Long loading time

vanyelxp5

Long loading time

I don't understand why this takes so long to load. Is there an actual reason? Is it because I primarily play normal and it has to reconfigure everything? I assumed that's what the restart was for, not loading things before even loading the server..

It's been working on "PrimalGameData_BP_PrimitivePlus" for about 15 minutes now...

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Just on a side note, I've been having the long connection issue with connection failed timeout, on vanilla for a few times this week, each time verify files, and end up with the 3 files to be re-downloaded crud, try connect again and it still does the same. Verify again, same 3 files.

Verify, then reboot the machine, and it works fine.

Maybe you need to check that maybe. Hope you get it sorted out.

Yes, the connection time is very long on my computer too. It takes about 10 minutes to load Primitive+ and 3 minutes to connect to the server afterwards.

I think it is a matter of performance of your computer (mine is not the latest model, even if it is only 2 years old).

So it seems normal for the moment, the only thing to do in my opinion is to anticipate your connection time.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

I've run an SSD for the past 2 years, and prior to getting it, I was always mindful to put my games on my 7200rpm drive, and not a big one either. Whenever I was loading levels for other games, I'd always be the last to load in, then once I got my SSD I was quite often first in.

There's a big loading performance to be gained form a simple upgrade to an SSD. It makes everything run so much better, and you don't even need to have the OS on it, but it's always good to get a pair.

One for the OS, one for the games. Currently I have a 128 gig SSD for Windows, and 2 256gig SSDs (Raid 0 to make them 512 gig in one drive) for my games. When I first used SSD I bought one 128, followed by another 128 to add some space, but ended up forking out for the 2 256 SSDs within a year.

I'd recommend 128 for OS, and whatever you can afford to get, as big as possible, for your games.

AVOID THE HYBRID DRIVES, They aren't really SSDs... They simply have a harddrive that caches onto an SSD chip the "most used" things.

A good SSD and a decent processor (i5-6500 - 16 GB RAM) and primitive loads in about 7min. Normal game loads in 1min for normal the island, normal the center and scorched earth... 

they really have to fix this loading, does not make sense at all.. you download the files so they should be there available to be read, this is a terrible optimization for an official add-on, scorched earth, the center and Survival of the fittest do not have that problem, why primitive plus has?? it should work the same way.. Many more people would play primitive if loading time was normal and not so long (make a big difference especially when you are new to primitive and you dont know yet how awesome it is - even though it has more and more bugs and less fixes and no support whatsoever from developers)

• 11 months later...
Guest BubbaCrawfish
2 hours ago, ftjuliano said:

Funny that this problem is around for way over an yeard and nothing realy was done to solve it. All the old maps as The Island and dlcs (Center, Prim +) r completely abandoned as they r moving foward regardless.

Get an SSD.

To lump the DLC maps, (Island, Center) in with Prim+, is very naive. Prim+ is known to take a very long time to load, and those 'old maps' as you even said yourself, are old. Both of these would be 'abandoned' for different reasons.

On 09/02/2018 at 2:35 AM, BubbaCrawfish said:

Get an SSD.

To lump the DLC maps, (Island, Center) in with Prim+, is very naive. Prim+ is known to take a very long time to load, and those 'old maps' as you even said yourself, are old. Both of these would be 'abandoned' for different reasons.

Cant get an SSD atm. Although im not doing myself.
They wont be abandoned cuz they already are. The Island still has the poorest performance of most maps and The Center has countless bugs including a totally white screen when fog is on and stuff disappering when dropped on the ground.
I dont really think should be any excuses since this maps r like half on the game official maps and the most known ones. It just shows the lack of interest from the devs if u ask me.

Have 3k hours in my pocket so cant really say im rushing on my judgment.

• 1 month later...

It has nothing to do with your computer. The reason why is because Prim+, when converted from mod to total conversion, had its code organized in a fashion that created very very slow load times. WC devs have been promising to do a 'seekfree cook' on the prim+ code resulting in a load time same as the normal game. Thus far they still haven't done it.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Nice bump, but I'm relatively sure that an SSD loading Prim+, and an HDD loading Prim+, will have different loading times.

SSD and HDD really have a different loading time with primitive+, as @BubbaCrawfish said. But it's not that much of a difference (I wouldn't recommend to buy a SSD just because of that). Sadly @johnm81 is right, wc promised to look into the loading time of total conversions but haven't done much since then...and by now I doubt there will be done something about it anytime soon (or even at all...).

Guest BubbaCrawfish

When I bought my SSDs, as I have 4, I bought 2, 1 for the OS, and 1 for my games. If you simply get one SSD and simply run it with everything on it, you won't notice much difference in loading.

If you get 1 for OS, 2 for games, and mirror the game SSDs, you will see even more increase in the speed of it.

If you're thinking of upgrading in the future, you're probably better going for some SSDs as their prices have dropped, and they are getting larger capacities.

Currently, I have 2 128s, and 2 256s.

1 128 for OS, the other 128 is for development tools I use, then the other 2 are currently spanned (Giving 512g) as I was needing more space than speed.

SSDs are probably coming out in all 'gaming' brand-name PCs now, and likely to also be in other forms such as Laptops for instance.

A laptop with an SSD will last longer on battery, than if it were holding an HDD.

I'm very sure that I have been ruined for using HDDs for gaming... It's just that good.

• 8 months later...

As much as I hate necroing a dead post, I felt this was a valid time to do so.

I launch single player and it often takes over 10 minutes to even kick over to the load screen, and this computer should NOT have that issue.

i7-6800K

64 GB RAM

260 GB SSD for OS

2 TB primary SATA 3 drive, 10k RPM, 70% full for Ark and other games

Running 10 mods, disabling them changes virtually nothing for load times.

Optimization must mean something different in Wild Card's world.

And it wont get that much better if its on a SSD:

(Im connecting to my public server over LAN so bandwidth isnt the issue.)

/EDIT

Specs:

4670k@4.5GHz (its around a locked 7th gen i5's performance)

32 GB RAM (no page file)

Radeon Vega 64

Samsung 850 EVO SSD

If this continues eventually i will have to ditch P+ :( .

• 3 months later...

Sorry to necro, but this is a top result in Google searches. I run two 1TB WD Blacks in RAID0 for games and a separate 1TB WD Blue for OS and pagefile (locked to 4GiB) and this mod takes like ten minutes to load. I normally beat SSD users into the normal six maps (SATA SSD, not NVME/M.2!). If I was rich I'd purchase an M.2 and see if it helps, but this is just bad. I really want to try P+, but due to it requiring BE and these insane load times, I cannot.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Yea, M.2 is good, and better than normal SATA. Just don't underestimate the performance gained from doing 2 SSDs, having the OS on one, games on another, and having moved your page file to another drive.

You will probably want to get 4 SSDs, of considerable size. I just got 4 240gig ones for 25USD each, and 3 480s for 50USD. They're cheap as heck now.

You're limited to 6Gbps on SATA though. M.2 is limited to 32Gbps. It would take five SATA SSDs to get close to a single M.2 in performance. You can get 1TB M.2 NVME sticks now on the cheap. My boss bought a laptop with no SATA on it, only M.2 onboard. We removed the 120GB M.2 and popped in a 1TB. He can boot Gentoo Linux in a matter of seconds, bring up VirtualBox, and be at the login screen on both Windows 7 Pro and WIndows 10 Pro in a few seconds more. All three OSes run fine at the same time. Now, let's think about M.2 in RAID0...

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Better than a 7200RPM HDD though, so anything is an increase over that.

Also you are missing the idea of mirror raid (Raid 1) to get more speed.

Hold up, you're actually using hard drives... We're talking of SSDs, and between those and an SSD on straight SATA, they'll be outperformed easily.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived