Wyvern Rebalance

Zephir1449

Right now Wyverns are wildly unbalanced. Lightning is too OP while poison and fire Wyverns are obsolete. Here are some ideas on how to make all Wyverns used and feel loved.

- Lightning Wyverns damage should be decreased, along with a little chip off their speed. This would make poison and fire Wyverns better in some situations.

- Fire Wyverns damage and health should be buffed to make them a prized combat mount. They should also have a secondary fireball attack which has long range but low to moderate damage.

- Poison Wyverns should become great taming mounts. The breath attack should deplete stamina, raise torpor and slow attack speed (NOT movement speed) all at the same time. Also add a bit more carry weight to these guys.

If you have any more ideas, please comment below!

I would design them like so:

-- Lighting: Specializes in AA (and potentially AW? anti-water). Its lightning blast deals okay damage to most enemies, but it gains the damage multiplier that non-bullet projectiles earn when attacking flyers (and potentially swimmers). Therefore, its your best mount for taking out other wyverns and quetzals, but isn't particularly powerful against other enemies.

-- Fire: Generalist, with leanings toward large enemies. Its fire attack has a large frontal AOE, and deals percentage-based DoT. This way, it can handle many small enemies or a few large enemies. Its DoT lends itself to handling large enemies with lots of health, but its attack spread helps manage crowds of cannon fodder. Its damage would be middle-range. It doesn't have any particular strength, but on the other hand, it doesn't have any particular weakness (aside the Lightning wyvern)

--Poison: Living mortar and area denial. Basically, the only thing it needs is a buff to its attack. Slightly increased range, increased impact damage, and a larger gaseous field (especially along the y-axis). It's good for laying down large clouds of gas to repel enemies, or to provide long-distance support fire to bring down structures. It obviously struggles with aerial combat and damaging quickly moving targets, but against stationary foes, it's your best bet.

I think the remaining stats should be more or less the same. Maybe a slight speed increase to Lightning, HP to Fire, and Stamina to Poison? I don't think that's strictly necessary though. Wyverns work best as primarily combat mounts IMO, but the major issue in my eyes is that they simply overlap too significantly in their niches.

6 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

I would design them like so:

-- Lighting: Specializes in AA (and potentially AW? anti-water). Its lightning blast deals okay damage to most enemies, but it gains the damage multiplier that non-bullet projectiles earn when attacking flyers (and potentially swimmers). Therefore, its your best mount for taking out other wyverns and quetzals, but isn't particularly powerful against other enemies.

-- Fire: Generalist, with leanings toward large enemies. Its fire attack has a large frontal AOE, and deals percentage-based DoT. This way, it can handle many small enemies or a few large enemies. Its DoT lends itself to handling large enemies with lots of health, but its attack spread helps manage crowds of cannon fodder. Its damage would be middle-range. It doesn't have any particular strength, but on the other hand, it doesn't have any particular weakness (aside the Lightning wyvern)

--Poison: Living mortar and area denial. Basically, the only thing it needs is a buff to its attack. Slightly increased range, increased impact damage, and a larger gaseous field (especially along the y-axis). It's good for laying down large clouds of gas to repel enemies, or to provide long-distance support fire to bring down structures. It obviously struggles with aerial combat and damaging quickly moving targets, but against stationary foes, it's your best bet.

I think the remaining stats should be more or less the same. Maybe a slight speed increase to Lightning, HP to Fire, and Stamina to Poison? I don't think that's strictly necessary though. Wyverns work best as primarily combat mounts IMO, but the major issue in my eyes is that they simply overlap too significantly in their niches.

Pretty Good. I like it. Now how do we get the devs to notice?

7 minutes ago, Zephir1449 said:

Pretty Good. I like it. Now how do we get the devs to notice?

Get a mod to move this to Suggestions, get other people to give feedback, continue to modify your idea as you see necessary, and the devs will notice it. It's not a guarantee that they will necessarily implement the suggestion, but it's possible that they will see the popularity of the idea, or its practicality for the long-term gameplay of ARK, and adopt some or all of its elements.

15 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

Get a mod to move this to Suggestions, get other people to give feedback, continue to modify your idea as you see necessary, and the devs will notice it. It's not a guarantee that they will necessarily implement the suggestion, but it's possible that they will see the popularity of the idea, or its practicality for the long-term gameplay of ARK, and adopt some or all of its elements.

Moderator?

Archived