Imprinting Is Unhealthy.

Crows

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sithisvoid said:

He was at an internet cafe. Want to make more assumptions or can we get back to reality?

I don't care where he was, if his parents cared about him, they should have done something...THAT is reality

the gaming company DID NOT make him put the game above essentials to life HE did that and his parents LET it happen

Just now, perk8504 said:

I don't care where he was, if his parents cared about him, they should have done something...THAT is reality

the gaming company DID NOT make him put the game above essential to life HE did that and his parents LET it happen

Not sure how that has anything to do with anything. You're drawing a strawman argument out of what i said and trying to change the subject to this instance of a child dying and whos responsibility it is when in fact the situation remains unhealthy either way. And in your strawman you have yourself admitted that extended gaming is unhealthy and unacceptable which can be seen in your outrage and demands for someone to go to prison. Thank you for proving my point for me.  

1 minute ago, Sithisvoid said:

Not sure how that has anything to do with anything. You're drawing a strawman argument out of what i said and trying to change the subject to this instance of a child dying and whos responsibility it is when in fact the situation remains unhealthy either way. And in your strawman you have yourself admitted that extended gaming is unhealthy and unacceptable which can be seen in your outrage and demands for someone to go to prison. Thank you for proving my point for me.  

YOU brought up the boy

if they boy was under the parents care (assuming by boy, he's not out on his own yet) then yes, THEY are responsible for his death

in fact, bringing up someone dying from playing diablo works against all your arguments

there is no game mechanic in diablo that requires someone to stay up for 40 hours on end, and yet, he did it...he killed himself over the video game...despite there being no comparable mechanic to imprinting

so you want to talk about strawmen...how bout you take a look at yourself

After imprinting my Wyvern other imprints dont hurt nearly as bad, having elements of RNG on top of a already tedious effort over the course of 5 days was terrible. I quit playing for like a week afterwards because of the burn. 

I see imprinting being a little too much for your average player base, but if you find that getting that 100% is really worth it (selling, trading, etc.) then why not dish out some cash for a "Breeder" account that your tribe could log into. I committed to 100% on just a few creatures just to say I did it but after that unless its a perfect tame gen 2+ Im not even gonna think about 100%. 

47 minutes ago, BaMxBooZeLLed said:

After imprinting my Wyvern other imprints dont hurt nearly as bad, having elements of RNG on top of a already tedious effort over the course of 5 days was terrible. I quit playing for like a week afterwards because of the burn. 

I see imprinting being a little too much for your average player base, but if you find that getting that 100% is really worth it (selling, trading, etc.) then why not dish out some cash for a "Breeder" account that your tribe could log into. I committed to 100% on just a few creatures just to say I did it but after that unless its a perfect tame gen 2+ Im not even gonna think about 100%. 

Ha ha. Could this be why WC loves this mechanic? How many of these BREEDER accounts are there and how much extra money is WC getting from these? Could this be a real source of revenue to them?

Many games allow you to have multiple characters. Some 5, but at least some number more than 1, because they do have mechanics like this, that in all reality, do require you to have access to more than one character if you have any kind of real life. 

This is a mechanic best done with multiple characters, I think pretty much everyone can agree on that. Yet WC does not let you have more than one character per steam ID, so you need to have access to more than one steam ID to have more than one character in the game that you can play. Many do this by creating a shared steam ID and pitching in to buy another copy of the game for this ID.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Even if people die from things, there's usually contributing factors. Media picks it up as they died from playing too much, yet chances are he had bad health in other ways.

No exercise, Bad diet, e.t.c.

Same goes for many other situations. It's like people don't die from falls, it's the sudden stop that gets them.

14 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Even if people die from things, there's usually contributing factors. Media picks it up as they died from playing too much, yet chances are he had bad health in other ways.

No exercise, Bad diet, e.t.c.

Same goes for many other situations. It's like people don't die from falls, it's the sudden stop that gets them.

Ah, so you are saying if WC pushes us off a cliff, it is not their fault that gravity causes us to fall very fast and hit the bottom with fatal results?

Ah, so no matter what they do, it is just OK, because some players will do it and find a way to survive (I guess the really hard core gamers just make sure they are wearing a parachute and pull the cord before they hit the bottom).

This seems to sum up the two arguments for and against. One side says WC shouldn't push us off the clif, the other side says that is no problem, I have a parachute :D

9 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Ah, so you are saying if WC pushes us off a cliff, it is not their fault that gravity causes us to fall very fast and hit the bottom with fatal results?

Ah, so no matter what they do, it is just OK, because some players will do it and find a way to survive (I guess the really hard core gamers just make sure they are wearing a parachute and pull the cord before they hit the bottom).

This seems to sum up the two arguments for and against. One side says WC shouldn't push us off the clif, the other side says that is no problem, I have a parachute :D

LOL....Nice one!

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, wildbill said:

Ha ha. Could this be why WC loves this mechanic? How many of these BREEDER accounts are there and how much extra money is WC getting from these? Could this be a real source of revenue to them?

Many games allow you to have multiple characters. Some 5, but at least some number more than 1, because they do have mechanics like this, that in all reality, do require you to have access to more than one character if you have any kind of real life. 

This is a mechanic best done with multiple characters, I think pretty much everyone can agree on that. Yet WC does not let you have more than one character per steam ID, so you need to have access to more than one steam ID to have more than one character in the game that you can play. Many do this by creating a shared steam ID and pitching in to buy another copy of the game for this ID.

I'm fairly certain (though it's possible I'm wrong) that the 1 character per server per steamid thing is something more of a staple for survival sandbox games, and not something that's specific to ARK itself.

As for imprinting, I'm torn about it. I mean, I get it, people have "lives" (though I've already stated it once before what my stance on this is) and the notion of having to hop on every three to four hours to care for a virtual dinosaur is just so taxing on said "life". At the same time, I understand what WC is doing. With breeding and imprinting, they are aping the care of children in real life as well as implementing a mechanic that is one of the last few things in the game that could be called as something of an achievement. I mean, if anyone here that has these so-called lives have ever had children, they'd know that babies don't give two figs if you get 8 hours of sleep or not.

In summation, I do think that the 4 hour interval is taxing, but at the same time I believe that if it were to be changed then it has to be replaced with a mechanic that still makes it so that getting a 100% imprint on a creature is unattainable for everyone unable or unwilling to put in the effort.

On Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Crows said:

Imprinting Is Unhealthy.

I'm genuinely surprised that no one is concerned about imprinting bred tames. I'm not making this in an attempt to get it nerfed or to complain about me not having enough time to imprint to 100%, no - I'm just saying that when you look at this game from an outer perspective and then look at breeding, it's ridiculously long for a game's standards and imprinting to 100% is even more ridiculous because you literally have to force yourself awake to imprint every 4 hours, which is just unhealthy considering the fact that it's a game and tames can be lost easily through multiple ways. 

Of course people don't really care though as they'll just accept this and call it "hardcore" and think it's actually pro or skill to force yourself up awake to imprint, so nothing will ever change, but I just think it's crazy. 

Agreed

1 hour ago, wildbill said:

what a terrible analogy

WC neither pushed you off the cliff, nor even put you on the edge

they built a cliff...YOU walked up to it, and if someone dies, THEY jumped off

to declare wildcard is pushing anyone is an attempt to remove all personal accountability, making it someone else's fault that you can't prioritize your life for yourself

Guest BubbaCrawfish

^^ Exactly...

My point was that even though you died because you were falling, it wasn't the fall that actually killed you, it was the sudden stop at the bottom... Didn't say anything about who did it.

So @wildbill @Z0mbie you should stop and think about what's being conveyed rather than simply trying to make out that the statement really relates directly to the issue that you have.

It was an analogy stating about when one thing is stated to have killed you, when it is indeed something else.

2 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

In summation, I do think that the 4 hour interval is taxing, but at the same time I believe that if it were to be changed then it has to be replaced with a mechanic that still makes it so that getting a 100% imprint on a creature is unattainable for everyone unable or unwilling to put in the effort.

This is my point of view as well. It shouldn't be easy. It should require effort. Which is one of the reasons why I don't think that tribe imprinting is the way to go. That literally takes ALL effort out of it because you're just letting someone else do it for you. And the fact that what I said earlier was ignored and glossed over makes me think that there's a mindset that "I deserve to have the best even though I don't want to do anything to earn it, but the imprinting feature should still be there just to keep my competitors who are in smaller tribes from having what I have."

But 'effort' doesn't need to mean sacrificing needed sleep or giving a video game top priority in life either. And it shouldn't. A lot of good suggestions have been given as to how it could be improved, such as lengthening the time between imprints but also lengthening the overall time of the breed. Or gaining small imprints through interactions even into adulthood.

As for the arguments against change, there are a few things that I'm seeing be said over and over again:

It's fine the way it is - This is not in any way a valid counter argument. At best it's just an opinion, and it's no more valid than the opinion of those who think that imprinting is not fine the way it is.

All you need are time management skills. GIT GUD!!! - In a different discussion that might have been a valid point, but this discussion is about the effect that waking up every few hours has on the health and well-being of the average person. Time management skills have nothing to do with that.

There's lot's of things in life that are unhealthy, including playing videogames!!! Why should imprinting be any different? Accept accountability for your own decisions!!! - Well, if a mother is constantly putting a bottle of Pepsi on the dinner table her children have the ability to choose whether they will drink it or not so they have a large measure of accountability if that Pepsi makes them fat, rots their teeth, or gives them acne. However the mother has some accountability too because she was always putting it in front of them instead of encouraging them to drink water.

Now, to be more in line with what WC is doing with the imprinting mechanic, imagine that the mother not only put it on the table but actually rewarded her children for choosing it instead of water. Everyone who drinks the Pepsi gets to go to the beach. Everyone who drinks water has to stay home. That's essentially what WC is doing. It's your choice whether you set an alarm and get up every few hours, but WC rewards you for doing so with a much stronger dinosaur. And there's absolutely no reason that the imprinting mechanic needs to be set up to even require that. There are other ways to make it a challenge.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

In that same reasoning Lockjaw, we can say that everybodys opinions, are simply opinions.

"Suggestions" or not, this is a discussion thread as it's not a suggestion... It's more soap-boxing and grandstanding than anything suggestive.

Oh right , 1 more thing , because the randomness in imprint timer . it is a disaster when you raise multiple baby or even a twin or triplet .

What will happen is when the timer decided it is time to troll and make the imprint timer for each baby 1 hour apart .

So instead of sleeping for 3 hours and get up , you only sleep like 1 hour and get up then another 1 hours waiting for other baby . 

It was hell .

@perk : I work on a fixed timetable due to my work so sleep on time and enough time is a must , or else high chance of dozing off during my work or losing focus , and you just can't run Ark in Office without your boss starring at your laptop . 

It is your choice since you have the time to go to bed early , however other don't have that luxury when they have to work and feed theirs family .

1 minute ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

In that same reasoning Lockjaw, we can say that everybodys opinions, are simply opinions.

"Suggestions" or not, this is a discussion thread as it's not a suggestion... It's more soap-boxing and grandstanding than anything suggestive.

Yes everyone's opinions are just opinions, no matter what their viewpoint is. But reasons have been given as to why the system is flawed, and suggestions have been given as to how it can be improved. You can disagree, but just saying "It's fine the way it is" doesn't explain why it's fine, or why changing it would be a bad thing.

More than once now you've accused those who disagree with you of pushing a personal agenda. But when you try to shut down the proposed changes without giving any real reason for the objection you give the impression that you're trying to keep your edge over your competitors rather than thinking about what's good for the game or the playerbase as a whole. Someone who does that is someone pushing a personal agenda.

3 hours ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

^^ Exactly...

My point was that even though you died because you were falling, it wasn't the fall that actually killed you, it was the sudden stop at the bottom... Didn't say anything about who did it.

So @wildbill @Z0mbie you should stop and think about what's being conveyed rather than simply trying to make out that the statement really relates directly to the issue that you have.

It was an analogy stating about when one thing is stated to have killed you, when it is indeed something else.

I think you might have been taking bill's comment a little too seriously...

10 minutes ago, Z0mbie said:

I think you might have been taking bill's comment a little too seriously...

Ya, I was trying to be funny :D

But the point still is, WC needs to take some responsibility for a game mechanic that triggers our OCD and makes us want to get 100% imprint no matter the consequences.

Someone mentioned that the Valentine rates may have been too easy, but I was able to do those rates with the help of my girlfriend and only lose about an hours sleep.With the normal rates, it did disrupt my sleep pattern. I found it took almost a week to get completely back to normal after raising 5 - 10 wyverns (about 4 days of imprinting). During the week after, my ability to concentrate was reduced. I was likely less productive at work and just generally a bit grumpy :D

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:40 AM, ciabattaroll said:

Does it have to be changed? can't they just add more ways of achieving imprint after the Raise time. like 0-100% after raising takes 500k EXP or something that's still incredibly hard to achieve. Getting that much EXP alone is a damn achievement, maybe some Progressive system of increasing imprint percentage is what's needed in addition rather than it being revamped entirely.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
2 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

More than once now you've accused those who disagree with you of pushing a personal agenda.

No, I have pointed out that they are mentioning issues that aren't anyone elses, and making them "fit" their agenda... Big difference...

Archived