Electrophorus Story/Discussion

ThzNutz

1 hour ago, Dracul said:

Squids are king for me, especially for alphas I pit mine 1 on 1 nose to nose against this guy http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=855986789

Now I have a female (was 130 wild so kinda low) so I could in theory boost them, but I reaaaally want to breed them :ph34r: on a side note I did confirm today: basils can get into the Caverns of Lost Faith with minimal damage (gets hurt going down to the cave and a little bit inside till it can ascend some) making them superior to even squids for that cave.

That is good to know about the cave. I was afraid to try due to reports of "sudden death" if it goes to deep.

Does anybody else think there needs to be a counter to all these creatures that instantly knock survivors off mounts? Maybe if youre in all riot gear except a scuba tank for underwater and make it level based? Say a level 40 jelly or eal doesnt knock you off but depending on your level of protection a 150 would? I mean, if i was riding these things around id at least have a seatbelt strapping me in...

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, VicRattlehed said:

needs to be a counter to all these creatures that instantly knock survivors off mounts

i agree, a counter of some sort would be a valuable addition--seat belts would be a good start. i mean....fine, shock the crap outta me but dont force dismount every time. hopefully something can be implemented, but idk. 

and yes @JozaSeraf the eels could definitely do with an aggro range nerf

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts on this after almost losing a 140 tame mosa to 2 eels, 2 jellys, and a shark today (in addition to losing several dolphins and gear in the past- not too concerned about those because those were legitimately my fault for getting close enough):

1) Eels should NOT be as aggressive as they are.  There is literally no reason a single eel should pursue a mosa or plesio like it has a chance to eat it.  What they should be aggressive to are the smaller fish- the coel, anglers, and perhaps the dolphins.  They really should behave like raptors or other smaller intermediate predators around larger predators like rexes, spinos, or gigas wherein they will attack if attacked- but not pursue something 100x their size aggressively.

2) The eel attack needs to have a longer cooldown.  More than 2 eels = permastun = slow, but assured death if you cannot respond- which is a serious pain in the ass. 

3) Either the cooldown between attacks from the eel should be increased, or there should be a resolve bar similar to many online pvp games.  Something similar to 10 seconds of full stun-lock, followed by 10 seconds of stun-invulnerability. 

I would love to be able to have a constructive, civil debate with the development team about this- I genuinely like the fear that the eel and the jellyfish instill when going into the water, but I personally think (and it doesn't look like I am alone here) that the eel needs a little fine tuning.

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, Dracul said:

Eels are pretty aggressive and come with taht pesky jellyfish stun which is getting way overused already. They use angler AI and have itchy (wild) speed, if you injure them enough they will get into a 'flee and return' loop like anglers do but at the moment best way to deal with them are basils and squids, I spent quite awhile trying to find them the fist day and when i did they impotently tried chain stunning my deep sea god Cthulhu, with 51k health and 580% melee swatting them like flies it became more of a game once they started running away and returning only to flee again over and over, occasionally putting in a zap before returning to their loop.

My tribe is still wittling down our overclocked dino count but once thats done I'll see about taming some of these pesky things, they seem like they should be quite a challenge, or at least annoying.

We Need narwhals

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so im play ark on the official server after Flyer Nerf. And guess what ? 
I go to the under water cave and get rekt by the Eel 
then 
I go to the Deep Sea Loot Create and get rekt by the Eel 
then 
I go to the penguin island where my second base is. I get rekt by the Eel and my plesiosaur being Unicorn by them
then 
I Spawn back from my base trying to help my Ple. The momment i get to the beach... I get knock down by the Eel. RIP Ple
then
I spawn at Herbivores Island to go fishing. I get rekt by the Eel when sitting on the raft. 
then
I google about Electrodus. I try to tame a 
 Basilosaurus. I get rekt by the Eel
Such a nice creature ! They are just like superman, they are there anytime, anywhere for you. 
The End! 

10 minutes ago, Kjndst said:

Ok so im play ark on the official server after Flyer Nerf. And guess what ? 
I go to the under water cave and get rekt by the Eel 
then 
I go to the Deep Sea Loot Create and get rekt by the Eel 
then 
I go to the penguin island where my second base is. I get rekt by the Eel and my plesiosaur being Unicorn by them
then 
I Spawn back from my base trying to help my Ple. The momment i get to the beach... I get knock down by the Eel. RIP Ple
then
I spawn at Herbivores Island to go fishing. I get rekt by the Eel when sitting on the raft. 
then
I google about Electrodus. I try to tame a 
 Basilosaurus. I get rekt by the Eel
Such a nice creature ! They are just like superman, they are there anytime, anywhere for you. 
The End! 

You forgot a part where you are getting rekt by the eel.

On 2/28/2017 at 9:46 AM, Dracul said:

Eels are pretty aggressive and come with taht pesky jellyfish stun which is getting way overused already. They use angler AI and have itchy (wild) speed, if you injure them enough they will get into a 'flee and return' loop like anglers do but at the moment best way to deal with them are basils and squids, I spent quite awhile trying to find them the fist day and when i did they impotently tried chain stunning my deep sea god Cthulhu, with 51k health and 580% melee swatting them like flies it became more of a game once they started running away and returning only to flee again over and over, occasionally putting in a zap before returning to their loop.

My tribe is still wittling down our overclocked dino count but once thats done I'll see about taming some of these pesky things, they seem like they should be quite a challenge, or at least annoying.

they are a passive tame i think. so have fun with that.

On 3/2/2017 at 0:40 PM, ThzNutz said:

i agree, a counter of some sort would be a valuable addition--seat belts would be a good start. i mean....fine, shock the crap outta me but dont force dismount every time. hopefully something can be implemented, but idk. 

and yes @JozaSeraf the eels could definitely do with an aggro range nerf

not just an agro range nerf. they are swimming around like they got short man syndrome. they're just angry little raptorers.

i also really appreciate the irony that you dont get dismounted off of your Tuso, but as soon as 3 or more eels reach your head most likely you are done for, they just swim inside the head stunlocking you, and even worse pinning the tuso no movement possible, and even if you get a second to attack, tusos cant hit stuff thats in or around their head, so all you can do is dismount and hope to god you picked that one millisecond that the shockfield isnt up cause otherwise you are most likely out, and even if by some miracle you end up out of range of the eels next to your twitching tuso, you cant do poop, bolts hit the tuso instead of the eel when they are inside the head, all you can do is say goodbye, 

if one ore more gets inside a mosa, its gg aswell, cause as with the tuso you cant hit em then, but granted ive not seen this happen as often or as reliable as the tuso problems with the tuso eels always go "straight for the jugular" 

the fact that they seem to linger inside walls and have a aggrorange that seems to be comparable to epic viewdistance on a sunny day, dont help.

On 3/22/2017 at 5:59 PM, Xeeta said:

My thoughts on this after almost losing a 140 tame mosa to 2 eels, 2 jellys, and a shark today (in addition to losing several dolphins and gear in the past- not too concerned about those because those were legitimately my fault for getting close enough):

1) Eels should NOT be as aggressive as they are.  There is literally no reason a single eel should pursue a mosa or plesio like it has a chance to eat it.  What they should be aggressive to are the smaller fish- the coel, anglers, and perhaps the dolphins.  They really should behave like raptors or other smaller intermediate predators around larger predators like rexes, spinos, or gigas wherein they will attack if attacked- but not pursue something 100x their size aggressively.

2) The eel attack needs to have a longer cooldown.  More than 2 eels = permastun = slow, but assured death if you cannot respond- which is a serious pain in the ass. 

3) Either the cooldown between attacks from the eel should be increased, or there should be a resolve bar similar to many online pvp games.  Something similar to 10 seconds of full stun-lock, followed by 10 seconds of stun-invulnerability. 

I would love to be able to have a constructive, civil debate with the development team about this- I genuinely like the fear that the eel and the jellyfish instill when going into the water, but I personally think (and it doesn't look like I am alone here) that the eel needs a little fine tuning.

We just got a 5s cooldown post-stun but that is pointless because eels chain their attacks and swim fast.   In groups, they are chain perma-stunning + outswimming both you and your mount.   So during the invulnerability if you swim away.. great they're already in front of you stunning you again.  

A single eel is not a problem to take down on even a shark.   A pack of eels is impossible to take down.  Due to the fact that they alternate how they run away and re-engage, swimming away and crossbowing will only work in small packs of low level eels if you're an amazing shot and there's nothing else around.    I've seen an 8+ pack with 2 plessy's rendered in the distance.   GG.

-K

The recent nerf to eels has helped, it allowed an ally and I to actually clear both underwater caves (the one by green ob is substantially harder).  The nerf is a welcome addition, but they still hurt and are very deadly when solo.  Recommend not entering the water alone, but they are MUCH more manageable after this nerf.

I currently have 14 eels tamed, all ranging from level 5(first eel ever tamed) to 135. What I found works best when taming one of these bad boys is to use a squid, since you can't be dismounted you can tank the shock from the offending eel, than, with riot chest, helmet, and gloves, dismount and feed it. The reason for the armor is that is greatly reduces damage from the eel in cases it ends up recharging before you get a feed in, flak also works, but I had some good quality riot gear, so I figured I would use it. Tank shock on squid, dismount and feed, mount squid, tank shock, dismount and feed, repeat until tame is complete. There have been issues I've noticed while feeding an eel, sometimes after a feeding or two, the eel refuses to eat, no matter how long I hang around it and keep tanking the shocks, it just doesn't want to eat, at that point I kill it and move on. Also, it seems eels receive a nerf after being tamed, from what I've observed, a wild eel recharges in 5-6 seconds and can zap again, a tamed eel takes to 9-13 second to recharge before it can fire off. Not only that, but a wild eel can link up to 7-9 eels to increase strength and size of shock, a tamed eel can only link up to a max of 6 other eels. Just a heads up for people interested in taming thee bad boys.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but wild eels can stun tamed eels and vice versa, rather odd, noticed it when my eels got zapped by an opposing pack and my boys just sat there and took it, couple of swings from the squid cleared up that mess before it got too serious.

On 2/27/2017 at 1:28 PM, ThzNutz said:

Omg you have no idea what these f**kers put me through. I lost my only high level spino to these guys (lvl 188) in less than a minute. Later, a school of these attacked by megalodon and plesi, both near lvl 200, and although I was able to save them (as they were right next to my base) they were almost dead and the mega was nearly ko'd. With an apprentice saddle. And then I lagged out so hard and lost a spam explorer ichthy i had. 10/10 needs nerf.

1 hour ago, Bane191 said:

I currently have 14 eels tamed, all ranging from level 5(first eel ever tamed) to 135. What I found works best when taming one of these bad boys is to use a squid, since you can't be dismounted you can tank the shock from the offending eel, than, with riot chest, helmet, and gloves, dismount and feed it. The reason for the armor is that is greatly reduces damage from the eel in cases it ends up recharging before you get a feed in, flak also works, but I had some good quality riot gear, so I figured I would use it. Tank shock on squid, dismount and feed, mount squid, tank shock, dismount and feed, repeat until tame is complete. There have been issues I've noticed while feeding an eel, sometimes after a feeding or two, the eel refuses to eat, no matter how long I hang around it and keep tanking the shocks, it just doesn't want to eat, at that point I kill it and move on. Also, it seems eels receive a nerf after being tamed, from what I've observed, a wild eel recharges in 5-6 seconds and can zap again, a tamed eel takes to 9-13 second to recharge before it can fire off. Not only that, but a wild eel can link up to 7-9 eels to increase strength and size of shock, a tamed eel can only link up to a max of 6 other eels. Just a heads up for people interested in taming thee bad boys.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but wild eels can stun tamed eels and vice versa, rather odd, noticed it when my eels got zapped by an opposing pack and my boys just sat there and took it, couple of swings from the squid cleared up that mess before it got too serious.

So the squid is immune to eels? Is it also immune to jellyfish?

28 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

So the squid is immune to eels? Is it also immune to jellyfish?

Yes, eels and jellies cannot dismount you, but they can disable your ability to attack, the basillo is the only dino truly immune to them as it can still attack even after being electrocuted, but they start dying the closer they to get to the bottom of the ocean. Figures, the only creature truly immune to eels and jellies can't even be used to silica farm safely without the ocean depths crushing the poor creature.

guys I keep saying this but try and tame yourselves up a Basilosarus, They are the kings of the ocean, and I truly believe they should of had a horn on their heads so they could be narwhals, the jedi of the sea! They have a kick arse facial horn !!!!!   They have super tanky healthy, decent melee and are not effected by ells or jellies. My max out 150 male solo's hard underwater cave

• 1 month later...

I am experiencing that my tamed eels, by no means can knockout anything before theyll kill it. I thought the point of them was that, that should be their thing? Or am i missing something, or doing something wrong. Btw im on pve if the is relevant. Also their unit collision makes them practically impossible to use strategically.

On 2/27/2017 at 9:28 PM, ThzNutz said:

i would like to hear others experience regarding our new water friend, the eel.

this is ours. we found them for the first time last night when we went out to tame one of the nice Mosa we had located the day before. we were out with the current Mosa crew:

1. Proteus-lvl 234, 31000 health, 420 melee, asc 80.5 armor

2. Miss Mosa-lvl 200, 26000, 379, mc 77.8 armor

3.Grimace-lvl 131, 27500, 248, ap 45 armor

we located and begin tranqing the mosa we were there for, everything was going swimmingly (had too) when the mosa, like all do, tried to run. we gave chase, following our general rule of "only one shooter after it runs" and in this instance i was that guy. the mosa ran back the way we had come from, heading west along the north boundary wall. i got a lucky long shot on it and it was down between a tall rock and the boundary wall, just west of a crate location(7.9/80.2). the spot actually looked ideal (i thought)--map edge on one side, mosa totally blocked by the rock on the island side. "sweet" i say to myself as i throw on a couple stacks of narco. 

then across discord comes an anxious announcement regarding a jellyfish and being unmounted. they are on top of the rock the taming mosa is blocked by, no biggie i thought, the other mosa was going to assist. another dismount call amidst "these arent jellyfish" "DILO?!?" etc so i bring Proteus to the fight. i see the "lightning" consuming both the other mosa but cannot see what is doing the business. i approach with "jelly technique" (approach very slowly biting constantly) and kill one when i am then also dismounted. what a fustercluck. there is nothing to shoot at as the now identified eels are inside of the mosa, so the mosa takes the shots. they eventually mange to eat the eels and we are all somewhat amazed but mostly relieved.

everyone parks to guard and the tame proceeds normally. its a little boring so there is discussion about the several spots of pearls we see and how we are in need of some. it is decided that it will be okay to gather, but not to wander far to avoid aggro/respawn and to stay close to help, the tame is of course the priority.

Miss Mosa and Grimace move out to gather pearls, i am watching the tame. they do not stay together as i assumed they would, generally not a big deal because...they're on Mosa, the God of the Oceans and Rulers of the Deep....right? 

it takes maybe three minutes before there is a call across discord, "dammit im dismounted again". its Grimace's rider (newest to underwater play) so i send Miss Mosa over to assist, thinking the mate boost and added teeth will put an end to things fast enough. i spam another 100 narco and get on Proteus just in case.

true panic ensues as discord becomes overlapping cries for help, Miss Mosa is in the fray, rider dismounted and " oh god, Grimace is dying". in about 8 seconds i am on scene, and it is bad. 3 plesi have joined in to what looks like at least 7-8 eels and the obligatory stupid mantas. Grimace is wearing full blood and i am sure he is dead, the riders are trying to kill the plesi with their newly nerfed Xbows. i am able to kill 2-3 eels before being dismounted. i whistle passive & all follow and swim for the roof--they are not/cannot follow but have seemed to have moved a bit. whistle them neutral again and in a few bites they kill the remaining eels and then, like normal,  the plesi are no issue.

we all mount up and go back to the tame, fill Grimace with all the meat available and so begins the spamming. out of 27500 health, he is below 4000. the entire incident lasted maybe two minutes, definitely not much longer. remember, these are eels, not alpha mosa.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=873379414 

we all stay by the tame and finish up, we now have Ahti, perfect tame to level 202, we agree we are done and swim home to park. i decide to swim around solo for a bit to make sure there are none of our new "friends" spawning close to where the mosa park. we have them near the surface in open water following a passive critter at about 14/41.

night falls as im gathering pearls on the bottom a bit east of camp, still looking for the new beasts when i spot glowing far off to the east. it doesnt look like jellies. to my amazement once scoped it is 6-7 of the new eels. i had biotoxin in my zero slot but after seeing how many there were i gave up the idea of trying a tame. then oddly enough they seem to be getting closer, scope them again and holy crap--they have aggro'd on me from just inside scope distance??? at any rate we get them dealt with, all but one, which swims off. i throw all my good stuff on the mosa that came out to eat the group of eels and try to tame the last one. female, lvl60. i get 5-6 biotoxin in her before she kills me, had her at about 50% tame. look for my bag for a bit (turns out i had decent scuba pants on) but give up and its time to log out.

-------

so what has your experience been with the new eel? tamed any? lost critters to any? notice the same crazy aggro range?

sorry for the long read...once i started i had to get it out:D

be careful out there--the water is not safe! 

wish I had friends to play with lol

nice story I can feel the fear and anger in the situation.

Archived