The Pelagornis !?!

Carcajou

4 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

You might find this video helpful if you have a few minutes.  I go over some of the uses for the Pelagornis, from quick and easy trips to gather organic polymer, to its extremely efficient gathering of fish meat (and why that will eventually become much more important)... as well as a few other more subtle uses you might not have considered.  

Perhaps more entertaining is the section on what current theory thinks real Pelagornis were actually like.

The guy on the video is not selling me the pelagorn but a car. You can fly, swim and walk. Depending on what you need.  cough cough Diving. 

Make it dive cmon Dev you can do it .

7 hours ago, BobRoss said:

People always seem to forget dinos come in tiers just like tools and building materials do.

if youre level 90 ofcourse a raptor is going to be off no use to you but dont forget you were once level 20 and you needed to scout.

by some peoples logic the prilmitive tools are useless to them now so they should just be taken out of the game or reworked? lets soo how that goes when you start a new character and dont have metal tools :)

evey dino has a use, some are a niche dino like the pelagornis, i hear people saying just use your theri to get the polymer but its far easier to fly a bird to the penguin island then it is to move cross the map with your theri and then swim to it.

I totally agree with this, lots of dino's are super valuable to beginner players and then not so much later in the game.  A trike is one of the most valuable dino's in the game early on and now he just sits in my dino yard gathering dust.  I also agree using a Therizino who is amazing is alot more work than just flying to the glacier real quick for organic polymer...

@ranger1presents Great video. Loved the background info on the pelagornis. it is a pretty useful creature, and most of the dinos have a use. Some are more useful than others, and can't be used to their full potential in PVE, like the monkeys ability to pick locks and the kapros ability to pick up small dinos. Everyone has a different play style..

9 hours ago, Carcajou said:

The guy on the video is not selling me the pelagorn but a car. You can fly, swim and walk. Depending on what you need.  cough cough Diving. 

Make it dive cmon Dev you can do it .

Well my friend, I'm not selling anything.  Just offering information to make your own judgement as to whether the mount would be useful to you or not.

I'm not sure what purpose you think giving them a diving ability would achieve.  Since they are meant to be an early game tame midway between an Ptera and an Argy in speed, with specialized harvesting capabilities and an eye towards being handy for ocean or shore based tribes, what other capability are you proposing to give up to justify giving it an ability to dive?  What exactly do you think you would achieve beyond the initial cool factor? 

38 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

Well my friend, I'm not selling anything.  Just offering information to make your own judgement as to whether the mount would be useful to you or not.

I'm not sure what purpose you think giving them a diving ability would achieve.  Since they are meant to be an early game tame midway between an Ptera and an Argy in speed, with specialized harvesting capabilities and an eye towards being handy for ocean or shore based tribes, what other capability are you proposing to give up to justify giving it an ability to dive?  What exactly do you think you would achieve beyond the initial cool factor? 

i dont think you understand how the game play out in pvp. Since the pteranodon is the most used tame, one of the most powerfull in pvp and the most easiest to breed and tame .1000 % more easier to tame and breed than a pelagornis.. The argument of the early game tame dont fit. 

I could see myself diving to get pearl in the multiple  pearl cave. Travelling from my water base to my base on volcano or any base high in the mountain. That just some of the thing i would be able to do if i could dive. 

38 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

What exactly do you think you would achieve beyond the initial cool factor? 

cool factor.... You lack imagination, game knowledge, initiative and you're simple minded.  

In your video it feel more like you're trying to sell me a pelagornis rather than informe me about the pelagornis in Ark.

Granted, it's not as easy to tame as a Ptera (as I pointed out), but neither does it require anything particularly advanced to tame either... only patience and a little thought.  We'll also have to see how the Ptera ends up on release, as currently it has some serious issues compared to the other fliers in the game, especially considering how easy it is to acquire at the moment.

It doesn't bother me at all that you have no need for a Pelagonis.  It's a very specialized harvester of Organic Polymer and Fish meat (which will become more in demand eventually), and as always there are alternative methods you can use.  Others do prefer to use them and find them to be an interesting mount for those purposes.

As a side note, while PVP can be amusing even in it's current unfinished state, not every creature is designed with PVP in mind.  Nor should they be.

That being said, even on a PVP server having a mount that can outrun everything except a Ptera can be handy to have around when you find yourself tapped on O. Polymer.

If it were given a diving ability it likely wouldn't be able to dive very deep, or for very long, to keep it true to it's roots.  A modern Albatross can dive about 5 meters or so.  As an air breather it would also head back to the surface as soon as you dismounted to do your pearl harvesting, so the only benefit you would receive is perhaps a faster trip down.  While it IS possible that before release the Pela will be given the ability to dive (anythings possible), but I wouldn't hold your breath. :)

12 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

i agree with everything you say except for the early game tame statement. Its saddle is for lvl 40 which imo is midgame. and all their uses are midgame to lategame aswell. Polymer is only required for the mid-late game. 

all your other points i agree on tho, i find it to be an extremely usefull tame and an interesting creature. :) i do wish they landed more on land tho :P

9 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

If it were given a diving ability it likely wouldn't be able to dive very deep, or for very long, to keep it true to it's roots

how would you know .

Crystal contain mushroom.

Purlovia was an herbivore.

Giga was light weight compare to the T-Rex. . Tyranosaurus was actually about 50% more heavier than the Giganotosaurus. Packing a bite more than 100 time stronger than the Giga and here in Ark BEHOLD the ark giga who do more than 400 % damage than a t-rex and more than 2 time bigger and is able to kill stone Elemental easily and able to destroy stone structure.

Obsidian as absolutely nothing to do with polymer or explosive.The only thing that we are actually doing with obsidian is scalpel and nothing else.

Why are you assuming that they would follow any grasp of the actual reality?? 

4 hours ago, Carcajou said:

how would you know .

Crystal contain mushroom.

Purlovia was an herbivore.

Giga was light weight compare to the T-Rex. . Tyranosaurus was actually about 50% more heavier than the Giganotosaurus. Packing a bite more than 100 time stronger than the Giga and here in Ark BEHOLD the ark giga who do more than 400 % damage than a t-rex and more than 2 time bigger and is able to kill stone Elemental easily and able to destroy stone structure.

Obsidian as absolutely nothing to do with polymer or explosive.The only thing that we are actually doing with obsidian is scalpel and nothing else.

Why are you assuming that they would follow any grasp of the actual reality?? 

Primarily because they just introduced the "shallow water" mechanic to the game with the Basilosaurus, which causes it to take damage if it dives too deep.  Many creatures in the game are due for a balance and modification pass before release, whereby many of the newer mechanics that have been recently developed can be applied to older creatures where it makes sense.  If WC decides the Pela needs a little bit more utility I can think of few creatures where it makes MORE sense than to make a sea bird restricted to shallow dives.  In fact, if it were restricted to shallow water dives I would consider raising my hand in favor of re balancing it with this ability.

If not though I can't say I would be in favor of an unlimited dive ability.  As overpowered as fliers are in general I don't think the game needs what would be the equivalent of a Flying Sub.

8 hours ago, BobRoss said:

i agree with everything you say except for the early game tame statement. Its saddle is for lvl 40 which imo is midgame. and all their uses are midgame to lategame aswell. Polymer is only required for the mid-late game. 

all your other points i agree on tho, i find it to be an extremely usefull tame and an interesting creature. :) i do wish they landed more on land tho :P

Fair point on the saddle at level 40.  Although Ghillie is actually level 35 (which is pretty quick and easy to attain), most folks would consider 35-40 to be getting at least close to the point of becoming mid game level.  It's massive ability to harvest fish meat is what will eventually make it useful for tribes just starting to hit the level 35-40 mark as more creatures are switched to preferring fish meat (In addition to the Baryonyx we will likely see the Spino, Sarco, most if not all sea creatures, possibly even the Ptera or Quetz eating fish).  I'll agree though that the Polymer capability makes it more important after that point.

In all fairness to it's fish gathering capability though, we may soon be seeing other creatures that specialize in harvesting fish more suited to beginner level characters.  We'll have to see what they end up doing with the Ichthyornis.

I love Pela's and they've overtaken Ptera's as my flyer of choice. The most pleasant mount to fly, smallest and least obtrusive, no need to worry about clipping a molecule of water and getting dismounted in a swarm of Mantas, don't auto fly when you hop on board (one of my most hated things), and lovely to just cruise around on. Tamed another 150 male and a 140 female just tonight to go with my other 150 male and 115 female. Just because they're not super zerg omg kill everything pvp totes amazeball kings, doesn't mean they're useless or pointless. I wish they'd hurry up and let us fish from them, then they'll be perfect.

On 3/11/2017 at 9:55 PM, Musketeer said:

It's one of those useless Ark creatures that you  don't use for anything else than eggs or just for the sake of having one. in the same list you can put:

- Allosaurus You have obviously never had a high end pack of allo's, I've seen them take down titan's......

- Angler

- Araneo

- Archaeopteryx

- Arthropluera Limited use, but their spit melts even riot gear in 1-2 hits, put them in narrow corridors to maximize their effectiveness

- Carno

- Compy

- Dilo

- Dimetrodon

- Dimorphodon

- Diplodocus Might be making a come back as a soaker now that the saddles for other soakers are nerfed

- Dodo Great to use for early game warnings

- Gallimamus Have you ever heard of a galli bomb?

- Kairuku

- Kapprosuchus

- Mesopithecus

- Moth Very limited use, but it helps with taming a titan and slowing one down to kill one

- Pachy

- Pachyrino Also helps with killing titan's as it drains stam really fast (can help with bronto's as well)

- Parasaur

- Scorpion

- Raptor

- Terror Bird

You could add some other creatures to this list.

Above creatures are really only good as pets or for eggs, not to actually use them for anything productive. Pelagornis fits right in there.

Certain ones on this list I disagree with, added them above.

10 hours ago, Carcajou said:

i read most of your post you're pretty useless in general.

Couldn't care less about you making a post with a random insult without backing it up at all. The community sees your opinion in a different light.

But you calling me useless still doesn't change the fact that you're wrong in your pro and con list by not researching properly.

Pelagornis does not have the worst health of all flying dinos.

Try again next time.

6 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Couldn't care less about you making a post with a random insult without backing it up at all. The community sees your opinion in a different light.

But you calling me useless still doesn't change the fact that you're wrong in your pro and con list by not researching properly.

Pelagornis does not have the worst health of all flying dinos.

Try again next time.

speaking of not backing up an argument. I ad to push you for any explanation or anything specific

You dont even explain or show what is wrong with my con and pro . You always do that, staying on the surface never risking anything. 

You say Pelagornis does not have the worst health of all flying dinos. OOOO sorry i should have said. He as with the pteranodon the worse health of any flyer Since they have the same base health. But he burn way more stamina. he is much slower. He is harder to tame and breed. He is insanely bad in any pvp situation. Fighting someone that as a pterano with a pelagornis is probably the worse thing that could happen to you when you are flying with a pelagornis. Probably would be safer to swim and hope he fail and drop in the water. If he does t well you die. So if there no water near you= You just die/ If there water you can maybe swim and hope that he fail and fall into the water. 

Am a go fishing a say that 99.9% of the player base would rather hatch a lv 300 ptera than a lv 300 pelagornis. Am pretty sure lv 300 hatch pelagornis dont even exist because 1 % of the player base tame them and 0.1% of the player base breed them

Anything else?  

My list of pro and con is very solid. Most people admit it and some try to justify the fact that he is an early tame...... But the ptera is also and early tame and he is the most tamed and breaded dino in the game so. HA! So there argument is irrelevant. Most of the people said that they tamed it for fun and i think it is pretty sad considering what could have been done.

Just saying if you could dive with the bird, There would a safe way out of any pvp situation. 

Also the people who said that he farm more fish that most dino are in the wrong. He does more damage to fish but he farm way less than a spino with the same melee. Also no fish prime.and now with the new croc that farm fish by himself........

That how you prove and argument.

2 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

I didn't say it's not solid. I said it's not 100% correct since you did not research properly.

You cannot say it has the worst health of all other flyers if it's en par with another.

If you have numbers: 1, 1, 3, 4, 8, 11 you cannot say the first 1 is mathematically the lowest of them.

Like i said you're pretty useless

On 3/13/2017 at 2:04 AM, ranger1presents said:

You might find this video helpful if you have a few minutes.  I go over some of the uses for the Pelagornis, from quick and easy trips to gather organic polymer, to its extremely efficient gathering of fish meat (and why that will eventually become much more important)... as well as a few other more subtle uses you might not have considered.  

Perhaps more entertaining is the section on what current theory thinks real Pelagornis were actually like.

seing you try to kill a penguin was pretty pathetic to be honest. it almost took you 1min and a half to kill one of them for 6 polymer and the other one that you kill did t give you any polymer .... I get more poly when i club them. 

On 3/16/2017 at 4:20 PM, Carcajou said:

seing you try to kill a penguin was pretty pathetic to be honest. it almost took you 1min and a half to kill one of them for 6 polymer and the other one that you kill did t give you any polymer .... I get more poly when i club them. 

Actually the Pelagornis is equally efficient at gathering Organic Polymer as a club (without the drawback of wearing out constantly), and of course the harvesting scene was done that way for comedic effect...

but you already knew that. :)

Archived