Wiping Officials: The big Reddit discussion

JetJaguar

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, pursegcn said:

But you said earlier there will be no bugs after release.... So why would they be laggy? 

I know you are trying to make it seem like I contradicted myself but that lagginess I am talking about right there is not a bug. It is the server being so full of structures and Dinos that the server can't handle it so it lags. There is no fix to that and that is not a bug

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, powerstuck said:

Before talking about wiping or not wiping the servers...

Can we get certainty that the game WILL EVENTUALLY BE RELEASED ?

It wouldn't be the first time a game in Early Access eventually got scrapped and devs ran away with cash. There was one game in particular, that was kinda competitor to Ark and many players switched from that game to Ark...

It will be released, no doubt about it. You realize that they already added at least twice as more content than what they initially planned to? They are working on ARK with passion, and they do it for us; the fans. People complaining about the game not being "officially" release would have been the first to complain the game lack content and diversity if it was released last year but they get content every now and then and they still not happy.

Just now, lonesurvivor said:

I could understand a server wipe if

they fix all dupping glitches first

fix most other glitches

players can keep their levels and progress on their character, but not dinos or bases, this would at least give some reward to the people that have been playing already

Nope, sorry but I don't agree.

I am a tester of the game and I have been told so raptoring many times ''It's Early Access'', ''It's okay to be buggy'', ''They will fix it before release''.

If this game wants me and my cash, it raptoring needs to be 110% bug free. No lag poop, no duping, no screwing around. A game that's being tested for close to two years now, it better be perfectly clean once it hits the shelves. 

6 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

Nope, sorry but I don't agree.

I am a tester of the game and I have been told so raptoring many times ''It's Early Access'', ''It's okay to be buggy'', ''They will fix it before release''.

If this game wants me and my cash, it raptoring needs to be 110% bug free. No lag poop, no duping, no screwing around. A game that's being tested for close to two years now, it better be perfectly clean once it hits the shelves. 

Clean and wiped

9 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

It will be released, no doubt about it. You realize that they already added at least twice as more content than what they initially planned to? They are working on ARK with passion, and they do it for us; the fans. People complaining about the game not being "officially" release would have been the first to complain the game lack content and diversity if it was released last year but they get content every now and then and they still not happy.

I do realize that. 

I also realize they already sold one DLC and they could sell at least one or two more (one including modded content) and then call it quits.
Because I also know that cost related, where devs are today, cashing in on a DLC or two more, and releasing the game officially. One option has their bank accounts full, the 2nd one stacks the pile and the 3rd one requires they spend cash to maybe get some more. 

1 minute ago, powerstuck said:

I just dig up this picture from a few weeks ago. 

I don't know, but kinda worries me as a customer. 

ARK.jpg

The wipe will come. Especially when they get people excited right before release when they say it will be wiped. 

And by people I mean new players. The fact that they laughed when asked if servers would be wiped shows a lot right there. And the text they still will not say they won't pretty much means they are going to but saying not confirming nor denying it they can't be called liars

19 minutes ago, Harrist14 said:

I'm not quitting regardless, I was just expressing that there are, no question, a large amount of people that would, including some of my friends

thats pretty childish of them then, they knew what they signed up for, no need to complain halfway in.

24 minutes ago, Basso said:

a game that lost 50% of the players in one week is also no good.

there is a way between both, make two clusters, on legacy one fresh, they cant transfer to each other, bam solution and no one is loosing anything. if an legacy server is to empty over a fixed period of time you could wipe it then.

BAM you just split your entire playerbase in half and cut player interactions by a huge ammount. + you just created an additional cost by doubling the ammount of servers you have to pay for and sustain.

You seem to be going round to many posts trying to push your own thoughts to everyone that official servers should be wiped, I believe the majority of people do not want them to be wiped just the few who believe it to be the answers to all their problems in ark, if you are having problems competing now even after the servers are wiped you would still suffer the same problems in a few months, I would suggest you look at what is currently causing you problems in the game and see what you can do to help yourself get past it, rather than going to every post you can saying wipe servers.

In my opinion, by wiping the servers Wildcard and playerbase will gain nothing. Wiping server is not ultimate solution to alpha tribe abuses, duping and all gameplay desgin flaws this game has. Wiping servers will only make a lot of playerbase angry, because all their effort would be wasted and it will kill their desire to contuinue playing this game. It would be disrespect to players time.

Server are wiped, you have a period of full war between players trying to reclaim the same spots on the server before the wipe. Alpha tribe restablish quickly due to their experience. Lots of furious PVE players making threads shouting at Wildcard and a huge review bomb. We would be at the same spots as we are now, plus a lot of angry players who would make sure to tell other people to not play this game.

They did said during GDC 2017, they have enough income to open new servers at the launch and they would repurpose low populated servers. So why not doing that? They can make those new servers seperated cluster so new players can establish peacefully and then after a month or two, they can open that cluster to older servers. This compromise would please new and older playerbase.

Edit: On the other note, I wonder how do they plan to optimise The Island map without redisgining it completely. The performance comparison between The Island and The Center, proves The Island is just done poorly.

• Volunteer Moderator
10 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

I do realize that. 

I also realize they already sold one DLC and they could sell at least one or two more (one including modded content) and then call it quits.
Because I also know that cost related, where devs are today, cashing in on a DLC or two more, and releasing the game officially. One option has their bank accounts full, the 2nd one stacks the pile and the 3rd one requires they spend cash to maybe get some more. 

I don't really understand your point here. Even if they ends up closing business, you still own the game. True that official servers would be shutdown, but you still have the possibility to player singleplayer, host your own dedicaded servers, your own clusters, etc. To be honnest, I really don't care if the game is alpha, pre-alpha, beta, not compiled, released, not released, whatever. I can play it, I enjoy it, and I enjoy the new content added every patches and already got way more than my money worth of entertainment so if it is to be over tomorrow, than be it. I would move on and do something else more constructive than feeding pixelized baby dinos. :P

30 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

But if they don't do a wipe that that is what needs to happen. And I didn't mean the whole opening the servers later part. That would not be good.

i am talking about the always closed clusters. That would be the only way I would step off the band wagon of the wipe. And I would if that actually happened. As far as dividing the player base goes, that is a great idea. If the other people want to play on the new servers they can start over just like everyone else. They in no way should be able to bring anything over to the new servers. 

other than a wipe, that would be the only other good idea I can see. We may disagree a lot but atleast realize I am open to other ideas if they are actually good ideas.

EDIT: fully getting rid of cross ark could be another possibility.

if they dont wipe the media and reviews of gamers magazines will burn WC to the ground. its in no way justifiable to keep illegit items in your game giving others an edge. 

and if they create a closed cluster they will cut the player interactions and playerbase again, first with PVP/PVE and now with legacy PVP/normal PVP/legacy PVE/normal PVE/experimental no tame servers. if they do this they will end up with so many empty servers and gametypes. 

Just now, BobRoss said:

if they dont wipe the media and reviews of gamers magazines will burn WC to the ground. its in no way justifiable to keep illegit items in your game giving others an edge. 

and if they create a closed cluster they will cut the player interactions and playerbase again, first with PVP/PVE and now with legacy PVP/normal PVP/legacy PVE/normal PVE/experimental no tame servers. if they do this they will end up with so many empty servers and gametypes. 

Don't get me wrong, you are definitely right. I only meant that is the only other option besides the wipe that I could actually get on board with.

did you watch the new video the devs had? The gdc 17. 

Gamer perfection said it was from this month. If you look at how the react to the server wipe question at the last 4 minutes you will see they do intend to wipe. They are smart enough though to not say it yet because they know people would leave.

i don't think a lot of these guys understand how good of businessmen these devs are. To us it's a game to them it's a business, two totally different worlds. They just know people will rage so they are doing the smart thing

27 minutes ago, lonesurvivor said:

I could understand a server wipe if

they fix all dupping glitches first

fix most other glitches

players can keep their levels and progress on their character, but not dinos or bases, this would at least give some reward to the people that have been playing already

lol yeah that will be fair, just stip wood and thatch and go straight to stone, skip all the early game grinds. that wont give an advantage to EA players.  

all these ideas are so bad for the marketing of the game and if WC would follow any of them they'd run their bussiness straight into the ground.

if WC wants to reward us by playing there game in EA and testing it for them, give us a skin that only EA players can have, or a trophy or an achievement, something that doesnt impact gameplay at all. 

8 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

I don't really understand your point here. Even if they ends up closing business, you still own the game. True that official servers would be shutdown, but you still have the possibility to player singleplayer, host your own dedicaded servers, your own clusters, etc. To be honnest, I really don't care if the game is alpha, pre-alpha, beta, not compiled, released, not released, whatever. I can play it, I enjoy it, and I enjoy the new content added every patches and already got way more than my money worth of entertainment so if it is to be over tomorrow, than be it. I would move on and do something else more constructive than feeding pixelized baby dinos. :P

Very well said. And if everyone thought the way you did then there would be no arguments or raging

4 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Don't get me wrong, you are definitely right. I only meant that is the only other option besides the wipe that I could actually get on board with.

Gamer perfection said it was from this month. If you look at how the react to the server wipe question at the last 4 minutes you will see they do intend to wipe. They are smart enough though to not say it yet because they know people would leave.

i don't think a lot of these guys understand how good of businessmen these devs are. To us it's a game to them it's a business, two totally different worlds. They just know people will rage so they are doing the smart thing

They would have only delay the rage of playerbase. It is not a question if but when. I guarantee a lot PVE players would leave making sure to tell other people to not buy this game with huge review bomb. They did mistake by not saying once and for all if game will be wiped at launch. There are some areas of the game that cannot be improved without restart, such us increasing performance of The Island map and fixing its all bugs.

I can't wait for their lackluster "A message to community" saying how much they love us and how sorry they are for making our months worth progress completely pointless. I would cringe as much as I did when I read their "A message to community" about Scorched Earth DLC.

7 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

yeah i know, and i agree with them but if they would tell me they would wipe on official release (which wont be for a looong time considering beta is still to come) i wouldnt stop playing, i wouldnt play less, i would keep playing this game the way i do now. i love this game, every aspect of it. the early game struggle, the lategame grind, all of it.

if you only play to achieve things and dont feel any joy on the road to that achievement than maybe people should consider taking a step back. all these people whining about their bred dinos and bases, its silly really. its not like you wont be able to get them again. and if you wouldnt like to do it over again then why did you do it in the first place?

2 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

lol yeah that will be fair, just stip wood and thatch and go straight to stone, skip all the early game grinds. that wont give an advantage to EA players.  

all these ideas are so bad for the marketing of the game and if WC would follow any of them they'd run their bussiness straight into the ground.

if WC wants to reward us by playing there game in EA and testing it for them, give us a skin that only EA players can have, or a trophy or an achievement, something that doesnt impact gameplay at all. 

I actually like the early game grind. I used to start other characters just to be able to do the early game grind. To me that was the best part of the game and the core concept of it. 

Hopefully people will realize it too after the official release

2 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

They would have only delay the rage of playerbase. It is not a question if but when. I guarantee a lot PVE players would leave making sure to tell other people to not buy this game with huge review bomb. They did mistake by not saying once and for all if game will be wiped at launch. There are some areas of the game that cannot be improved without restart, such us increasing performance of The Island map and fixing its all bugs.

They have already gotten a lot of bad reviews. They literally can't win and I do feel bad for them in that aspect. The thing is it will be better for buisness with an official wipe. Yes people that already paid will leave but that's the thing. Catering to them doesn't bring them more money so why should they do it? Because those people think they are special for some reason. But they are really just selfish and don't think about the new players

6 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

To be realistic, people that know how to play will skip right over thatch and wood anyway. You can be level 60 in a day without too much effort if you know how to play, that's a built in advantage old players will have just because of experience. 

1 minute ago, Harrist14 said:

To be realistic, people that know how to play will skip right over thatch and wood anyway. You can be level 60 in a day without too much effort if you know how to play, that's a built in advantage old players will have just because of experience. 

yeah there you got it, its experience, not a charactler thats 90x as strong as the others. or because you get a 2 year advantage. its because you took the time and risk to play this game in EA. that should be the only advantage you have over the nex players.

servers need to be wiped on release.

besides, a good percentage of players already get wiped on the regular and don't quit, or if they do its temporary, and then they come back and start fresh again and again. all of you people saying u will quit are full of it. if u had something better to do you would be doing it instead of putting thousands of hours into an unfinished game where the risk of losing everything is constant. honestly a complete wipe might do some of u guys good.

also, the only way to completely get rid of all exploited items and dinos is a complete wipe. i know this, the devs know this, and you reading this know this.

8 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

yeah i know, and i agree with them but if they would tell me they would wipe on official release (which wont be for a looong time considering beta is still to come) i wouldnt stop playing, i wouldnt play less, i would keep playing this game the way i do now. i love this game, every aspect of it. the early game struggle, the lategame grind, all of it.

if you only play to achieve things and dont feel any joy on the road to that achievement than maybe people should consider taking a step back. all these people whining about their bred dinos and bases, its silly really. its not like you wont be able to get them again. and if you wouldnt like to do it over again then why did you do it in the first place?

Hands down the best post I have seen in over a month. I feel the same exact way and I couldn't add anything to that if I tried

1 minute ago, cxxm said:

servers need to be wiped on release.

besides, a good percentage of players already get wiped on the regular and don't quit, or if they do its temporary, and then they come back and start fresh again and again. all of you people saying u will quit are full of it. if u had something better to do you would be doing it instead of putting thousands of hours into an unfinished game where the risk of losing everything is constant. honestly a complete wipe might do some of u guys good.

also, the only way to completely get rid of all exploited items and dinos is a complete wipe. i know this, the devs know this, and you reading this know this.

I think a ton of people from PVE will quit. PVP probably much less so. 

Archived