How do you get a mutation

Herobrinescouz

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Brachiosaurous said:

Are you sure Ive bread tons of offspring thyla and now I nearly have a rainbow of thylas 

Yes, obviously if you're breeding with mutated ones you're either going to get that mutation passed down or potentially a new one, but the key part of your mutations is "tons", not "offspring". You'd be just as likely to get the initial mutations using a freshly tamed pair each time 

59 minutes ago, Harrist14 said:

Yes, oIviously if you're breeding with  mutated ones you're either going to get that mutation passed down or potentially a new one, but the key part of your mutations is "tons", not "offspring". You'd be just as likely to get the initial mutations using a freshly tamed pair each time 

I Already know that but They are saying that you cant get mutations from inbreeding though i did lol daughters with fathers 

To break down the overall synopsis:

1. Luck and repetition are key

2. Prior mutations and 'generations' have no impact on the chance of NEW mutations occurring.

3. Inbreeding only impacts breeding through longer breeding cooldowns, which can be pretty significant on its own.

Most common approach to mass breeding for mutations involve either raising large numbers of female dinos or trying to maintain a non-inbreeding pattern to maximize the frequency of breedings, the former is better for those that set aside a specific day out of their week to do breedings, while the later is better suited to those that can tank more time into ark for long periods of time.

9 hours ago, Brachiosaurous said:

I Already know that but They are saying that you cant get mutations from inbreeding though i did lol daughters with fathers 

Nobody said that, if you properly read what I said, it was that inbreeding does not increase your chance of mutations, not that you can't get mutations with inbreeding...I think that's fairly obvious, because that wouldn't make any sense

It's a flat 2.5% chance to get a mutated animal. Level, location, inbreeding, prior mutations etc do not have any affect. To get mutations you have to breed a lot of animals. The more animals you breed, the more likely you are to get a mutation from sheer numbers. Keep as many females as possible and just keep breeding them over and over again until you get the results you want.

1 hour ago, Kushoholic said:

We have breeded now about 100-150 eggs. And we only got 2 random mutations ever. A pink belly megalosaurus, and a boneskined t-rex.

Its the best to buy some mutated eggs and go on with them. 

Breed and trade, repeat

You said you got a boneskin rex? as a mutation?.. Also to increase your chance of getting a mutation you have to breed with the family line.. Yup inbreeding.. 

On 10/3/2017 at 0:35 PM, Herobrinescouz said:

How do you get a mutation

So I was wondering when you are playing ark how do you get a mutated dino. I've seen these mutated dinos but i dont know how to get them.

When u breed and they dont come out with mutation keep all the females - kill the males (unless u get a special one),
You want as many females as possible, wiki says its 2.5% chance, I'm not sure how accurate that is though (because its edited by the public.)

We've been breeding thylas for example (on official).,... we have 25-30 female thylas that we breed with 1 male and are getting around 4-5 mutations each time we get them all pregnant.
If you get a good stat male, swap your males, if you get a good stat female you have to start all over or keep using the same females if u just want colors.

7 hours ago, McCluskeyy said:

You said you got a boneskin rex? as a mutation?.. Also to increase your chance of getting a mutation you have to breed with the family line.. Yup inbreeding.. 

Sht no. Thats not what I meant. I might have wrote the wrong thing I meant. We got one with the skincolor of lile bones or something. Greyish brownish. 

I can not approve that inbreeding increases the chances of mutations. As example: all mutation we got "naturally" random (without an egg that already had several mutations), were from the ones we didn't inbreed. And just 1, lil bit inbreeded mutation, which is a mutation on the tamed side, not the bred-side.

Also idk how that happened but we hatched 4 ankylo eggs yesterday, 2 were garbage, but the other 2 were twins. 1 pair of twins has blue spikes and the other pair has red spikes. Also mutated on the tamed side, not the breedline-side.  Inbreed does not help, but that is just my expirience so far. 

Color mutations are rare, so rare that people keep inbreeding the same color mut over and over again until they have 72/mutations. But all are the same and the chance pretty good he gets one of these mutations, and if, they will breed him with his mother and the son has then 144 mutations. Still all the same. I think this is part of the "inbreeds are good" problem 

16 hours ago, Kushoholic said:

Sht no. Thats not what I meant. I might have wrote the wrong thing I meant. We got one with the skincolor of lile bones or something. Greyish brownish. 

I can not approve that inbreeding increases the chances of mutations. As example: all mutation we got "naturally" random (without an egg that already had several mutations), were from the ones we didn't inbreed. And just 1, lil bit inbreeded mutation, which is a mutation on the tamed side, not the bred-side.

Also idk how that happened but we hatched 4 ankylo eggs yesterday, 2 were garbage, but the other 2 were twins. 1 pair of twins has blue spikes and the other pair has red spikes. Also mutated on the tamed side, not the breedline-side.  Inbreed does not help, but that is just my expirience so far. 

Color mutations are rare, so rare that people keep inbreeding the same color mut over and over again until they have 72/mutations. But all are the same and the chance pretty good he gets one of these mutations, and if, they will breed him with his mother and the son has then 144 mutations. Still all the same. I think this is part of the "inbreeds are good" problem 

Honestly Inbreeding improves your chance by 2.5%. Mutations are hard too get.

This is by far the best YouTube video I've found on the topic:

He also explains breeding in a way that's super easy to understand in the part 1 video that you can probably find on the right column. The linked video is mostly focused on getting stat mutations over color mutations. But in general, from what I've read, it's a 2.5% chance to get a random mutation. I've only gotten about 5 or so of my OWN unique mutations and I've been avidly breeding since after the Valentine's Day event. Just keep at it, it can get super discouraging but you will eventually land something awesome (like my Yoshi raptors :D).

Let's all say it together:

IMBREEDING HAS NO IMPACT ON MUTATION CHANCES.

Any dinosaur pairing has the same 2.5% chance of producing a mutation, no matter if they were both freshly tamed or a heavily domesticated pair with a dozen mutations already on each side, it's a FLAT 2.5% chance of producing a NEW mutation.  This has been proven over and over again many times by several sources, there is no game mechanic right now that recognizes "imbreeding" or factors how related two dinosaurs are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

you have a higher chance of mutations if your dinos are uuuuhhh.....mating with family members.....incest gives them mutations. I was repeatedly breeding baryonyxes last night, and kept getting more and more mutations when I kept breeding them to their parents and siblings. first time I tried, I got a mutation cause I bred the offspring to daddy. 

8 minutes ago, kaotez said:

you have a higher chance of mutations if your dinos are uuuuhhh.....mating with family members.....incest gives them mutations. I was repeatedly breeding baryonyxes last night, and kept getting more and more mutations when I kept breeding them to their parents and siblings. first time I tried, I got a mutation cause I bred the offspring to daddy. 

Wrong.

It's known that inbreeding does not increase chance for a mutation. It's a consistent 2% chance for a mutation to occur as far as I know.

Archived