What is PVE exactly?

BlackDragon93

What is PVE exactly?

So what is PVE? I've only ever played PVP and got pretty big. But it's annoying dealing with trolls and getting knocked out by people or picked by a ptera while flying my brand new wyvern. Can people kill your tames on PVE? Also can people kill you the player on PVE? I know they can demolish your structures after a period of time but does that reset when I log into the server or is it just they can destroy it all the time? 

If you dont log in for a period of time parts (if not all) of your base become demolishable. Logging in resets the decay timer

different base tiers (wood, stone etc) have different timers, more time the higher the tier

Depending on the server you find the focus shifts away from protecting your assets from other players to building, protecting you your dinos and your base from wild dinos, the odd PvE Troll and playing the map - Tame dinos, level, accrue artifacts for the bosses. - you can focus on a better build rather than a raid proof, functional build if that makes sense...

I've switched to PvE and love it. Some people love it, others hate it. Really depends on what you like to do in Ark, PvE is what you make of it really.

And no, other players cant kill or hurt you or your dinos, They can lure gigas or titans to your base and agro them, however. Tribes can declare war on each other - its a mutual agreement kind of thing I think...

PVE is the game mode where people can't hurt you directly.

That doesn't mean there aren't trolls. It just means that if they shoot you in the face, they're wasting ammo.

They can't kill your tames, they can't kill you, and they can't destroy your buildings.

What they can do, is kite things to you/your base, kill things you're trying to tame (before knockout, not after) and demolish your structures/claim your tames if you're gone for a certain length of time.

51 minutes ago, BlackDragon93 said:

What is PVE exactly?

So what is PVE? I've only ever played PVP and got pretty big. But it's annoying dealing with trolls and getting knocked out by people or picked by a ptera while flying my brand new wyvern. Can people kill your tames on PVE? Also can people kill you the player on PVE? I know they can demolish your structures after a period of time but does that reset when I log into the server or is it just they can destroy it all the time? 

Only way someone can troll you is kiting things to your base or maybe something your taming

structures are demolish-able after a certain time 4 days for thatch 8 days for wood 14 days for stone and i think it was 16 days and 7 days before creatures become claimible by others the timers are reset to full via proximity so if you dont visit a base on the other side of the island it will be demolished

Personally, I like that fact that it allows me to build bases from imagination rather than any necessity to have certain facilities in place. You can leave your dino's outside in a paddock rather than stashed inside a warehouse. The only thing I have to worry about at the new base I'm building is Argents but having a couple of Rex's and a few Carnos set to neutral but tied to a passive tame keeps them at bay.

It's generally a more chilled atmosphere. You know when you log on exactly what condition you'll find your base in (just how you left it) and, although there are still morons around, they're generally toothless because although kiting is possible it's rarely worth the effort to find a Titan, Giga or alpha and then agro it all the way to your base.

PvE in my opinion is just a better experience for people who want to achieve tek tier from bosses later in the game. No cheating and looking up guides how to do the boss either because thats the point of pve, try and try again. If you look up guides and such all the time your just going to burn out the games lifetime. 

PvE is very fun and i personally love it. PvP has to much toxic/grief minded players to make it enjoyable. PvE war's are also possible which allows you to fight each other. 

Remind yourself that PVE has its drawbacks too. The likelihood of you finding a good base spot is low due to pillar spamming. The server you choose (if playing official) will most likely already have the Dino platform limit already capped, and in many cases the server wide Dino tame limit as well. Although there was a patch to help deal with the tribe Dino tame limit, it won't do much in the near future as more tribes flock to PVE- unless the join/leave ratio is balanced. PVE usually has MUCH more lag too. Rubber banding is real. 

If you find a good server and a good spot to build on, it is definitely worth it. All it is is PVP servers without the general feel of being wiped or raided- if you still build moderate defenses encase 15-20 year olds decide to troll by methods described by other posts above mine- and without the ability to engage in pvp yourself. 

Freedom to make a decent egg farm. 

Freedom to expand. 

Freedom to build as someone said before to have a functional base. You can build entirely of stone if you wish- as long as you have metal fences surrounding it depending on the map you play on. It's required for center maps. Gigas are a real threat on center PVE maps. We had a giga relief tribe on my old PVE center server lol. 

Also keep in mind that depending on your preferred play style, PVE may actually not be in your best interests. After you've built a decent base and have acquired all the necessary tames, often PVE can be HELLA boring. PVE endgame is reached a lot sooner than PVP endgame, and soon you'll find yourself with no immediate tasks, if any at all. So as someone said, tek tier is PVE's glorified endgame because it's far easier to achieve it than on PVP. Other than tek doors though, for their convenience, or flying around with the tek chest, or fighting gigas with tek rexes, all other tek tier is moot on PVE

People in PVE can definitely kill you. They can drag you off a cliff so you take fall dmg. They can drag you to water and drown you. 

But, that's why on PVE you log off naked and store everything in a box. Even if you die/get killed,  your stuff will be safe and you can respawn onto a bed like nothing happened. 

EDIT : Just to add...if you go PVE.

My suggestion is become a good community member of your server. On my server I've had people quit for 6 months, come back just to say hello and be offered a few dinos just because they were a positive and helpful community member. 

Be a sausage if you want, but don't underestimate the great length people are ready to go to, just to annoy and bother you. You may not be killed per say, but titanos, gigas, brontos, carnos and other wild dinos...they are not very picky when it comes to whose dinos they chew on. 

And there is nothing easier than to place a passive 40k bronto infront of your behemot gate so you are stuck in your base. 

10 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

People in PVE can definitely kill you. They can drag you off a cliff so you take fall dmg. They can drag you to water and drown you. 

But, that's why on PVE you log off naked and store everything in a box. Even if you die/get killed,  your stuff will be safe and you can respawn onto a bed like nothing happened. 

If you're unconscious, whether by knockout, or by logout, you don't take fall damage.

On 3/13/2017 at 10:07 AM, GreenSoup2HoT said:

PvE in my opinion is just a better experience for people who want to achieve tek tier from bosses later in the game. No cheating and looking up guides how to do the boss either because thats the point of pve, try and try again. If you look up guides and such all the time your just going to burn out the games lifetime. 

PvE is very fun and i personally love it. PvP has to much toxic/grief minded players to make it enjoyable. PvE war's are also possible which allows you to fight each other. 

Oh well that didn't work, gotta go breed up 20 more rexs....

Maybe I am biased as a solo player on that thought but bosses are just not one of those simple trial and error things, imo.

the big thing in PVE that attracts so many players is the fact that you can pick up where you left off, you can sit at work and think about what you will do in the evening. 

you cannot do that in PVP, there is always the solid chance that you come back to your base completely wiped and having to start from scratch. 

most people with wifes/kids/jobs etc like to actually progress on their own tempo :) atleast thats what i like to do

10 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

Oh well that didn't work, gotta go breed up 20 more rexs....

Maybe I am biased as a solo player on that thought but bosses are just not one of those simple trial and error things, imo.

Honestly the Dev's gotta rework the whole, just take 20+ rex's and kill the boss mentality. It should require more strategy or just punish stacking Rex's. I'd rather see people breed tanky turtles and have ranged dinos have a play in boss battles. More variety of Dino's in boss battles is all i ask. More player dynamics also where you need to snipe weak spots to immobilize the boss or something. Just my 2 cents. 

Also pretty sure the Easy mode bosses are more pve friendly compared to the whole bring 20 rex's and beat hardmode deal. 

1 minute ago, GreenSoup2HoT said:

Honestly the Dev's gotta rework the whole, just take 20+ rex's and kill the boss mentality. It should require more strategy or just punish stacking Rex's. I'd rather see people breed tanky turtles and have ranged dinos have a play in boss battles. More variety of Dino's in boss battles is all i ask. More player dynamics also where you need to snipe weak spots to immobilise the boss or something. Just my 2 cents. 

Also pretty sure the Easy mode bosses are more pve friendly compared to the whole bring 20 rex's and beat hardmode deal. 

Yeah that sounds pretty legit. Although from what I have seen, hardmode dragon and manticore you cant just throw your rexs at. Personally I am pretty close to ready for easymode bosses (i am a solo player so that is an awful lot of work to do!) and I plan to wait it out some more and see what changes come to the boss fights.

Just now, Sh4rk said:

Yeah that sounds pretty legit. Although from what I have seen, hardmode dragon and manticore you cant just throw your rexs at. Personally I am pretty close to ready for easymode bosses (i am a solo player so that is an awful lot of work to do!) and I plan to wait it out some more and see what changes come to the boss fights.

There are videos of Ark youtubers soloing all the bosses with just Rex's on Hardmode to farm element for tex tier. Its possible but lame. 

• 5 months later...

Ways people can be killed in PvE by other players;

Get caught on a Wyvern's/Quetzal's wings and go for a ride. 

Baryonyx stun attack can drown you (use to, they may have fixed this)

As a lot of people said, kiting any number of wild's to your base even offline and just letting them sit there for when you log in (ORP doesn't take effect for 15 minutes so a lot of damage can be done in that time)

PvE is a generally more relaxed game mode though. Global chat is used a lot. To some it can get boring but it depends on what you like to do. I love to tame, trade, breed for stats and a little for color's, and generally explore. That is why PVE made the most sense for me. I love the boss fights (Alpha Manti and Alpha Brood done, Monkey next if I can last in legacy long enough) and want to finish the game where we started. I'm already up on the new server's too though luckily my tribe mates over there are focusing heavily on building us up there allowing me to keep focusing on getting us ready for the next set of bosses in legacy. 

You'll get trolls and griefer's sometimes in PVE but it's a different type of trolling and usually easily ignored outside someone boxing in where you're building. 

I feel like the idea of a pve build would be super fun and I would love to bring an artistic nature to my building, but then I remember that I can't kill/raid people who fk with me. And pve has its trolls who will fk with you.

so I am content just building pvp smart and having a rep as someone who will only retaliate not instigate, but the retaliation is a full wipe.

Archived