-food drop passively very fast compare to other bird

-Cannot saddle pick or pick anything

-Use more stamina than any other bird 

-Fly Slower than any other bird

-Carry less weight than any other bird

-Do less damage than any other bird

-Got less hp than any other bird 

He my tough on the Pelagornis 

The pelagornis is by far the weakest bird in the game carrying less than the pteranodon having less healt and damage burning more stamina. Hardly a bird worth taming.

All of this could have made him worth it if he could Power dive and swim underwater.

What do you guys think of the Pelagornis?

It's one of those useless Ark creatures that you  don't use for anything else than eggs or just for the sake of having one. in the same list you can put:

- Allosaurus

- Angler

- Araneo

- Archaeopteryx

- Arthropluera

- Carno

- Compy

- Dilo

- Dimetrodon

- Dimorphodon

- Diplodocus

- Dodo

- Gallimamus

- Kairuku

- Kapprosuchus

- Mesopithecus

- Moth

- Pachy

- Pachyrino

- Parasaur

- Scorpion

- Raptor

- Terror Bird

You could add some other creatures to this list.

Above creatures are really only good as pets or for eggs, not to actually use them for anything productive. Pelagornis fits right in there.

-antropleura is super easy to tame and very strong combine with other turret since it can one shot someone armor

-Allosaurus can be consider as a glass cannon since the leader of the pack do 110 dps that 40 more dps than a rex and the slow bite but they get easily stuck on each other . Bad coding

- Dilo are guard dog. Can be use to blind driver since if it shot the dino and the driver now

-Mesopethicus are really useful since if you upgrade the weight it literally like a back pack since it will have 50% less weight 

- Kairuku  are a resource of organic polymer, can be breed to get organic poly also. 

- Dodo have 11 % chance to pop an egg every time they poop. You can mass produce there kibble to feed baby dino since they take 1 day to spoil

- - Scorpion, if you could breed them they would be use to tank turret since they have a natural armor and heal 10 hp every spoil meat you force feed them. 

-Dimorphodon 

The dimorphodon is one of the most underrated dinosaurs in the game. Speaking to the above video, from my earliest days in Ark a flock of dimorphodons has been my go-to method of navigating the dangers of Ark. In a large group (I usually use 25), they're damn near unstoppable.

That's neither here nor there, though, since the OP made the thread to discuss the pros and cons of the pelegornis. :)

I actually tamed my first pelegornis this past week, when I made the jump from Xbox to PC. Since acquiring a flier is an early priority for me in a new game, I was in the market...and I've never been a fan of pteranodons, so I figured I'd give the silly, prehistoric seagull a chance.

For what I wanted (to be in the air, period), my pelagornis served her purpose well enough. Really, I just needed anything with wings to make the trip to upgrade to an eagle.

The major disadvantages have already been discussed, but even though I brought down a high level bird, her stats were all different kinds of garbage.

I had hoped she might serve for rudimentary metal runs, but her carry weight was pitiful. I had hoped to use her to scope the map out, but her stamina wasn't great. And her health made her an easy snack if anything had taken a bite out of her.

I did like that she was very maneuverable, and with a few points in stamina and speed served her main function: to facilitate the acquisition of an eagle.

So, my assessment is:

The pelagornis is a decent option for transportation in the earliest stages of the game. If all you're looking for is to be airborne, they're great.

But they should be used to upgrade to something decent ASAP.

That said, I love my seagull...but, yeah, scarcely worth the effort if you don't hate pteranodons.

I like pelagornis as a scouting bird, especially on/near water. When I'm flying around looking for a high level of a specific dino, I often use the pelagornis.

It can easily get more food, just land and kill a few fish.

It doesn't dismount you when you accidentally hit the water while looking through a spy glass.

Landing on water is usually safer to rest.

I also use it if I just need to gather some fish quickly.

It's uses are situational, but it's not useless.

And yeah, a Dimorph swarm is awesome.

24 minutes ago, ProHPDeskjet said:

It's ability to harvest immense amounts of organic polymer shouldn't be underestimated. Regardless of its low hp and other vital stats, I feel like the organic polymer harvesting makes up for that.

-ProHPdeskjest

it less trouble to farm penguin with a Therazine or a club than with the pelagonis. He does not have the weight for it. Also is melee dont improve how much polymer you get from penguin. I teste it with  600 melee and 271 melee.

The absolute best way to farm organic polymear is on scorch earth with mantis killing and snail but snail are annoying to maintain 

I admit the Pelagornis isn't for everyone, but we really enjoy ours:

1. We do a lot in the water, so having a mount we can fly in and land in a water pen and dismount directly into the water is phenomenal.  Swim back up under it, mount, and leave.
  2. I've used it to kill Alpha Raptors in a pinch. No joke.  Granted, finding one with 404 base melee has helped tremendously with that.
  3. They do gather Organic ridiculously well.  I can't deny that the mantis on SE are faster, but you don't have to transfer back and forth to capitalize if you just need enough to make up a set of Ghillie or something.
  4. They look great in Cherry Red. 
  5. Supposedly, we'll eventually be able to use fishing rods off of their backs.  Their maneuverability will make them far better than a boat. 
  6. They're quick on the water with a few points into speed (or an imprint). 
  7. Because they aren't (typically) built for combat, you can afford to dump points into weight and stamina instead of health and melee.  Still not going to be using them for farming metal, but transporting things around the map (moving eggs from base to blue obby on the Center for trading, for example) is a breeze.
  8. They can squeeze through a doorframe with a door attached, just as long as the door is opened IN. 
  9. They can attack while on the ground in the same vein as the Tapejara and Wyvern.  Good for harvesting baby dinos you don't want...and they won't eat the profits so you can cook up that prime. 
  10. They make adorable noises.20170219131110_1.thumb.jpg.d867827f61f82b6814241c9f4bf02f3f.jpg

5 hours ago, Carcajou said:

it less trouble to farm penguin with a Therazine or a club than with the pelagonis. He does not have the weight for it. Also is melee dont improve how much polymer you get from penguin. I teste it with  600 melee and 271 melee.

The absolute best way to farm organic polymear is on scorch earth with mantis killing and snail but snail are annoying to maintain 

All very true, you're better off pinpointing the baby penguins and killing them with the Pelagornis

Pelagornis's are probably the weakest flier in general use,but if you live next to a river the pela can basicly supply you with infinite amounts of fish,they can also get large amounts of organic polymore from baby kairuku. If you live anywhere close to water that has fish in it,i suggest you get a pela,but if not argen/tapejara are the two best fliers for general use

3 hours ago, JovanMaxis said:

They can squeeze through a doorframe with a door attached, just as long as the door is opened IN.

The size of the pelagornis is one of my favorite things about mine. I *really* prefer to keep my animals inside, if at all possible, and being able to keep my girl inside my small starting Outpost gave me great peace of mind.

That's definitely a huge bonus I didn't think to mention.

You might find this video helpful if you have a few minutes.  I go over some of the uses for the Pelagornis, from quick and easy trips to gather organic polymer, to its extremely efficient gathering of fish meat (and why that will eventually become much more important)... as well as a few other more subtle uses you might not have considered.  

Perhaps more entertaining is the section on what current theory thinks real Pelagornis were actually like.

Is it able to kill surface jellyfish without getting zapped if you don't land? 

11 hours ago, Oggybobo said:

Thanks for the tip, this is a really great idea, I never thought to use the little guy for this.

Be careful though. I kited a Rex into my taming raft the other day and I had my meat, narcotics and spare tranq arrows in my Meso on my shoulder. The Rex couldn't hurt me by glitching through the walls (scary though it is) but he instantly knocked my Meso off me, through the side wall of my little room and into the sea. He then swam to shore and was promptly eaten even though I'm convinced I had him set to follow me. I had enough arrows on me to knock the Rex out and managed to farm enough poultry on the long trip home (Carno island to red Obs) to tame him without needing narcotics but that was more luck than judgement. 

Don't put anything too valuable in him.

People always seem to forget dinos come in tiers just like tools and building materials do.

if youre level 90 ofcourse a raptor is going to be off no use to you but dont forget you were once level 20 and you needed to scout.

by some peoples logic the prilmitive tools are useless to them now so they should just be taken out of the game or reworked? lets soo how that goes when you start a new character and dont have metal tools :)

evey dino has a use, some are a niche dino like the pelagornis, i hear people saying just use your theri to get the polymer but its far easier to fly a bird to the penguin island then it is to move cross the map with your theri and then swim to it.

Archived