How to counter offline c4 raids?

ZachLee

How to counter offline c4 raids?

Hello everyone,

First off let me say I love the game, and everything it brings. The server I play on is a slightly boosted PVP private server. My tribe I lead is an 11 person, 9 person on daily, tribe. Our base if a full double walled metal structure, and is hidden in a crevice between 2 cliff faces. The base layer is a maze full of traps, dinos on wander/aggressive, and auto turrets fully stocked with bullets. Above that layer is our vault/crafting room, a 4 high wall room, that has a hidden entrance from below in the maze floor. In the corners of this room is some metal towers bristling with turrets, 16 in total full ammo. The room is 4 high because we have the vaults raised up by one wall, with wooden ladders leading up to them, so if people c4 the vault the have to find another way up. Above this room is an observation room with the walls around in being doorframes to shoot from. Above that is a room filled with raptors and scorpions. Then we have the top floor which is a room filled with spiked walls. Then the roof on top of that, which has spikes on top of it. Around the main structure has 4 spires as tall as the base with even more auto turrets. Around the whole base is a perimeter fence backed up by doubled spike walls. the area around the base has defensive dinos on aggressive. (passive dinos stored separately, primarily flyers and pets. all electrical systems are backed up by redundant generators and separately enclosed in metal.

The issue we are having is offline c4 raiding from above and I can not for the life of me come up with a counter. This other tribe we have been at war with sense darn near the start of the server. All they do is wait till we are offline, drop a bunch of c4 on the roof, blow their way down, blow the vaults, take anything of importance, smash what they can, and leave. this happens every 3 days or so and honestly rebuilding is all we do now in this late game stage, and is honestly taking all the fun out of the game because of someone with stacks of c4. does anyone have any suggestions for this?

*Sorry for the length*

P.S. Our tribe is a raiding tribe but of fairness i guess? we don't raid tribes just starting out because we see no purpose for this (and often actually give them resources and a server welcome wagon). we also only raid when the people are online, seeing as we are real men (and 2 women). We like a good fight, other wise where is the fun ;) sometimes for sh**s and giggles we will gear up and go to an open field and challenge other tribes to a dino/man fight, winner takes all! 

Just kidding, really the best raiding technique people can do nowadays is c4/cluster bombing from above because Auto-Turret aiming isn't that great vs falling players. I've tried putting layers of metal-spikes and autos ontop to deter unskilled c4/cluster droppers but it doesn't always work. Offline Raiding > everything.

I've seen people cover their roofs with Vaults (so bombing straight from above is a difficult task) and some people even tried encumbered Rock Golems as a roof defense.

did the vault technique work? we have the metal, seeing as one of our tribes requirements is you have to get 250 metal ingots every time you log on. on paper it sounds like a brilliant idea. However, turning off online raiding would work, but our server owner won't, because in the past she had it on, but a tribe found a way that i will not disclose, so their base was invincible all the time, which this processes, took very little effort as the owner described. I discovered it was invincible at the death of myself and many dinos. 

I would go for the vault idea, or even stacking vaults ontop of metal cellings ontop of more vaults. If they are attacking from the sky, you might have to put heavy focus on the top of your base.

You could also just keep building metal rooms going up. Do a buffer chamber system. 1 layer of walls and just keep going higher. Maybe even throw turrets in each chamber.

I dont have much of an idea of how your base is designed, just trying to get you decent advice for what i could gather about your base.

Offline counters will just be dodged or recountered :D The "be online" comment is the only true solid defence.

I understand the clean fighting attitude, it was something I tried to do for a long time in this game. After fighting a ton of greifers, backstabbers and other assorted trash I decided to fight people in the same manner they fight me. They want to consistently attack you offline I would suggest you guys go full on and smash them when they are offline. No half measures just wipe them.

The best defence is a strong offence.

I also vote the turrets inside technique. And mybe some agressive dimorphdons and troodons. 

Plus I also think you could attack them after the continous defence  - you are clearly a target, so the resources you spend on your base you could use to demolish their. 

I'm also not a great agressive PVPer, but after such "harrasment" I would take my rocket launchers and turtels and would give a go. Even consider asking around other tribes, probably they also fed up on these raiders...

2 hours ago, BobRoss said:

there is nothing you can do vs offline raiders, whatever you do will just be destroyed or worked around. Sadly right now the best defense is offense. strike pre'emptively and wipe the competition before it is even there. Its boring, its a drag but its the only way

This is the ultimate thruth...  nevertheles stronger defenses will turn away the wannabe raiders (so it never hurts to have some turrets and vaults around), but nothing stops a dedicated raiding team. People used to say make the raiders to lose resources... the problem, in lots of cases raiding is done because of fun, not because it's economical. 

8 minutes ago, szabiferi said:

This is the ultimate thruth...  nevertheles stronger defenses will turn away the wannabe raiders (so it never hurts to have some turrets and vaults around), but nothing stops a dedicated raiding team. People used to say make the raiders to lose resources... the problem, in lots of cases raiding is done because of fun, not because it's economical. 

this is true, it might deter some beta tribes or up and coming tribes or even trolls but the dedicated big tribes who want to wipe instead of raid wont be stopped by any ammount of turrets/plants. They dont do it to get resources or BP, they do it because they want you gone and they dont even think about the cost. 

+ its costs way more to defend than it costs to attack.

1 hour ago, BobRoss said:

this is true, it might deter some beta tribes or up and coming tribes or even trolls but the dedicated big tribes who want to wipe instead of raid wont be stopped by any ammount of turrets/plants. They dont do it to get resources or BP, they do it because they want you gone and they dont even think about the cost. 

+ its costs way more to defend than it costs to attack.

and when you have 100.000 dupes cluster grenades who cares about the cost, that is the main problem, too much stuff around nobody ever farmed.

Weapons and Ammo is very expensive, yet some tribes have hoarded absurd amounts of it "somehow" ...

8 hours ago, Armadatiny said:

Offline counters will just be dodged or recountered :D The "be online" comment is the only true solid defence.

I understand the clean fighting attitude, it was something I tried to do for a long time in this game. After fighting a ton of greifers, backstabbers and other assorted trash I decided to fight people in the same manner they fight me. They want to consistently attack you offline I would suggest you guys go full on and smash them when they are offline. No half measures just wipe them.

The best defence is a strong offence.

Yep, this is what we do.  A week ago we had someone hover snipe a mutated Rex of ours while most folks were offline.  They came from another server.  When we found out which server they were from we fought fire with fire.  We paid them a little visit while they were offline, then again, then again, then again.  We've lost that first Rex and maybe a handful of Pteri's (due to Ark, not that other tribe).  They've lost 200+ tames...

28 minutes ago, sal said:

and when you have 100.000 dupes cluster grenades who cares about the cost, that is the main problem, too much stuff around nobody ever farmed.

Weapons and Ammo is very expensive, yet some tribes have hoarded absurd amounts of it "somehow" ...

are you serious? ammo is one of the easiest things to get, it just takes some time. same goes for weapons. defenses are far more costly. double layered walls, mazes, turrets, generators/backupgenerators. there is so much more stuff to take in consideration when defending than there is in attacking.

11 hours ago, ZachLee said:

The issue we are having is offline c4 raiding from above and I can not for the life of me come up with a counter. This other tribe we have been at war with sense darn near the start of the server. All they do is wait till we are offline, drop a bunch of c4 on the roof, blow their way down, blow the vaults, take anything of importance, smash what they can, and leave. this happens every 3 days or so and honestly rebuilding is all we do now in this late game stage, and is honestly taking all the fun out of the game because of someone with stacks of c4. does anyone have any suggestions for this?

Thinking this over a bit and talking with some folks from my tribe and I might have a good solution for you.  You are on a private server with a pretty decent amount of players actually if you have 9-11 active players.  I'd bet money the other tribe does a good job of watching the server log and taking note of when the last person from your tribe logs off. At that point they know it's safe to start their raid with no chance at getting caught.  Let's change that.  Have each of your tribe members create an alt account and add them to the tribe.  This will create 9-11 new gt's the enemy tribe won't be familiar with who can at any time be at the base.  Then work among yourselves to take shifts making sure someone at all times is online guarding the base.  Use some sort of offline chat system to alert the other members when a raid is taking place and then get back online and kick their tails.  There you go, problem solved. Now keep in mind this works excellent with Xbox one, but I'm not as familiar with PC to determine whether this method would cost money or not...

In the room they bust into I recommend putting aggressive troodons and microraptors, the midroraptors take the player of the mount and stun them, while the troodons do what they do best. Also try to put the turrets inside aswell, keep them hidden. Another idea that works a lot! Is getting a high level ptera and pumping a lot of speed and melee and have it on aggressive in the vault room, if they c4 in they will get attacked by the aggressive ptera, it also is great for people on fliers, works like a missile!

Archived