Hostile tribe on PvE. Advice please.

windnsea

Hostile tribe on PvE. Advice please.

Hi all,

If this is in the wrong forum mods please move.

I play on an official PlayStation PvE. I moved to Herbivore Island weeks ago when I got tired of Theros falling from the cliff above me into my base. I have been building my new base and working on taming new dinos, only occasionally seeing the few other tribes who have bases there or other players at all.

The morning after the rollback this new tribe appeared on the island with a large stone base, Rex, Spinos, Argy, etc. and had put pillars on much of the island. I didn't confront them or say anything about it in global chat.

Last night I was working around the base when 2 or 3 of their tribe members came over a low wall and tried to declare war and demanded that I fight for my space on the island or they were going to run a bronto through my base. I told them to leave -  this went on for a while.

There was some discussion in global chat about who was there first, other tribes came to my defense in chat and a tribe gifted me a Carno to protect my base.

The tribe harassing me eventually went away and this morning when I logged on everything seemed fine so I sailed out to forage and try to tame a Raptor.

While I was out I got a notice that a level 130 bronto had killed one of my tames and then another. By the time I sailed back the attack was over but my base was damaged, the surviving tames very injured and a bunch of stuff destroyed. While I was starting repairs I discovered members of the tribe who had threatened me the day before looting the eggs from my base.

I can only assume it was this tribe that agro'd the bronto since they had threatened me the day before and the wild brontos stop around my base all day and don't bother me or the tames.

Most of my base is open and built terraced into the hillside so it would have been easy for them to fly in or hop over fences to attack the bronto from inside my base. I didn't think I would have to build a fortified base due to the location.

Other than enclosing my entire base as a stone structure, or moving, what do you all suggest I do?

I play PvE not PvP and that is how I wish to play; against the environment, not other players.

I did file a report through the game.

Any advice is appreciated. TIA

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, gMacc916 said:

On Herbivore island all your dines should have been on passive. Nothing would have hurt them if that was the case.

I believe the 2 that were killed were set to passive. Could they have been caught in the crossfire so to speak?

The carno and 1 dilo (because I had just taken it hunting earlier in the day and forgot to reset it during the hubbub) were on neutral.

If everything is on passive and someone kites a Dino into the base they won't take damage?

37 minutes ago, DinoMinions said:

Start building in metal if you really want to stay there. Sounds like you are a long way from that right now so just remember that bronto's go both ways.

Thanks I've been saving my engram points for saddles and weapons, but do have some blueprints for metal structures. 

I would like to stay I like the island, it's got excellent resources and easy access to the mainland; and the night is less dark and full of Theros.

Hopefully karma will catch up with them...or a pack of troodons.

28 minutes ago, windnsea said:

I believe the 2 that were killed were set to passive. Could they have been caught in the crossfire so to speak?

The carno and 1 dilo (because I had just taken it hunting earlier in the day and forgot to reset it during the hubbub) were on neutral.

If everything is on passive and someone kites a Dino into the base they won't take damage?

They'll still take damage, the people would just have to sit there and take hits (or avoid them, but still repeatedly aggro it) to get your stuff killed because the bronto wouldn't aggro to it, it would just be collateral as they swung at whoever was trying to mess with you. 

10 minutes ago, MattRobinson said:

You have two options really, either convert your whole base to stone and keep your dinosaurs inside or change servers. Personally recommend you change servers if you're looking for a decent PVE server on PS4 try 666, ask for Hidden Leaf

Thank you I may look at the transfer. I'm working on converting everything to stone right now. I'm not super confident in a server transfer but maybe it's because I haven't done it before. Honestly there aren't any dinos I've tamed I couldn't start over with, I'd like to keep the carno. But it's taken me some time to collect the saddles, weapons, etc. 

Which obelisk is the safest to travel to with  herbivore tames?

That wouldn't be hard for the assholes to survive if they had rexes and spinos. In that case putting everything on passive just ensures that everything dies.

You have 3 options.

1. Move. Which I don't recommend, because it will only encourage those idiots to act worse. Few things are more annoying than PvE'ers who think they own the server. Under no circumstances should you and the other players on the server allow them to take over the entirety of herbie island for themselves! This will make things much worse. It will stroke their ego, make them feel secure and powerful. If nothing else, keep some stone pillars there leading from inland down into the deep water so they can't easily encircle the island with behemoth gates.
  2. Build out of stone. It must be done. Herbivore Island is a titan spawn so unless someone has killed that spawn with foundations or ceilings, everyone with a base on that island will have to build out of metal in order to be completely safe from a titan attack.
  3. Fight back. Doesn't sound like PvE, does it? Welp, that is the Ark devs for you. Many people are quite irritated with them for many reasons. I have always been against counter-griefing, but there are times when it is the only option (because I never consider vacating a spot that is rightfully mine to be an option), not just to protect yourself and/or other players but also to try to teach the assholes a lesson. That they can't flippin' do whatever they want and get away with it. That there ARE consequences for their actions regardless of what the devs say. But if you choose this option, you have to commit fully; if they figure out someone is counter-griefing, they may step up their game regardless of whether they know who it is. If they figure out it's you, you are of course so much dead meat. Most PvE players never get to the point where they consider this as it's a pretty serious thing to do, but once you've been playing for a really long time and seen a lot of crap like this, you no longer tolerate it. What it all comes down to is you or them. There's no reasoning or negotiating with obnoxious in-your-face griefers like those. Someone is going to get wiped and you have to choose who it is going to be.

Have others help you kite a bunch of dinos onto their base. With others help you may be able to drive them off your server if they get enough pushback. They are bullies and need to be taught a lesson. Have others report them as well. If enough people report their behavior with evidence of the deliberate kiting (make sure to take pics of them doing the kiting and a video would also help) the devs are more likely to do something. We has some chinese do the same thing to our base on SE at the beginning of the year. Enough people spoke up and fought back, and we haven't seen them fortunately in the past two months. I'm hoping they were banned but no word from WC about that. 

Good Luck!

On 05.03.2017 at 6:25 AM, windnsea said:

I've been saving my engram points for saddles and weapons, but do have some blueprints for metal structures.

don't save your engrams for weapons and saddles. especially on weapons (some rare saddles can be hard to get). you can get them easy as bps of same quality or even better from supply boxes. spend your points on stone structures, there is no way to get them as bps.

oh. and in case you never had a good wall - never place stone/metal walls on wooden fence foundations! better place metal foundations first and place any walls (wood/stone) on them and upgrade later

build everything metal including behemoth gates, get ya a nice rex and a nice lightening wyvern<-- and titan is no option plus stocks you on prime :) or like nim said foundations pillars ceilings will kill that spawn too, i live on herb island and so far so good, just stick with it. you will be okay.. only so much they can do on pve if you are really protected..especially on herb!

5 hours ago, [EG] Comdriver W31 said:

don't save your engrams for weapons and saddles. especially on weapons (some rare saddles can be hard to get). you can get them easy as bps of same quality or even better from supply boxes. spend your points on stone structures, there is no way to get them as bps.

oh. and in case you never had a good wall - never place stone/metal walls on wooden fence foundations! better place metal foundations first and place any walls (wood/stone) on them and upgrade later

I noticed I hadn't seen any bp for stone. Thanks for the tips about bp. I have gotten some good ones, but I swear every yellow and purple drop that comes down near my base is mostly bp for water jars and crop plots!

About saving my engrams, I should have been more clear, I'm just not spending them on everything, just what I need as I go. Playing on my own non-dedicated server first was useful for that I think, I hope :).

Thanks for the fence tip! Thankfully I had learned all stone structures, now it's just a matter of time and resources to convert everything and redesign the base - lesson learned function first always.

I feel like I'm ages from getting metal structures as collecting chitin/keratin on the server I am on has been a challenge. I have sailed all over the map where I know trilobites should be, camped for several game days and seen none. Carbonemys have become my main resource for keratin but it's a crap shoot as to whether they will drop any or not.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

I seem to remember pillar bombing areas was frowned upon at some point, can't find it in the rules though.

Kiting being the new "fad" is pretty crumby, especially for this instance. Especially after trying to declare war on you, yet it's PvE, and they can simply stop being possessive raptors... Should open up a ticket anyway, especially if you've got screens of the previous conversations, and them looting your eggs if they were dropped from chests and such.

That'd constitute exploiting simply because they've kited a dino in, and they're taking everything that got dropped from it being broken on the PvE server because you won't declare war.

49 minutes ago, Spagotto7 said:

build everything metal including behemoth gates, get ya a nice rex and a nice lightening wyvern<-- and titan is no option plus stocks you on prime :) or like nim said foundations pillars ceilings will kill that spawn too, i live on herb island and so far so good, just stick with it. you will be okay.. only so much they can do on pve if you are really protected..especially on herb!

The lightning wyverns are so cool! On our non dedicated server sessions my daughter and I have been playing in SE and we (well mostly she) just hatched/raised our first one there.

As a solo player I think it will be tough to get one on my own but maybe I'll get lucky and be able to trade for one at some point.

18 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

I seem to remember pillar bombing areas was frowned upon at some point, can't find it in the rules though.

Kiting being the new "fad" is pretty crumby, especially for this instance. Especially after trying to declare war on you, yet it's PvE, and they can simply stop being possessive raptors... Should open up a ticket anyway, especially if you've got screens of the previous conversations, and them looting your eggs if they were dropped from chests and such.

That'd constitute exploiting simply because they've kited a dino in, and they're taking everything that got dropped from it being broken on the PvE server because you won't declare war.

I didn't hear anything back on my original ticket but I also didn't have any screenshots, I will take some tonight though because the pillar bombing and the 'warning' signs have gotten ridiculous. 

Problem is if your base is big enough to have dinos spawn within the walls people try to kite em to your dinos. I feel your pain, our server has 2 jerks on it that always kite stuff. hopefully your on a sea side and have enough land to make a fence foundation wall or behemoth gates. Ironicly enough this happen on our server :P one guy took over all of herb island. All the main tribes left it alone so that people could build there and move once they were stable enough.

1 hour ago, windnsea said:

I feel like I'm ages from getting metal structures as collecting chitin/keratin on the server I am on has been a challenge. I have sailed all over the map where I know trilobites should be, camped for several game days and seen none. Carbonemys have become my main resource for keratin but it's a crap shoot as to whether they will drop any or not.

I'd recommend getting a wolf and heading to the South Cave. It's better to go with a group, if you can, especially if your wolf isn't high level. But there are spiders and scorpions down there and you'll get lots of chitin from them. There are also titanoboas and arthropleura and sometimes megalosaurus (I'm not sure if those are on PS4 yet? I'm PC), so be careful.

And metal isn't too hard to get once you can tame an anky. There are metal nodes all over - I think maybe even some on herbi? I don't go there much, but I think I remember someone else on my server saying they go there for their metal. If none there, then there are a few on the small mountain in South 1 and it's generally a safe location. Just set up a forge and you'll be all set!

On 05/03/2017 at 2:09 PM, windnsea said:

Thank you I may look at the transfer. I'm working on converting everything to stone right now. I'm not super confident in a server transfer but maybe it's because I haven't done it before. Honestly there aren't any dinos I've tamed I couldn't start over with, I'd like to keep the carno. But it's taken me some time to collect the saddles, weapons, etc. 

Which obelisk is the safest to travel to with  herbivore tames?

Sorry for the incredibly late response, I was not able to post of the forums for some reason. Safest. Obelisk would be red but you can use loot drops to transfer too.

Archived