Wiping Officials: The big Reddit discussion

JetJaguar

There are a good number of threads on the Ark Reddit calling for official server wipes. And when I mean a good number, I mean like every other post is a thread about a wipe. A majority of it seems to stem from the duping that’s going on or has recently occurred. Theres enough of a hoopla being made that Jen responded to some of the posts: At the most recent convention, Jeremey/Ark devs mentioned that they are still deciding what they want to do with official servers when the game is "released": Add new servers? Wipe? So that post Jat put up months ago seems null and void.

See the video here http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024229/-ARK-Survival-Evolved-Lessons

What is frustrating in all of this is that PVE does not work like PVP. I can 100% understand the frustration of someone duping Tek gear in PVP. This would affect YOU if YOU play on that same server. But on PVE? Is duping even going on with PVE servers? Whats the gain on PVE if it is? Just to look cool?

PVE seems to be another animal entirely. I cant imagine what duping would accomplish on a PVE server. But that’s not quite the issue. On PVE, people have spent months if not since the games release, building huge elaborate bases, working breeding lines, etc. To see this all go away will suck if a complete wipe is forced on all the officials.

I cant quite understand what a wipe at this point would accomplish: Would you get that prime base spot you could never get because someone else has been there? Would the pillars NEVER come back again on any server? Would alpha tribes vanish forever? Would the folks who’ve spent thousands of hours in game be forced to spend thousands more to get breeding lines going again? Would the tamed dino count never reach 4,000 again on servers? Would the platform cap never be reached?

I truly hope when considering a wipe the devs realize the major differences between PVE and PVP gameplay and whats all involved in both servers. I love the game but with the amount of time Ive invested in it, I don't think I could start over yet again from scratch. At that point I'd be visiting other games Ive been ignoring to play Ark. Frustrating but no intention on trying to reclaim all those hours/days once again..

EDIT (3/22/2017): it appears Jat has responded somewhat in relation to calls for a wipe due to the duping:

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/60qyco/wildcard_could_we_get_a_statement/df92jqq/

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hope that if they decide to wipe (which im all for btw, both PVE and PVP) they fix all the major issues that are going on right now, duping, glitching, exploiting, pillars on pve, etc etc. as long as these problems exist, a wipe will not do anything but push the problem back a couple of months. 

i feel the devs kinda left PvE lying in the dirt and didnt spend alot of attention to it because there werent any major outcries, its just now with the caps being reached that they realise they made mistakes with that gamemode.

TL;DR fix the game in beta stage, make up your mind as to where you want the game to go for ALL game modes, communicate this to the community and then wipe at release

11 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

i hope that if they decide to wipe (which im all for btw, both PVE and PVP) they fix all the major issues that are going on right now, duping, glitching, exploiting, pillars on pve, etc etc. as long as these problems exist, a wipe will not do anything but push the problem back a couple of months. 

i feel the devs kinda left PvE lying in the dirt and didnt spend alot of attention to it because there werent any major outcries, its just now with the caps being reached that they realise they made mistakes with that gamemode.

TL;DR fix the game in beta stage, make up your mind as to where you want the game to go for ALL game modes, communicate this to the community and then wipe at release

Because I feel like they definitely won't fix everything, I'm against the wipe. IF they really did fix everything, sure

Iv played 'alot' of pve (primitive mind you) official and though it would be painful I would understand a full wipe on release. Imagine going okay we are done time to sell the game as finished! All pvp servers are full of duped tek tiered  tek armored giga alpha tribes, quick refund there. Then you have PVE servers, where every inch of prime land has been built on or double pillared for the past two years so the newly lured in 'by release' players spend a hour trying to find a spot to build a campfire while being frozen to death, eatin by snakes, tranq camped by troods, met the super wolverine dodos or the classic tried to swim across a river and got eaten by piranha - anothe good set of reasons to refund.  Basically they would have to change the store page to encourage unofficial servers first, official as a last resort.

That aside, they DEFINATELY need to spend some more time setting clear bounderies betwen PVP and PVE, gets old being nerfed in PVE cause of PVP. (FIRE ARROWS :Jerbcry:)

53 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

The thing is, Im sure some of these issues can be fixed WITHOUT needing to wipe the servers to do so. It could be a fix that moves forward and doesn't erase months of work. I am fairly certain the duping is a PVP issue. The pillars clearly are a PVE issue. Making them decay rapidly while away from a main base could fix this live w/o a wipe.

I'm not scare of wipe because ARK is still sooooooooooo buged game. Not even playable on Linux even it "is" supported platform. They double rates to build bigger bases but nobody cares when it goes to the pvp you are playing slideshow and not PC game. At the end of the march there should be added another content with I guess a lot of new bug/glitches. Of course these ARK engine with UI, collision and so on is another story of this game. So before some huge patch they can not allow release ARK (wipe server) which I guess will be not sooner than next year. So now just enjoy the game and when there will be day of ARK wipe you will have suddenly plenty of time to spent time in your real life

• Volunteer Moderator

Why are you worrying they have said they will only repurpose low pop servers no wipe. If the discussion is on reddit keep it there we don't need it here. It's been discussed every freaking way.

If you think they will wipe one and not the other then you would be wrong. But they are not wiping either one. 

12 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

Why are you worrying they have said they will only repurpose low pop servers no wipe. If the discussion is on reddit keep it there we don't need it here. It's been discussed every freaking way.

If you think they will wipe one and not the other then you would be wrong. But they are not wiping either one. 

Actually this is wrong.

Jen just posted in the Ark thread about this:

FWIW we recently commented on this during our talk at GDC (which you can watch here at the 56:47 timestamp).

tl;dr don't worry about it because we haven't made a decision.

58 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

The thing is, Im sure some of these issues can be fixed WITHOUT needing to wipe the servers to do so. It could be a fix that moves forward and doesn't erase months of work. I am fairly certain the duping is a PVP issue. The pillars clearly are a PVE issue. Making them decay rapidly while away from a main base could fix this live w/o a wipe.

i understand you are trying to save your progress but in my opinion too much ahs happened on the official servers both PVE and PVP, they have served as test servers and will remain to do so throughout the EA stage and Beta stage but afterwards they should be wiped to give people a clean start, both the EA gamers and player who held out untill launch to play a finished game.

It wouldnt be fair towards these players to spawn onto a map with such a big disadvantage

10 minutes ago, Manta said:

If they wipe PvP, good so be it.

If the wipe PvE, not gonna play this game anymore.

Spent too many hours working to have it all wiped away back to start, would be the end for me.

wow how generous, if they wipe "the other guys" no problem, but if they wipe you ...

guess what i would not mind them wiping all PvE servers =)

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

Actually this is wrong.

FWIW we recently commented on this during our talk at GDC (which you can watch here at the 56:47 timestamp).

Your link isn't working please post another thanks.

21 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

they have gone back on their decisions as they should. sometimes stuff happens and needs to be fixed. they should have never said that they wouldnt wipe officials, that was a bold move, especially during EA

As far as PVP goes they need to figure something out to get new people to want to play in them. Maybe see the activity level for a server and if it seems not as active do a wipe. Maybe give those on that server option to move their Dino's and stuff before hand. 

PVE everyone's biggest headache the pillars. Maybe each person are allowed so much square footage to build on. Make it to where pillars can be destroyed. Again servers with low activity do a wipe on and those on it the option to save their stuff. 

21 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

i understand you are trying to save your progress but in my opinion too much ahs happened on the official servers both PVE and PVP, they have served as test servers and will remain to do so throughout the EA stage and Beta stage but afterwards they should be wiped to give people a clean start, both the EA gamers and player who held out untill launch to play a finished game.

It wouldnt be fair towards these players to spawn onto a map with such a big disadvantage

Which is why they have discussed new servers for new players at launch. I also cant see a compelling argument as to why PVE needs to be wiped and why fixes cant be made going forward without the need for a wipe and destroying months of work..

They stated that wiping at release isn't currently the plan. That doesn't mean that they will, or that they won't, only that they're not planning on it.

The easiest fix to prevent future duping would be to give each item a unique code when it is crafted (or generated in a drop) The duping glitches involve duping items that already exist. Well, duping an item with a unique identifying code would also dupe that code. Now it's a simple matter of creating a way for Admins to scan for repeated codes, or for the game to do so automatically. The devs could set a behavior for the auto-scanner (Delete all but 1 of the items so there is no duplicate code would be the safest method and the least likely to cause problems with people who didn't intentionally dupe, but tested the bug to determine how it works so it could be properly reported.

This wouldn't do anything about items duped prior to the implementation of the identifier codes, but it would help prevent future incidents from happening.

• Volunteer Moderator
13 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

Actually this is wrong.

So they went back to saying nothing? They may or will add more servers? No mention of wiping. Just it's undecided and looking into adding more servers instead. I still don't see the purpose of discussing a wipe that may or may not happen. The topic has been discussed to death. It's more of a fear monger tactic then anything With these posts. 

Thanks for the link some interesting stuff.

8 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

So they went back to saying nothing? They may or will add more servers? No mention of wiping. Just it's undecided and looking into adding more servers instead. I still don't see the purpose of discussing a wipe that may or may not happen. The topic has been discussed to death. It's more of a fear monger tactic then anything With these posts. 

Thanks for the link some interesting stuff.

The fact that at first: no one knew if there would be a wipe. Then we are told there wont be a wipe. Now we are back at there may or may not be a wipe, puts the entire game into a frustrating perspective. For someone who has spent so much time on PVE breeding/taming/etc it sucks to not know if everything will be gone at release...or if it will still remain.

Go look at the Steam forums prior to this forum being setup; people ask almost daily: will this game be wiped on release? Its human nature for people to naturally be concerned about the time they invest in something only to see it vanish. Who the hell wants to play hours a day for nothing in the end? Its a valid concern and it generates valid discussions which is why so many people over the months/years at this point, ask the same question: will everything be wiped at release?

Just now, JetJaguar said:

The fact that at first: no one knew if there would be a wipe. Then we are told there wont be a wipe. Now we are back at there may or may not be a wipe or new servers, puts the entire game into a frustrating perspective. For some who has spent so much time on PVE breeding/taming/etc it sucks to not know if everything will be gone at release...or if it will still remain.

Go look at the Steam forums prior to this forum being setup; people ask almost daily: will this game be wiped on release? Its human nature for people to naturally be concerned about the time they invest in something only to see it vanish. Who the hell wants to play hours a day for nothing in the end? Its a valid concern and it generates valid discussions which is why so many people over the months/years at this point, ask the same question: will everything be wiped at release?

This game is in EA that means everything can dissapear without prior notice. if you wanted things to stay you shouldve probably waited for release. dont get me wrong, i understand your feelings of attachment towards your base and dinos. ARK requires alot of time but its still a game in development. you shouldve always kept in the back of your head the fact that it may all dissapear.

i would be surprised they wouldnt wipe at full release. if the game releases with all the items created/duped during this sh*tstorm we call EA, it will look really bad. even if its only PVE

fresh start for the game and the players is in my eyes the only way to success

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, JetJaguar said:

The fact that at first: no one knew if there would be a wipe. Then we are told there wont be a wipe. Now we are back at there may or may not be a wipe, puts the entire game into a frustrating perspective. For someone who has spent so much time on PVE breeding/taming/etc it sucks to not know if everything will be gone at release...or if it will still remain.

i get it would it suck yes would I care no. No ones time is more valuable in a video games then anyone else's. But I'm not going to sit here and worry about something I have no control over. If I wanted control I would get my own server. I like official servers and I am to abide by wipes roll backs and fetal errors n losing servers completely. It's only a video game. Anything can happen at any time. Ppl have lost all there work servers crashed broken couldn't save data. You only think u have control it's a illusion. Every single tos from steam to Xbox to PS4 will tell you you have no control over what goes on. They are pixels on a screen and can go away at anytime. 

That being said they should just add new servers and leave existing ones alone or repurpose. Or take a stand like rust did and have wipes quarterly or yearly but make a decision. I think rust does monthly. Keeping the game fresh but they also don't have taming breeding ect ect. But they made a decision.

9 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

This game is in EA that means everything can dissapear without prior notice. if you wanted things to stay you shouldve probably waited for release. dont get me wrong, i understand your feelings of attachment towards your base and dinos. ARK requires alot of time but its still a game in development. you shouldve always kept in the back of your head the fact that it may all dissapear.

i would be surprised they wouldnt wipe at full release. if the game releases with all the items created/duped during this sh*tstorm we call EA, it will look really bad. even if its only PVE

fresh start for the game and the players is in my eyes the only way to success

Im trying to get my head around the arguments *for* a wipe: A fresh start for new players is the argument for the wipe? The servers would be back at square one after a few months: Dino caps, pillar spam, alpha tribes, platform caps, you name it. A wipe is a "temp" solution for PVE. Not a long term. If each of the issues are addressed *now*, a wipe isn't even needed.

And with regards to new players: our server constantly gets new players and they become active members of the server. So not sure how new players are still left out in the cold. If there are servers that bad off, then we go back to needing a fix for pillar spam..which could be done now..so new players wont have that issue.

So if they wipe and I quit, it will be the next John Doe who spends hours online, hits dino cap, places pillars all over to prevent building, etc. Nothing will have changed other then perhaps new people now filling the shoes of the frustrated people who quit. But the problems remain the same. And I think they are problems that could be fixed w/o a wipe. Others have had great solutions..

5 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

Im trying to get my head around the arguments *for* a wipe: A fresh start for new players is the argument for the wipe? The servers would be back at square one after a few months: Dino caps, pillar spam, alpha tribes, platform caps, you name it. A wipe is a "temp" solution for PVE. Not a long term. If each of the issues are addressed *now*, a wipe isn't even needed.

And with regards to new players: our server constantly gets new players and they become active members of the server. So not sure how new players are still left out in the cold. If there are servers that bad off, then we go back to needing a fix for pillar spam..which could be done now..so new players wont have that issue.

So if they wipe and I quit, it will be the next John Doe who spends hours online, hits dino cap, places pillars all over to prevent building, etc. Nothing will have changed other then perhaps new people now filling the shoes of the frustrated people who quit. But the problems remain the same. And I think they are problems that could be fixed w/o a wipe. Others have had great solutions..

thats why i said they should wipe AFTER fixing all these major problems. wiping now indeed doesnt solve anything at all as it will just push back the problems a couple months.

my argument for a wipe and it is only MY argument, it isnt the truth just my opinion, is that a new player who buys the game at release shouldnt have the impression that he is behind. the game should be clean at release, as every other game is. and not just the repurposed servers but all of them. there are still people on PVE with items that you cant get anymore or vaults filled with resources they got in a illegit way. 

Archived