My experience of this game so far and why you shouldnt buy it

Razhty

My experience of this game so far and why you shouldnt buy it

Since i started playing this game, we started on a pvp server, along with my guild, the first week we set up a base, then the alpha tribe of the server came up and told us we were not allowed to set up base there because it didnt look pretty...

on the second week we moved to a diferent server where we got raided by people with rifles and whatever while we still had stone hatchets though spent lot of time taming dinos which of course now rest in peace...

third week we moved to another server set up a full base fully functional and bunch of dinos, another guy came broke the door lured alllllll of the dinos into the sea and drowned them ,

we then decided to go to a pve since it seemed pvp was infested by chinesse raiders along with people with no lifes so called alpha tribes, people who have something to do other than spend 20 hours a day have no chance at a game as unbalanced as this. so anyways we began building in a pve server now we knew how the taming kibbles and everything worked, busted our asses getting stuff together since we had some days off last couple days and now they decide since they are too lazy to review case by case item issues regarding theyr servers, idc if you want to blame it on amazon or whatever, it is your system it is your fault there was the chance for a problem of that sort, so you just go ahead and throw a 30 hours or more rollback and tell people play more we will give you 50% faster nothing, Seriously this is spitting in our faces. 

In full agreement don't buy this game if it can be avoided. Not worth the $50-75 on ps4 if you buy the DLC had so many bugs destroying half my poop, restarted multiple times due to said bugs, moved servers multiple times due to "alpha tribe" twats this on PVE btw where you can still passively steal and destroy other players stuff by ways of luring. Tribal ownership system is raptored lost a WYVERN transferring servers invited my other server tribemate to our new tribe and game decided to unclaim the dragon from him, theres was no tribe! Multiple birds flown and stuck into barrier of their own accords stuck. Don't try SCORCHED because PVE is essentially PVP where you need to build an entire base in ADOBE so you don't burn in hell yet 1 whack from a rock golem will demolish the whole structure, no no have to build in metal which doesnt work with the heat or the expense metal bases cost to make. ROCK GOLEM LURING raptorING HELL FIX THIS on PVE its OP can not do anything to protect from other tribes luring them unless your willing to build in METAL nothing can kill a golem not even another golem WHY BOTHER TAMING THIS CREATURE FOR VERY EXPENSIVE CANNONBALLS. Sure sure don't play on scorched but players can pull the exact same stunts with a giga or alpha rex. Negate agro other tribes dinos/bases.

The final nail in the coffin as to why you should not buy this game 24 hour reset without warning, we just finished building our big base, electronics, grill, forges,  tamed 2 sheep and gained a lot of good stuff from loot crates, someone on our server Tamed a giga and nope nope all gone undone. The developers don't give a flying raptor about the community don't give them your money.

This game is very fun and addictive concept, its unfortunate that it just feels like the developers don't give a toss about how much effort actually goes into playing this game. Its not a casual 20-30min session like if you were to play an fps its a survival game taking 5+hours easy at a time over weeks to get a decent base up and running. Its treated like oh well just start over thats the game, no its bad game mechanics. Its bad enough the community can grief us on PVE then the developer goes ahead and does it big raptor YOU. A lot of people have JOBS and SCHOOL we can't be on 24/7 to waste our time to man a pvp base or watch out on PVE for GIGA/ALPHA REX/GOLEM/WYVERN lurings to our weeks/months of work  WAKE THE raptor UP ARK CREATORS

To be honest while this game has a lot of long standing issues that have yet to be resolved, its newest rival Age of Conan is far worse in terms of developers. Its been over a month and yet they are releasing now patches every 1-2 weeks. When ARK was first released they were releasing fixes/patches everyday, sometimes multiple in one day.

3 hours ago, Razhty said:

Since i started playing this game, we started on a pvp server, along with my guild, the first week we set up a base, then the alpha tribe of the server came up and told us we were not allowed to set up base there because it didnt look pretty...

Ok, this is not a reason to not buy a game. It's a PVP server, people PVP. It's not the game's fault you picked a server that has crappy players. 

on the second week we moved to a diferent server where we got raided by people with rifles and whatever while we still had stone hatchets though spent lot of time taming dinos which of course now rest in peace...

Once again, not the game's fault for the crappy players. 

third week we moved to another server set up a full base fully functional and bunch of dinos, another guy came broke the door lured alllllll of the dinos into the sea and drowned them ,

Same thing, not the game's fault.

they are too lazy to review case by case item issues regarding theyr servers

Do you even know how many people play this game, how many servers there are, how many people transfer/upload stuff? Too many to manually check each and every one of them for sure. 

It really sucks to see that there are people like you out there that judge a game by the random poopty players that are here and there. I can assure you that not every server out there is full of assholes, just gotta find the right one. :)

57 minutes ago, BulletForce said:

To be honest while this game has a lot of long standing issues that have yet to be resolved, its newest rival Age of Conan is far worse in terms of developers. Its been over a month and yet they are releasing now patches every 1-2 weeks. When ARK was first released they were releasing fixes/patches everyday, sometimes multiple in one day.

Yea, ARK used to release a lot of patches back in the days when they didn't have this much. Now they have 2 DLCs, a bunch of different types of servers, transferring system, more stuff to work on. ARK on PC, xbox, PS4. Wildcard is not a huge company that can work on all this stuff quick. If you take a look at all the old patches, most of these many patches that were released were small fixes/updates after a major patch, which they still do and let's not forget that sometimes, some of the things they do, they don't even add on the patch notes. 

It's not like they're lazy and not working on stuff, they just have a lot to work on and they focus on what needs to be done and what's more important I guess, but that's just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Sassbre said:

In full agreement don't buy this game if it can be avoided. Not worth the $50-75 on ps4 if you buy the DLC had so many bugs destroying half my poop, restarted multiple times due to said bugs, moved servers multiple times due to "alpha tribe" twats this on PVE btw where you can still passively steal and destroy other players stuff by ways of luring. Tribal ownership system is raptored lost a WYVERN transferring servers invited my other server tribemate to our new tribe and game decided to unclaim the dragon from him, theres was no tribe! Multiple birds flown and stuck into barrier of their own accords stuck. Don't try SCORCHED because PVE is essentially PVP where you need to build an entire base in ADOBE so you don't burn in hell yet 1 whack from a rock golem will demolish the whole structure, no no have to build in metal which doesnt work with the heat or the expense metal bases cost to make. ROCK GOLEM LURING raptorING HELL FIX THIS on PVE its OP can not do anything to protect from other tribes luring them unless your willing to build in METAL nothing can kill a golem not even another golem WHY BOTHER TAMING THIS CREATURE FOR VERY EXPENSIVE CANNONBALLS. Sure sure don't play on scorched but players can pull the exact same stunts with a giga or alpha rex. Negate agro other tribes dinos/bases.

The final nail in the coffin as to why you should not buy this game 24 hour reset without warning, we just finished building our big base, electronics, grill, forges,  tamed 2 sheep and gained a lot of good stuff from loot crates, someone on our server Tamed a giga and nope nope all gone undone. The developers don't give a flying raptor about the community don't give them your money.

This game is very fun and addictive concept, its unfortunate that it just feels like the developers don't give a toss about how much effort actually goes into playing this game. Its not a casual 20-30min session like if you were to play an fps its a survival game taking 5+hours easy at a time over weeks to get a decent base up and running. Its treated like oh well just start over thats the game, no its bad game mechanics. Its bad enough the community can grief us on PVE then the developer goes ahead and does it big raptor YOU. A lot of people have JOBS and SCHOOL we can't be on 24/7 to waste our time to man a pvp base or watch out on PVE for GIGA/ALPHA REX/GOLEM/WYVERN lurings to our weeks/months of work  WAKE THE raptor UP ARK CREATORS

Spot on. Can't disagree with any of that

13 hours ago, Sassbre said:

To be honest, I highly doubt ANY of the devs play nearly as much as even the casual Ark player.  There is no way anyone that has actually gone through the grind of building a large base could ever possibly think that the way server transfers were implemented made any sense at all.

Which is fine!  Heck, I'd be more concerned that my interest free loan EA $$$s was going to someone playing a game 24 hours straight 24/7 ... but here's an idea, maybe thats why YOU LISTEN TO YOUR EA PLAYERS (or interest free funding source, if you prefer).

On 03/03/2017 at 8:19 AM, clumsynynja said:

Like 50 % of this was someone playing PVP who didn't want to be PVP'd. 

Mate did you even read PVE is just as messed up, maybe the reason you sound smug is because you were someone who abused the dupe while everyone else took the fall.

50% of the reason is the developers don't give a toss and from the forum mods response that's exactly their problem. Rather than acknowledge there's a problem and fix it, its oh well try another server, ignore the fact a big selling part of this game is the MMO. Unofficial servers on PS4 are a joke and player owned don't work i tried. You charged up the arse for the game how about fulfilling your job.

The excuse for the fault was horrendous, a bunch of game devs go to a Tech Conference yet don't bring an ounce of tech to monitor their game "bravo" 30+hours in the dark. Iv got mates with lessor stakes $$$ in tech and are more in touch with their product than these clowns and yes they travel too and still manage to respond within the first few hours of outages/issues. Lack of warning that is a lot of missing time WARNING SERVER COMMUNICATION ERROR PROGRESS MAYBE LOST would be nice after idk 2-4hours of the issue occurring but 30 is an absolute joke.

I agree, 30 hours is too long. But. The game itself is a lot of fun. Sure its bug-ridden etc and the developers have made mistakes a long the way but i still think its a great game and would recommend it in a heartbeat. Not sure what kind of early access warning you get when you buy it on ps4 or xbox, but on pc the early access warning is explicit enough that you should expect the game to have severe faults. poop happens. Just keep swimming.

On 2. 3. 2017 at 10:40 AM, Freya said:

Ok, this is not a reason to not buy a game. It's a PVP server, people PVP. It's not the game's fault you picked a server that has crappy players. 

Once again, not the game's fault for the crappy players. 

Same thing, not the game's fault.

Actually ... cancerous community and game that supports it by design is way enough reason not to play said game ... many online games are played and not played because of community (EVE for example - im semi palying that for over 6 years now with many ppl and most of them said that if we were to disband our corporation they would leave game for good)

On 3/2/2017 at 4:42 PM, GamerPerfection said:

Don't forget there are some very very nice unofficial PvE servers out there that are reputable and peaceful and not going anywhere anytime soon. There are always other options. :Jerblove:

Mmmhmmm......they aren't a viable option..we paid for the game to play on officials......not having to host our own servers. 

10 minutes ago, TheLordTailfin said:

Mmmhmmm......they aren't a viable option..we paid for the game to play on officials......not having to host our own servers. 

GP was pointing out that there are a huge number of unofficial servers out there that you can freely join if you wish.  Some are nearly identical to official servers, others are radically different.  You can save some time by looking over the server advertisement section here on the forums  Here is a link to the appropriate section for PC players for example:

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/forum/90-server-advertisements/

Paying for your own server is also an option if you wish complete control over your game (and who is allowed to come onto your server), but that's not what he was suggesting.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, TheLordTailfin said:

You didn't pay for the game to play on officials. You paid to be able to play the game, period. As part of the game there are options of playing single player, official servers, unofficial servers. Therefore you paid to play the game. It is down to the player to choose how to play it. Regardless of whether a player chooses to play official server or join someone else's unofficial server.

Someone saying people shouldn't buy this game because official servers are horrible, then that is not necessarily true, because there are other methods of playing that people should give at least some consideration to.

Well as in other threads i agree mostly with the threat starter. 

Funny thing is the amount of people that are talking about "PvP" without having any knowledge what PvP actually means. I know i know you can twist everything around so it fits your likings. But the core of PvP is actually "player VERSUS player". There is no "versus" in High power player against new/low power players, and there certainly is no "versus player" if said one isn't even online to play. Some people just have a very strange view and are in (IMHO) for a hard reality check. 

The systems in Ark are pretty bare bones and not balanced at all. I doubt they sty like that. So i suggest to anybody who asks me if they should buy this game to wait for it to be better. Because it CAN be better...... much better. 

Sole reason for people not to buy the game I think rotates around the inconsistency with the devs, meaning promises aren't kept, things keep getting pushed back, terrible server performance, awful lag at times, and almost no community interaction.  There are gamebreaking bugs that still havent been fixed, namely undermap raiding.

15 minutes ago, Arrclyde said:

Well as in other threads i agree mostly with the threat starter. 

Funny thing is the amount of people that are talking about "PvP" without having any knowledge what PvP actually means. I know i know you can twist everything around so it fits your likings. But the core of PvP is actually "player VERSUS player". There is no "versus" in High power player against new/low power players, and there certainly is no "versus player" if said one isn't even online to play. Some people just have a very strange view and are in (IMHO) for a hard reality check. 

The systems in Ark are pretty bare bones and not balanced at all. I doubt they sty like that. So i suggest to anybody who asks me if they should buy this game to wait for it to be better. Because it CAN be better...... much better. 

They can twist the definition of pvp to fit their liking.... Sort of like you just did by adding in that power lvl somehow effects the definition of pvp

2 hours ago, TheLordTailfin said:

Thanks for taking it upon yourself to speak for everyone!

I paid for the game to have fun with it. (crazy right?) I started a server, with pvp that has rules, which I enforce. We regularly have 20 players on at one time. We have almost no lag or disconnects. We trade, fight, raid, tame, breed, and enjoy the game at rates that are almost the same as officials.

If someone loses something due to a bug or glitch, they provide proof and I fix the problem within a day. If someone breaks a rule, I ban them from our server, no one comes here and complains. 

Our server has been running 24/7 since Xbox launch, with almost no long term downtime . I have never had a single member complain about admin abuse because we have admin logging, and I don't abuse commands. 

So tell me, how is that not viable for me? Seems like it is... Or maybe I'm just crazy! 

6 hours ago, Sassbre said:

Mate did you even read PVE is just as messed up, maybe the reason you sound smug is because you were someone who abused the dupe while everyone else took the fall.

50% of the reason is the developers don't give a toss and from the forum mods response that's exactly their problem. Rather than acknowledge there's a problem and fix it, its oh well try another server, ignore the fact a big selling part of this game is the MMO. Unofficial servers on PS4 are a joke and player owned don't work i tried. You charged up the arse for the game how about fulfilling your job.

The excuse for the fault was horrendous, a bunch of game devs go to a Tech Conference yet don't bring an ounce of tech to monitor their game "bravo" 30+hours in the dark. Iv got mates with lessor stakes $$$ in tech and are more in touch with their product than these clowns and yes they travel too and still manage to respond within the first few hours of outages/issues. Lack of warning that is a lot of missing time WARNING SERVER COMMUNICATION ERROR PROGRESS MAYBE LOST would be nice after idk 2-4hours of the issue occurring but 30 is an absolute joke.

Um. No. No, I did not. LOL. Assuming makes a what out of you? 

It did benefit me though; I'd gotten a LOT of my shizz whiped by three Rexes that decided to spawn right on top of my house; the rollback saved most of my stuff (save one dino) so yeah, yes, nope, I'm pretty pleased about it. :)

It was roughly two full days. You didn't lose that much. 

Blah blah blah. People find people like you everywhere; no matter what game you play, all you do is moan and whine, get nasty at and with the game devs, act like you (somehow) would know better (even though I don't see your famous anything out there, let alone a game) 

Your 'mates' products are likely tiny little indie pieces of crud that no one notices or cares about; maybe ten people, total, play them. No wonder they're easy to look after. 

You want to know why we didn't get a 'warning'? Because neither did WC. The server crash had nothing to do with them

They responded as quickly as they could in the only way they could

And frankly, I have only rarely had a major problem on the server I play on, and it was always taken care of in a prompt manner. Player owned works fine.

Also, *doesn't. It's very hard to take you seriously when you can't even communicate properly. Learn what punctuation is, as well. 

I play on an official PVE server and even though it was well established by other players I have had no issues finding a nice plot of land to settle on. Most people on this server are quite helpful, but there are the few egotistical players who think they have a right to anything and everything in the game. If that is what gets them up in the morning so be it. The game isn't perfect, but for me was certainly worth the price of $17 (on sale) for the Xbox One.

I hope you stick the game out, find another server you can start on, and enjoy the game as much as I have.

Good luck

16 hours ago, NebraskARK said:

They can twist the definition of pvp to fit their liking.... Sort of like you just did by adding in that power lvl somehow effects the definition of pvp

I just try to explain to the more simple minds Why that is and why not. If your power level (equip, level, numbers, dinos in this case) is way above the opponents so he can do what he wants, he won't be able to fight back or get away because he dies instantly he is in fact not actually PLAYING. Which in this case excludes the PLAYER and makes him an observer, so it is as a hard FACT not PvP. Because for that you need at least TWO parties that are actually doing what the very definition says. So the described situation is more PvO (player vs observer) or PvT (player vs target). I personally prefer the definition CvET (coward vs easy target), as those people don't seek for a good PvP encounter, but do everything at all cost to AVOID real PvP interactions. 

I know, sometimes it can be hard to grasp... but i can draw a funny colored picture if people need that. ;-)

4 hours ago, Arrclyde said:

I just try to explain to the more simple minds Why that is and why not. If your power level (equip, level, numbers, dinos in this case) is way above the opponents so he can do what he wants, he won't be able to fight back or get away because he dies instantly he is in fact not actually PLAYING. Which in this case excludes the PLAYER and makes him an observer, so it is as a hard FACT not PvP. Because for that you need at least TWO parties that are actually doing what the very definition says. So the described situation is more PvO (player vs observer) or PvT (player vs target). I personally prefer the definition CvET (coward vs easy target), as those people don't seek for a good PvP encounter, but do everything at all cost to AVOID real PvP interactions. 

I know, sometimes it can be hard to grasp... but i can draw a funny colored picture if people need that. ;-)

Interesting point of view for sure, I see what you're trying to do. I simply don't agree with it at all. 

It makes me think of other games, let's say destiny. (the game itself is irrelevant, this is just one I have more knowledge about.) You grind out levels and weapons to compete in pvp. You go into a match and just destroy the opponent for whatever reason. They may not have that great sniper/weapon, or may just not be good at the game yet because they just started. So essentially you are killing someone who is an observer or easy target, by your definition of course.

So to me, it sounds like you feel that true pvp isn't happening if the players aren't evenly matched, or if one spends more time playing the game.. (odd concept, putting time into a game to give you an edge.)

I will be the first to admit there may be some serious imbalances in the game, as a direct result of the lack of a better system in pvp.

I just find it funny, that you don't see how you are, yourself, doing the very thing you complained about. Twisting the definition of pvp. (you even managed to come up with your own cute little names...CvsET). While I am saying, if a player is vs another player, whether or not they are both willing, then it is by definition player vs player. (When a player joins a pvp map, they should know they are signing up to be attacked, if they don't...that is on them. I think that is where a lot of these issues spring up from. Players who should be playing pve, trying pvp.) 

I appreciate your attempt at a normal conversation. Your slight cuts and attempts at belittling my intelligence weren't lost on me (usually a good indicator someone doesn't have a solid argument.) I would love to see your cute pictures though!

Guest BubbaCrawfish
2 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

This post has so little strucdture and objectivity that I'm shocked why someone would unironically upvote it.

I'll upvote your post ;) with no qualms

Archived