Dino pen question

Angelo

7 hours ago, Gizzmo said:

So there is no need to use spiked fences??? ive just made a bunch for my pen but damn there ugly!  im on PVE/PVP server... not so worried about being attacked by players

Spiked fences are good at keeping dinos away, especially lager carnivores. I believe it states in the engram description, that they do more damage to larger dinos. So, if you are in an area with large carnivores around, I would invest in spikes as well. You could even just put some around key areas outside of your fence, where they might agro to you, or your tamed dinos.

37 minutes ago, Grimlock98 said:

oh i love the spike walls! they look cool, but i put a ton of these around my base to keep the darn Bronto's out.  trying to build and the place is shaking like an earthquake lol.

someone said to make them 3 panels high to keep carnivores out, wont they destroy a thatch fence?  been wondering this.

only if they aggro onto your dinos..which is only if they see em

13 hours ago, Spiros said:

Spiked fences are good at keeping dinos away, especially lager carnivores. I believe it states in the engram description, that they do more damage to larger dinos. So, if you are in an area with large carnivores around, I would invest in spikes as well. You could even just put some around key areas outside of your fence, where they might agro to you, or your tamed dinos.

13 hours ago, zousug said:

only if they aggro onto your dinos..which is only if they see em

chears for the info guys

• 8 months later...
7 minutes ago, BeastKing said:

my dinos always glitch through the walls. How do i stop that?

Take them off wander, it's a known issue. Alternatively, there's some tricks to reduce the risk, but on wander, it is bound to happen.Some tricks include: putting spiked walls against your walls, making a second set of walls in case they glitch through the first, putting them in a ring of foundations with walls on top, enlcosing them on naked ground inside (most such work mostly on smaller critters.)
For an oviraptyor which needs to be on wander, you can encumber it with rocks to keep it put. The dung beetle works best in a wooden cage, or the foundation+wall pen.

Thing is, animals render in before structures. If they're moving, they'll always be at risk of ghosting through structures before the game realizes a structure is there.

32 minutes ago, Housatonic said:

Take them off wander, it's a known issue. Alternatively, there's some tricks to reduce the risk, but on wander, it is bound to happen.Some tricks include: putting spiked walls against your walls, making a second set of walls in case they glitch through the first, putting them in a ring of foundations with walls on top, enlcosing them on naked ground inside (most such work mostly on smaller critters.)
For an oviraptyor which needs to be on wander, you can encumber it with rocks to keep it put. The dung beetle works best in a wooden cage, or the foundation+wall pen.

Thing is, animals render in before structures. If they're moving, they'll always be at risk of ghosting through structures before the game realizes a structure is there.

Some good ideas, especially for the oviraptor, 

On 10/13/2016 at 4:48 PM, Housatonic said:

thnx

One thing I haven't seen mentioned about spike walls, if damage is on and a neutral wild animal brushes up against them they will take damage and start attacking them. Pretty harmless if it's something like a pachy, not so much if it happens to be a bronto. I personally would recommend against spike walls for that reason and just go the traditional fence foundation + walls.

Archived