Lets talk about the broken ocean.

Robersdee

Lets talk about the broken ocean.

The ocean gameplay in Ark is broken, severely broken. One of the first rules in game design is challenge the player, don't frustrate them. At the present time every water mount is near useless in the ocean and especially caves. With the exception of a high speed ichthy which you can use to whip around without stopping.

It's almost beyond belief that the eels were added, when the Jellies were added there were countless threads on reddit and steam about how cheap they were, despite being avoidable mostly, you can enter a cave and have a few clip through the wall and perma stunlock you, and most likely kill your mount. With the squid (which is an endgame tame) they wont kick you off your mount and you can move slightly, but in a tight environment they can glitch into your head and your done. 

Then WC in their infinite wisdom add the eels, an aggressive dino which will aggro from the very end of the render range, in open water they can almost be dealt with (on a squid) and only if manage to spot a group heading toward you,  but again, if 4 or 5 get the jump on you they glitch inside your head, you cant dismount as you'll be instantly knocked out/killed. Forget about caves, as the jellies they can clip into the narrow section walls, and dismounting in caves the eels are the least of your worries.

Speaking about Caves, you added 2 new caves, the west cave has barely 2 megalodons in it if your lucky, but the east cave, jesus wept.

Firstly, taking anything in here but a whale (useless unless your avoiding everything)  or a squid and your dead, even taking a 260 tuso, your most likely dead. In the narrow passages if you don't get stun locked or head-glitch-locked by the jellies or anglers or eels, then dunks will glitch into your head. You can't escape, you cant defend, and when the 3-4 high lvl mosa aggro to you, you are done. This is frustrating and not challenging. 

Not to mention, squid pushing you/dinos through walls and the geometry. Also the fact my Tuso on PVE has no ability to grab (vampiric attack) so its literally just a reskinned mosa. 

I hope with the upcoming large patch and the addition of water elements the ocean gets a SERIOUS TLC pass, because as it stands its a joke. 

• Volunteer Moderator

How about we start from the top, without the insults hurled as well as quote chains that keep bringing back those insults, shall we?

As for the OP, I hear you on your concerns. However, as more content gets added the meta of things are also expected to evolve as well. In my opinion, it feels like these more recent aquatic hazards seem to rather heavy handedly promote the basilosaurus, given said creatures absolute immunity to stunning attacks. For now, those that can't or won't make use of these creatures will just have to be doubly wary of how they proceed under the sea.

• Volunteer Moderator
9 minutes ago, Robersdee said:

So a 10 minute passive tame whale is now the meta? Not a 300 black pearl and 6 high level turtle tame for the squid. Makes no sense at all, To be honest the main issue is squids getting wild creatures glitched into their head 

If you're referring to survival in the ocean, it's not too hard to see that this is seemingly the case. I mean, truthfully you can handle eels or jellyfish with any other aquatic creature if you're sharp and quick about it, but the creature that's essentially "the path of least resistance" is the Basilosaur due to the very simple fact that it is outright immune to shocking attacks.

32 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

How about we start from the top, without the insults hurled as well as quote chains that keep bringing back those insults, shall we?

As for the OP, I hear you on your concerns. However, as more content gets added the meta of things are also expected to evolve as well. In my opinion, it feels like these more recent aquatic hazards seem to rather heavy handedly promote the basilosaurus, given said creatures absolute immunity to stunning attacks. For now, those that can't or won't make use of these creatures will just have to be doubly wary of how they proceed under the sea.

You could've left Bob Ross' and my comment though.

And you basically said the exact same thing as I did. You just didn't show him how bad he acts directly though.

i havent said anything offensive or provocative and my comment gets deleted? all i said was that the problem is eels and jellyfish glitching inside your big dinos making them invincible. and that dinos spawning inside cave walls and ceilings make it so you cannot predict what you will encounter. 

might it be possible for you to not generalise an entire thread when cleaning it up? some of us try to help but this is discouraging

• Volunteer Moderator
25 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

You could've left Bob Ross' and my comment though.

And you basically said the exact same thing as I did. You just didn't show him how bad he acts directly though.

I could have done that, but then it comes to a point where other posters will wonder why the quoted post vanished. Bob may not have posted anything offensive, however he did end up quoting "the first stone cast" so to say.

I hope you come to understand through this that we're all in this together, and that poor actions of one person can affect the well meant intentions of others.

It's sad that it seems you moderators aren't allowed to say anything bad about the game or agree with some of the player's problems... :( Or you just don't have spent a high amount of hours in the game. I'm with the OP because I experienced every single aspect more than once. You just can't be "sharp and quick" with the lag issues or surprise-spawns. For now I just don't go into the ocean because it's a huge waste of time and I hope the devs will fix it in the future. Who wants to risk hours upon hours of work (for taming Mosas/Squids/etc.) for an artifact or something crappy in a deep sea crate that you maybe already own?

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

I could have done that, but then it comes to a point where other posters will wonder why the quoted post vanished. Bob may not have posted anything offensive, however he did end up quoting "the first stone cast" so to say.

I hope you come to understand through this that we're all in this together, and that poor actions of one person can affect the well meant intentions of others.

i wonder why my post vanished. the post i quoted did have anything offensive in it. if you see git gud as offensive then you should probably clear half of the forum. you could atleast tell the people who didnt do anything wrong why you removed their post.  

i will drop this here because it steers off topic. 

back on topic, the ocean right now is a moshpit of death and is to be avoided when given the opportunity. especially the caves. i hope that when underwater bases are added they will take a look zt the fauna in the ocean and take the necessary steps to fix it, maybe add specific spawn zones to the creatures. make some water safe but lacking in resources and others dangerous but rewarding. 

• Volunteer Moderator

I know I'm crazy I rather enjoy the ocean. I spend about 1/4 my time in ark swimming and riding water Dino's. Peaceful u don't see people. I wish they added more Dino's to the water on PS4 it's missing a lot of spawns right now. I only found one spawn of Ammonite and one Eurypterid. But I know it will get fixed later on in tlc passes 

• Volunteer Moderator

Please stay on topic.

If you have issues with moderation or a forum rule, instead of creating a self-fulfilling prophecy by deliberately violating the rules, open a support ticket and route it to Forums and Forum Accounts.  You can also do the same if you think you received a warning you did not receive.  The off-topic question was answered by ciabattaroll.  There is no need to continue to derail the thread again.

https://support.survivetheark.com/

You guys do realize these two caves are very very end game stuff right. It should be extremely hard to get the artifacts in these two caves. Nobody should be able to farm them. Just barely be able to beat them.

having said that I can just on the band wagon of the glitches. I hate glitches just as much as anyone else and do believe they need to be addressed.

as far as the Dino's go, just leave it alone because it is end game stuff

17 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

You guys do realize these two caves are very very end game stuff right. It should be extremely hard to get the artifacts in these two caves. Nobody should be able to farm them. Just barely be able to beat them.

having said that I can just on the band wagon of the glitches. I hate glitches just as much as anyone else and do believe they need to be addressed.

as far as the Dino's go, just leave it alone because it is end game stuff

i agree the caves should be hard. but not because of glitches or bugs but because the cave should require skill and strategizing to complete it. 

Dinos glitching into other dinos isn't an ocean only problem. However, the land dinos are better equipped to deal with the problem, as their attacks actually tend to hit everything from their follow point forward in a cone which varies in size. In my experience, Carnos seem to have the smallest cone for their basic attack... with it not even extending to the full width of their head.

I've not had good experiences with the water. If it's not being unable to attack because the target is 1cm closer than it was when the first attack hit, it's mantas somehow killing my Plesi through a wall, when the plesi was about 30 feet from the wall, facing toward the inside of the base so his head wasn't sticking out either. My only success in the water has come from riding a speed/stamina trained Ichthy and just avoiding everything.

#1 problem with the ocean in Ark.. the crap way I lose my stuffwhenever I die in the ocean... Never see a satchel and even my animals seem to not drop a bag after they die... absolutely hate this otherwise I don't mind the ocean as for the most part it's an option and can be avoided without affecting the game experience... though when I do choose that option I would love my stuff to be retrievable after I die.. 

23 minutes ago, DmpTrkDrvr said:

#1 problem with the ocean in Ark.. the crap way I lose my stuffwhenever I die in the ocean... Never see a satchel and even my animals seem to not drop a bag after they die... absolutely hate this otherwise I don't mind the ocean as for the most part it's an option and can be avoided without affecting the game experience... though when I do choose that option I would love my stuff to be retrievable after I die.. 

The bags always fall to the lowest point they can before colliding with a surface. Add to that the low visibility and it's very hard to find anything.

The problem with the ocean isn't eels or jellies. Yes they are OP, and no animal should have a "if it reaches you, you're dead mechanic", unless it is a boss (much less so simple knifefish against some of the largest animais ever). But most of the times it's possible to deal with them. The real problem comes from (and who would have thought) glitches/bugs. Why are small fish able to get into your squid and make it stuck? Even worse, why are dinos able to clip through walls and then into you making it impossble to deal with them because they weren't even there?? That's the real problem. And apparently WC can't or just won't fix it. Btw, to every one complaining they lost their dinos due to being stuck. Wait for all the eels to discharge, unmount and swim away, whistle follow all and passive. Your Squid will follow as soon as the stunlock ends. Saved my bacon and Squid more times than I can count. 

Pff, if you get killed in underwater caves you're just using the wrong tools (or using them wrongly).

I stopped playing before the eels, so I can't say much about them, but everyone was complaining about the jellies and the kraken and they're really easy if you go in on a well-bred dire bear. They are fast and can breathe underwater for an eternity with a bit of oxygen, they kick an alpha Mosa (and those 250+ fishies) easily and you can take out the jellyfish with a simple crossbow from a distance. 

There, I fixed it for u guys. Glad I could help ;)

• Volunteer Moderator
8 hours ago, BobRoss said:

i wonder why my post vanished. the post i quoted did have anything offensive in it. if you see git gud as offensive then you should probably clear half of the forum. you could atleast tell the people who didnt do anything wrong why you removed their post.  

i will drop this here because it steers off topic. 

back on topic, the ocean right now is a moshpit of death and is to be avoided when given the opportunity. especially the caves. i hope that when underwater bases are added they will take a look zt the fauna in the ocean and take the necessary steps to fix it, maybe add specific spawn zones to the creatures. make some water safe but lacking in resources and others dangerous but rewarding. 

Yknow, I'll answer this. I personally don't find comments like "git gud" to be offensive. However, when it sparks such a volatile response to it, then action has to be taken. The original poster felt maligned by the comment and gave a knee jerk reaction that was anything but polite. Under normal circumstances, I would have just removed his comment and given him a warning, as respecting each other is the number one rule within the community hub. However, if I were to simply remove his post alone, that sends a wrong message. It states that I find it fine for others to chidingly tell him that his performance is inadequate, that it's somehow ok for others to make fun of any perceived inadequacies he has. Rather than do that, I went with the fairer option of removing both the volatile reply as well as the post that caused such a reaction, affording this thread a blank slate.

6 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

Yknow, I'll answer this. I personally don't find comments like "git gud" to be offensive. However, when it sparks such a volatile response to it, then action has to be taken. The original poster felt maligned by the comment and gave a knee jerk reaction that was anything but polite. Under normal circumstances, I would have just removed his comment and given him a warning, as respecting each other is the number one rule within the community hub. However, if I were to simply remove his post alone, that sends a wrong message. It states that I find it fine for others to chidingly tell him that his performance is inadequate, that it's somehow ok for others to make fun of any perceived inadequacies he has. Rather than do that, I went with the fairer option of removing both the volatile reply as well as the post that caused such a reaction, affording this thread a blank slate.

i understand. i was just a bit pissed that my post was deleted even tho all i wanted to do is help. next time you can maybe send a message or tag the person affected in your response and explain your reasoning.

water under the bridge now. 

Another issue with the ocean:

If you take a tamed turtle out in the deep water. And leave them there for whatever reason, as soon as you leave clipping range they will be deleted. I have done extensive testing of this on official servers as well as single player. What I have learned is this. If an animal is near the seabed and it is a location where a foundation can be placed (directly under the animal) most of the time it is safe. But if its over a patch of seabed that a foundation can't be placed then as soon as you leave clipping range the server either deletes it or something. Oddly enough, no kill message will appear on your drop log. They just stop existing.

The lovely ocean of ark, Cindaria we're frustrating when they were added but after a few hours of being aware you learn to deal with them there essentially stun mines. Eels on the other hand are essentially stun missiles with a great agro range they're little nightmares. There counter the Basilosaurus essentially slowest rideable aquatic creature with less Dmg than a plesiosaur and similar health pool incredibly unpleasant to ride (pretty funny to look at someone riding one tho), I'll be the first to agree that the ocean was incredibly easy the only causality in almost a year (bout 3 weeks ago) was a 80k HP mosa that was grabbed by an alpha squid in open water we immediately received a message saying your level 275 Mosa was killed, that's right my Mosa was instantly popped like a balloon by a squid telling the ark dev's about this was a very tooth pulling experience another rant for another time however TLDR the ocean was easy. The eels are unpleasant and if I get pounced on by a group of them on an Icthy I probably deserve the pounding I'm about to receive but a nice change would be that if I happened to get tagged by a group on a mosa instead of it occasionally attacking once a minute it attacks normally the main danger these things should bring is dismounting me and eating me however my Mosa plesi or tuso should act like the monster of the sea it is and make short work of them.

Archived