What happens to orphan tames?

Kayin

What happens to orphan tames?

I've been playing with friends who have a tendancy to jump off their birds mid-flight and fall to their deaths.    Or be on a boat, aggro a Rex, let their birds flip out and kill the rex, then never park them again.    Long story short,  we're losing track of our tames and we're not tagging them.     My question is -  what happens to them?    

I have managed to find 1 bird about 7 days after we lost it.   It was hovering over a coast really far away from where it was lost.  I have no idea how it got there or survived.    

We brought 1 anky up to the volcano and left it there after mining.  After a server restart, the anky completely disappeared.  No idea where it went.   We didn't lose track of that, but I'm wondering if the game 'thought' we lost it since it was by itself and decided to 'garbage collect' orphan dinos. 

This is why I'm confused. I don't know where all of these tames have gone, or if I can get them back.   

And yes, we should be tagging our tames, we're just being cheap and not doing it. 

-K

If you have your dinos on neutral or attacking target they can get lost if a wild dino attacks or another player, if you're flying and you disconnect and your bird was in a high altitude the bird will hover, they will survive because when no one is around they stasis (food decreases at a lower rate), if you don't see that they died in the tribe log they must be alive somewhere on the map, dinos disappearing is probably a bug, I lost 4 wyverns because they dissapeared.

If the log doesn't say they are dead then they are somewhere. Birds who are not on passive can some times get dragged to the skybox if it gets into a fight, for your anky, retrace your steps, if the server had a roll back it might not be where you thought you left it.

There is a bug that causes tames to vanish or fall through the map.

We've since moved a Doedicurus up to the volcano and have noticed rocks being destroyed instantly that spawn near him and also rocks passively appearing in his inventory.  

The other anklyo we've moved up isn't seeing passive flint or metal spawn in it.     Maybe that's a unique property of the Doedie or something.

-K

1 minute ago, Kayin said:

We've since moved a Doedicurus up to the volcano and have noticed rocks being destroyed instantly that spawn near him and also rocks passively appearing in his inventory.  

The other anklyo we've moved up isn't seeing passive flint or metal spawn in it.     Maybe that's a unique property of the Doedie or something.

-K

You're correct. The Doed will gather rocks on his own but the Anky will not.

Archived