Direwolf VS Sabertooth caving

DotStop

From what I understand, the general opinion is that Dire wolves are better than Sabertooths for caving, this is the camp that I'm in. I mostly I want to use Wolves because I think wolves are way cooler. Under normal circumsatances I would choose the wolves, however I have an ascended saber saddle BP that grants 84.3 armor so I'm thinking it would be wiser to use sabers if they're going to have that much damage reduction. Thoughts? Opinions? Facts?

Depends on the Quality of the wolf, if we're talking a bred one with atleast 70% imprint and a decent end melee 750+ ideally 900+% the wolf is far surperior to the sabre purely because most caves it 1 taps most mobs and the larger AOE ark on the bite means far less misses on things like onyc so you clear in a much faster time, you'd be surprised about how little damage you take when you 1 hit everything. If you're just using fresh 150 kibble tames then i'd go with the sabre even with a mediocre 40 armour saddle its much better than a wolf.

But if you're looking for something to pump out higher end caves i'd breed Wolves mateboosted try and get a base melee of atleast 370+ to work off of so you can achieve 850+ melee.

Just depends on the stage of the game you're at <3

Different caves are better dealt with by certain tames, wolves are inheriently squishier as a whole but easier to replace.  Two important ones to note however apart from those two are Terror Birds and Baryonyx - the former for its parachute like glide ability which makes it vastly superior for caves like the one found on Death Island, and better saddles are vailable for them through fishing. Baryonyx while not having access to better than primitive quality saddles is as tough as a carno, as nimble as a raptor and the undisputed king of water intensive caves (such as the Upper Southern cave with its deep winding underwater section filled with piranha and sarcos) and if for some reason you 'really' want the loot crate that sometimes spawns in the water pool of the cave near the volcano on Theisland baryonyx handily plows through the 40-50 piranha you usually find in there.

1 hour ago, Morloa said:

Depends on the Quality of the wolf, if we're talking a bred one with atleast 70% imprint and a decent end melee 750+ ideally 900+% the wolf is far surperior to the sabre purely because most caves it 1 taps most mobs and the larger AOE ark on the bite means far less misses on things like onyc so you clear in a much faster time, you'd be surprised about how little damage you take when you 1 hit everything. If you're just using fresh 150 kibble tames then i'd go with the sabre even with a mediocre 40 armour saddle its much better than a wolf.

But if you're looking for something to pump out higher end caves i'd breed Wolves mateboosted try and get a base melee of atleast 370+ to work off of so you can achieve 850+ melee.

Just depends on the stage of the game you're at <3

Well, if you're going to used an imprinted wolf for the comparison you have to use imprinted saber also.  I have a 59ac saddle bp  for my sabers.  I dont think a wolf would take the beating my saber can.  I did make a post recently in the suggestion section to add collars for wolves for their ac booster.

Wolves hit harder, Sabers are tankier. Realistically, from there, it's really just your preference. A high-tier saber saddle would mean you could invest less into HP and more into Melee... but at that point, you pretty much just have a Wolf that can take a few extra seconds of punishment while trading off the ability to easily handle overhead enemies. I generally prefer Wolves to Sabers in like... 85% of situations, but the Saber is still a solid mount. I would recommend trying it out and seeing which you prefer.

5 hours ago, jrn1877 said:

My first thought was sabers bc of the armor you can put on them. After doing the swamp cave I found out that the armor will prevent you from going further into the cave. i love my sabers but if i cant go all the way through the caves my wolves are going to be my next best hope.

That doesn't make sense?

Ok, did a lil test.

Shot my wolf, 3164.9 - 3044.9 = 120 dmg.

Shot my saber w/o saddle 4087 - 3967 = 120 dmg.

Shot my saber w/saddle 4087 - 4049.8 = 37.2 dmg.

Looks like saddle is deff the winner for tanking.  I cant address the AE of the wolf as I have never used my wolves for any fighting.

The wiki page for the direwolves says they have a built in 40% dmg reduction once tamed.  I am not seeing that from my test.

2 hours ago, Jim359 said:

Ok, did a lil test.

Looks like saddle is deff the winner for tanking.  I cant address the AE of the wolf as I have never used my wolves for any fighting.

The wiki page for the direwolves says they have a built in 40% dmg reduction once tamed.  I am not seeing that from my test.

Imprint up a Sabre and Imprint up a Direwolf get there melee's to atleast 700% for caving and I think you'll be really impressed with how well the wolf performs, and how swift the run is and how little the damage you actually take is.

In a fight i'd give it to the sabre purely because of how high armour some of the saddles can get with little effort. Untill the pack mechanic is introduced for the Direwolf I don't see it taking the Sabre down.

15 hours ago, DotStop said:

From what I understand, the general opinion is that Dire wolves are better than Sabertooths for caving, this is the camp that I'm in. I mostly I want to use Wolves because I think wolves are way cooler. Under normal circumsatances I would choose the wolves, however I have an ascended saber saddle BP that grants 84.3 armor so I'm thinking it would be wiser to use sabers if they're going to have that much damage reduction. Thoughts? Opinions? Facts?

No matter what sabertooths are better. The first argument is the saddle of course. Wolves only have slightly better stats all all around. You put an MC or ascendant saddle on a 150 perfect tame saber like I did and I would run through caves naked and aggro 10 plus insects at a time if not more. The other arguement is that sabers simply don't go to sleep... ever! The saber will die before it goes to sleep. I would run into a group of titanboas and just let them all hit my saber as I walked backwards swiping. Hitting the whole group every time and they usually die at the same time. Also, if you are going to use the saber for cave runs go half in on health and half on melee. Their Stam is ridiculously awesome so you never need to add it.

btw if you lead an alpha Rex into the water your saber can kill it because it does attack underwater and always has atleast 400 oxygen. Just put a raft somewhat out in the water because your oxygen will deplete well before the sabers. The Rex will try to swim back to shore but if you go on top of the raft it will swim back out after you. Once it gets close dive under him and start whooping him. Once he tries to run away again hop on the raft and he will come back. Keep repeating and the saber will single handedly kill the alpha Rex regardless of level. And no the alpha Rex can't attack if he feet aren't touching the bottom

I appreciate everyone's input, I think I'm going to take the Saber since I have such a good BP for them then. While I like wolves aesthetically much more and I like their dps, in mmos and in general I'm very much the tank, I like to be the juggernaut that comes out on top. Since the damage difference the two isn't huge or anything and I can load the saber up with a ton of armor I'll probably take the saber.

22 hours ago, Dracul said:

Baryonyx while not having access to better than primitive quality saddles is as tough as a carno, as nimble as a raptor and the undisputed king of water intensive caves (such as the Upper Southern cave with its deep winding underwater section filled with piranha and sarcos) and if for some reason you 'really' want the loot crate that sometimes spawns in the water pool of the cave near the volcano on Theisland baryonyx handily plows through the 40-50 piranha you usually find in there.

Thanks for that point, I might see if I can't buy a couple of Barys then instead of taking sabers in there.

19 hours ago, Jim359 said:

Ok, did a lil test.

Ballistic damage is calculated differently from melee damage, I believe, so I don't think the reduction is as significant

2 hours ago, PuffyPony said:

Ballistic damage is calculated differently from melee damage, I believe, so I don't think the reduction is as significant

Ok, did a lil test.

Stabbed my wolf, 3164.9 - 3110.3 = 54.6 dmg.

Stabbed my saber w/o saddle 4087 - 4032.4 = 54.6 dmg.

Stabbed my saber w/saddle 4087 - 4070 = 17 dmg.

Looks the same, but with diff dmg base.

Archived