New to the game and a bit lost

RuairiAU

Hey guys,

As the title suggests, I'm new to the game and trying to figure things out. I'm playing with 2 friends in a private server. We've made some tools, some clothes, cooked some food, made some weapons, made a bed, walked the along the beach and got brutally murdered, tried to go to a light beam in the distance and got murdered. Basically we're at the 'getting murdered at every step' phase of the game. I've tried reading a few guides and they all seem to stop here.  

I don't mind the challenge, but I'm just not sure what the objective is. Is there somewhere that we go? Do we just move from place to place, set up camp and kill stuff (or die trying)? I get that we can tame creatures, but I'm not sure why - is it just for transport and additional combat pets? I suppose I'm wondering what is it that we should be aiming towards?

you die alot in the early game.  since you are on a private server i dont know what the population is or if its just you 3.  is it pve  or pvp.   you need to pick a spot  clear it and build a base.  building will level you and open more of the game to you.  once you have a place to keep tames start taming (watch youtube)  then you can hunt and cover more ground and even fly.

Welcome to Ark! 

I was the same way starting out. Technically, Ark is a sandbox/open world style game with no direct objective list given to you to accomplish (think like minecraft). 

However, there are tons of 'mini objectives' that you can create for yourself. For example:

-build a nice base

-build a well defended base

-explore engram items and content 

-tame one of every creature 

-perfect tame some favorite creatures

-explore the island 

-explore end game content 

-raise a dino army to defeat the bosses

You get the point. 

One guy I found helpful, fun to watch, and entertaining was this guy: https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=2nyCEi6dx3w

Ultimately the game is meant to be played in a world with many players who add a new dynamic threat level. However it's very enjoyable on a  private server or single player. 

You really need to start building a base, and start taming, tames not only offer protection and a way of getting around but they will make gathering and hunting a lot easer and quicker. Work towards higher armour like chitin and flak and metal tools / weapons such as pikes, hatches and pickaxes. There is an end game, Like fighting the broodmother, one of the main bosses in ark.

There's so much information we all could put here but we'd be here all day, so like others have said, look for a few YouTube videos.

Welcome to Ark!

The "wander down the beach and get eaten" time, and time, and time again is a familiar tale, I was once there too. 

I have a few suggestions to add / compliment some of the others here.

- As people have said, the first thing you and your friends should focus on is building a serviceable Outpost. Don't bother with thatch...aim for wood, or better yet, stone. And it's best for each level to be two walls high.

- A good Outpost (imo) should have a good number of spawn beds (you can place them right on top of each other so they don't take up much room), a few large storage chests, a preserving bin, a couple of mortar and pestles, a forge, and a smithy.

- Once you have those last two, melt down the raw metal you'll collect in small amounts farming stone, and start working on metal tools. They'll increase your harvest yield and make better weapons.

- Tamed dinosaurs serve many different functions to enhance the game. I suggest that you look into a stego or trike first, because they can harvest berries much more efficiently than you can, and the narco berries are used to craft narcotic that you can use for other tames. Speaking of which, save your spoiled meat that plus narco berries equals narcotic, made in the mortar and pestle.

- I also recommend getting pteranodons or pelagornises so you can explore the map. It's much safer to do it in the air than on foot. Use a bola to restrain it, then shoot it with tranq arrows (stone arrow + narcotic). Pteranodons eat meat, pelagornises eat fish. They're both good as starting flying mounts.

From there, you and your friends choose your own adventure, so to speak. Scout out an area to build a big base, tame anything that looks interesting. Explore farming, and breeding...assemble an army of tames to take on the bosses; there are many ways to enjoy Ark on a local server with your friends.

I hope this gives you some help. 

12 minutes ago, Samammo said:

Official PvP servers are where the main action takes place.

your main aim is to get set up enough to be able to challenge other tribes. You should set up a base and get some defences and ultimately- either raid the alpha tribe and become the new alphas, or become allied with the alphas.

I don't think it's fair throwing them to the wolfs before they even know what they are doing. I think PvE is the best place to learn the mechanics of the game and if they feel it's time to PvP then they can do so, also starting off in a PvP server this late would be putting them even more at a disadvantage.

make a small base with your friends and tame a trike as soon as possible, aim for a decent lvl one. once you have a decent level trike, not much will be able to kill you. from that first trike tame one for every one of you. remember, tamed dinos are alot stronger than wild ones. once you have your first trike, the dieing will stop and you can start to aim for some fliers. thats where the real game begins. :) good luck

Gonna add a few of my new player tips to the list as well :)

- PvE is a great place to learn, and not get clubbed out and caged by low life PvP trolls :P

- Don't spend your engram points as soon as you get them!!!! You don't get enough to learn everything as you level, so don't spend points on something unless you are 100% sure you need it. Split things between your tribemates to maximize what you can craft as a tribe :) Refer to ark.gamepedia.com if you aren't sure what an engram is for.

- Don't tame anything you cant keep safe at your base while you are not around.

- Don't get too attached to your first base. You may thought you built a nice sized home, but you will quickly run out of space later. Start small and keep expansion or relocation in mind. Your first house/base is generally your stepping stool to the big base when everything starts coming together.

- Craft, craft, craft like a maniac to level up. Building your base will rack in a ton of exp for you.

- Don't be discouraged, the game can sometimes (or often times) be a little hardcore. As a result, perseverance has a huge payoff!

- Don't be afraid to grab some gear you don't mind losing and go exploring :D

- Sprinting in the cold/freezing will drain your food meter very quickly. Sprinting in the heat/megaheat will drain water very quickly. When the game tells you that you are just "cold" or "hot", you don't have to go into shelter like it suggests, just be mindful of this :)

- Avoid putting your character levelups into melee/oxygen/food/water/fortitude/crafting speed. They are for very specific things that you generally don't need early on. Fortitude is debatable if useful early on, the rest won't help you much or at all.

- Everything gets easier in time, Ark is weird in that (in general) things get easier as you progress instead of harder like other games you might be familiar with. (Boss fights excluded)

Other than that, just try not to build too close to other players, and keep on surviving :) It is a sandbox game so your goal is whatever you would like it to be!

58 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

...Don't spend your engram points as soon as you get them!!!!

I'll reiterate this one. Only spend them if you 100% know you're going to need the item and even then, don't spend them until the moment you need to. There's nothing more annoying than spending points on something then finding the blueprint for it soon after (this happened to me when I built my forge).

Furthermore, go to every drop you can (within reason) and always take any blueprints you find from them even if you've already spent the points on it. You may wish to do a mindwipe in the future and having those BP's stashed away mean you won't ever have to spend points on them again.

Finally, always check your stash of blueprints before spending points on a new engram just in case you already have the BP.

11 hours ago, RuairiAU said:

Hey guys,

As the title suggests, I'm new to the game and trying to figure things out. I'm playing with 2 friends in a private server. We've made some tools, some clothes, cooked some food, made some weapons, made a bed, walked the along the beach and got brutally murdered, tried to go to a light beam in the distance and got murdered. Basically we're at the 'getting murdered at every step' phase of the game. I've tried reading a few guides and they all seem to stop here.  

I don't mind the challenge, but I'm just not sure what the objective is. Is there somewhere that we go? Do we just move from place to place, set up camp and kill stuff (or die trying)? I get that we can tame creatures, but I'm not sure why - is it just for transport and additional combat pets? I suppose I'm wondering what is it that we should be aiming towards?

Honestly, this is the most interesting stage of the game, where the survival feeling can be felt. Later the game just switches to a grindy MMO kind of gameplay. 

I would say, enjoy the first phase, where you learn and have adrenaline boost when you see a carnivore rushing to you. 

BTW 3 of you can kill  almost anything, if you have ranged weapons (like bows/stone arrows). The dino AI totally dumb, just spread around and shoot the dino, it will run beetween the players, cant focus on one. 

Otherwise, try to tame a flyer (eg a pteranodon) as soon as possible. That changes the gameplay a lot - riding a flyer basically eliminates the danger from travelling, as no land based dino can hurt you, and apart from argentavis, no flyers aggro at all. 

4 hours ago, RagedDrew said:

I don't think it's fair throwing them to the wolfs before they even know what they are doing. I think PvE is the best place to learn the mechanics of the game and if they feel it's time to PvP then they can do so, also starting off in a PvP server this late would be putting them even more at a disadvantage.

It's important to mention that when you start at PVE and then move to PVP you are starting over from day one, level one when you make the switch...

dying alot in the beginning is normal.  when i start on a new server my first goal is to get down a foundation with a bed and a chest, and have some neccessities in the chest for next time i die. I build and expand as i go, starting with small dinos .. dodos and dilos that i can keep inside and collect eggs from .. and use for preserving meat and berrries atleast a little until i can build a preservation bin.

Many of the dinos you tame have certain abilities that help you... Mammoths, beavers and thorny dragons collect wood.  Wyverns, brontos, trikes, Moose, rinos collect thatch, and some collect berries. Bears collect fiber and berries, and can also harvest meat.  Sabers and wolves are good for collecting hide and pelt .... 

Archived