Cant Harvest Tamed Animals In PvE?

TheLastNerb

Cant Harvest Tamed Animals In PvE?

Hello :)

I recently joined a PvE server, having no experience with PvE. Built a base and eventually tamed 2 opposite gender sheep and bred a little baby, with plans to slaughter him when he was grown. Well I couldnt damage him with a sword or gun, so I jumped off a cliff riding him...over and over. When he was dead and I tried to harvest his body it wasnt possible. I hit but I got no resources. After asking why not, people told me harvesting tamed animals in PvE wasnt possible. So what, am I supposed to find a sheep every time I want to tame a carnivore? 

What do you guys think? Should this be changed?

4 minutes ago, perk8504 said:

I know that I've killed my tames using a pike...so I don't know what you were doing

and I swear I harvested them when they were dead

but assuming I'm way off on remembering, you could unclaim it when it's time for slaughter

You can't damage unclaimed tames.

You can harvest your own tamed dinos. Not sure why OP couldn't, but I've never had a problem. Same thing with killing them, though I usually use my lightning wyvern for the task.

2 minutes ago, vanyelxp5 said:

You can't damage unclaimed tames.

You can harvest your own tamed dinos. Not sure why OP couldn't, but I've never had a problem. Same thing with killing them, though I usually use my lightning wyvern for the task.

thanks, I have yet to unclaim a dino, so didn't know how that would work.

how long do they remain unclaimed until they become wild?

13 minutes ago, perk8504 said:

thanks, I have yet to unclaim a dino, so didn't know how that would work.

how long do they remain unclaimed until they become wild?

They don't become wild ever. Though if they go unclaimed long enough they will starve to death.

Basically, when unclaimed, they count as a tamed creature that doesn't belong to you. Meaning that you can't damage them any more than you could damage a neighboring tribe's dinos.

Babies are a little different. When born, they count as wild creatures in the sense that you can kill them, your dinos can kill them, and your turrets can kill them (as far as I know, this has not changed at all on pve)

1 minute ago, vanyelxp5 said:

They don't become wild ever. Though if they go unclaimed long enough they will starve to death.

Basically, when unclaimed, they count as a tamed creature that doesn't belong to you. Meaning that you can't damage them any more than you could damage a neighboring tribe's dinos.

Babies are a little different. When born, they count as wild creatures in the sense that you can kill them, your dinos can kill them, and your turrets can kill them (as far as I know, this has not changed at all on pve)

thanks!

that seems like a real poor mechanic...

• 1 month later...

This is a problem with an update.  You could harvest your own tames when friendly fire was disabled prior to an update sometime in the past month.  Now you can't, and it's a big annoyance.  Do I have to risk hitting my own tames in a fight in order to harvest from them when they die?  I have no idea whether they did this on purpose, but it's aggravating.

Archived