Ovis Farm VS Egg Farm

Gong

****Edit****

I looked at a lvl 100 Carno in the dododex. I thought for this particular dino and level, cooked lamb chop/mutton would not be bad.

Stacks 30x

Spoils on a Player in about 1h

Spoils in tamed in 4h

for the lvl 100 it would be 87.6% efficient with +43 lvl. it would take about 1h to tame.

VS 5 lvl more for raw mutton or kibble. and 36m and 54 mins respectably to tame.

Similar results for a Rex with longer tame time.

Ovis Farm VS Egg Farm

Good day all,

I am somewhat new to Ark, i have played PVP and realized that id rather work through the games mechanics and explore what it has to offer on PVE then go back to PVP. Purpose of this thread is to determine how feasible it is to do an Ovis Farm Vs an Egg Farm. Im lvl 57 so i am no Ark expert.  

What i know so far (on Xbox) is Raw Mutton from an Ovis will tame any carnivore up to lvl 150 with the same efficiency of Kibble.

Spoilage

Mutton takes 10m on a person to spoil and does not stack. I do believe this means the all spoil at once.

Kibble takes 3d to spoil and is stackable.

Harvesting

you can go and tame a few Ovis, which based on what i have read are few and far between. Even when you do it takes  Sweet Vegetable Cake  which is not easily accessible to me unless i purchase from someone on my server or make the ingredients listed here.

With kibble it takes Multiple dino eggs, and other ingredients that require crop pots. Example

Going forward i will be testing both ways on different carnivores and will log my results as well as experiences. Please feel free to share your thoughts and results as well. 

I think the Ovis is better overall for carnivores. It just requires the up-front cost of getting a male and a female, then everything from there on is pretty easy. Kibble requires a lot of tames (since you probably want 3-4 dinos per kibble type) and farms. Ovis also works for almost every carnivore, where kibble doesn't. On my server, we have someone grapple the Ovis and sit on the front/back of a Tapejara to transport it while we down whatever it is we're taming. We starve tame, then butcher the Ovis when the tame is ready

4 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

I think the Ovis is better overall for carnivores. It just requires the up-front cost of getting a male and a female, then everything from there on is pretty easy. Kibble requires a lot of tames (since you probably want 3-4 dinos per kibble type) and farms. Ovis also works for almost every carnivore, where kibble doesn't. On my server, we have someone grapple the Ovis and sit on the front/back of a Tapejara to transport it while we down whatever it is we're taming. We starve tame, then butcher the Ovis when the tame is ready

Yes that is true for multiple dinos per kibble. how much mutton do you get per Ovis and is it an official server? I saw a video online of someone having an Ovis "Slaughter House" but this guy had the resources to do that, it is me alone in my tribe.

Gong

If you are level 57 on a PvE server, you should by now have easy access to the ingredients required to make sweet veggie cakes. Crop plots, a mortar/pestle, and a tree sap tap on the Island/Center or a chainsaw or metal pick on Scorched. And making cakes also requires crop plots. The only hard part of maintaining a mutton farm is breeding them to keep enough stock for your needs

Most dinos will get the same (or a tiny bit less) taming effectiveness with mutton as with kibble. If you want to see the effectiveness of mutton vs kibble, you can just use a taming calculator like Dododex: http://www.dododex.com/

I definitely believe a mutton farm is better than an egg farm. With mutton you just tame, breed, slaughter, done, or even just tame as I know all the sheep spawn points on Scorched and find fresh sheep regularly. Sheep only eat berries, you don't have to mess with different types of food for all your egg layers. Sheep tend to take up less space and get you stuck on.have no hanging extremities you can get stuck on. And you don't have to make jerky! I hate making jerky. I tend to get around 20-40 mutton per wild sheep killed. If I kill a tamed one I can get over 100... I have no idea if level of the sheep has anything to do with it but most of my sheep bred for slaughter are level 150+ at birth.

Ultimately you still need somewhat of an egg farm for any herbivores you want to tame and if you want to be perfectionist about certain dinos that have slightly more taming effectiveness with kibble than mutton.

47 minutes ago, Gong said:

Yes that is true for multiple dinos per kibble. how much mutton do you get per Ovis and is it an official server? I saw a video online of someone having an Ovis "Slaughter House" but this guy had the resources to do that, it is me alone in my tribe.

Gong

I run a server with 3x gather rates, and I get easily 80 or so Mutton per sheep (I don't remember exactly, but it was well more than enough to tame a 100 Rex). Make sure you use a metal pick. If you're near your base, using a power-harvesting Theri will net you a huge amount (on the scale of 500+ on my server, so around 150 on a normal server with 225% Power). Even if you need more tho, it's not particularly hard to crank out a few sheep while you're doing other projects around your base like building and such.

57 minutes ago, Gong said:

Ovis Farm VS Egg Farm

Good day all,

I am somewhat new to Ark, i have played PVP and realized that id rather work through the games mechanics and explore what it has to offer on PVE then go back to PVP. Purpose of this thread is to determine how feasible it is to do an Ovis Farm Vs an Egg Farm. Im lvl 57 so i am no Ark expert.  

What i know so far (on Xbox) is Raw Mutton from an Ovis will tame any carnivore up to lvl 150 with the same efficiency of Kibble.

Spoilage

Mutton takes 10m on a person to spoil and does not stack. I do believe this means the all spoil at once.

Kibble takes 3d to spoil and is stackable.

Harvesting

you can go and tame a few Ovis, which based on what i have read are few and far between. Even when you do it takes  Sweet Vegetable Cake  which is not easily accessible to me unless i purchase from someone on my server or make the ingredients listed here.

With kibble it takes Multiple dino eggs, and other ingredients that require crop pots. Example

Going forward i will be testing both ways on different carnivores and will log my results as well as experiences. Please feel free to share your thoughts and results as well. 

I do both. I need kibble for the surprise kibble requirement during imprinting while raising dinos (T-Rex team and replacements for boss fights). I can also take a preserving bin or two with me to make mutton last longer at a remote taming site (in the wild). On long tames, I will build a protection wall around the tame and let it starve. Then go to my base, kill/harvest the mutton, and go put it on the tame after the food level is down low enough to eat enough to tame up. What mutton is left over gets cooked for tames that I am not needing super efficiency on but like to tame quickly. I will use kibble on herbivores (if I have it) and as mentioned before, use kibble during imprinting. I build my farms based on how I want to play. Others will be different. Starve taming is the best way to work around the spoil timers. Starve taming has no pro or adverse effect on taming efficiency.

I don't have a lot of every dino. I keep mates and collect eggs as they drop. I play long term and do not need everything or a lot of anything right now. I tame low levels animals for eggs and may eventually tame a high level to replace low level if there is another purpose for that animal (dodos, dilos, etc don't get replaced with high level). A couple of ovis for breeding and a couple ready to harvest. Real easy. 

I don't prefer either kibble or mutton over the other. Just depends on what I want to use or have available at the time. Nice project you have going on there. Enjoy your project. Have a great day.

9 minutes ago, chilllord said:

How do I get the resin from the trees in redwood? I put the tool in the tree, but there is no resin

Assuming you put a Tree Sap Tap into a Redwood Tree, the Sap will passively gather in the tap over time. Try again in an hour and you should have 20 (It only stacks up to 20).

Also, if you're interested in doing an Ovis farm, a high level Power Therizino is almost mandatory. My 55 levels in Therizino has just shy of 700% melee and gets over 300 raw mutton per sheep kill on Official Server rates. 

Just now, iAmE said:

Assuming you put a Tree Sap Tap into a Redwood Tree, the Sap will passively gather in the tap over time. Try again in an hour and you should have 20 (It only stacks up to 20).

Also, if you're interested in doing an Ovis farm, a high level Power Therizino is almost mandatory. My 55 levels in Therizino has just shy of 700% melee and gets over 300 raw mutton per sheep kill on Official Server rates. 

Thx for the quick answer. I will test it again after work.

I believe the amount of mutton scales with HP, with the alternative theory being it scales with food (I personally believe food is wool, for the living ovis, and health is mutton, for the butchered ovis.)
I very much prefer my fluffballs over a big laggy eggfarm, personally. The kibble requirements for imprinting come from a pool of only 15 species, so that's a lot more modest, as well as needing fewer eggs than when taming.
Also, they're cute as hell.
I've had nice amounts of mutton with my 450% wyvern, my not-sure-how-much ascendant pick, and chainsaw also got decent mutton, while it also got a lot of hide and wool, making me think it might lose out on meat potential in favor of those.
I can't second the starve taming comment enough though. Can save you a lot of headaches.

15 hours ago, Nim said:

If you are level 57 on a PvE server, you should by now have easy access to the ingredients required to make sweet veggie cakes. Crop plots, a mortar/pestle, and a tree sap tap on the Island/Center or a chainsaw or metal pick on Scorched. And making cakes also requires crop plots. The only hard part of maintaining a mutton farm is breeding them to keep enough stock for your needs

Most dinos will get the same (or a tiny bit less) taming effectiveness with mutton as with kibble. If you want to see the effectiveness of mutton vs kibble, you can just use a taming calculator like Dododex: http://www.dododex.com/

I definitely believe a mutton farm is better than an egg farm. With mutton you just tame, breed, slaughter, done, or even just tame as I know all the sheep spawn points on Scorched and find fresh sheep regularly. Sheep only eat berries, you don't have to mess with different types of food for all your egg layers. Sheep tend to take up less space and get you stuck on.have no hanging extremities you can get stuck on. And you don't have to make jerky! I hate making jerky. I tend to get around 20-40 mutton per wild sheep killed. If I kill a tamed one I can get over 100... I have no idea if level of the sheep has anything to do with it but most of my sheep bred for slaughter are level 150+ at birth.

Ultimately you still need somewhat of an egg farm for any herbivores you want to tame and if you want to be perfectionist about certain dinos that have slightly more taming effectiveness with kibble than mutton.

Nim,

this is true ingredients are easier for me to get now than before. i ran into issues, mainly a giga destroying my lvl 190 Raptor and 80 trike while offline, and i also had issues with my tribe where it kicked me out also in the process of moving bases. Excuses aside lol, i started yesterday. I got a male dilo and a male dodo and i kid you not i searched for hours and could only find 1 other female and it was a dodo. have 2 eggs, started my crop plots and fert as well. Today i plan on at least doing the tree sap tap and get that side of the process started for the Ovis tame. i was also thinking maybe i could get a pteradon, locate the carnivore i want, kill a few sheep and then fly back and knock the dino out seeing as i have 40 mins that may be to short a time though.

3 hours ago, Housatonic said:

I believe the amount of mutton scales with HP, with the alternative theory being it scales with food (I personally believe food is wool, for the living ovis, and health is mutton, for the butchered ovis.)
I very much prefer my fluffballs over a big laggy eggfarm, personally. The kibble requirements for imprinting come from a pool of only 15 species, so that's a lot more modest, as well as needing fewer eggs than when taming.
Also, they're cute as hell.
I've had nice amounts of mutton with my 450% wyvern, my not-sure-how-much ascendant pick, and chainsaw also got decent mutton, while it also got a lot of hide and wool, making me think it might lose out on meat potential in favor of those.
I can't second the starve taming comment enough though. Can save you a lot of headaches.

Houstatinic,

I also saw that in a video. I also like the fact you can shave them for wool which works as pelt for fur armor as well. This also got me thinking maybe i should farm them for the wool as well and trade them.

Wish i had a Wyvern :( they are cool

I just hope for some "balance" from WC, if they want us to go the mutton route then it needs to be consistent. The new Thylacoleo actually tames better on kibble. When we are looking at getting the most levels for breeding the bonus levels do matter.  Kibble tame gives 70 bonus levels, cooked mutton gives 39, and raw gives 14.

2 hours ago, fewnts said:

I just hope for some "balance" from WC, if they want us to go the mutton route then it needs to be consistent. The new Thylacoleo actually tames better on kibble. When we are looking at getting the most levels for breeding the bonus levels do matter.  Kibble tame gives 70 bonus levels, cooked mutton gives 39, and raw gives 14.

I sadly agree with this all too much. Mutton was such a great addition, and the very next patch they already start on the path of spoiling it again. Slippery slopes, slaps in the face, and all that!

Also, damn you all for making me need to tame a theri!

4 hours ago, Gong said:

Nim,

this is true ingredients are easier for me to get now than before. i ran into issues, mainly a giga destroying my lvl 190 Raptor and 80 trike while offline, and i also had issues with my tribe where it kicked me out also in the process of moving bases. Excuses aside lol, i started yesterday. I got a male dilo and a male dodo and i kid you not i searched for hours and could only find 1 other female and it was a dodo. have 2 eggs, started my crop plots and fert as well. Today i plan on at least doing the tree sap tap and get that side of the process started for the Ovis tame. i was also thinking maybe i could get a pteradon, locate the carnivore i want, kill a few sheep and then fly back and knock the dino out seeing as i have 40 mins that may be to short a time though.

Before actually building a platform and taps in the Redwoods look around in there first.  We have 2 platforms there with taps from other tribes that we utilize and have never had to build anything...

7 hours ago, fewnts said:

I disagree. I look at it as the thylacoleo having a unique food tier preference, like scorpions taming with both spoiled and raw meat but spoiled being faster and better effectiveness. Thylacoleo prefers cooked food to raw, it's just a quirk of the dino like chalico preferring beer and pachyrhino liking bug repellent. Dinos are supposed to have slightly better taming effectivess (most of them) with kibble than with mutton. Kibble is obviously the more difficult food to obtain/make. We all know mutton is OP anyway. You shouldn't get too comfy using it and killing off your egg farm quite yet.

Hey guys,

thanks for all the tips and advice, last night i laid down some crop plots, got me a pair of dilos and dodos and started the process to make kibble. for some reason my server has a ton of male dinos and few female. I also spent about two hours searching for an ovis and found none. i also asked on my server if anyone had any for sale and no response. i will go out again today and search. i am determined to test my theories out. i want to also video it but i am not sure how to. 

On 28/02/2017 at 10:43 PM, Darkramzeu said:

Yeah I would go for both too.

Kibble is as good as raw mutton (in most cases) with 1x taming.
But when 1.5x taming hits the server the kibble is slightly better.

Besides that it's not bad to have extra kibble when you're breeding.

From my experience, and I could be wrong, kibble is only better for taming when you're taming a L150, otherwise it's of equal efficiency on 1.5x. I haven't got the time at the moment to check a calculator but I'm sure that's what we found. That made Ovis far superior to any kibble farm.

If you have enough stock of the x15 kibble that you need for imprinting, and the other kibble farms for taming Herbivores, then I don't see a need for Carnivore kibble farms.

Someone pointed out the Thylacoleo though. That's the new dino that kibble completely outshines the Raw Mutton again. Everything else seems to be quite equal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Sorry for my absence. since my last post a lot has happened. I managed to find one ovis, Tamed a Ptera, then Ark decide to roll the servers back. So i stopped playing for a while as  i lost that Ptera and a lvl 190 Raptor. 

A couple weeks ago i started back again, no ovis to be found, so i started my kibble farm and tamed 2 high level pteras, tamed a Carno that got killed by a pack of dumb @$$ Troodons, HATE THOSE GUYS. I also tamed an Anky with dilo kibble. so my next step is another Anky for Kibble to tame a Carno. I will continue to look for the all elusive ovis and see what i can come up with.

Gong

The Pteradon Don

3 minutes ago, Gong said:

Hey guys,

Sorry for my absence. since my last post a lot has happened. I managed to find one ovis, Tamed a Ptera, then Ark decide to roll the servers back. So i stopped playing for a while as  i lost that Ptera and a lvl 190 Raptor. 

A couple weeks ago i started back again, no ovis to be found, so i started my kibble farm and tamed 2 high level pteras, tamed a Carno that got killed by a pack of dumb @$$ Troodons, HATE THOSE GUYS. I also tamed an Anky with dilo kibble. so my next step is another Anky for Kibble to tame a Carno. I will continue to look for the all elusive ovis and see what i can come up with.

Gong

The Pteradon Don

I was waiting on another tribe to trade for a box of chocolates and while I waited I flew around the snow near the volcano. Snagged 3 Ovis's...

Archived