Imprinting Is Unhealthy.

Crows

5 minutes ago, Darkbibou said:

In my opinion, the imprint system should get a simple modification: change the length of the period between two imprint to a fix duration of 8 hours (and adapt the percentage earned for each imprints in consequence).

This simple modification would be beneficial for player health and for casual players.

Concerning the minimum sleep needed for a standard persons, the consensus is around 7 hours in the current scientific litterature (it's a mean, not a global value).

8 isnt enough ... if you consider working ppl you get 8 hours at work + travel time + lunch break etc ... 12 hours would be better

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/19/2017 at 10:14 PM, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

It's unhealthy. Like how cram studying is unhealthy. Doctors have to go through hell to become one. They have high rates of mental problems but can't get them treated. Is that any reason to keep medical the same? Absolutely not. If it is a problem it has to be changed. No one on make imprinting healthy wants a compromise. Here is how you can fix it. Allow tribe imprints. And also have the option to give a toy to a baby that grants passive imprinting while the durability goes down. Still want to imprint without losing sleep? Just give baby a toy. Can be like something that requires lots of mats, so you still have to put it in "effort". Why is everyone opposed to make imprinting actually a fun mechanic that does not encourage sleep deprivation? Waking up every 3 hours is not healthy, especially for people who are not used to it.

this thread makes me want to throw people against a wall. 

I agree with Offering a solution to make it more engaging and less tedious. The argument that it's unhealthy though is still, well, silly in my opinion. Staring at a computer screen all day is unhealthy. The amount of hours we've put into our bases and tames only to watch them die or be blown up into smitherines because of idiots is psychological unhealthy if you ask me. Looking at most of the play hours of these people, and often with many hours crammed in such a small amount of time is unhealthy. See my point? lol. But again I like your solutions. 

48 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

Well. You could have holidays. Or long weekends.

What's a holiday? Haha I'm self employed mate, don't get holidays, literally if I was to go about imprinting say a giga over a weekend with a Friday and Monday off work that's £400 or I guess around $600, now thinking about in the long run that would affect my health and my kids as I won't be able to put food on the table

17 minutes ago, Pommer said:

What's a holiday? Haha I'm self employed mate, don't get holidays, literally if I was to go about imprinting say a giga over a weekend with a Friday and Monday off work that's £400 or I guess around $600, now thinking about in the long run that would affect my health and my kids as I won't be able to put food on the table

Force your kids to imprint your Giga lol!

A ton of people just share account info to imprint, everybody I know who plays has a full time job but works different hours so never miss an imprint.

me personally I would not share my info unless I know them in real life or known them for years, I do my own imprinting while working a full time corporate job. I do my breeding on weekends or holidays.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
55 minutes ago, BloodyMess said:

A ton of people just share account info to imprint

How are people doing this? Are they handing out their steam account or something?

1 hour ago, BloodyMess said:

A ton of people just share account info to imprint, everybody I know who plays has a full time job but works different hours so never miss an imprint.

me personally I would not share my info unless I know them in real life or known them for years, I do my own imprinting while working a full time corporate job. I do my breeding on weekends or holidays.

Risking security of an account should not be a solution lol.

2 hours ago, Critter said:

I agree with Offering a solution to make it more engaging and less tedious. The argument that it's unhealthy though is still, well, silly in my opinion. Staring at a computer screen all day is unhealthy. The amount of hours we've put into our bases and tames only to watch them die or be blown up into smitherines because of idiots is psychological unhealthy if you ask me. Looking at most of the play hours of these people, and often with many hours crammed in such a small amount of time is unhealthy. See my point? lol. But again I like your solutions. 

Yea. That is unhealthy. It's a sliding scale of unhealthyness. I burst into tears when a troll killed my baby wyverns. Lol. Rest in piece ash and plague. :( 

Everyone can agree that imprinting is boring and tedious. We don't have to make it easy, or take less time, we can make it self paced. 

The whole "this is unhealthy!" argument is tired and doesn't hold. Sitting down and playing video games for hours a day is worse. DVT is something I'd be more concerned about: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2020462/Xbox-addict-20-killed-blood-clot-12-hour-gaming-sessions.html

Increase the grace period and allow tribe imprinting. Problem solved.

5 minutes ago, Irk said:

The whole "this is unhealthy!" argument is tired and doesn't hold. Sitting down and playing video games for hours a day is worse. DVT is something I'd be more concerned about: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2020462/Xbox-addict-20-killed-blood-clot-12-hour-gaming-sessions.html

Increase the grace period and allow tribe imprinting. Problem solved.

Everything is unhealthy! We should still try to improve the system though. 

On 20/02/2017 at 3:49 AM, vanyelxp5 said:

I'm not opposed to changing the system, I just think there are ways of doing it that still require you to put in more effort than just raising it (one imprint a day is not enough work to justify handing you a dino that's twice as good. Don't remember who made that suggestion, but it's not a good one)

First thing I would do, keep timers the same, but multiply the effectiveness by 1.5-2. That way you don't HAVE to hit it every time, or near every time to get it to 100%.

Second, I'd add more options. In fact, I'd go a step further and do species specific options. Maybe Direwolves could want to play fetch, and you have to toss a ball for them (which you could have to craft, and each time they play with it, the durability goes down, make the materials simple enough to not be a grind, probably hide, fiber and thatch.) Rexes and the other large carnivores might want you to kill a small animal and feed it to them. Sabers might want you to drag a string for them, I don't know... I haven't thought it all the way through... but I wanna play fetch with a direwolf, so they should make it happen!

Why did this get glossed over so easily? I love this comment and wold be all over that

Wolf- fetch

Saber - chase game

Giga - simple mini game to 'stop' him enraging (having a tantrum)

Rhino - sprints

Raptor - I dunno, a pack mechanic thing maybe?

Vulture - find the prime meat jerky?

Good gods gents, there is almost nothing constructive about this thread at all. All you guys are doing is bickering over sleep deprivation, alarm clocks, people not having jobs or lives. As far that last bit, please don't be a stereotypical internet troll, who resorts to the tried and cliched "No job no life" arguments. I'm in an alpha tribe with people from 20s to 60s. All our young folks are in school, have part time jobs, all our adults have jobs, many 12+ hour shifts. We have dads, mothers, grandfathers, and at one point a grandmother who played. Whom all have jobs, the idea here is not that only no lifers or the unemployed can get 100% on tames. Most of us achieve it on our days off, vacations, etc. It's entirely do-able. We've got people who own their own restaurant businesses that get 100% imprint on Gigas and quetzels, etc. The idea here is that you MAKE time to do it. No one likes doing it, but its a perk, and if they want it enough they can make it happen. 

Now is the current imprinting method the best? Certainly not, could it be better? Yes? Have you considered a way to actually MAKE it better and suggested it? Because I'm seeing a whole lot of complaining and sidebar arguments that don't resolve anything. So the general consensus here is buck up or shut up right?

Why does imprinting have to be done only during the maturation phase? Why not suggest a means to get a better imprint after the maturation, like time spent riding the dino will increase your imprint by some tiny percentage until you can reach 100%?

Then realistically anyone with a highly used dino can reach 100% given time. 

Maybe suggest a solution if you're not happy with the current system. There's always a better way.

11 minutes ago, Flaminraptors said:

Why did this get glossed over so easily? I love this comment and wold be all over that

Wolf- fetch

Saber - chase game

Rhino - sprints

You get it ^.^

I'd want these to continue to be options even after they hit adult though. Not for buffs or anything. I just wanna play something other than "Murder everything!" with my dino friends.

11 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Good gods gents, there is almost nothing constructive about this thread at all. All you guys are doing is bickering over sleep deprivation, alarm clocks, people not having jobs or lives. As far that last bit, please don't be a stereotypical internet troll, who resorts to the tried and cliched "No job no life" arguments. I'm in an alpha tribe with people from 20s to 60s. All our young folks are in school, have part time jobs, all our adults have jobs, many 12+ hour shifts. We have dads, mothers, grandfathers, and at one point a grandmother who played. Whom all have jobs, the idea here is not that only no lifers or the unemployed can get 100% on tames. Most of us achieve it on our days off, vacations, etc. It's entirely do-able. We've got people who own their own restaurant businesses that get 100% imprint on Gigas and quetzels, etc. The idea here is that you MAKE time to do it. No one likes doing it, but its a perk, and if they want it enough they can make it happen. 

Now is the current imprinting method the best? Certainly not, could it be better? Yes? Have you considered a way to actually MAKE it better and suggested it? Because I'm seeing a whole lot of complaining and sidebar arguments that don't resolve anything. So the general consensus here is buck up or shut up right?

Why does imprinting have to be done only during the maturation phase? Why not suggest a means to get a better imprint after the maturation, like time spent riding the dino will increase your imprint by some tiny percentage until you can reach 100%?

Maybe suggest a solution if you're not happy with the current system. There's always a better way.

No, that's way too logical :P

2 minutes ago, Petraeus said:

Honestly imprints should be once a day for the 4-5 days it takes to raise a baby.  I did a 91% imprint over the weekend with the boosted rates and that was with missing 1 care cycle due to going to bed at 4.30 and waking up at 10.30.

Once a day for a dino that's twice as good? No, that's a terrible suggestion.

3 times a day with a minimum of 4 hours between, maybe. But if you're going that route, there needs to be an additional cost.

Minimum time between is so people can't just tap E three times first thing in the morning to get 100%. Still requires some effort, but you get to schedule it yourself for the most part.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
46 minutes ago, Flaminraptors said:

Wolf- fetch

Saber - chase game

Rhino - sprints

This, along with Inigos point that it should be over a longer term than just maturation, would be damn godly...

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Did you miss my ideas? Certainly people are suggesting ideas. Would love to do grooming as another imprint raiser. Animals get dirty!

10 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Since you're more or less a profi on that, could you answer me what health damage waking up once at night for a week will cause and could you address my "real life baby care" argument?

I don't claim to be a professional sleep analyst, but I study the mechanisms behind it. Anyway, the thing to recognize is that your quality of sleep is largely contingent on your ability to enter--and complete--REM cycles. "Light sleep" doesn't cut it, and when you wake up in the middle of the night, chances are that you'll disrupt a REM cycle. Even if you don't, though, you're still reducing the overall amount of time that you can be in REM. That means your sleep is automatically of lower quality than what you should be getting, though people can train themselves to manage that if they take a longer nap during the day. Unfortunately, for people with regular work schedules or who are still in school, that's not always a viable option, so waking up during the night becomes the necessity. For a week, you'll probably find that you're more tired than normal during the day, your ability to quickly and accurately make judgments in stressful situations will be inhibited (like while driving, though I hope you don't actually encounter that problem), and you'll having greater trouble focusing. Insufficient sleep for just a week probably won't cause major physiological problems unless you really deprive yourself of multiple hours every night, but if you're someone who already has problems with certain diseases (especially psychological diseases, such as depression), you'll probably notice they worsen somewhat. Not to mention you may feel more irritable on the whole. The tl;dr is that sleep is REALLY important, and something as mundane as a game shouldn't ask you to deprive yourself to gain a competitive advantage. The advantage should come from skill and practice with mechanics, not with being able to get up at any given hour to come attend to the baby (the exception being IF Wildcard implements a tribe-share imprint system). Wildcard isn't the only game that has this problem, but that's not really justification for the mechanic to remain as is.

For the baby care example, basically assume that all I said remains true. Obviously individual people vary (my father, for example, sleeps something like four or five hours a night and is perfectly fine, but that's a phenomenon we see as people age). Parents waking up in the night to care for a child does impact their behavior and health. A few of my friends are married and have kids, so I get to hear about it firsthand, but you can ask most people who've had children about it, too (especially people who have multiples, like twins or triplets). The tendency for one parent to remain home as a caregiver in many families does help alleviate that problem, though, which is why the tribe-share imprint mechanic would probably work quite well.

||edit|| to the people saying sitting in front of a game screen is unhealthy... Yes, it is, which is all the more reason ARK doesn't need to encourage MORE unhealthy habits

For some people lack of sleep is just a way of life i have a 1yo a 1month old and an a 8 yo plus i work 10 hours a day work all day spend most of the night up with the baby getting up the am to get a kid off to school sleeping longer than 4 hours is a luxury getting up every 4 hours for 10 min to imprint thats nothing atleast then you can go back to sleep

39 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

@PuffyPony I tried not to sound it like: "Ouh, if you know soo much stuff about it, then tell us!" I was genuinly curious about what you can say about this since you actually seem to have more insight on the actual mechanic. Hence called you a profi. Since you, well, are more a profi than us.

No worries, I understand :) but I do want to clarify that I'm not like, a total expert in the field. I just study the brain and the mechanisms behind it (like circadian rhythms/biological clocks), so it's something that I'm moderately knowledgeable in. Call me back in a few years after I've finished medical school and residency and I'll give you a more thorough explanation

Archived