So, I finally came face to face with my sworn enemy.

LadyCrescent

So, I finally came face to face with my sworn enemy.

Yesterday was finally the day. After weeks, with the tension thick enough to cut with a knife, I finally came face to face with the thing I hate more than anything in Ark - the troodon.

After they were introduced on Xbox, I spent several days overhauling my base on Scorched Earth, to fence off all entrances and get my zombie wyverns behind locked walls...because I didn't know how aggressive these things were.

As it happens, perhaps because I've built in the mountains, or on the floating island respectively, in all three maps on Xbox, my anxious patrols, day after day never brought me face to face with this abomination.

I found my first three in my first game on PC. I spotted them down the beach a ways with my fabricated sniper, and felt my adrenaline spike a bit as I climbed onto a rock and opened fire, killing all three.

When I read about these things on the wiki, it had filled me with an entirely irrational fury and hate that no other creature in Ark ever has.

I'm a soft-hearted sort, generally, only killing if I'm being attacked, if I need meat, or if I'm actively training my pets.

The troodons? No, they weren't bothering me. They weren't near my base...I could have easily avoided them. I killed them because they were alive. Because I hate them.

All this unholy fury because of the wiki information about it, which suggests using baby wyverns as sacrifices to tame it.

Two animals on Xbox are untouchable, in my mind. I love my dimorphodons, and my wyverns...and I can't imagine using a baby as a sacrifice. I love all of my pets, and for me, I could never imagine deliberately doing anything to hurt them.

So the suggestion that I effectively murder my pets to bring home this ugly, inbred raptor-turkey really, really set me off. 

But, in an endeavor to overcome a reaction that I understand is irrational, I would ask the people who own troodons:

What in gods' name is the appeal of these stupid, small, ugly, overly-aggressive little abominations?

The wiki suggests that you use wyverns, gigas, rexes - Ark's most powerful endgame sorts of tames as sacrifices to a freaking troodon.

How is that a good exchange?

So, with my stance clearly stated - being so incensed that this thing eats baby wyverns that I grew determined to kill them on sight - I would ask the other side for their stance.

Troodon handlers; Why are these worth such a high cost to own?

Lmao. They're awful little bastards. I don't really have an issue with the taming mechanic, but they don't have a real use imo in PVE. Sure, they have the abilities like finding corpses, but it's a fairly limited range and you'd have to die, then fly back carrying a troodon lol...they're also a massive pain in the ass if you're on foot anywhere ever and not paying attention. 

I 100% argee with you Crescent, I really don't understand how loosing a giga or wyvern can be worth taming one of the smallest dinos in the game. I firmly believe that they should lower the needed dino to tame troodons, or just take them out of the game lmao. Many people would be in support of the second one! Lol hope this helps!

11 hours ago, Harrist14 said:

Lmao. They're awful little bastards. I don't really have an issue with the taming mechanic, but they don't have a real use imo in PVE

I called my hate irrational because most sane people aren't as attached to their pixelated pets as I am, lol. In my mind, taming an animal in Ark is sort of like adopting a real pet, inasmuch as I think of it as a "forever home" situation.

The idea of sacrificing an animal that I promised to protect is reprehensible to me. I wouldn't even sacrifice my egg-laying dodos for something like this.

11 hours ago, LeftyLegacy said:

I 100% argee with you Crescent, I really don't understand how loosing a giga or wyvern can be worth taming one of the smallest dinos in the game. I firmly believe that they should lower the needed dino to tame troodons, or just take them out of the game lmao. 

In a word, it can't possibly be worth it. I mean, if you're going to go to the trouble of seeking out high level wyvern eggs, I'm 110% positive that said high level wyvern will be endlessly more useful, no matter what game mode you're playing.

I would be fine seeing these things taken out of the game, because I despise their taming mechanic so much.

I play single player, and I wouldn't even cheat force tame a troodon.

9 hours ago, vanyelxp5 said:

There are 2 dinos that are KOS for me. Pegomastax, and Troodon. 

Well, I definitely agree with you there. I've articulated my issues with troodons, but pegomastaxes are a plague! I encountered them for the first time on PC too. I know the trick of keeping a couple of berries in your 0 slot, but I'm appalled by how many of those damn things are on my beach. I've gotten in the habit of shooting them on sight too, lol.

The fabricated sniper is expensive to make and maintain, but I swear by it as a problem solver for the recently added ugly ankle-biters. ?

Troodons are amazing fun as a trolling animal. We play in the center map, and recently released a swarm of 20 of them around level 310 onto south tropical island on aggressive wander. So so many dead bobs its amazing, and it keeps the noob islands free of nakeds so we can sit on the beach and fish in peace. Troodons have an extremely fast breed and maturation time so you only really need a male and a female to make a swarm of them. Wyverns are ez mode both finding and raising them its no big deal sacrificing one but that attitude isnt for everyone so w/e

6 hours ago, Rock989 said:

\Troodons are amazing fun as a trolling animal. We play in the center map, and recently released a swarm of 20 of them around level 310 onto south tropical island on aggressive wander. So so many dead bobs its amazing, and it keeps the noob islands free of nakeds so we can sit on the beach and fish in peace. Troodons have an extremely fast breed and maturation time so you only really need a male and a female to make a swarm of them. Wyverns are ez mode both finding and raising them its no big deal sacrificing one but that attitude isnt for everyone so w/e

I don't like trolling noobs (but more power too ya). I had a similar idea for defense/deterance, block off mos the entrances into the valley where my base is, then kite or lift a bunch of wild troodons (and maybe snakes too) into the area, essentially create moat of nasty dinos to deal with around my base. Of course anyone who could get in has the capability to kill troodons, but the level of dislike/hatred for dealing with them is an additional layer of pain in the butt to get to my stuff. I regularly see packs of 4-6 just hanging on the beaches so seems lit would be easy enough to do.

7 hours ago, Rock989 said:

Troodons are amazing fun as a trolling animal. We play in the center map, and recently released a swarm of 20 of them around level 310 onto south tropical island on aggressive wander. So so many dead bobs its amazing, and it keeps the noob islands free of nakeds so we can sit on the beach and fish in peace.

And this is exactly why I play single player. From the first days of Ark's existence the idea of playing this game with other people sounded awful.

I'm just not cut out for the cutthroat BS that dominates public servers. I come from (an extreme minority) school of thought that would prefer to help newcomers get their footing. I'm an idealist whose perfect vision for a public server is one where everyone helped each other with the goal of enjoying the game together.

You don't have to spend long on these forums to fully grasp how hilariously impossible that vision is.

However, I offer no judgment. I understand the social climate of public servers makes an open-armed welcome incredibly naïve.

But citing troodon's use as a trolling tool doesn't do anything to abate my pure hatred of them, lol.

5 minutes ago, LilNastyGurl said:

How OP hates Troodons I hate Dire Wolves.

Mostly because I saw them group up and wipe out so many coveted 150 Tames. Wooly Rhino? dead. Sheep? dead. Argent, Mammoth (not really but woulda been nice as a base decor) and Chalico.

That and they are the most obnoxious pest on Scorched and PGAs

See, i love the dire wolves. It's not hard to wipe out the lower level ones... and they're not super hard to tame the high level ones.

9 minutes ago, vanyelxp5 said:

See, i love the dire wolves. It's not hard to wipe out the lower level ones... and they're not super hard to tame the high level ones.

Okay, not exactly the same. I meant the intensity, not the cause. Dire Wolves aren't Trood-level difficult, however with their nice movement speed and good damage output you can guarantee that they aren't going to be a joke-fight like with Dimetrodons where strafing to the left spells its end. 

That, and the "Oh lord it's a 150 Procopto-dead. Dead. Wow wolves, that didn't take long." moments.

1 hour ago, Rhinenorr said:

Pego stole my ascendant flak pants with naked suit on them from my inventory JUST as I switched to scuba. Troodon knocked me out as I'm trying to chase it with flippers on. I was more angry about that than losing some quetzs to trolls. Rip blurry nether region.

Ouch...hit by both ugly ankle-biters at once, that sucks. I'm just waiting for the day a pegomastax nabs my gun so I can't just shoot it in the back of the head as it runs away with my belongings.

I never had to contend with either of them until I made the move to PC...but I'm becoming increasingly aware by the day what an awful idea pegomastaxes are. I've found I can thwart one by keeping two or three berries in my 0 slot, but when you get jumped by two or three...ugh. They're a plague.

But even so, I'd rather have to chase them down than share territory with troodons. Between the way I don't know if they'll attack my outdoor critters, the eminent butt-kicking that will likely happen if I don't see them first, and my single-minded obsession with exterminating them on the occasions where I have seen them first, I'm exhausted of their existence.

I'd happily accept double the pegomastax population in exchange for the full extinction of those little bastards.

12 hours ago, Rhinenorr said:

Pego stole my ascendant flak pants with naked suit on them from my inventory JUST as I switched to scuba. Troodon knocked me out as I'm trying to chase it with flippers on. I was more angry about that than losing some quetzs to trolls. Rip blurry nether region.

So I am not the only one they steal pants from! Everyone on the island server jokes about it, they think I am kidding, but I have lost my pants to pegos on at least 10 occasions. Both in SE and the island. I did not know troodons were on SE until I killed one. Thought it was an archa at first. Then saw the you're 190 wyvern killed level 64 troodon Those spawn here? I have not seen anymore since so... maybe a bug spawn? But I am keeping my eye open for more. So I can eliminate them.

The worst experience I've had with a Pego involved me knocking out a high level pteranodon to tame and then the DireWolf snatching the kibble from me out of nowhere.  Killed the little DireWolf and he didn't even have it anymore.  I was max level when the troodons came out and they haven't really bothered me one bit.  The only creature i truly hate in ark is the arthropluera.  It's often not even a good idea to murder them on sight since even on midsized mounts they always seem to damage my armor.  I hate them.... soooooo.... much....

I want to like troodons more but they aren't really that useful.  In one of the digests they mentioned potentially being able to carry around a troodon on your shoulder.  I think they'd need to shrink it down a bit to do that but having a tracking beast on your shoulder would be pretty cool imo.  I've murdered so many baby dinos by this point when their breeding stats turned out poorly - Feeding them to troodons moments after hatching doesn't seem any worse to me than getting bludgeoned to death moments after birth by what they must assume is their mother.

The taming mechanic does feel downright evil, which is why I haven't tried to tame any Troodons yet myself. Really though I suppose it's no different than slaughtering your tamed sheep for mutton. I might just suck it up and use Gigas as taming food for these guys. Not because it's a good trade, obviously. I just hate Gigas as much as the OP hates Troodons.

These guys do intrigue me though. It seems like there's more to them than meets the eye. As much as people fear the ones in the wild, I imagine that a pack of high-level breeds would be able to wipe out a whole tribe armed to the teeth with ascendant gear in a fashion similar to what the raptors did against the soldiers in the grass scene of The Lost World.

Archived