Imprinting Is Unhealthy.

Crows

Guest BubbaCrawfish
49 minutes ago, Tattare said:

You shouldn't be imprinting every day every time the timer ends.  Just imprint on your best stock if you need it for a boss fight.   Imprinting slows you down when trying to breed for stats.

Just to make it clear, I upped you for that, not the time statement... Shouldn't matter how long it takes to breed, that's all regarding planning and knowing that you have the time, and resources to do such a thing.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you made up facts because you watched deadliest catch and saw they work long shifts.That is also a tiny amount of people and the entire show is based on how exhausting and hard the work is,it doesn't even fit your argument. I agree imprinting should be done on your schedule that works and is a personal decision. But you can't call people out for not knowing about the human body then make up statistics that are not supported. I'm happy for the ppl that can imprint and end up with baller mounts. I can't so I don't 

Guest BubbaCrawfish
4 minutes ago, Jballs2213 said:

But failed to mention the hours they sit on their ass letting pots soak.

Is that not what you are assuming making out that you have to almost be awake for all those hours in between?

That is what sleep deprivation is, isn't it... You have to be awake for the whole time, and they keep waking you up with very short intervals... This isn't the same at all.

Everyone seems to forget the original excuse they had for long breeding times. This was brought up before imprinting on just feedings. The developers said that breeding is meant to be a TRIBE process, multiple people working together not how imprinting is now. This is still unhealthy for a game but its a game, its their vision and they will add what they want. I like imprinting its great but i only do 100% on my personal tames as well not tribe tames or breeders. That was their goal was to make your personal tame better for just you.

6 minutes ago, icycold2367 said:

Everyone seems to forget the original excuse they had for long breeding times. This was brought up before imprinting on just feedings. The developers said that breeding is meant to be a TRIBE process, multiple people working together not how imprinting is now. This is still unhealthy for a game but its a game, its their vision and they will add what they want. I like imprinting its great but i only do 100% on my personal tames as well not tribe tames or breeders. That was their goal was to make your personal tame better for just you.

You can still raise with your tribe. Everyone can feed and care for the dino. And everyone gets an advantage from an imprinted Dino.

28 minutes ago, icycold2367 said:

Tribe mates cant imprint your dino only you can. Also if youve ever ridden a 100% imprint dino that 30% dam/atk bonus is great to have. Once again though only you can imprint your tribe can feed it though to keep it alive but not imprint.

Did you read what I wrote? Try again please.

P.S. Imprinting increases the stats of a dino besides the 30% bonus. And everyone in your tribe benefits from stat increases.

7 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

You are not forced to wake up. Because imprinting is optional.

Just because it's optional doesn't mean the mechanic is fine.  Wildcard are actively promoting and rewarding an activity that's unhealthy (no, it's not going to kill you, but it's not good for you either).

Interrupting normal sleep patterns will cause fatigue.  Fatigue is bad.  Would you disagree with either of those statements?

Why is it acceptable behaviour for a company to encourage people to engage in activities that are bad for them?

Rather than just look at this specific instance, take a step back and imagine an array of behaviours organised from best to worst.  The effects of imprinting will fit on that scale.  As you go further towards the "worst" end of the scale I'd assume that even you would draw the line somewhere and say that's not acceptable for a company to reward and encourage that type of behaviour (even if it's "optional").  

So I think it's a reasonable assumption that most people will agree that companies have a responsibility not to encourage and reward unhealthy behaviour, and the only real debate would be around where you draw the line between what is ok and what isn't.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

It's not that hard to get your tribemates to look at what it requires, and let you know if they've got it, are getting it, or if there is no hope at all to get it.

@Kallor I do not disagree on the fact that heavily broken sleeping rhythms can cause fatigue and health damage if they happen over a long period of time. What I disagree on, and what I already said here for like, 3 times, that the "sleeping rhythm" you will have when you imprint for a week will not cause any damage to you or cause fatigue because you can still sleep for multiple hours with only 1 or maximal 2 alarms during the night if you want to imprint as fast as possible. But if you do not hurry and imprint every 3 hours, you can still get a 100% imprint if you skip them and sleep for 8 hours a night. People here are exaggregating it to insane levels without having an idea.

Nothing will happen to you if you wake up twice every night for a week unless you have actual health issues. But in that case you know that you shouldn't do that anyway. Every parent ever who had a child, had to wake up every 3 or 4 hours at night to feed their kid or calm it down when it starts to cry. And babies aren't grown-up in a week. Almost every couple had to take care of a baby for months. Not a week.

My point was more about the high level concept of a company rewarding individuals for engaging in activities that aren't good for them.  I'm not interested in trying to categorise the precise effects imprinting will have on the human body.  

From your point of view it's insignificant any therefore it's fine.

From my point of view it's Wildcards action of rewarding 'bad' that isn't really acceptable.

Most people wake up at least once a night to use the bathroom anyway, you're just scheduling the break in your sleep a little.

I will counter one point though, whether you can skip an imprint and still make it to 100% depends entirely on what the timers do. I missed out on 100% on an anky (prior to the event, not during) because I was 30 minutes late one time, and five minutes late another. Had I not been 30 minutes late for the one, or only been 3 minutes late for the other, I'd have made it without a problem. Every other imprint I was standing there waiting when the time ran out and it requested something. Every time it wanted to cuddle, so there was literally about a half second delay. That anky did nothing but long timers. The system is designed so that if you are on time every time, and get nothing but long timers, you can still 100%. But being just a little late on long timers means you miss out on a minimum of 1 imprint opportunity.

My Rex and the brontos I've raised have all been good, some long, some short timers, so I've finished early on them.

First, let me start off by saying I have not YET bred dinos. However, I do have a couple eggs waiting to be hatched, and was given a baby to finish raising.

Now, if you're still reading and haven't already disregarded my post, thank you for having a considering mind that I may have some points. Point 1: how many of you actually saying interrupted sleep causes little to no problems if done for one week are health professionals? I was once a CNA (got burnt out and let my license go), I also have an associates degree in Health Information, along with my Aunt being a Nurse Manager. I've taken Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2, and even Introduction to Psychology. I've taken other medical classes as well, but those I see as most relevant. Having a few cases of interrupted sleep is not harmful, but doing it a lot of long periods is. Those who use parents with kids as an example (this from a MOTHER), stop. First off, every child is different. I've had some friends who had their child blissfully sleep a full 6 hours. I've had some who've had to be up every 2 hours. Step back from your game mentality and look at the proven information. Postpartum depression is in a higher rate among mothers who get less sleep over long amounts of time; these are generally the mothers that end up killing their child if no help is given in way of medical, counseling, family assistance, or even state assistance. I have depression, and had postpartum; I also had my husband, mom, dad, and my Aunt to take over for at least a few hours for me to relax. Any mother will tell you, they either had help at some point (baby visits grandma/aunt/cousin/best friend for a weekend, just to catch up on sleep), or their partner also took over some of the times. Have you seen a mother who has had a child up at all hours of the night? Does she look like she is doing well? No, and just because it can be done, does not mean it should. Less so for a game where it means little. So hanging the proverbial carrot before the horse to make it walk over fire is NOT an acceptable act. Also, your comparison is insulting. If you don't feed your dino, if you don't care for your dino, and it dies, you can just go out and tame another. If you don't care for your baby, feed your baby and it dies, not only are you facing criminal charges, but YOU CANNOT REPLACE A CHILD! So for the peace and sanity of all, stop comparing a video game to raising a child!

I have a very odd sleep pattern...It's after 3 am my time. I get little sleep as it is, I get massive headaches and feel sleepy if I get too much sleep. I do get up now an then to go to the bathroom. However, I also need about an hour or 2 to fall back asleep, and don't use that as an excuse that I can log on while I wait to fall asleep. If you are doing something, that is not getting you to sleep, that is keeping you awake.

Now onto this running, completely unhelpful excuse of 'no one is forcing you to'. Please, if you have nothing to contribute, it's best if you just not type out a response. No, no one is forcing anyone to play the game. That is what it boils down to. Breeding/imprinting is a part of the game. Be it for boss fights, because you want this stat or that mutation, or what ever, it is part of the game. So why make it a part of the game that is not do-able for anyone? Second, the excuse of getting a tribemate to take over while you sleep. Wake up call!! Not everyone has active tribe mates, no do they trust others to join a tribe. May seem odd or whatever, but my tribe consists of myself, my husband, and 2 friends. I'm the only active tribe member; I don't mind, I get a sense of accomplishment whenever I do something, and though I'm not the tribe leader, I consider it my tribe. I can't fault them, hubs finds the game boring (he dislikes any game where you are grinding...he also dislikes quests in RPGs that make you go back and forth 5+ times), 1 friend works a lot and has other games he considers more of a priority, since I'm in Ark and taking care of that. The last has health issues and often isn't even on his computer or any of his consoles. I want a relaxing atmosphere (hence PvE), to play and such my way, not having to conform to what the tribe leader wants for fear of being kicked out, or having things I gather/tame/raise being taken, without asking if I had plans for it first, just on the basis of 'it's the tribes.' So I know I won't ever get 100% imprinting, I've accepted that; it's not right for others to dismiss the views of others who would like a fair shot at getting a decent imprint because the current system is flawed.

It is flawed; asking someone to log into the game and interrupt their sleep or work day, for a 3D computer model, is ridiculous and needs to be fixed in some fashion.

@Musketeer That was the other point that I meant to address. Tribemates can feed, they can ensure the trough is stocked, but they cannot imprint. Or, say you get a baby from another tribe and you're taking the time to raise it, you cannot, in any way, imprint. I spent 2 hours staying at base, checking on the baby anky I had because it would want care in 2 hours...to find that it wanted care from the person from the other tribe who hatched it. As I jokingly stated to that person, 'Now I feel slightly rejected.' It was frustrating to have spend all that time, once it hit juvie stage, waiting around when I could do nothing for the imprinting. I could've been gathering more meat and berries, gathering metal for ingots...something other than checking on the little thing.

1 hour ago, Kallor said:

Just because it's optional doesn't mean the mechanic is fine.  Wildcard are actively promoting and rewarding an activity that's unhealthy (no, it's not going to kill you, but it's not good for you either).

Interrupting normal sleep patterns will cause fatigue.  Fatigue is bad.  Would you disagree with either of those statements?

Why is it acceptable behaviour for a company to encourage people to engage in activities that are bad for them?

Rather than just look at this specific instance, take a step back and imagine an array of behaviours organised from best to worst.  The effects of imprinting will fit on that scale.  As you go further towards the "worst" end of the scale I'd assume that even you would draw the line somewhere and say that's not acceptable for a company to reward and encourage that type of behaviour (even if it's "optional").  

So I think it's a reasonable assumption that most people will agree that companies have a responsibility not to encourage and reward unhealthy behaviour, and the only real debate would be around where you draw the line between what is ok and what isn't.

This is what I mean!

I personally love my sleep and sometimes I have trouble sleeping like most people, so every hour is valuable to me but if my thought process was all about "Right, must wake up in 4 hours, load up a game and click this/that then go back to sleep." I'd quickly begin to see that this isn't what a game is supposed to be. Also, I can't even get back to sleep once I've been woken up so it would ruin me (even though that's personal, just thought I'd add that in anyway.)

The short definition of a game is to play, have fun, be entertained - how is THAT (what I just described) fun or entertaining? we know it isn't, but a lot of people seem to think it's perfectly acceptable because it has been in this game for however long now bla bla and everybody has just passively accepted that it's part of the game and isn't a must. Of course it's optional, of course you don't have to do it, but when you don't do it, you feel as if you're not progressing your dino to its fullest strength/capability and all because you don't want to wake up every 4 hours IRL.  

Guest BubbaCrawfish

It's your choice to attempt to breed your dinos, it's up to you as to whether it will be imprinted or not... You don't need to imprint everything.

If you are to imprint, then the bonus comes from your effort. not all dinos are worth the imprint, and you can't always give what the dinos will want at whatever time anyway...

10 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Why don't all parents have serious health damage after waking up multiple times at night and caring for a baby every 3-4 hours for what? Months? A year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postpartum_depression

Though all things aside, if your argument hinges on "Arctic Fishermen can manage it!" when talking about a video game, you might want to take a step back. Further, what you're talking about - staggered sleep patterns - is not something you simply adopt at a whim, it's a long-term decision that you have you shape your lifestyle around, and is based on cyclic periods of waking and sleeping (e.g. 3 hours awake, 3 hours asleep, 3 hours awake again, etc.). What you're describing (Sleep a few hours, up for 10 minutes, back to sleep, back up for a short period) is more in line with the kind of sleep disruption suffered by people with sleep apnia.

You're also neglecting to take into account how different people's bodies react to sleeping and waking - many people have difficulty returning to sleep once it's interrupted; not everyone can just fall straight back into bed asleep after waking, as anyone who's been woken by a car accident or other loud disturbance at 5 AM and lost the remaining 4 hours of sleep can attest.

tl;dr: You shouldn't have to restucture your lifestyle around a video game to remain competitive. And if you're not restructuring your lifestyle around a staggered sleeping pattern, then yes, what you are doing is bad for your health.

I find this excuse of "it's optional", "no one is forcing you," so on and so forth to be a rather pathetic argument. Give me one valid, strong argument as to how this current system is acceptable, without using any variant of those phrases of 'optional,' 'no one is forcing you,' 'you don't have to,' and so on. It's part of the game. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be implemented. Let me ask you this, are you willing to play a game that has achievements, and not try for the achievements? No, you're going to try for the achievements, even going so far as to look up 'how to's' and possible tricks to get those really difficult ones to get the wonderful "100% completion".

From what I understand, doing an imprint gives you a bonus, specifically to the person who did the imprinting. Feel free to give me more information if I'm missing something, but everything I've read it's a "30% bonus to the rider" if that rider is the person who did the imprinting. Again, this is what I've read. So let's say you have a 10 person tribe. Person 4 hatched a Rex that has the perfect stats for melee, stamina, and health. Weight is decent, but can be fixed by leveling up and putting points in it, same with movement. Person 4 was able to get the hatchling to baby state, but has to log off for sleep because they have work/classes the next day. Person 2 takes over the feeding of the Rex. Oh, but guess what, Person 2 can't do a lick of imprinting on baby Rex, because it wants care from Person 4. So should Person 4 be penalized for needing proper sleep by having the perfect baby Rex that couldn't be imprinted?

Scenario 2: A single person tribe. Guess what people, it happens! Sure this game is all about having tribes and tribe mates, but people get bored with the game, move on to other things, just aren't that interested anymore...or have OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS than video games to focus on. So your 10 person tribe can, over time, slowly dwindle down to 1-4 players. Now what? Do you abandon those other players on the off chance they never come back, only to find that they signed in one day, discovered they're dead and kicked out of the tribe. Now you and/or your tribe is getting talked about badly for taking their stuff and kicking them out. Life happens, people are going to go on long hiatus from time to time. So you are a tiny tribe, you want to imprint your rexes, gigas, and other dinos that could benefit you from having this imprinting bonus...but you can't, because you need sleep. 

It has nothing to do with effort; I put in a lot of effort, but Friday I spent the day in bed, or in the bathroom, from being sick. So was my husband, my other tribe mate. One friend works long hours, hence why he is never on anymore, and the other has had major migraines that he can't look at the screens when they hit, and can't afford those gamer glasses yet. I'm in Ark almost every day, several hours a day...I'm also a mom, and my son has Karate. So my day of playing on Ark is cut down to maybe 7 hours (bringing me to 3 am) if I want to push the sleep limit. It's rather difficult to function on 3 hours of sleep a night over a few weeks time, nor is it healthy. Keep in mind, I haven't even bred, hatched, though I am currently raising a baby I was given.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
1 hour ago, Leania said:

pathetic

It's not a pathetic argument though... It's an optional boost as you're not losing anything by not doing it, you are only gaining... It's supposed to be a challenge to make you work to earn it...

Why is everything that contradicts what you think "pathetic"?...

Archived