Defending base against tamed Wyverns?

Charlie12345

This weekend got wiped twice and lost a number of tames.  Both times to Wyverns.  Had x plants but no auto turrets.  Do auto turrets work really well against Wyverns and how many would you need to effectively defend against one high level Wyvern?    Is there a better way of defending against Wyverns if you are raided offline?

10 minutes ago, DinoMinions said:

Turrets, some set to players only then some to tamed if you dont have a dino to fight the wyvern. This way it will shoot off the rider and while they spawn back at their base and get another flyer to get it your other turrets will be ripping into the wyvern itself. 

This person has the right idea, and yes turrets are far better that plant species x against wyverns. A decent amount of turrets will chew up wyverns quick.

Depends on the Wyvern and their rider's intention.

With Fire Wyverns, clustered guns (many put very close onto catwalks) helps since Fire Wyverns have to be somewhat close to adequately damage stuff (can't bombard outside of gun range).

With Lightning Wyverns, evenly distributed guns + x-plant slowing support helps since L-Wyvs can fire off their breath from longer distance, able to kill players/tames focused in small area. Generally what everyone uses to wipe out base innards by poking holes and blasting inside.

With Poison Wyverns your guns will only be marginally helpful since most P-Wyvern users just hang out past the gun range and bombard you. They are the more durable of them so you might see them attempt to waste ammo or draw the fire of all the guns they can while their support works their explosives on you.

Having xplants at least 5 foundations outside your auto's range can sometimes slow an unaware Wyvern rider into stumbling into the auto-range and keep them pinned there for awhile (can kill non-imprinted wyverns). Keeping at least 2 guns on "Players Only" can kill the unprotected rider if they land to blast from the ground (keeping them on the delay can trick some players as well, who unknowingly get too close when the guns stop firing).

Fabricated Snipers/Longnecks are your friend, even Whips if you're suiciding vs a wyvern. An unmounted wyvern is easy to kill due to their terrible AI.

However none of this will help if you're not online to deal with them.

Some bit offtopic advice but you might consider these:

1. I advise to build some vaults, what you can put even outside of the walls of your buildings. Their resource need is the same as approx 10 metal walls + a bit of oil and polymer, but they are much stornger than an even triple wall layered metal base. Dont forget to pincode them. 

Just show the raiders that even if they break into your house, the loot wont be easy to collect. Most raiders get bored if there is no real reward after they spend an hour or so on raiding. Honestly, after you have your stone building the next step should be some vaults INSTEAD of a metal base. 

2. Have you ever tried to talk to the folks? I mean talk, not angry shouting and swearing on the global, just asking a personal meeting at a place and chitchatting on local. On several servers I have very good experience with diplomacy. Simply just telling them that you got the point, and would like to have alittle cease fire (even just telling them to give THEIR wyverns a little rest, because probably it is already tired on the daily raid) could make wonder. Put aside the negative feeling, use mature tone and im 99% sure you can be even friends...

On my current server I was totally levelled two times by the alpha, but a month later we are close friends, because I wasnt angry or salty on them, just joked with them like I maentioned above (all my animals were also killed by their wyvern, I still remember it's name :) )

• 7 months later...
On 3/13/2017 at 9:50 PM, Charlie12345 said:

This weekend got wiped twice and lost a number of tames.  Both times to Wyverns.  Had x plants but no auto turrets.  Do auto turrets work really well against Wyverns and how many would you need to effectively defend against one high level Wyvern?    Is there a better way of defending against Wyverns if you are raided offline?

Offline basically the only way is auto turrets. If u on a good crafting bonus fab sniper should do the trick.

Archived