How to keep dinos safe while offline? PvE server.

cmorris975

Hi all,

I built a base on pillars and put all my dinos inside it in the hopes of preventing dinos from spawning inside while I am offline (and killing all my pets like they usually do).  Well, it didn't work as I woke up to find all of my dinos killed yet again this morning by a Therazinosaurus.  Did I not build my base high enough in the air maybe?  This is frustrating.  Do I have to have pets and turrets capable of wiping out a Thera maybe?

Thanks,

Chris

10 minutes ago, cmorris975 said:

Hi all,

I built a base on pillars and put all my dinos inside it in the hopes of preventing dinos from spawning inside while I am offline (and killing all my pets like they usually do).  Well, it didn't work as I woke up to find all of my dinos killed yet again this morning by a Therazinosaurus.  Did I not build my base high enough in the air maybe?  This is frustrating.  Do I have to have pets and turrets capable of wiping out a Thera maybe?

Thanks,

Chris

Building on pillars is good bc it allows you to build on the most uneven ground. One thing you will want to do is learn either stone FENCE FOUNDATIONS or metal fence foundations. This will allow you to build a wall underneath and around the pillars to dinos can't kill your tames though the ceiling tiles. 

Clipping  is a big issue right now bc dinos can and will sink or completely fall through ceilings tiles leaving them exposed. That is why u use fence foundations to surround your base with walls.

Look up YouTube videos on how to build. GG FIZZ, MONKEY PUZZLE, FRESONIS are some good ones to get a lot of good tips and tricks.

Best of luck!

8 minutes ago, cmorris975 said:

Thanks for the tips.  So possibly a Therazin spawned on top of my base and then sunk through the ceiling, got inside and then killed us all?  Building fence foundations around my base will stop that from happening?

I don't think it spawned on top of your base. The game keeps going even though you are offline. Meaning that wild dinos still roam around. Is it a closed box? Is your dinos far enough away from the walls that ANY part of their body isn't showing?  Basically what is happening is that the wild dinos is getting good aggro ed to something inside. If you build a wall around your base, nothing can get in. 

Depending on where you build 4 walls high is sufficient to keep all predatory dinos out. Stone is your friend bc of the hp resistance. Still not as good as metal but will suffice for new players. 

Here is what I would do. Build walls on fence foundations underneath your base but surrounding your base. Then, build another fence out of stone gates or stone behemoth gates atleast 10 foundation lengths away from your base. This will afford you some real estate. It will also allow you to hold your early tames. Place a few more foundations inside you new pen so no dinos spawn inside your pen. Looks like crap, but works.

14 minutes ago, cmorris975 said:

Thanks for the tips.  So possibly a Therazin spawned on top of my base and then sunk through the ceiling, got inside and then killed us all?  Building fence foundations around my base will stop that from happening?

Nope. Your dino's sunk through the floor, the theri saw them and killed them.

Don't build your dino pen on pillars. If you do, build a skirt so that way your tames are protected even if they sink through the floor. Like @BigRed1227 mentioned, you can use fence foundations to place walls down. You can also extend walls down from the ceiling tile on top of your pillar, but they may not evenly touch the ground.

Also, keep your tames on passive if they're inside. I've seen many players get wiped because they kept all their tames on neutral.

3 minutes ago, Irk said:

Nope. Your dino's sunk through the floor, the theri saw them and killed them.

Don't build your dino pen on pillars. If you do, build a skirt so that way your tames are protected even if they sink through the floor. Like @BigRed1227 mentioned, you can use fence foundations to place walls down. You can also extend walls down from the ceiling tile on top of your pillar, but they may not evenly touch the ground.

Also, keep your tames on passive if they're inside. I've seen many players get wiped because they kept all their tames on neutral.

Yes, if you have a carno, or some raptors or any carnivorous mount, keep that on neutral BUT everything else on passive. That way, if one of your dinos does get attacked, it will help defend.

BTW are you on pc xbox or ps4?

3 minutes ago, BigRed1227 said:

Yes, if you have a carno, or some raptors or any carnivorous mount, keep that on neutral BUT everything else on passive. That way, if one of your dinos does get attacked, it will help defend

So long as they're strong enough to kill a theri, which unfortunately most carnivores will have issues with unless they're high enough. These things hit like a rex; raptors, carno's, etc. are going to have a tough time defending against it.

I'm playing on Xbox.

Just now, Irk said:

So long as they're strong enough to kill a theri, which unfortunately most carnivores will have issues with unless they're high enough. These things hit like a rex; raptors, carno's, etc. are going to have a tough time defending against it.

Very true...they are nasty, but once you got a pack of carnivores, even 5 or 6 lower level (under 100) raptors, they are no big deal.

It does depend on where you set up, barring kiters, on how you set up your base. A good perimeter wall can help to keep anything that might do some serious harm out, and break aggro lines of sight and distance. Obviously, if you set up in one of the "easy" zones, the worst you should have to worry about is the occasional carno, or theri, so a smallish wall might suffice.

Take my old setup on my old PVE server for example; we set up on 48/48, the rocky plateau overlooking 50/50. We used that to our advantage and built a single, large wall facing towards the volcano to keep any threat, rexs, carnos, alphas, and the occasional threat of a giga that was heading to 50/50. But there was another threat we had to deal with that our wall did jack all to stop, Argents. So to counter that we built a decent sized barn to store all the tames that argents can aggro on( from our mammoth all the way down to our small shoulder mounts) inside, while keeping our tames that argents dont aggro on to outside (our rexs, our giga, brontos, and paracers). Up until our last month on the server it held up fairly nicely, until the allos that is...

Keep all tames inside of a full enclosed structure, plant X/turrets scattered throughout base, and have guard dogs. Also dont build your structures too far apart/spaced out, cause things will spawn in with too much space in between. 

I dont actually like building on pillars because I have seen a lot of tames fall through the floor and be exposed to the outside, that includes the eggs they drop. (Xbox One) It does no good to build higher when they just fall through, but if you have to build on pillar then you have to secure around the base of them i.e. fence foundations with walls or spikes to protect that perimeter, also putting X/turrets around that. 

Have a guard dog, set a few powerful tame (Rex, Spino, Giga, etc.) to neutral, change follow distance down to at least medium, then have those guards follow a tame(Sit on tame then whistle the guard)  that is set to passive(so it wont move). SOOOO if a baddy gets in the guards will kill it then return to it passive tame location. 

55 minutes ago, MesQueUnGame said:

I found that a fantastic way of keeping my dinosaurs safe is have several Plant Species X around your base or cage. All you need is crop plots, seeds, fertilizer and some water. Once it grows fully, it requires very little maintenance.

Hope that helps! :)

Be careful with these. Plant X can give you more problems than you want if something big walks within radius.

5 hours ago, cmorris975 said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

We keep all our dinos inside with the exception of gigas and brontos.. Inside out pens we have a either plant species x or turrets to protect since all the indoors dinos are on passive.

1 minute ago, madfretter said:

We keep all our dinos inside with the exception of gigas and brontos.. Inside out pens we have a either plant species x or turrets to protect since all the indoors dinos are on passive.

Side note.... an awesome side use for snails would be for base defense... Keep one on  agressive and when another animal attacks and eats it, it dies from the Poly...lol

I tend to build a 4 high stone wall with a Behemoth Gate as soon as i can. Doedicuous and Therizino really speed up this process. Never put spike walls infront of your gate wall as it can be used as a stepping stone to get over your wall, only use if you know your wall is high enough (like 5-6 high). 

Keep all egg farming / farming dinos on passive and dino's that can fight on neutral. My therizino can pretty much kill anything. I also have a couple turtles that can soak the damage while my therizino kills whatever it is. 

Location is also very important. 

Archived