Imprinting Is Unhealthy.

Crows

Guest BubbaCrawfish
34 minutes ago, Z0mbie said:

I think you might have been taking bill's comment a little too seriously...

16 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Ya, I was trying to be funny :D

But the point still is, WC needs to take some responsibility for a game mechanic that triggers our OCD and makes us want to get 100% imprint no matter the consequences.

Someone mentioned that the Valentine rates may have been too easy, but I was able to do those rates with the help of my girlfriend and only lose about an hours sleep.With the normal rates, it did disrupt my sleep pattern. I found it took almost a week to get completely back to normal after raising 5 - 10 wyverns (about 4 days of imprinting). During the week after, my ability to concentrate was reduced. I was likely less productive at work and just generally a bit grumpy :D

Well, it's not funny, and the context you were using it, it's not so much a joke as it is a troll.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Morloa said:

Does it have to be changed? can't they just add more ways of achieving imprint after the Raise time. like 0-100% after raising takes 500k EXP or something that's still incredibly hard to achieve. Getting that much EXP alone is a damn achievement, maybe some Progressive system of increasing imprint percentage is what's needed in addition rather it being revamped entirely.

Glad to see some fresh ideas here, thanks.

14 hours ago, TR-8R said:

Oh right , 1 more thing , because the randomness in imprint timer . it is a disaster when you raise multiple baby or even a twin or triplet .

What will happen is when the timer decided it is time to troll and make the imprint timer for each baby 1 hour apart .

So instead of sleeping for 3 hours and get up , you only sleep like 1 hour and get up then another 1 hours waiting for other baby . 

It was hell .

@perk : I work on a fixed timetable due to my work so sleep on time and enough time is a must , or else high chance of dozing off during my work or losing focus , and you just can't run Ark in Office without your boss starring at your laptop . 

It is your choice since you have the time to go to bed early , however other don't have that luxury when they have to work and feed theirs family .

again, YOU are prioritizing having a 100%  imprint dino in a video game over sleep (and thus, over work)

there is 0 need for 100% imprint

and I too work and feed my family, and I put those above video game achievments

Gonna throw my two cents in here:

Do I think getting a full imprint on a digital creature is worth it? Not really. If you are a casual player one or two imprints you can snag in the 15 minutes you log in is okay. Nobody is forcing these players to set alarms every 4 hours to do the imprints. That's all a choice. When I play. I marathon for a good 8 hours. Stopping only to eat. Drink. Bathe. Do some menial chores. Feed the IRL pets. That's it. I make that choice. I make the Ark work around my schedule. I know my limits. I know what I can and cannot do. 

If a player can raise a giga successfully over 14 days with full imprint. That's god status right there. Congrats. You put so much effort into it and you have been rewarded. Even a minimal imprint can yield some benefits. 

Increased rates help a ton and makes it far less taxing to raise and breed Dino's  

However. If they'd add an option into the tribe manager that would allow for tribe imprinting that'd make the imprinting load a little bit easier for those who want a 100% imprint. It sucks to be at work and have one of my tribe mates say "your baby wants care and I can't do anything." 

Eitherway I'll stop rambling. Imprinting is there for those who want to do it. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. You know your limits best. 

53 minutes ago, Sideswipe said:

Gonna throw my two cents in here:

Do I think getting a full imprint on a digital creature is worth it? Not really. If you are a casual player one or two imprints you can snag in the 15 minutes you log in is okay. Nobody is forcing these players to set alarms every 4 hours to do the imprints. That's all a choice. When I play. I marathon for a good 8 hours. Stopping only to eat. Drink. Bathe. Do some menial chores. Feed the IRL pets. That's it. I make that choice. I make the Ark work around my schedule. I know my limits. I know what I can and cannot do. 

If a player can raise a giga successfully over 14 days with full imprint. That's god status right there. Congrats. You put so much effort into it and you have been rewarded. Even a minimal imprint can yield some benefits. 

Increased rates help a ton and makes it far less taxing to raise and breed Dino's  

However. If they'd add an option into the tribe manager that would allow for tribe imprinting that'd make the imprinting load a little bit easier for those who want a 100% imprint. It sucks to be at work and have one of my tribe mates say "your baby wants care and I can't do anything." 

Eitherway I'll stop rambling. Imprinting is there for those who want to do it. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. You know your limits best. 

isnt there alredy anough rewards for no life players? they have more resources, much better chance to tame rare dino, better chance to get best map spots and region dominance because they can offline raid other groups and so on ... do we rly need another reward for them for which every other person would have to sacrifice their job/vacation days/discutably even health if you consider you have to get up every 3 hour so you dont even get sleep ... i think ppl who actually have life shouldnt be beaten by not being able to get any game rewards, they should just take longer to get for them, but not be completely unreachable ... because do you seriously think that its ok to either not have job or take week vacation in order to get imprinted dinosaur in some game specially if you can lsoe that dino right next day? I wouldnt mind imprinting twice as long as someone who sits by PC 24/7, what i want is same dino as that other person can get ...

Just now, Sigin said:

isnt there alredy anough rewards for no life players? they have more resources, much better chance to tame rare dino, better chance to get best map spots and region dominance because they can offline raid other groups and so on ... do we rly need another reward for them for which every other person would have to sacrifice their job/vacation days/discutably even health if you consider you have to get up every 3 hour so you dont even get sleep ... i think ppl who actually have life shouldnt be beaten by not being able to get any game rewards, they should just take longer to get for them, but not be completely unreachable ... because do you seriously think that its ok to either not have job or take week vacation in order to get imprinted dinosaur in some game specially if you can lsoe that dino right next day? I wouldnt mind imprinting twice as long as someone who sits by PC 24/7, what i want is same dino as that other person can get ...

tell me, how making it easier for everyone, doesn't also benefit "no life players?"

how would they still not have multiples times more 100% imprinted dinos than those who play casually?

1 minute ago, Sigin said:

Ya, I think there are a lot of people who agree with you. Everyone here keeps talking about a choice. The choice they are really talking about, is to be a no lifer or have a real life. Most of us don't consider that a choice to make just so we can play a video game. The game should have real options that you can pick to accomplish all of the stuff in the game. Nothing should be unobtainable (for a reasonable person).

3 minutes ago, wildbill said:

It isn't that they wouldn't have more, it is that the casual player can get some.

and they can, on unofficial servers

if WC has envisioned official servers to be the place for their top competitive environment then they shouldn't be forced into changing the rules to make it easier, especially when they've provided other options (via unofficial servers)

you won't find many places where the top level of competition is forced to make rule changes so that casual players/competitors can achieve the same

I don't know what everyone is complaining about, I've raised gigas, quetzals, rexes, allows, all to 100% and I'm still alive. Granted now i'm also homeless, jobless, had a liver and other organs shut down from lack of sleep, and see things that aren't really there but hey I've got my strong dinos now. 

Guest BubbaCrawfish
9 minutes ago, wildbill said:

The choice they are really talking about, is to be a no lifer or have a real life.

It's actually called time management and planning, and assessing if you have the time to do such a thing...

It's also not a requirement to imprint your breeds...

Multiple choices, yet you focus on the "no lifer" aspect.

11 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

It's actually called time management and planning, and assessing if you have the time to do such a thing...

It's also not a requirement to imprint your breeds...

Multiple choices, yet you focus on the "no lifer" aspect.

I focus on the no lifer aspect, because unless you have no life (at least temporarily), you can't do some of these 100% imprints. There is no choice really, you just can't do it. For the average person, there is no amount of time management that will allow them a 100% imprint on some tames. 

7 minutes ago, perk8504 said:

and to repeat, I'm not against changing imprinting/raising to be easier...I'd enjoy it if they were

but I AM against some of these silly faulty logic paths...most specifically the cry that "it's unhealthy, don't make me do it"

Ya, no one is making anyone do it, but your choice really is "Give up your normal life for X amount of days if you want the 100% imprint" or "Don't do the 100% imprint". Why should there really be no option to get the 100% imprint for the average person?

I happen to have a girlfriend who wanted some wyverns and wanted me to spend the four days (two days of vacation) to get them raised and imprinted close to 100% (we got some to 99%, some to 95%, and I think some to 91%). I doubt most people that have a family can do this though. I am done doing it. Did it twice, and for me it was not healthy, won't do it a again for at least a few months if ever. Not sure if it was worth it.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
1 minute ago, wildbill said:

I focus on the no lifer aspect, because unless you have no life (at least temporarily), you can't do some of these 100% imprints. There is no choice really, you just can't do it. For the average person, there is no amount of time management that will allow them a 100% imprint on some tames. 

Some, but not all... And as stated, you don't NEED to imprint everything.

It's also not as if you have to spend every minute sitting at the computer.

2 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Ya, no one is making anyone do it, but your choice really is "Give up your normal life for X amount of days if you want the 100% imprint" or "Don't do the 100% imprint". Why should there really be no option to get the 100% imprint for the average person?

I happen to have a girlfriend who wanted some wyverns and wanted me to spend the four days (two days of vacation) to get them raised and imprinted close to 100% (we got some to 99%, some to 95%, and I think some to 91%). I doubt most people that have a family can do this though. I am done doing it. Did it twice, and for me it was not healthy, won't do it a again for at least a few months if ever. Not sure if it was worth it.

why should there be?

I haven't gone passed 50% I don't think

22 hours ago, wildbill said:

*Snip*

Im on Xbox so I'm not familiar with the differences between that and Stream ID's but on Xbox all you would need to do is get like a whatever amount of xbox gold card's, make a email, and setup a gamer tag. Share it with the tribesmen you trust and you're done. The other people already have the game on their xbox so they just need to logout switch over. 

This is what a lot of top FPS players do to keep the one name high on the leader boards. I knew this account that had 5 different people playing on it at different times so the name never logged off basically. 

1 hour ago, perk8504 said:

and they can, on unofficial servers

if WC has envisioned official servers to be the place for their top competitive environment then they shouldn't be forced into changing the rules to make it easier, especially when they've provided other options (via unofficial servers)

you won't find many places where the top level of competition is forced to make rule changes so that casual players/competitors can achieve the same

im pretty sure that "casual players" as you call them are majority there as in most of other games ... so from WC POV they should change imprinting for favor of many ... they should learn from mistakes of bigger companies - remember Naxxramas on vanilla WoW? do you know why they put it again into wotlk? because in vanilla almost nobody got there or beated it ...

TL;DR: would i wanna play a game where developers tell me "raptor you because you got job and real life"? no ...

2 minutes ago, Sigin said:

im pretty sure that "casual players" as you call them are majority there as in most of other games ... so from WC POV they should change imprinting for favor of many ... they should learn from mistakes of bigger companies - remember Naxxramas on vanilla WoW? do you know why they put it again into wotlk? because in vanilla almost nobody got there or beated it ...

TL;DR: would i wanna play a game where developers tell me "raptor you because you got job and real life"? no ...

they far from say "raptor you" because of that

you just can't get the very top top of imprints...but can still get very good ones

not being able to get a 100% giga, and can only get 70%, is very far from "raptor you"

Meh on the list of things to change/fix imprinting is not in my top 5 of issues. Lag, DC's, missing tames, disappearing items, wilds walking through walls, dinos not spawning, etc. etc.

Imprinting might get some tweaks over time but I personally hope its not what they are loading all their resources into. 

tbh gen breeding is going to do a lot more for you, then once you have multiple gen's commit to a good imprint. 

On 2/18/2017 at 8:26 AM, Crows said:

Imprinting Is Unhealthy.

I'm genuinely surprised that no one is concerned about imprinting bred tames. I'm not making this in an attempt to get it nerfed or to complain about me not having enough time to imprint to 100%, no - I'm just saying that when you look at this game from an outer perspective and then look at breeding, it's ridiculously long for a game's standards and imprinting to 100% is even more ridiculous because you literally have to force yourself awake to imprint every 4 hours, which is just unhealthy considering the fact that it's a game and tames can be lost easily through multiple ways. 

Of course people don't really care though as they'll just accept this and call it "hardcore" and think it's actually pro or skill to force yourself up awake to imprint, so nothing will ever change, but I just think it's crazy. 

No one is forcing you to breed if you want to well welcome to no sleep and crazy shifts it is what it is. Again the game is in Alpha so they say things could change.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Just to be pre-emptive, some guy just got reported dead after trying to do a 24 hour stream on another game... Doing a stint like that is not healthy (Even guiness give break times of 10 mins per hour), but also his underlying issues would also add to this, as in his diet, and other factors such as smoking.

I personally have a high metabolism, and low cholesterol even though I eat horrid foods that nutritionists would be shocked at.

5 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Just to be pre-emptive, some guy just got reported dead after trying to do a 24 hour stream on another game... Doing a stint like that is not healthy (Even guiness give break times of 10 mins per hour), but also his underlying issues would also add to this, as in his diet, and other factors such as smoking.

I personally have a high metabolism, and low cholesterol even though I eat horrid foods that nutritionists would be shocked at.

ya, there's a number of things that would have to factor in there...I made it to 40 hours awake straight (not gaming, mostly homework in college, and then walking around after so long to see how long I'd make it)

at about 38-39 hours though, started to hallucinate (no drugs outside of caffeine and a little big of nicotine from a cigar), and nearly falling asleep while walking...decided it was time for bed

IF I were to try a stint longer than about 6 hours, I'd be putting myself on a treadmill at the very least

Guest BubbaCrawfish
1 minute ago, perk8504 said:

IF I were to try a stint longer than about 6 hours, I'd be putting myself on a treadmill at the very least

Something for sure... It's not a good thing to be awake focusing on a screen for literally the entire time. DVT and all that goes with it is a serious issue, but it can be worked around. Get blood pumping, stretch, move around, relax your eyes, e.t.c.

Last Guinness gaming record that was broken the guy cached up the 10 minute breaks together so he could sleep for a couple of hours each stint.

2 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

I read about this too! sure there was some other circumstances involved but I instantly thought of this thread, the idea of 20+ hour hand feeds and 4/5 day of imprinting every 3/4 hours is just plain crazy regardless of whether it is optional!

You should probably deal with this wildcard sooner rather then later....

Archived