Imprinting Is Unhealthy.

Crows

4 hours ago, perk8504 said:

again, YOU are prioritizing having a 100%  imprint dino in a video game over sleep (and thus, over work)

there is 0 need for 100% imprint

and I too work and feed my family, and I put those above video game achievments

I believe the topic is asking whether or not the imprinting mechanic in its current state is damaging to your health? not should you use the mechanic! as it's part of the game then people will use it regardless of whether you do or not! <3

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ninjaridz said:

I believe the topic is asking whether or not the imprinting mechanic in its current state is damaging to your health? not should you use the mechanic! as it's part of the game then people will use it regardless of whether you do or not! <3

and the answer is only if it's put above all else in your life

if you go to bed an hour earlier to account for the hour in the middle of the night you're missing (assuming the twins/triplets scenario from earlier) then there's not much damage

but if you don't have that hour, and still insist on needing a 100% imprint, then your lifestyle choices are what's damaging to your health

11 minutes ago, perk8504 said:

if you go to bed an hour earlier to account for the hour in the middle of the night you're missing (assuming the twins/triplets scenario from earlier) then there's not much damage

but if you don't have that hour, and still insist on needing a 100% imprint, then your lifestyle choices are what's damaging to your health

Your applying logic and reasoning to this !! As I said many people will at the very least try to achieve this goal of reaching 100% I'm sure you have read in previous posts many people do multiple imprinting at once because they can, now I know there is no game out there that has a "woops you've been playing this game to long timer" but the question being asked here really is should there be a mechanic in a game that requires you to play for 3/4/5 days straight! Imo no.

3 minutes ago, ninjaridz said:

Your applying logic and reasoning to this !! As I said many people will at the very least try to achieve this goal of reaching 100% I'm sure you have read in previous posts many people do multiple imprinting at once because they can, now I know there is no game out there that has a "woops you've been playing this game to long timer" but the question being asked here really is should there be a mechanic in a game that requires you to play for 3/4/5 days straight! Imo no.

shame on me...

more people should do just that when making decisions...a lot of things in this world would be a lot better

Guest BubbaCrawfish
34 minutes ago, ninjaridz said:

You should probably deal with this wildcard sooner rather then later...

Nope, curtailing on the whim of this incident, is not the right move... The person more than likely had other conditions that attributed to his death, and as I said several times, imprinting doesn't require you to be up the entire time, nor does it require you to be stationary, at the computer for such long times.

It is unfortunate that he attempted to do this, but what he was trying to do was to stream for charity... It's not the same as this imprinting.

As I said earlier on, if anything, get tribe imprinting enabled so that the tribemembers can take over and do the more minor imprints, such as feeding kibble, and petting... I personally wouldn't be confident walking other peoples dinos, due to the simple fact that if I lost it, I'd feel REAL bad on it...

12 minutes ago, perk8504 said:

just tell me one another game that is at least little know among ppl where you have to spend 4 days in row being there every 3 hours to achieve something which made it among wide popularity ...

2 minutes ago, Sigin said:

just tell me one another game that is at least little know among ppl where you have to spend 4 days in row being there every 3 hours to achieve something which made it among wide popularity ...

because other games haven't done it, this one shouldn't either?

that logic quickly makes the gaming industry very very stale

5 minutes ago, Sigin said:

that said...it's still not required

you can still play on unofficials and get reduced timers/increased efficiency

but, that's still a choice the player makes, but doesn't want to take responsibility for

Guest BubbaCrawfish
2 minutes ago, Sigin said:

I know a game currently that gives you "VIP" for being on a considerable amount of hours per week... People in that game constantly use their hours to brag about how dedicated they are.

I personally did a 36 hour stint in one go on it a few years back. Last tally I think I had 1230 hours on one account, I had 4-5 others and they all had over 800 hours on them.

I never played for the VIP, I simply played to level up my characters being that the requirement for levels was an exponential hour based system, that also required exponential ingame money to purchase them.

4 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Nope, curtailing on the whim of this incident, is not the right move... The person more than likely had other conditions that attributed to his death, and as I said several times, imprinting doesn't require you to be up the entire time, nor does it require you to be stationary, at the computer for such long times.

It is unfortunate that he attempted to do this, but what he was trying to do was to stream for charity... It's not the same as this imprinting.

As I said earlier on, if anything, get tribe imprinting enabled so that the tribemembers can take over and do the more minor imprints, such as feeding kibble, and petting... I personally wouldn't be confident walking other peoples dinos, due to the simple fact that if I lost it, I'd feel REAL bad on it...

Nothing more then time scale was being compared here from me. My fav streamer did a 30 hour stream when for honor came out why? Because! 

Still doesn't mean the question shouldn't be asked of this mechanic!

So again in isolation is this mechanic damaging to your health (regardless of whether you have any underlining medical issues)? 

Tribe imprinting was something I was trying to push past JAT during the 24 ark extra life stream a while back and his answer was and I'm quoting "I'm sure there's a mod that can do that for you" as a console player I can't begin to say how wrong he was oh well!!!!

35 minutes ago, ninjaridz said:

Right. Many of the posters are trying to change the question here, using the Logical Fallacy of the Red Herring (just looked this up, I think I got that right).

The question is, "Is imprinting unhealthy", although the OP posted it as a statement: "Imprinting is unhealthy".

The answer is for many people, Yes, it is unhealthy.

The question is not "Is imprinting required?" or "Do you need to get a 100% imprint?", or "Is it the fault of the player", etc., etc.

Comes right down to it, the game includes a mechanic that at its core, if you follow it, your health will be affected negatively (not debating whether it is permanent or deadly) for most people.

6 minutes ago, Horvath said:

Unhealthy ? Really? So is wake up 5am to work...Still no 1 complains

A lot of people do feel that being suddenly woken from deep sleep (i.e. alarm clocks) is not good for your health.This is just one article, google it yourself there are plenty of different ones to pick from. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-412283/How-alarming-Your-bedside-clock-bad-health.html

11 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Right. Many of the posters are trying to change the question here, using the Logical Fallacy of the Red Herring (just looked this up, I think I got that right).

The question is, "Is imprinting unhealthy", although the OP posted it as a statement: "Imprinting is unhealthy".

The answer is for many people, Yes, it is unhealthy.

The question is not "Is imprinting required?" or "Do you need to get a 100% imprint?", or "Is it the fault of the player", etc., etc.

Comes right down to it, the game includes a mechanic that at its core, if you follow it, your health will be affected negatively (not debating whether it is permanent or deadly) for most people.

if all you look for is a yes or no to questions, you'll be very easily swayed by by many questions to believe any number of things

"is something that suffocates thousand of people a year, and the 5th leading cause of unintentional deaths in the united states, needed?"

2 minutes ago, perk8504 said:

if all you look for is a yes or no to questions, you'll be very easily swayed by by many questions to believe any number of things

"is something that suffocates thousand of people a year, and the 5th leading cause of unintentional deaths in the united states, needed?"

Maybe you didn't read my first sentence, because there you go again:

A red herring is something that misleads or distracts from a relevant or important issue

1 minute ago, wildbill said:

Maybe you didn't read my first sentence, because there you go again:

A red herring is something that misleads or distracts from a relevant or important issue

the discussion around whether it is unhealthy very much depends on the player's value placed on it...it's not misleading at all, it is vital to the question

you want to call it a red herring because it disagrees with your stance

There is this aspect which is probably the most concerning is the actual time increment aligns with your natural REM sleep patterns which are very sensitive times for your brain. I would imagine if someone imprinted with these sleep patterns for an extended amount of time they may experience differences in there day to day life. Would they die, I personal doubt it as long as they were achieving some form of sleep but like I said I would imagine they would change in terms of personality and potential thought patterns might start to be affected. 

" REM sleep occurs in cycles of about 90-120 minutes throughout the night, and it accounts for up to 20-25% of total sleep time in adult humans "

http://www.howsleepworks.com/types_rem.html

Just now, perk8504 said:

the discussion around whether it is unhealthy very much depends on the player's value placed on it...it's not misleading at all, it is vital to the question

you want to call it a red herring because it disagrees with your stance

I think if I understand your argument, it is only unhealthy if you do 100% imprinting, so just don't do it.

I'm taking a more "black and white" view. If you do a 100% imprint it it is unhealthy. I think that is what the OP said. And I agree. 

Probably only 5% of players should try to do a 100% imprint, but then why have it in the game? Why include something that if you do it, it is unhealthy? Makes no sense to me.

No one is forcing you, blah, blah, blah. All of that is irrelevant, because if you do a 100% imprint, it is unhealthy. That is the whole point of this thread. Not sure how you can disagree with the main point of the thread.

1 minute ago, wildbill said:

I think if I understand your argument, it is only unhealthy if you do 100% imprinting, so just don't do it.

I'm taking a more "black and white" view. If you do a 100% imprint it it is unhealthy. I think that is what the OP said. And I agree. 

Probably only 5% of players should try to do a 100% imprint, but then why have it in the game? Why include something that if you do it, it is unhealthy? Makes no sense to me.

No one is forcing you, blah, blah, blah. All of that is irrelevant, because if you do a 100% imprint, it is unhealthy. That is the whole point of this thread. Not sure how you can disagree with the main point of the thread.

no

because some players, have an hour to give up (much greater than 5% of players, I'd wager) to shift their first half of sleep, so they can wake up for an hour in the middle of the night to achieve their 100% imprint

others, would have to settle for the measly 80% imprint (maybe more, maybe less, according to many in this post, you can skip a few imprints on many of the dinos and still get 100%)

1 hour ago, perk8504 said:

"is drinking wine unhealthy" 

"if it is abused, and consumed too much of, then yes...if used in moderation, then no

"is imprinting unhealthy"

"if not put above all else in your life, then no...if you give up time that you don't have, and sacrifice sleep that you can't afford to, then yes"

If you had a glass of wine every 3/4 hours for 4/5 days then yes that's pretty unhealthy! 

I don't wish to assume in 2017 (sorry I couldn't help it) but I'd wager you don't play on official servers in a large alpha size tribe because with cross server transfer you now not only have to worry about tribes on your server attacking you or trolls trying to snipe a your dinos but now there are "mega tribes to worry about going round wiping servers just because  (gotta do something with them 100% imprinted dinos right) people feel they need to match these tribes to survive!

55 minutes ago, perk8504 said:

(much greater than 5% of players, I'd wager)

If my server is anything to go by then a lot more.

55 minutes ago, perk8504 said:

others, would have to settle for the measly 80% imprint (maybe more, maybe less, according to many in this post, you can skip a few imprints on many of the dinos and still get 100%)

And that's where I sit mainly because I have great tribe members who A don't work and B play to much lul

Tribe imprinting would be perfect for my tribe as we cover all time zones and always have players on!

Archived