ARK Digest Q&A!

Jatheish

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we see spawn rates and spawn placement on the centre fixed? The amount of dunkle's in the ocean makes it too dangerous to do anything in the deep out of fear of accidentally hitting one. As well with the last patch, the rex spawns on south jungle are now more numerous than on volcano island. We also are missing many new dinos or their spawn rates are so low they may as well not be there at all.

8 hours ago, coldfiresun said:

Can we see spawn rates and spawn placement on the centre fixed? The amount of dunkle's in the ocean makes it too dangerous to do anything in the deep out of fear of accidentally hitting one. As well with the last patch, the rex spawns on south jungle are now more numerous than on volcano island. We also are missing many new dinos or their spawn rates are so low they may as well not be there at all.

The caves are also infested!

14 hours ago, Skuf ★ said:

1. Skins being part of the hit-box, I want to wear my Top Hat skin in PvP, but that just makes my head a huge target.

2. Higher quality Crossbows do not influence Grappling Hooks, could you make is so better Crossbows can shoot Grappling Hooks farther?

3. The possibility to use handguns in the offhand with an accuracy penalty? Pistols are severely underused at the moment, and this would create an interesting meta of people dual wielding revolvers, or using pistols and shields.

4. Nobody is using Smoke Grenades in PvP, give them some additional use. At least making the effect last much longer than 40 seconds, maybe a few minutes? Or some blinding effect?

5. An easier way to change ammo type? For example, I want to be able to switch from Fire Arrows to Grappling Hooks in the middle of a fight without opening up the inventory.

6. Tribe Log sorting from Newest To Oldest. It would be awesome if we didn't need to scroll all the way down for the latest things.

7. Tribe Log Timestamp (maybe local time?) instead of ingame days. It's currently very difficult to understand when a particular event took place from the tribe log.

8. Could we have the Plant Species x idle swaying animation turned off by default? A lot of tribes have hundreds of plant turrets, all of them swaying from side to side for no reason. Farther than a few meters, that motion is not even discernible, it would improve performance a LOT.

9. Maybe an event specific item (or generally available but very expensive) that lets you rename weapons? I would love to have a more personalized gear set.

10. The ability to read chinese/russian/etc characters with english localisation. This one would actually be very nice, those "ToFu" boxes in the chat are such a pain to deal with when you need to communicate with someone not knowing what country they are from.

11. At the moment a lot of people are using TEK Replicators as storage because of the high number of slots. Can we get bigger, more expensive vaults (TEK Vault)? All our replicators are filled with flint :(

12. A log for vaults, similar to the tribe log, with the names of people that took and added what items. If it's too difficult to add this feature to current vaults, perhaps add it to a future bigger vault (TEK Vaults? :D).

13. Getting shot in the weapon could decrease the durability of the weapon and just a tiny bit of hp?

14. The possibility of adding all available attachments for a weapon? Realistically, having a scope, a laser pointer and a suppressor on a rifle is not at all uncommon, maybe increase the weight for each attachment added to it?

Thanks for all your hard work guys! :Jerblove:

For your ToFu  

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732646921  

I'm working on updating it to use the Ark styling and have rudimentary support for some emojis by using the PUA.

What about water dinos I mean how come everything and there mother aggro to a mosa I'm sorry that's just plain stupid. Cause way to many problems first need a big water pin now u have to make walls to enclose the gaps in pillars so now everyone Dc's in your pin  why have everything aggro mosa plesi is the question?

Will the upcoming UI change include changes to skill points? Ex. crafting speed and cooking (quality) being separated instead of being "hidden" within one skill. Swim speed being affected by both movement speed and oxygen.
Is there a possibility of adding a taming skill. We need more specific roles in tribes. There are only a few different roles to pick now. Builder, farmer, saddle crafter, weaponsmith, etc. but everyone's just as great at taming.

We need a way to destroy items while flying water pipes are to hard to get rid of. If there times is up they should break when we fly Into them.

Would also like some new tools.

Lantern: can use oil to burn

A destruction scepter: shoot a light beem at your items you wish to destroy. Pesky water pipes to high no problem.

Water tower: the better the item used to make it the more water it can store, would be nice to pipe water from are tower instead of destroying the map with pipes. Morellatops could be used to fill it.

WithTek tier here we need a way to store are dinos in capsules yes I know it sounds like Pokemon BUT less entities loading in the map is a good thing.

I would like to see a new map type one way bigger then all the other maps. Current ARK maps make it feel like everyone is living ontop of eachother. The map would have a lot less interactive items like trees and rocks.Instead you will be asked at the start pick a civilization to spawn in. There you would find merchants and traders. Towns will be large enough to ride tames in but to compacted to ride big games Into. It would need to be a quest orientated map. Earn coins to buy wood or stone or metal ect. Given a bigger map we would be able to build further from other players have more places to hide or thrive. 

Now its time for some management/technical questions:

1. Due to the recent AWS outage and the loss of PS4 Servers 225-228 (who needs PS4 anyway, XBOX 4 LIFE...jk) what new/different safeguards in regards to save data will you be implementing to help resolve similar issues in the future?

Which leads us to our next questions; As those of us who are passionate about the game and follow you guys on twitter and such, two things are apparent from your recent updates in regards to your trip to the GDC. 1. Your entire technical team was at the convention "finally getting to meet everyone" which is great. But it also inadvertently occurred at the same time as the AWS outage.  Props for a bunch of your team sitting down through hotel wifi and sorting the issues, but how do you intend to better prepare through policies, staff, and technical systems for similar situations in the future? 

And building off of that, much of your released marketing in regards to the GDC was all about hiring! Woot Woot! At the same time your company faces increased scrutiny and fallout from players in regards to slow support response times, ineffective copy/paste support responses, and general feeling that your company is mostly staffed by developers and content creators, not support or technical staff.  Therefore, in regards to the recent GDC outing and loads of positions, what percentage of those positions will be Support or Technical staff, and what percentage is more of the same content creators?

My final question is in regards to the development cycle.  As your scope has changed and grown your intended "full" game release date has been pushed back multiple times.  This has led to many of your customers questioning your motives/abilities/just about everything while also demanding continual performance increases, even while continuing to play and demand new and cool content. Fun little dichotomy in the motives of the consumer, however, lately we are seeing more and more performance updates as we approach what is optimistically the games full release date.  At this point in your development cycle what percentage of work do you see falling under performance/bug mitigation/polish, and what percentage is still content creation?

Thanks for listening! Keep it up, step it up, looking forward to everything you guys have in store!

Probably been asked already but would like to know if there any plans to improve the offline/single-player mode? Few things need sorting out I feel. 

• Performance/Optimisation - Very lacking compared to on Official servers, I have to lower my settings to accommodate. I'm guessing this is because it'd rendering from Hard-drive rather than via server but this needs big optimisation to be acceptable.
  • Caves - Nothing spawns(creatures) and seem to be less loot drops than there is online. Needs to be a new way of populating the caves as things only spawn when you are on your way out and while it makes it very easy to collect loot drops and Artifacts I would prefer the caves to have lots of animals to give me the challenge.
  • NPC's - I would love to have some computer controlled bots to battle against or even trade with. Possible NPC Bush People mod may fill this quite nicely if it keeps developing especially as it's on the Sponsored mods list.

Will you guys be rebalancing spawn zones? Everywhere I go I see the entire Island all at once and it gets to become an eyesore more than anything else. Not only that, but it makes it really difficult to pinpoint what critter you're looking for, as most of the time it can be anywhere on the island. I think it would be much more interesting to have each individual creature spawn in select areas. Like Dodos spawning on the eastern side and Hesperornis on the western side with Kairuku spawning up north and Ichthyornis down south. Think of it like each area having it's own ecosystem that isn't just 30 different creatures bundled up in one area for no reason.

• Jen unpinned this topic
  • Jatheish pinned this topic

Archived