Spawn Blocking: ABUSE or STRATEGY?

Kiliox

Spawn Blocking: ABUSE or STRATEGY?

So, I had a player on my server tell me about this server, 49, that had it's spawns locked down with metal boxes. I immediately considered how to counter this:

Make c4, upload into drop or ob, make lvl 1 on new server, get c4 from drop, transfer to blocked server, boom. 

Now, I play on an unbearably laggy server, consistantly 80+/70 at peak hours. If it's not rubber banding 5+ times and losing 10 seconds or so to every minute (measured with a tames imprint timer) it's server breaking lag that sends you back to the last save. I had reached my boiling point and began placing spikes at tropical south on the center (Noobs Paradise). Thankfully I had an alliance member mention that 49 was, to his knowledge, wiped by devs. I searched "blocking spawns ark" and I get to a quaint little post from the devs. The post states:

• Blocking spawn points is defined as players/tribes blocking multiple spawn points for the purpose of not allowing any players to play on the server.

The way I see it, if a server wide alliance forms, it is their perogative to do what they will, as the server becomes one large base. It is not preventing people from playing, rather, keeping out the noobs that spam chat with "Laaaaaagggggggggg," and instantly earn my ire and KOS status. 

SO, whereas I consider this a defensive and strategic method to ensure playability, I ask what you all think. Is it abuse? Or is wildcard treating the symptom and not the disease? 

Are there loopholes to this rule? Could I block popular spawns and leave, say, lava island open? Allowing players to spawn is still allowing them to spawn. Consider it weeding out the weak, as anyone who manages to escape lava island certainly has a right to enjoy our lag free server and maybe even secure a spot in our tribe. With the advent of server to server raiding, it is not surprising that tribes are beginning to band together, as it's the same logic of a tribe, stronger together than apart.

YES, ensuring that a server is playable isn't exactly in the realm of a PLAYER of a game and more suited for a DEVELOPER, but you reach a point where you can either walk away from the game or ask yourself "what can I do to fix this?" Sadly, the fix is deemed abuse by a Developer more interested in creating ports to consoles than making sure the said port is, oh, I don't know, playable? Creating a queue system so people dont spam join on full servers? Creating a capacity sytem that doesn't allow 10 people to join at the same time when the poulation is 69/70? (Confirmed with a friend, server was full [70], I had him leave so I could join. He had enough time to rejoin as I joined and pushed pop to 71)

Tl;dr Blocking spawns, Good? Bad? Treating symptom of lag rather than lag itself?

btw, if a dev reads this, I issue you a challenge. Join my server at peak hours, play for 1 hour and tell me you didn't get frustrated at least ONCE. 

Problem with Spawnkilling and Spawnblocking is that its only ever used to "personalize" Official Servers. What one tribe would use to keep the South Spawn 2 zones from allowing randoms and trolls to run amok behind their Behemoth Gates, others use to take over servers. Can't be raided if everyone dies instantly, etc. 

Wildcard is basically paying for somebody's Private Server if done well with metal spikes, and that just seems outrageous. Server 30 was an example of this, a tribe putting those spikes on every spawn, basically preventing anyone from logging in and killing them before they could get a tribe name.

If there was a way to keep the spawnzones out of bases, it would be good, but the point is that most people shouldn't build over new-player spawn zones anyway, since veteran trolls can drain your plants and kill you, and new players will be discouraged from playing at all, letting the steam ratings on ARK to continue to plummet.

37 minutes ago, LilNastyGurl said:

Wildcard is basically paying for somebody's Private Server if done well with metal spikes

We already make it our own by killing all new tribes and destroying thatch and wood huts regularly. I envisioned the spikes as an easy and painless way to keep the population down. It's dreadful to spend more than 4 minutes chomping a 2x2 thatch hut with a rex due to lag! 

14 minutes ago, Kiliox said:

We already make it our own by killing all new tribes and destroying thatch and wood huts regularly. I envisioned the spikes as an easy and painless way to keep the population down. It's dreadful to spend more than 4 minutes chomping a 2x2 thatch hut with a rex due to lag! 

What server is this?

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2017 at 3:48 PM, Kiliox said:

Tl;dr Blocking spawns, Good? Bad? Treating symptom of lag rather than lag itself?

It's bad.

These servers aren't yours to decide who gets to play, and when they get to play. It may seem like it is, but that's the delusional affect PvP players get when they can kill a couple of other players on a server. "I killed you, so now this whole place is mine!"

Driving people off the server through force is one thing. Blocking spawns to prevent people from playing is another.

Our opinion in this doesn't matter whatsoever. The dev's have very very plainly stated, any tribes caught blocking spawn points in any manner (Spikes, metal boxes, turrets, etc...) will be subject to a warning and then a wipe if not heeded. Considering the extreme measures they are willing to go to enforce this, you can see how strongly they feel about it, so why argue the point?

my tribe built a alpha allaince empire on xbox hardcore 100. we blocked spawns with spikes and only south 2 had 1x1s. some kid that wanted to offline everyone while grown men worked reported us.

we knew wat the consequences were and we got structured wiped. we were nice enough to let some players in but very few. id rather be wiped by devs than be offlined by 15 year old punk homeschooled brat any day and so it happened.

he ran his mouth to customer support and a month later on vday as i was tamin and breeding dodos for the boxes of chocolate an admin spawned in named rustu and structure wiped us. was it worth it yes because in the end we prorected our server and did our duty as the alpha and top dog.

i personally worked very hard to raise the population from 10 max to 30 and 40 players a day. i united the whole server. i supplied the knowledge and indie forges and chem benches to all the tribes on my server. wasnt about to let some troll come and ruin that. but in the end the kid that reported us got reported by our server and got completely wiped by admin for builiding in a glitched spot on center map and he rebuilt in 2 months came back and got str8 wrecked by the tribes i protected and helped build up. then he got wiped a 2nd time by those same tribes and so im proud of what i did. i left behind a legacy and everyone will remember CaVeMeN.

p.s its a strat

1 hour ago, Lewiatan said:

There is not much to debate. You block spawnpoints? Be ready to have your base wiped by admins sooner or later and if you kept blocking spawpoints anyway, there is a big chance you would be banned.

To be honest im proud for what we did. we protected alot of other tribes that we helped grow, but i wouldnt do it again lol. 

8 hours ago, legendaryc4 said:

my tribe built a alpha allaince empire on xbox hardcore 100. we blocked spawns with spikes and only south 2 had 1x1s. some kid that wanted to offline everyone while grown men worked reported us.

we knew wat the consequences were and we got structured wiped. we were nice enough to let some players in but very few. id rather be wiped by devs than be offlined by 15 year old punk homeschooled brat any day and so it happened.

he ran his mouth to customer support and a month later on vday as i was tamin and breeding dodos for the boxes of chocolate an admin spawned in named rustu and structure wiped us. was it worth it yes because in the end we prorected our server and did our duty as the alpha and top dog.

i personally worked very hard to raise the population from 10 max to 30 and 40 players a day. i united the whole server. i supplied the knowledge and indie forges and chem benches to all the tribes on my server. wasnt about to let some troll come and ruin that. but in the end the kid that reported us got reported by our server and got completely wiped by admin for builiding in a glitched spot on center map and he rebuilt in 2 months came back and got str8 wrecked by the tribes i protected and helped build up. then he got wiped a 2nd time by those same tribes and so im proud of what i did. i left behind a legacy and everyone will remember CaVeMeN.

p.s its a strat

When you play official there are rules. If the rules dont suit you there are a ton of unofficials. Still cant find what you want? take the 30 to 40 players a day you had and get your own server then go wild doing what you want. Otherwise build on/near the player spawns and sit back and wait for the wipe.

@Kiliox Sounds to me like you're using the "lag prevention" as an excuse to call an official your own and nobody else's. 

I'm sure it would be annoying to join anew only to be endlessly trolled and shot on sight or worse... spawn in some random building unable to play a game you paid for because you and yours are too afraid of a little competition ... Henceforth creating your own safe space in a public lobby. 

I call GIGAPOOP on your "strategy" you know darn well the odds of someone starting off on lava island and I can see you just camping there waiting for somebody to show up so you can pick them off. 

It's people like you that ruin this amazing game for everyone else... Why don't you or someone in your tribe just start their own server and live in peace the way you like it. Safe and sound oh and "laagggg free" 

The 50+ people already established on the map payed for the game as well and have invested real time in building army's structures and trust we let in new players everyday and and 100 or more cross server friends who can safely get on the map. dirty players r the majority of the reason Devs step in its not new players looking for a safe place ect....why help those people who use glitches ddos offline raiding duping ect to abuse the game  I don't get it lol but I guess we can just hunt the scum down to get rid of them and not break any silly ark rules 

Archived