Using on multi systems

jbaker4433

15 minutes ago, jbaker4433 said:

Using on multi systems

I bought the game through steam and I was wanting to know if I could install it on another computer so a family member can create their own survivor and play it as well?

you can install it on 100 computers but each steam account can only run one game no matter on how many computeres it is installed. You cannot even play two different games at the same time on 2 computers using the same account.

If you want to play together you need 2 steam accounts and 2 ark copies.

• Volunteer Moderator

@jbaker4433

Survivors are per server and tied to your Steam ID.  If you have a survivor on two servers(for the same Steam ID), and you Cross Ark travel with your character from one server to the other, I believe you have to either take over the other character(replace them with the character you are using for travel) or you cannot transfer.

As for sharing on Steam, I am pretty sure sharing had been turned off a while back, so as to prevent banned players from creating a new steam accounts and then sharing with that account to get around bans, and/or for other shenanigans; I am double checking on that.  Even if sharing was allowed, I doubt for a game like Ark that they would allowed shared accounts to run the game at the same time.

I know for me, I have two accounts on Steam and each with their own licenses for Ark and Scorched Earth.  One is for a special admin account for my servers, that I use to create special raidable structures and other things on the servers for the other players to find/attack/destroy/claim/etc., leaving my other account free for just playing and regular server admining.  

The upside for that is that I only have to download the games, mods, and updates once, since the accounts share the same executable; but it is always a bit of a pain having to log out of one account, log in to the other, and start up everything again.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, jbaker4433 said:

Ok. For now though can you have multi survivors on one acct?

@Jerryn So if me and my wife want to play at the same time she has to create a Steam acct and buy the game for her acct? What if we want to use the same steam acct can she create her own survivor as well?

Good thinking on tagging me in the edit.  There is a cool down after a certain number of posts for new members; slows down the spammers.

My understanding is that you each would need your own copy for your own accounts to play at the same time.

If you use the same account, you would not be able to play on the same server.

That is, if you create a survivor on a server, and then she joins that server after you are done playing, she will be using your character.  If she tries to create a new character on that server, it would erase your old character and replace it with her new character.

Howerver, if you play on different servers, then there is no issue.   But, if you decide to get a second copy one day, for her own steam account, she would not be able to use the character she created under your acccount; because it is tied to your Steam ID.

Archived