Why I'm forced to break up with you, Ark.

Salviah

23 minutes ago, Salviah said:

Well, I would like to hear more about the servers Arkasaurio was talking about because if they exist, I absolutely want to try them. So if anybody has some information that would be great.

Again, no personal experience actually playing on these servers, but here's what I was talking about: https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/152390648074411380/ Since it's from Jat, the equivalent post is probably somewhere on this forum as well.

17 minutes ago, Sheldor5 said:

In other games, to "transfer" your stuff between servers you have to actaully pay real money for it (World of Warcraft for example) ... with this they would make money AND decrease such bullsh*t

There might be something to this idea mainly because it's so simple, but it would largely ruin cross server trading, aside from maybe financially stable players pulling very high end trades. I could get behind this, but that's due to my privilege of having a Western tech industry income; in my younger days I'd have been virulently opposed.

Not sure I have a better (and certainly not as straightforward) a solution either way.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sheldor5 said:

What's the point of wiping tribes across the whole Ark Network? Please tell me another game wich such an abusable feature where you can send your army across physical servers?

None, but I haven't been an avid MMO player in like 15 years (Dark Age of Camelot in the house!). I could be wrong, but I don't think it's exactly the same comparison, say as with WoW. Servers in Ark are considerably smaller, so there's also a lot more perfectly legitimate reasons to move armies across servers.

There are probably some compromises that make it a little more viable. Maybe there are limited free transfers, with a pretty high limit, small tribes, solo players, traders, barely impacted, but you need to pay (something) to bring 100 dinos and everything you need for a super base. Maybe certain classes of items cost to transfer (ammo, raw mats, building stuff), while others don't. Maybe all servers are grouped into "sub-clusters" Island-SE-Center with free transfer between them and paid transfer out to other "sub-clusters." I think there are certainly ways this could be come part of the solution.

Overall though, imagine the salt when cross server griefers or mega alphas are only the ones that can financially afford to transfer and when those that they terrorize can't afford to move away.

59 minutes ago, Sheldor5 said:

In other games, to "transfer" your stuff between servers you have to actaully pay real money for it (World of Warcraft for example) ... with this they would make money AND decrease such bullsh*t

You are correct good sir. I us d to play wow and I did transfer once but that was because I didn't realize my original server was 80% alliance and only 20% horde. Just like with this game those odds make pvp no fun whatsoever.

a lot of cowards on this game like the whole 80/20 split. Makes me sick. And they call themselves good ?

17 minutes ago, Arkasaurio said:

None, but I haven't been an avid MMO player in like 15 years (Dark Age of Camelot in the house!). I could be wrong, but I don't think it's exactly the same comparison, say as with WoW. Servers in Ark are considerably smaller, so there's also a lot more perfectly legitimate reasons to move armies across servers.

There are probably some compromises that make it a little more viable. Maybe there are limited free transfers, with a pretty high limit, small tribes, solo players, traders, barely impacted, but you need to pay (something) to bring 100 dinos and everything you need for a super base. Maybe certain classes of items cost to transfer (ammo, raw mats, building stuff), while others don't. Maybe all servers are grouped into "sub-clusters" Island-SE-Center with free transfer between them and paid transfer out to other "sub-clusters." I think there are certainly ways this could be come part of the solution.

Overall though, imagine the salt when cross server griefers or mega alphas are only the ones that can financially afford to transfer and when those that they terrorize can't afford to move away.

Not arguing the different types of games. But I do not believe there is any legitimate reason to transfer armies across servers. Some of the devs even said it was the biggest mistake they made. Cross ark is poop plain and simple. Everybody hates it except the ones that abuse it

1 hour ago, Salviah said:

Actually, I don't like the idea of paying with real money for something like this because to me it's unfair, but the sad truth is, yes it would help a lot....

Yeah it would be but it would help ALOT!!!! All 60 members of the mega aren't going to keep paying every time they want to raid somone. Definitely not cost efficient. 

Now say if some poor guy got completely wiped and was being tortured and grieved then I am pretty sure he would be willing to pay to get away from his horrible, evil assailants 

7 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Yeah it would be but it would help ALOT!!!! All 60 members of the mega aren't going to keep paying every time they want to raid somone. Definitely not cost efficient. 

Now say if some poor guy got completely wiped and was being tortured and grieved then I am pretty sure he would be willing to pay to get away from his horrible, evil assailants 

First n transferes could be for free or something!?

2 minutes ago, Sheldor5 said:

First n transferes could be for free or something!?

That would be a good idea actually. Worth it to go in but not worth it to leave lol

i serious think if they fixed mainly cross ark there wouldn't be so many people leaving. Along with that it either needs to be a wipe or just have non cross ark clusters. All way fixes and permanent ones. Only the future will tell 

i am slowly playing less and less each day. I dont have it in me to play on an unoffical atm becasue the last 4 ive played on all of a sudden dissappeared. Or they have regular wipes. And playing offical its just not an option for me as a solo player. i Like the idea of being able to tranfer a character to a different server just so you dont have to grind stupid levels again but i feel like you should be able to tranfers Zillions of rockets and dinos. 

2 hours ago, Arkasaurio said:

Again, no personal experience actually playing on these servers, but here's what I was talking about: https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/152390648074411380/ Since it's from Jat, the equivalent post is probably somewhere on this forum as well.

There might be something to this idea mainly because it's so simple, but it would largely ruin cross server trading, aside from maybe financially stable players pulling very high end trades. I could get behind this, but that's due to my privilege of having a Western tech industry income; in my younger days I'd have been virulently opposed.

Not sure I have a better (and certainly not as straightforward) a solution either way.

while trading across servers is nice. tbh you could definately go without it. if someone want a sweet ptera work for it.

1 hour ago, Volcano637 said:

Not arguing the different types of games. But I do not believe there is any legitimate reason to transfer armies across servers. Some of the devs even said it was the biggest mistake they made. Cross ark is poop plain and simple. Everybody hates it except the ones that abuse it

Maybe it's our definition of army here that's the difference? My "army" and "warchest" isn't going to upset the balance of power on any server - best I could hope for would be a little nasty surprise to any new neighbors that try to raid me, but even that's a long shot :). However, there are happy mediums.

We'll have to agree to disagree on whether cross server is valid overall. I like it, but think it needs improvements and I am not nearly good enough at this game (or any game, lol) to be abusing the system, unless hiding items away on a second server to have something to fall back on if I get wiped to nothing is abuse.

If we're talking about monetizing transfers though, I just think it has to be done carefully. For example, with a flat transfer fee, 10-20 players from a mega alpha pay to invade a well populated server, now 50+ other players need to pay the transfer fee to escape invaders (for sake of argument, let's say they can't be beaten). WC faces a different sort of poop-storm, and gets accused of fostering this situation because it makes them money. 

15 minutes ago, Arkasaurio said:

Maybe it's our definition of army here that's the difference? My "army" and "warchest" isn't going to upset the balance of power on any server - best I could hope for would be a little nasty surprise to any new neighbors that try to raid me, but even that's a long shot :). However, there are happy mediums.

We'll have to agree to disagree on whether cross server is valid overall. I like it, but think it needs improvements and I am not nearly good enough at this game (or any game, lol) to be abusing the system, unless hiding items away on a second server to have something to fall back on if I get wiped to nothing is abuse.

If we're talking about monetizing transfers though, I just think it has to be done carefully. For example, with a flat transfer fee, 10-20 players from a mega alpha pay to invade a well populated server, now 50+ other players need to pay the transfer fee to escape invaders (for sake of argument, let's say they can't be beaten). WC faces a different sort of poop-storm, and gets accused of fostering this situation because it makes them money. 

Yeah different definitions totally lol my definition of army is atleast 50 Dinos and a fully operable base with atleast 20 auto turrets and plenty of spiked walls and behemoth gates. That happens a little too often for my liking.

i get that cross ark could be good for trading but that is really the only good thing I see about it. And I unfortunately with all the bad that comes with it the bad outweighs the good in my opinion.

and no what you do would not be what I would call abusing the system at all. Abusing it is the example I gave above.

3 hours ago, LilNastyGurl said:

"Is this server nice ?"
40 on 50 servers had the same response : "no."

Just want you to know even the most friendliest server is going to have this as their default response because sarcasm.

Be worried about the servers that claim it is.

Already gave my response on that :

"ude, anyway that was more a metaphore to say it's the same everywhere. We know a lot of players on Ark now since we started to play a year ago. They are all moving from server to server and it's always the same. And if on one or two server it's not the case yet, it's just a matter of time in my opinion"

But again, paying would help a lot. But the easiest way to fix it and everybody can be happy would be to have the 2 types or servers (transfers on or off) and let people choose where they want to go...

• Volunteer Moderator
29 minutes ago, spacejam said:

while trading across servers is nice. tbh you could definately go without it. if someone want a sweet ptera work for it.

And if someone doesn't want their server wiped then they should work towards keeping it a busy and active one. There's no good straightforward solution to fixing an issue that's brought about by playerbase mentality, developer tinkering can only do so much.

1 minute ago, ciabattaroll said:

And if someone doesn't want their server wiped then they should work towards keeping it a busy and active one. There's no good straightforward solution to fixing an issue that's brought about by playerbase mentality, developer tinkering can only do so much.

That is more or less 100% the issues player mentality, which is why im still convinced it is a social experiment of the goverment and we are all being watch #Illuminati

1 hour ago, spacejam said:

i am slowly playing less and less each day. I dont have it in me to play on an unoffical atm becasue the last 4 ive played on all of a sudden dissappeared. Or they have regular wipes. And playing offical its just not an option for me as a solo player. i Like the idea of being able to tranfer a character to a different server just so you dont have to grind stupid levels again but i feel like you should be able to tranfers Zillions of rockets and dinos. 

That's the thing man. Leveling back up is the best part of the game. I love redoing the first 60 levels. And no that's not sarcasm. With the new xp the way it is it only takes a couple of days to get there.

i can even remember how many 60 plus characters I have hidden on dead or low pop servers. That's why I don't really care if my main gets caged or not. I have started over a lot and after I get wiped and start over I really start enjoying myself again it might seem crazy but getting myself from 1-10 in like 20 minutes feels awesome 

36 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

Any chance of getting non cross ark servers? Or even a couple more clusters? Yes that would be a good idea. I am just hoping for some even if it is a little. The non tame servers don't count ?

45 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

Agreed overall, but I think there are probably ways to improve the system to cut down on the worst of the abuse - they're floating around all over the place, a lot bad, some good. I know how it goes though opinions are like you know what, everyone has one and they all stink.

At the same time, my current server was one where there was an active and friendly community. The alpha was aloof, but several friendly betas helped new players and beat down griefers. Transfers started and obelisks and drops were mostly locked down, and things went a long pretty much as usual for a while, but then raiders started getting in. They'd come at off hours and just smash beaches, but for a while the betas and even the alphas did a decent job at holding them off. Most of the server did actively work together as able to keep our little community together, but by fighting back those beta tribes became a "more fun target" and eventually most left the server. Now it's a complete free for all, where new players are treated with extreme suspicion. One of the invading tribes stayed sort of, has a guy that "cleans" the beaches regularly, and will do everything possible to pick a fight with any of the folks that have anything to justify having his tribemates transfer in and wipe everything.

My point in all that is, my server was "one of the good ones" and even with everyone doing their best to band together it wasn't enough. There was no back stabbing, the existing alpha only threw in the towel on fighting back when it was really only their stuff left worth saving anyway. We definitely had the right mentality.

All of that said, I still prefer the current transfer system to none at all. Getting to see how an invasion through attrition works out was pretty incredible for something organically created by player interaction in a video game.

This is honestly the most beautiful thing I have ever read and there is nothing in here that ARK or anyone else could disagree with unless they are those grieving raiders. Honestly, there should be just character transfers and not dinosuars so it makes it fair and easier. Or maybe just only certain base dinosuars like nothing above a level 35 saddle?  I think that could really work or at least an idea to think about. Theres a lot of things they could do to fix this.

2 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

how about instead of trying to be rude and justify your decisions, you can at least be like wow that's something we could look into because I promise you plenty of ark members are on the same page against this.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Fish said:

how about instead of trying to be rude and justify your decisions, you can at least be like wow that's something we could look into because I promise you plenty of ark members are on the same page against this.

I was most definitely not trying to be rude, rather using his line of logic to also show what could be done to combat transferral raids with the tools at hand.

Archived