Wiping Officials: The big Reddit discussion

JetJaguar

As much as I hate to admit it.  I feel that AFTER fixing all these issues all servers should be wiped at release.  Everything starts clean / fresh / new.  

Everyone starts over.  Thus it's fair to everyone and you don't have tribes starting out able to transfer and take over multiple servers instantly.  Even if there is a time gate before they can transfer tribes would have a huge head start for when it is allowed over new tribes or players.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sal said:

wow how generous, if they wipe "the other guys" no problem, but if they wipe you ...

guess what i would not mind them wiping all PvE servers =)

YOU, assume too much...

I play both, and I have put my fair share into PvP as well.

I would gladly be in support of a PvP server wipe across the board.

I would not be in favor of a PvE wipe, as for me this would be devastating of all the losses and time we have put into breeding!

And no you'll get no generosity from me, welcome to the real world Neo... You can come and find out on our PvP server how much you'll get from anyone!

I have almost every coveted item and bloodline in the ark. With all of the time I've spent acquiring and maintaining this.. my vote is still to wipe. It really saddens me to farm millions of ingot only to have someone sitting on vaults of bgates because they dooped them over the weekend.. or a warehouse full of rock golems that only cost enough mantis kibble to tame one 150. 

Fix all the issues and let's start on a level playing field. We will see who the true grinders and alphas are then.

Not to mention how much fun fresh servers are. Being the first one in the air on a new packed server is exhilarating.

See you at the top.

Honestly if people wanted a wipe and truly wanted a wipe talk to the community on all servers take the time to go to every server and convince everyone to do a mass exodus across the official servers and then get them all to post on the forums saying we will not come back till a wipe happens. It will be the only way they would ever consider a wipe.

Also for people that do not know stock up on vaults as they are going to be changing the values of these and you can get some easy materials.

Just now, SlipperySquid said:

Honestly if people wanted a wipe and truly wanted a wipe talk to the community on all servers take the time to go to every server and convince everyone to do a mass exodus across the official servers and then get them all to post on the forums saying we will not come back till a wipe happens. It will be the only way they would ever consider a wipe.

All that would do is cause the new players to take over, and probably make an even bigger mess on most servers.

The last part of your post is wrong, because if that were the only way they would ever consider a wipe, they would say "We won't be wiping the servers." not "We don't plan on wiping the servers." Minor distinction there, and some will accuse me of arguing semantics here, but it's a very important difference. It's the same difference as saying "I planned on going to the store." vs "I went to the store." One is an idea, the other is an action. The current idea, or plan, is to not wipe the servers. That could change at any time.

I personally wouldn't like it, and I'd definitely take a break from the game.

To those calling for a monthly/seasonal/yearly wipe, I advise you to play on extinction servers, because that's what those are for.

But I spent $30 on a game, another $30 on an expansion and now everything I spent hours, days, months getting legitimately is to be taken away to give people a "level" playing field? What type of "level" playing field are we talking about here? What you get out of ANY game depends on the number of hours you put INTO a game (And range..). So a person playing 24/7 is always going to have a lot more then the new guy or the guy who can only play a few hours per week. So again, you'll  have people with a lot and people with little. How is leveling the playing field applying here?

Why didn't Blizzard do that when I finally picked WoW up?

I have been playing on Xbox since it came out and if they did a wipe I would stop playing as soon as they announced it ~ Yes I knew it was a risk but after we were told there would be no wipe I decided to put more time in the game than I would have otherwise ~ I have worried about them changing their minds just with the decisions they have been making for this game ~ Now here we are waiting to hear the fate of our bases and tames/breeds ~

In my opinion I think most people who want the wipe are bitter because they have been wiped or just feel threatened ~ Others they cant have the land they want in pve and have either lost tames or haven't put in the time others have and want everyone brought down to their level ~ I think they should just add more servers that would be the most fair option for everyone 

4 hours ago, JetJaguar said:

There are a good number of threads on the Ark Reddit calling for official server wipes. And when I mean a good number, I mean like every other post is a thread about a wipe. A majority of it seems to stem from the duping that’s going on or has recently occurred. Theres enough of a hoopla being made that Jen responded to some of the posts: At the most recent convention, Jeremey/Ark devs mentioned that they are still deciding what they want to do with official servers when the game is "released": Add new servers? Wipe? So that post Jat put up months ago seems null and void. See the video here http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024229/-ARK-Survival-Evolved-Lessons

What is frustrating in all of this is that PVE does not work like PVP. I can 100% understand the frustration of someone duping Tek gear in PVP. This would affect YOU if YOU play on that same server. But on PVE? Is duping even going on with PVE servers? Whats the gain on PVE if it is? Just to look cool?

PVE seems to be another animal entirely. I cant imagine what duping would accomplish on a PVE server. But that’s not quite the issue. On PVE, people have spent months if not since the games release, building huge elaborate bases, working breeding lines, etc. To see this all go away will suck if a complete wipe is forced on all the officials.

I cant quite understand what a wipe at this point would accomplish: Would you get that prime base spot you could never get because someone else has been there? Would the pillars NEVER come back again on any server? Would alpha tribes vanish forever? Would the folks who’ve spent thousands of hours in game be forced to spend thousands more to get breeding lines going again? Would the tamed dino count never reach 4,000 again on servers? Would the platform cap never be reached?

I truly hope when considering a wipe the devs realize the major differences between PVE and PVP gameplay and whats all involved in both servers. I love the game but with the amount of time Ive invested in it, I don't think I could start over yet again from scratch. At that point I'd be visiting other games Ive been ignoring to play Ark. Frustrating but no intention on trying to reclaim all those hours/days once again..

If they wipe, I'm OUT. This game is fun, fun enough to do it ALL over again. I think NOT. 

We should start a petition, to show ark that the cry babies are NOT the majority. 

28 minutes ago, Pandora said:

I have been playing on Xbox since it came out and if they did a wipe I would stop playing as soon as they announced it ~ Yes I knew it was a risk but after we were told there would be no wipe I decided to put more time in the game than I would have otherwise ~ I have worried about them changing their minds just with the decisions they have been making for this game ~ Now here we are waiting to hear the fate of our bases and tames/breeds ~

In my opinion I think most people who want the wipe are bitter because they have been wiped or just feel threatened ~ Others they cant have the land they want in pve and have either lost tames or haven't put in the time others have and want everyone brought down to their level ~ I think they should just add more servers that would be the most fair option for everyone 

Agreed.

I understand that this game is early access, I also understand that it's all just pixels and RNG(Dino stats), but I for one am NOT going to continue on if there is any sort of blanket official wipe, I can understand re purposing servers that are 'dead' or low pop, but wiping thriving servers seems pointless and will only serve to alienate the players that have stuck through this game in 'Alpha' imo

1 hour ago, Pandora said:

So what about me ? I'm not threatened and i have it all... I vote for wipe because of the rediculous duping and because of items some players can no longer get.

Does it not upset you that no matter how hard you work for something you simply can't obtain it anymore ? My fishing rods, my bps, etc etc

Don't get me wrong your mostly correct on people complaining because they are more salty than a mortans salt factory... but there are some of us that would give it all up.

6 minutes ago, BK said:

So what about me ? I'm not threatened and i have it all... I vote for wipe because of the rediculous duping and because of items some players can no longer get.

Does it not upset you that no matter how hard you work for something you simply can't obtain it anymore ? My fishing rods, my bps, etc etc

Don't get me wrong your mostly correct on people complaining because they are more salty than a mortans salt factory... but there are some of us that would give it all up.

But those BP's, rods ect that you have that are no longer available, personally I see them as spoils of war, youve been around long enough that you earned them when they were available, not like you cheated to get them, so have every right to have them

8 minutes ago, BK said:

Should Blizzard do this with woW too? There are items you can no longer get anymore. is it fair to people who started later that cant get it anymore?

10 hours ago, JetJaguar said:

Should Blizzard do this with woW too? There are items you can no longer get anymore. is it fair to people who started later that cant get it anymore?

It's not just the rods etc.. and I understand am also a believer in I earned it and deserve it.. the only point I'm trying to convey is that it's rediculous that some can rise to the top off of the easy route and others have grinded to the top.

4 minutes ago, Novawiz00 said:

With most games don't you lose your work from alpha and beta testing when the full game is released? 

Yeah but in those games you know for sure it will be wiped and normally the test phase doesn't go for years... here we don't know, they even said they don't plan to wipe so doing it after all that would be really bad.

If i knew there was going to be a wipe on officials I would have go to a no official server, the only reason I am on official is because I don't want wipes.

I am uncertain if I am pro or against official wipes. 

I understand devs need to calculate how many players will they lose by doing a wipe, because yes, for some people starting all over is going to be the last nail in the coffin. 

It also opens the door for what to do down the road. They wipe on release, then a year or two later when the game is ''old'' and servers performance poor...do you wipe again or not. 

I guess an official wipe might bring me back to officials, it might not. 

Fix the exploits and then wipe all the servers but bring them back as PG maps so everyone is different, we could keep servers 1 and 2 as the island and the centre. The way it is now every alpha on every server is built on the same spots, if every server was different it would make for some more interesting raids. It would also help the smaller tribes stay hidden as the trolls wouldn't instantly know the map when they transfer over. Of course all the maps would have to be balanced for resources and the caves be made available on them all but it could help spice things up instead of the same two maps. 

wipe the lot and start again at release. How can you Properly release a game into the big wide world that already has people will full capped out servers etc etc etc. the only way that this game will be fair on full release is a complete wipe of everything. To those who leave good riddance to those who stay game on 

2 hours ago, JetJaguar said:

Have those games sold for $30 plus release a $30 expansion on top of it, plus tell you it WONT wipe then backtrack on that promise?

It was $55 prior to tax on PS4 without option to just buy base game.  And many games have said no wipes planned, but due to things coming up that weren't planned did anyway.  Most games do just plan to wipe as it's easier and levels the playing field. 

And you're still ignoring the fact that with server transferring available anything other than wiping servers puts all non-EA players at a significant disadvantage.  And leaves EA players to sweep in at release and just wipe each new server or troll them.

Which would lead to massive amounts of negative press, feedback, ratings, etc.  even more so than wiping official servers of an EA game.

Archived