So I joined a 18 day old Unofficial and found this...

UXR51

So I joined a 18 day old Unofficial and found this...

So I joined what appeared to be a good 10X unofficial server that started 18 days ago. A 6 man tribe claims to have built a base with a aquared perimeter metal wall 60x60x60x60 and 15 tall double walled. Inside with a humongous main base. 10 max level trex, few gigas, 6 max level arg, 6 max level quetz, 500 auto turrets. 

I asked in all chat what was going on after someone was claiming they were admins.  Later when offline it appears like a wild dino spawned inside my sealed metal cube base and killed all my dinos and then dissapeared. 

They claim they are not admin friends. What do you think? Should I leave?

20170221225904_1_Easy-Resize.com (1).jpg

I'd say that this is how unofficial servers can be. This can happen on ANY unofficial server, whether the admins claim they're the best thing since sliced bread. It's also a 10x server so nothing above is out of the ordinary. Anyone with a bit of ARK experience could knock up metal quite quickly. I'd say move to an official and never face this question again.

Leave.

I don't get why you are bothering to bring up their base construction on x10 when there are 6 miners (like get over it), but the whole "dino spawned in your metal base and wiped you" thing is more important.

If they're going to wipe you with admin commands and wild dino spawns then why bother? Is this PvE btw or PvP?

40 minutes ago, GamerPerfection said:

Try joining an Unofficial server that has Admin Logging enabled. That would put your mind at rest re dino spawning.

There's no "honest" reason for an Unofficial server not to have Admin Logging enabled.

They do have admin logging but they often restart the server, password protect it for like an hour, then restart server without password protection. 

Is there a way to look at the logs?

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, UXR51 said:

Is there a way to look at the logs?

Ah well, that's the issue actually, you can only see the admin commands when they are actually carried out in the chat box, so it's not fool proof unfortunately.

Just now, UXR51 said:

They do have admin logging but they often restart the server, password protect it for like an hour, then restart server without password protection. 

Restarting the server with password protection for an hour is very suspicious behaviour. In fact, the only time I have ever restarted my server with password protection was for less than 5 minutes, and that was to check decay timers after I had enabled and adjusted them to make sure they worked and didn't cause any problems. That's the only single time i've ever done it.

But often restarting a server with password protection for an hour is something that screams dodgy and I would leave that server especially if the admins do not provide a satisfactory reason why they do that.

5 hours ago, Orion said:

My question is why were none of your perfect Dinos on Neutral.
Talk about noob mistakes.

If they decided to spawn in a giga, or high level rex, it doesn't matter if the few dino's you have are on neutral or not. Chances are you're going to lose a few things, if not everything. Besides, I'm sure he assumed that since they were inside, they were safe. No need to have your zoo on neutral when inside, especially on a predominantly PvE server. I'll pass on the very few circumstances that may suggest otherwise, please.

To OP:

Leave. While a six man tribe can build a huge structure and tame a lot of things in no time on a 10x server, if you even suspect them of using admin commands to wipe you than it's time to go. There's plenty of servers out there to choose from.

The only good server admin is no server admin; even then, you have to be weary. My dedicated has no admins. The only reason one of us gets admin is to DestroyAllDinos once a week. 

• Volunteer Moderator

Skipping all of the opinions on what is and is not a good admin, because the will vary by server, style, and what the players want:

1.  Yes, it is easy for a group of 6 to build that base on a 10x server, especially if the 10X applies to harvest, XP, and tame, as you get an indirect multiplier for XP due to the fact you harvest more(more XP if I am not mistaken) and you can craft more(definitely more XP), pus XP sharing.  Then throw in well planned use of Exporer notes and a few other tricks, and a tribe can power level in no time in those conditions.

2. If you decide that you don't trust the server, server community, and/or admin(s) on the server, then it is probably best to move on.  The only caveat I would add to that is to make sure you are not looking for problems where there is not one(and not saying you are).

Not sure how active that server is, but if it is light activity or if you built off the well traveled paths, so that your base is mostly in stasis when you are not online, then animals won't have time to spawn in, kill stuff, and wander off; as they would also be in stasis.

And, when trying out servers, as you try them out, get to know some of the community and see how you like it.  Don't get overly invested in a server. I have tried out servers before and then left after a few days because it was not for me; I even took down my base and unclaimed my dinos, so that I did not leave a mess behind me.

My wife and I admin on a server. We are very trustworthy and do not let any of this crap go on. Her and I will be renting our own server probably next week.
going to be PvE with just a couple mods (7) and slightely boosted taming for us working stiffs that dont have time to tame for hours. 

Admin abuse is on the rise. Finding a reliable server that will be around is also hard to find. (I am buying a 6 month block right out of the gate)
My wife is usually the main admin. She does like to build and usually makes some sort of crazy fancy base, HOWEVER, she NEVER interferes with the populous in an abusive way.

I am PR. I only pop into admin mode when absolutely necessary (3 times in the last 8 months) on line. My main job is keeping the mods and server up to date on the back end. I'm also responsible for all the advertising on the various boards like here and Reddit and FB, I manage the Steam group too.  In game I just play the game as a normal player. 

Do not be turned off by Unofficial servers. finding a good one can be a chore but once you do find a good one ARK really shines.

• Volunteer Moderator

There is no proof here that the admins of that server are up to no good. The only suspicion is if they are regularly password-locking the server for hours at a time. Without knowing whether that "actually" happens, or what the reason for it is, then it is only suspicion.

20 minutes ago, GamerPerfection said:

There is no proof here that the admins of that server are up to no good. The only suspicion is if they are regularly password-locking the server for hours at a time. Without knowing whether that "actually" happens, or what the reason for it is, then it is only suspicion.

While you can assume they aren't, I can assure you they are... No proof doesn't mean anything either way you can't say they aren't just as I can say they are.

Who said spawning in dinos on a unoffical is "up to no good"? lolol

Maybe its good, maybe its bad how would we know. ;)

99% sure they are admin'n him.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Manta said:

While you can assume they aren't, I can assure you they are... No proof doesn't mean anything either way you can't say they aren't just as I can say they are.

Who said spawning in dinos on a unoffical is "up to no good"? lolol

Maybe its good, maybe its bad how would we know. ;)

99% sure they are admin'n him.

Where is this proof that he has had dinos spawn in his base?

Seems like an easy enough question to answer yourself.  Just ask the admins questions and see what their response is.  It's what I do for determining whether I will find a good server to play on or not.  The ones that care and will actually provide a great server are the ones that answer questions quickly and have well thought out answers to my questions.  The ones that don't answer, or are confrontational or provide bad answers, well you will get a bad experience.  Heck this line of figuring things out on your own is pretty useful in almost all cases to determine what you might or might not get experience wise.  Try it. :)

Oh, I will add that you should ask reasonable questions and not confrontational ones as you'll likely get back unreasonable and confrontational answers.

So for the dino in base ask them if they have had problems with dinos spawning in bases and how that might happen or what you can do.  Good admins will likely help you out to recover.  You'd even likely get an answer as to how other players are on the server by asking a similar question in the server chat.  

4 minutes ago, GamerPerfection said:

Where is this proof that he has had dinos spawn in his base?

All moot, where is the proof there wasn't?

No worries GP, just adding my 2ct, I've played many years on unofficial and this wreaks of admin'n.

But its fine you can moderate it out to be a no harm/no foul either way, zero proof. ;) I don't mind.

Archived