not the point. If a new player goes to legacy they start from the beginning. So regardless of having new servers. The legacy player will also start from the beginning. Come on arka, don't try to slip that in. I actually do like you but I smh at that. ?

12 hours ago, powerstuck said:

I do realize that. 

I also realize they already sold one DLC and they could sell at least one or two more (one including modded content) and then call it quits.
Because I also know that cost related, where devs are today, cashing in on a DLC or two more, and releasing the game officially. One option has their bank accounts full, the 2nd one stacks the pile and the 3rd one requires they spend cash to maybe get some more. 

your making it sound like they forced us into buying the dlc like we had no other choice.  They had to release to DLC or ark would of been thrown in the bin due a to bs lawsuit that only in America someone could sue for and win. I for one am glad they released The DLC so the game could continue to be worked on and progressed. I didn't buy the dlc scorched earth tho. didn't see the point at the time. ill buy it on the next sale for $13 and not blame them for it

Archived