Imprinting Is Unhealthy.

Crows

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, Jostabeere said:

You don't have an idea how the human body works and how much sleep we actually need. So please do not bring this argument up. Besides that, Imprinting is 100% optional. It's not "pro" or "skill" if you set your alarm every 4 hours. The human body can live with small periods of sleep for long times.

You can be "healthy" if you sleep for 2-3 hours periods. Heck, you can even live healthy by sleeping for 30 minutes every 2-3 hours like ocean fishermen do.

@Jamagh Would you be so nice and name a game which isn't rewarding people for playing it a longer time than others?

This right here shows you know nothing of the actual sleep cycle that bodies go through. Bodies can slepe for 30 minutes because youre not in the REM sleep area, which is from 1-4 hours. Waking up before 1 hour and at 4 hours is ok. The body goes through a second REM mode from 4-8 hours. that is why 8 hours is the recommended sleep cycle. but I could go on farther, but that's a different subject entirely. please stop posting false info, as I see you doing this quite often to prove your point.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Velarius said:

This topic is still up? christ people whine about little things a lot. PvE outside of prepping bossfights, none of your dinos really need imprinting anyway. Problem solved...for those prepping to do bosses, well put in the time and effort to kill the boss. Its a boss for a reason. PvP well yea, don't imprint things that don't have a specific purpose and build your base to defend the valuable tames. If one of my tribe mates in pvp complained at me about imprinting, especially on something that had no specific niche that wasn't filled better by a higher 'tier' dino he wouldn't have to worry anymore as I'd put it down for him. Either take the time to get strong or go be a casual player on your on private server. PvE players have no real room to complain since with a stone base you are pretty set save the giga spawning next to you and you don't have players looking for a sign of weakness to wreck you. PvP players, you came to pvp to fight other players and thus your excuse to imprint so you have powerful dinos to do that with is readily made for you. Don't complain about having pets worth their weight in killing power etc.

For 1, I'm on official PvP so imprinted dinos like Wyverns etc are important and we are eventually going to take down bosses as our allies currently are. 

2 minutes ago, Psych0P3nguin said:

This right here shows you know nothing of the actual sleep cycle that bodies go through. Bodies can slepe for 30 minutes because youre not in the REM sleep area, which is from 1-4 hours. Waking up before 1 hour and at 4 hours is ok. The body goes through a second REM mode from 4-8 hours. that is why 8 hours is the recommended sleep cycle. but I could go on farther, but that's a different subject entirely. please stop posting false info, as I see you doing this quite often to prove your point.

Recommended doesn't mean necessary. I sleep only 4-6 hours a night for over 5 years. And did not get any serious health damage.

Just because someone says something is recommended, doesn't mean it's like that for everyone.

Meat is recommended. tell that all veggies and vegans.

I think you don't know nothing because you only rely on recommended information and do not think around one wall.

1 minute ago, Crows said:

For 1, I'm on official PvP so imprinted dinos like Wyverns etc are important and we are eventually going to take down bosses as our allies currently are. 

ok? Other than a personal statement I'm not sure what you were going for here. You put in the work and you get stronger tames, simple enough.

30 minutes ago, Velarius said:

This topic is still up? christ people whine about little things a lot. PvE outside of prepping bossfights, none of your dinos really need imprinting anyway. Problem solved...for those prepping to do bosses, well put in the time and effort to kill the boss. Its a boss for a reason. PvP well yea, don't imprint things that don't have a specific purpose and build your base to defend the valuable tames. If one of my tribe mates in pvp complained at me about imprinting, especially on something that had no specific niche that wasn't filled better by a higher 'tier' dino he wouldn't have to worry anymore as I'd put it down for him. Either take the time to get strong or go be a casual player on your on private server. PvE players have no real room to complain since with a stone base you are pretty set save the giga spawning next to you and you don't have players looking for a sign of weakness to wreck you. PvP players, you came to pvp to fight other players and thus your excuse to imprint so you have powerful dinos to do that with is readily made for you. Don't complain about having pets worth their weight in killing power etc.

So people that dont play PVP cannot complain about the grind which is irrelevant to what mode you play? Oookay...

I can live without imprinting or even breeding but it only seems logical for them to tweak the breeding rates after they've initially done it to taming. Taming is not much of a grind as it was before so breeding shouldnt either. Just my opinion.

21 minutes ago, Isho said:

So people that dont play PVP cannot complain about the grind which is irrelevant to what mode you play? Oookay...

I can live without imprinting or even breeding but it only seems logical for them to tweak the breeding rates after they've initially done it to taming. Taming is not much of a grind as it was before so breeding shouldnt either. Just my opinion.

tweak fine but not easy mode it. Also before you say taming is not a grind go tame a Therizino with no kibble on an official with no tame bonus. 150 = 14hr tame. Though I disagree, if you are going to breed super soldier dinos I fully believe that the current work that has to be put in is just fine.

10 minutes ago, Velarius said:

tweak fine but not easy mode it. Also before you say taming is not a grind go tame a Therizino with no kibble on an official with no tame bonus. 150 = 14hr tame. Though I disagree, if you are going to breed super soldier dinos I fully believe that the current work that has to be put in is just fine.

I clearly said: "not much of a grind AS before". As we all know if this was still old 1x, nobody wouldve tamed a Therizino with that method. I can respect your opinion on the breeding rates being fine, but I feel like it wouldnt make sense to decrease the taming time by half and even 3x during weekends and not touch breeding rates. They could tweak the breeding rate to only count for first gen babies even, so you wont end up with everyone getting super bred dinos that easily..

7 minutes ago, Isho said:

I clearly said: "not much of a grind AS before". As we all know if this was still old 1x, nobody wouldve tamed a Therizino with that method. I can respect your opinion on the breeding rates being fine, but I feel like it wouldnt make sense to decrease the taming time by half and even 3x during weekends and not touch breeding rates. They could tweak the breeding rate to only count for first gen babies even, so you wont end up with everyone getting super bred dinos that easily..

Now that I would be fine with, first gens fine then perhaps the more mutations the harder it is to get to fruition. It should always be work to make super soldiers lol

1 hour ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Sorry, but you are incorrect...

Great, I say you are incorrect, you say I'm incorrect. Real productive discussion we are having here.

So how am I incorrect? The range of random imprinting is 3 to 4 hours, but I think not ever 3 or 4, but between those. If you get all 3 hours, it is 75% progress. If you get all 4 hours, you get 100% progress. Is that wrong?

If you get all 3 hour imprints out of 20, if I remember right, then the chance of that is 2 ^ 20, which is 1,048,576, so about 1 chance in a million.

So which part is wrong? And why? Don't just say you are wrong, that is a really stupid answer.

So, I've seen a lot of posts on this topic and they all end up reading out the same in the end. Imprinting is undoubtedly time consuming and tough, especially when taking work and family into consideration. All that said I think it really needs to be stated that there is absolutely on detriment to skipping the imprinting process completely or even doing some of it without going all the way to 100%.

As my tribe's breeder I can tell you that I rarely imprint dinos unless I know that they're gonna be used in situations where they need a rider buff to keep them alive. Situations like raids and boss battles, and now wyvern running. The most helpful part of the imprint process is the rider buff that is gained for the rider. having 30% defence buff combined with a jman or better saddle can make any glass cannon of a dino OP to the extreme. But with even a 60% imprint, which is easily doable over a weekend while still sleeping a full 8 hours will give a 20% rider buff, which is not a bad trade-off.

If you are trying to get 100% I also need to stress that it MAY NOT happen even if you give it care as soon as the timer is up at every interval. The timer randomizes between 3-4hours, meaning that its just as easy to get 100% imprint with another 3-4 hours to spare as it is to get 97% imprint with no chance of getting another imprint before full maturation (had a couple pteras do this to me; one with vday rates, one with normal rates).

With all that preface done, lets get into the meat; 100% imprint is grindy. No two ways about it. It takes a lot of effort and commitment and is meant for the most important of your dinos. My proof of this is the fact that the imprinted stat bonuses aren't passed along through breeding. They are dino specific, meant for that dino alone, not for every dino. That's why I don't bother imprinting on any of the babies I raise that are simply meant for breeding. The only dinos I imprint are the ones I take out into the wild.

As clumsynynja said, it takes preparation. Lots of preparation. I'll sit on fert eggs that I know are gonna hatch beast dinos for weeks waiting for a long weekend that I know I don't have any plans for. Once they're hatched its all about time management. Making sure you have time set aside to babysit them to the juvi stage, then using the time between imprints to get other stuff done. Between imprints I'll do house cleaning, or make supper, or take a power nap in preparation for the night.

But to the point of the topic, I agree the system could use a little bit of refining. My suggestion has been to group 3-4 imprints within 20-30min of each other with a 6-8 hour gap in between. As far as the health factor goes, while its not ideal I wouldn't go so far as to say its unhealthy when done in moderation. If you're imprinting day in and day out and constantly up every 3-4 hours then yes, that's bad, but to take 2-3 days of it every month or two isn't gonna strip years off your life span or anything. So while I don't think its the BEST system, I also don't think its a BAD system. Its a very good reward for commitment to the cause, but it doesn't fault you for a 0%, 30%, or 90% commitment either as the buff scales with the amount of imprinting you're able to do without taking away from the base stats of the dinos you're raising.

They need to enable tribe-mates to share imprinting duties, that right there solves the issue.  WC has alluded to the possibility of this being added.

While yes, one can survive and be healthy with alternative sleep schedules.  But many will fail to maintain a healthy balance.  Games that encourage their players to be unhealthy have long faced PR challenges. 

Guest BubbaCrawfish
1 hour ago, wildbill said:

Great, I say you are incorrect, you say I'm incorrect. Real productive discussion we are having here.

So how am I incorrect? The range of random imprinting is 3 to 4 hours, but I think not ever 3 or 4, but between those. If you get all 3 hours, it is 75% progress. If you get all 4 hours, you get 100% progress. Is that wrong?

If you get all 3 hour imprints out of 20, if I remember right, then the chance of that is 2 ^ 20, which is 1,048,576, so about 1 chance in a million.

So which part is wrong? And why? Don't just say you are wrong, that is a really stupid answer.

You were the one who said "Those that seem to be written by people that are either clueless or delusional. And those that are written by people that have an actual grip on reality." so if I was incorrect, then what am I, as I can assure you that my last 4 cycles of breeding have resulted in imprinting of 100%, at 75% maturity...

What is really stupid, is making out that people are "clueless or delusional"... It's borderline ad hominem. Actually, it is ad hominem.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
6 minutes ago, RadioActiveMan said:

WC has alluded to the possibility of this being added.

All that needs to be done is for it to be enabled on the official servers... It's already in.

30 minutes ago, GuiterRocker1 said:

So, I've seen a lot of posts on this topic and they all end up reading out the same in the end. Imprinting is undoubtedly time consuming and tough, especially when taking work and family into consideration. All that said I think it really needs to be stated that there is absolutely on detriment to skipping the imprinting process completely or even doing some of it without going all the way to 100%.

As my tribe's breeder I can tell you that I rarely imprint dinos unless I know that they're gonna be used in situations where they need a rider buff to keep them alive. Situations like raids and boss battles, and now wyvern running. The most helpful part of the imprint process is the rider buff that is gained for the rider. having 30% defence buff combined with a jman or better saddle can make any glass cannon of a dino OP to the extreme. But with even a 60% imprint, which is easily doable over a weekend while still sleeping a full 8 hours will give a 20% rider buff, which is not a bad trade-off.

If you are trying to get 100% I also need to stress that it MAY NOT happen even if you give it care as soon as the timer is up at every interval. The timer randomizes between 3-4hours, meaning that its just as easy to get 100% imprint with another 3-4 hours to spare as it is to get 97% imprint with no chance of getting another imprint before full maturation (had a couple pteras do this to me; one with vday rates, one with normal rates).

With all that preface done, lets get into the meat; 100% imprint is grindy. No two ways about it. It takes a lot of effort and commitment and is meant for the most important of your dinos. My proof of this is the fact that the imprinted stat bonuses aren't passed along through breeding. They are dino specific, meant for that dino alone, not for every dino. That's why I don't bother imprinting on any of the babies I raise that are simply meant for breeding. The only dinos I imprint are the ones I take out into the wild.

As clumsynynja said, it takes preparation. Lots of preparation. I'll sit on fert eggs that I know are gonna hatch beast dinos for weeks waiting for a long weekend that I know I don't have any plans for. Once they're hatched its all about time management. Making sure you have time set aside to babysit them to the juvi stage, then using the time between imprints to get other stuff done. Between imprints I'll do house cleaning, or make supper, or take a power nap in preparation for the night.

But to the point of the topic, I agree the system could use a little bit of refining. My suggestion has been to group 3-4 imprints within 20-30min of each other with a 6-8 hour gap in between. As far as the health factor goes, while its not ideal I wouldn't go so far as to say its unhealthy when done in moderation. If you're imprinting day in and day out and constantly up every 3-4 hours then yes, that's bad, but to take 2-3 days of it every month or two isn't gonna strip years off your life span or anything. So while I don't think its the BEST system, I also don't think its a BAD system. Its a very good reward for commitment to the cause, but it doesn't fault you for a 0%, 30%, or 90% commitment either as the buff scales with the amount of imprinting you're able to do without taking away from the base stats of the dinos you're raising.

Yes! Finally someone who knows what the hell they are talking about! This man knows his stuff

27 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

You were the one who said "Those that seem to be written by people that are either clueless or delusional. And those that are written by people that have an actual grip on reality." so if I was incorrect, then what am I, as I can assure you that my last 4 cycles of breeding have resulted in imprinting of 100%, at 75% maturity...

What is really stupid, is making out that people are "clueless or delusional"... It's borderline ad hominem. Actually, it is ad hominem.

I admit I went over the top with that remark, should have left that out. I was just annoyed by how many people there are that like to defend some mechanic in this game that is more than likely going to change when this game comes out of alpha. My guess is that the current imprinting mechanic is a place holder that will change significantly by the time the game is released.

Still, in the breeding I did a few months ago, you could not get 100% imprinting at 75% maturity. That sounded like a gross exaggeration like many of the posts here that say getting a 100% imprint is easy.

If what you say is true, then there has been a change in the imprinting recently in some patch. I read all the patch notes, so I think this must be a undocumented change, unless I missed this one.

40 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

All that needs to be done is for it to be enabled on the official servers... It's already in.

I think you are talking about this setting: AllowAnyoneBabyImprintCuddle, which can be set on an unofficial server, but not enabled on official, which is what this discussion is really about. Any unofficial server can simply set the breeding to 5x or 10x, or even 20x, and this whole discussion is mute.

If you are playing on one of those servers, than this discussion doesn't really apply to you at all.

Also when you have boosted rates, the imprinting interval might not be the 3 to 4 hour normal interval. Or it could have just one imprint and that occurs at some odd maturity amount.

Per the wiki (could be wrong): 

It is approximately: Imprinting Affinity Gain = 4 Hours / Total Maturation Time of Species.

So if you get all random times at there max of just under 4 hours, you do barely make 100% imprint when it hits 100% maturity.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

@wildbill Obviously if you'd kept track of the thread, I was saying that this was an option that has already been implemented in the server package already, 10 pages back, and it needs to be implemented on the official servers to allow this...

There's also multiquote for a reason.

As I also said in my earlier dialog, it may have been changed, but I am getting 100% imprint, at ~75% of maturation.

1 hour ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

@wildbill Obviously if you'd kept track of the thread, I was saying that this was an option that has already been implemented in the server package already, 10 pages back, and it needs to be implemented on the official servers to allow this...

There's also multiquote for a reason.

As I also said in my earlier dialog, it may have been changed, but I am getting 100% imprint, at ~75% of maturation.

Looks like we posted at the same time.

Ya, would be really cool if they would enable the option to let tribe mates imprint, but there are some people that posted in this thread against them doing that, so who knows.

I've posted several times in this thread, which is why I follow it, although lately I'm so disgusted with the state of playing on officials, I don't play there anymore. I log in occasionally to keep my dinos from dying, but unless they change this feature and a few others from v256, I won't be playing on officials again.

5 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Recommended doesn't mean necessary. I sleep only 4-6 hours a night for over 5 years. And did not get any serious health damage.

Just because someone says something is recommended, doesn't mean it's like that for everyone.

Meat is recommended. tell that all veggies and vegans.

I think you don't know nothing because you only rely on recommended information and do not think around one wall.

"Meat is recommended" -__-

Archived