Current Game Status - Unplayable (Lag)

Thalantyr

Current Game Status - Unplayable (Lag)

Hi there,

ARK is an awesome game. No doubts there. However, it has some serious latency/code issues. I'm not entirely sure on what it is but it's a BIG problem.

Today we had 56/70 on our server. Most of them were newer players with small shacks, etc. The server lag started to kick in and the game started to become unplayable. That was probably around the 40-player mark. In all of our wisdom we decided to spawn the Dragon boss fight. More people logged in, no raiding happening, peaceful harmony. Let's just say the boss fight was an absolute joke. Bullets hit markers were coming up 60-90 seconds AFTER we'd fired them. The entire fight bugged out, we lost our stuff (no big deal) and morale was low.

A chat after the failed boss fight called for something to change. Unfortunately doing what I'm doing now and crying on the forums doesn't seem to help the situation as this has been ongoing for quite a while now. It's not a video lag problem because the problem doesn't really kick in until 40+ players are on the server. We had a chat about it and basically the decision was made that we need to start moving people off the server and stopping incoming players. It's the quick-fix answer until Wildcard can address the issue. I'm all for this quick-fix but it's also really sad as our server has been really accommodating to newer players for a long time but it's now starting to affect gameplay by them just purely being on the server, whether they have a huge base or a small 1x1 cottage.

What is the long term answer here? I keep seeing performance improvements from WC but the game seems to be in a worse state now than it was 6 months ago performance wise.

If it makes you feel better, unless you and I are on the same server Thal ours has had to start functioning the same way. A small group of allianced tribes that are alphas have gotten tired of new people coming into the server and lagging it the hell out. Realistically this is wildcards problem to fix but this alliance has begun to run gigas/titanosaur through all the upstarts bases to grief them off the server. As much as I don't like the tactic, unless wildcard actually puts the effort into fixing their garbage servers people will continue to be driven off in this way to preserve the gameplay of those who came first to the server and have stayed.

6 hours ago, Velarius said:

but this alliance has begun to run gigas/titanosaur through all the upstarts bases to grief them off the server. As much as I don't like the tactic, unless wildcard actually puts the effort into fixing their garbage servers people will continue to be driven off in this way to preserve the gameplay of those who came first to the server and have stayed.

and that's pretty much my point. Wildcard are leaving this in the hands of the players, to fix a network/latency/performance issue, by ruining the gameplay of new players. Unless they're going to have servers for new players and servers for veterans, which would never really work, then I feel really sorry for anyone coming into this game because they're going to be griefed worse than they ever have before. It's really sad, but necessary.

7 hours ago, Wonkeyedan said:

it is sad i like seeing the server popping and all the drama that comes with populated servers

Once a server starts to gain some population it explodes because people see it as a ripe, fun server, but then it becomes worse. I assume this contributes to why Wildcard has never cut the amount of servers and consolidated them into less, more populated servers, because the servers/code just can't handle it. The problems are being masked by the fact that most of the servers run quite low population.

Archived